Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros

KellyScottMad, Sep 03, 2013

fredmugs, Jan 18, 2013

trxxpaxxs, Jul 22, 2014

od_sf, Apr 27, 2012

dmorgan310, Oct 16, 2013

Jcarter1221, Nov 10, 2013

Sludgeman, Sep 14, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Purchasing this beer I knew good things were to come. I wanted everything to be correct before enjoying ie. temperature, glassware, timing...ect. I got the temperature down, suitable glassware, and I knew that everything was perfect, the stars were aligned. I put my first crack into the year old seal and foam started going everywhere. I was in shock and, as fate would have it, standing over a carpet, therefore the bottle neck went into the mouth. It's a laughable setback, one that I'll surely remember.
BB 03/02/11

Appearance:
The beer poured a perfect 1 inch light tan head that stuck around for approximately 5 minutes. A dense 1cm head was constant after that, the beer is clearly well carbonated. I observe fine particulate matter floating around the depths of a deep brown ale. The beer gives off a cola brown held up to the light, lacing is observable. The beer breaths life into my evening, it's makes me quite anxious for what's to come!

Smell:
The beer is different than your average Belgian. A different recipe or yeast character created a beer with complexity and a truly unique ale for my olfactory interpretation. I get notes of a raisin fruitiness and yeast culture funkiness. I am now wondering what to expect with the taste, but certain of its drinkability.

Taste:
Super rich and earthy with more intense notes of the raisin, tobacco, fig, and keytone. This beer is excellently balanced with a semi-sweet first sip and slightly dry finish. The beer is thick like a loaf of bread, yet light and airy like a slice cut from that loaf. The bread comes out more as you approach the yeast cloudiness lurking below. I appreciate the subtle changes in flavor as you work your way down, it gives the beer a smooth earthiness characteristic.

Mouthfeel:
The beer feels like a typical Belgian ale, it has richness with adequate funk to keep your senses guessing. I am still guessing as to what I feel in the beer's initial fruit presentation, but a semi-dry finish keeps me coming back for more. Well balanced flavors with a lot of intricacies that make it a definite palate pleaser.

Drinkability:
I have not experienced a beer quite like this, it is different than other dubbels I've had yet possesses recurrent similarities that make it unmistakably Belgian. The beer would pair nicely with a variety of foods because it offers complexity yet balance and therefore would not detract heavily. I liked the beer at a slightly cooler temperature (45-50 degrees Fahrenheit recommended), but I wonder how room temperature would have suited.

ThePorterSorter, Dec 27, 2010

ceetee26, Oct 02, 2012

2neardead, Oct 20, 2012

Bottle into chalice.

Pours a a purplish-brown color, murky, with a thin, fluffy tan head that fades into a thin, creamy cap that lasts the entire beer.

Nose is light dark fruits and brown sugar, with some spicy yeast lending a light, doughy character to the smell. Just a hint of spicy alcohol lends some interesting depth.

Taste is intense - up front, you get a big, yeasty, doughy malt note full of dark fruit and some brown sugar, followed by a sweet, rich lingering dark fruit note that fades into a dry, slightly yeasty finish.

Mouthfeel is crisp, lightly scrubbing, with a fluffy mouthfeel and medium body.

JohnQVegas, Feb 10, 2009