Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Sampled from the 330ml bottle. Date 19/08/05 on the back label.

Poured into my red wine glass with a boldly cascading tan head that grew to 3 inches with a nice pour. It subsided with crackles and pops to a thick creamy luxurious delicate layer over the beer. The beer is ruby tinted deep brown.

The mild aroma is of generic fruit, raisin, cinnamon, and a soft spiciness (the hops?).

As I sip away at this lovely brew, it tries to defy my attempts to put it down on paper. It's so ephemeral and subtle and different. Where to start? It begins with thick and chewy, loud and plain chocolate. It's fairly sweet to start, but a dryness crescendos into a bitterness that isn't quite hop bitterness nor burnt astringency. The dryness is tailed by warming alcohol, but then it fades to leave a syrupy coating in the mouth. This is earthy with generic fruity esters, maybe of melon. As I sip on, the bitterness lingers a little bit longer and cuts down on the syrupy finish. Carbonation level is on the mild side, which is perfect (the Belgian bottles I've been trying have been on the high side).

These Belgian ales are all so different. The dubbel and trippel classifications don't even tell you that much. Just be ready to sit and sip and enjoy. This one is definitely a winner.

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Purchasing this beer I knew good things were to come. I wanted everything to be correct before enjoying ie. temperature, glassware, timing...ect. I got the temperature down, suitable glassware, and I knew that everything was perfect, the stars were aligned. I put my first crack into the year old seal and foam started going everywhere. I was in shock and, as fate would have it, standing over a carpet, therefore the bottle neck went into the mouth. It's a laughable setback, one that I'll surely remember.
BB 03/02/11

Appearance:
The beer poured a perfect 1 inch light tan head that stuck around for approximately 5 minutes. A dense 1cm head was constant after that, the beer is clearly well carbonated. I observe fine particulate matter floating around the depths of a deep brown ale. The beer gives off a cola brown held up to the light, lacing is observable. The beer breaths life into my evening, it's makes me quite anxious for what's to come!

Smell:
The beer is different than your average Belgian. A different recipe or yeast character created a beer with complexity and a truly unique ale for my olfactory interpretation. I get notes of a raisin fruitiness and yeast culture funkiness. I am now wondering what to expect with the taste, but certain of its drinkability.

Taste:
Super rich and earthy with more intense notes of the raisin, tobacco, fig, and keytone. This beer is excellently balanced with a semi-sweet first sip and slightly dry finish. The beer is thick like a loaf of bread, yet light and airy like a slice cut from that loaf. The bread comes out more as you approach the yeast cloudiness lurking below. I appreciate the subtle changes in flavor as you work your way down, it gives the beer a smooth earthiness characteristic.

Mouthfeel:
The beer feels like a typical Belgian ale, it has richness with adequate funk to keep your senses guessing. I am still guessing as to what I feel in the beer's initial fruit presentation, but a semi-dry finish keeps me coming back for more. Well balanced flavors with a lot of intricacies that make it a definite palate pleaser.

Drinkability:
I have not experienced a beer quite like this, it is different than other dubbels I've had yet possesses recurrent similarities that make it unmistakably Belgian. The beer would pair nicely with a variety of foods because it offers complexity yet balance and therefore would not detract heavily. I liked the beer at a slightly cooler temperature (45-50 degrees Fahrenheit recommended), but I wonder how room temperature would have suited.

Bottle into chalice.

Pours a a purplish-brown color, murky, with a thin, fluffy tan head that fades into a thin, creamy cap that lasts the entire beer.

Nose is light dark fruits and brown sugar, with some spicy yeast lending a light, doughy character to the smell. Just a hint of spicy alcohol lends some interesting depth.

Taste is intense - up front, you get a big, yeasty, doughy malt note full of dark fruit and some brown sugar, followed by a sweet, rich lingering dark fruit note that fades into a dry, slightly yeasty finish.

Mouthfeel is crisp, lightly scrubbing, with a fluffy mouthfeel and medium body.

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle