Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,424 | Reviews: 1,160
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Medium to dark brown. Very thick, beige head.

S: Sugar and malt, but nothing too specific.

T: Sweet, malty. Somewhat earthy. Roasted caramel develops as you drink.

M: Foamy and over-carbonated.

D: Not overly heavy. Complex enough to not be boring, but I wasn't as impressed as I've heard.

Maybe I was let down after hearing such great things about this beer. It's a good, solid selection, but I didn't think it was one of the best beers I've had.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2oz. bottle served in my Maudite tulip. 14/07/11 indicated on the back label. Pours a hazy plum with a two-inch, frothy, cream-colored head. Head eventually collapses into a solid quarter in cap with thick swaths of lacing coating the sides of the glass as the brew recedes and with each tilt of the glass. Nose is fairly subdued - malt, spice, a faint suggestion of prunes and some phenols. Taste follows nose, but extremely watered down. There's also a slightly bready quality and some herbal bitterness that lightly lingers between quaffs. I have to say that I was expecting more. Mouthfeel is medium-light, with a fairly assertive carbonation. While I really enjoyed the tripel, I have to say that the dubbel left a lot to be desired. A bit disappointing and not worth the $6.99 pricetag. A fairly lackluster dubbel in my opinion.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The Westmalle Dubbel poured a brown red with a strong huge 3 finger head. The smell was a fruity sour with some brown sugar in the background.

The taste was a smooth malt with a apple bitterness that hit you right away. It was pretty dry with a wet finish on the lips. It was a tad hit hot alcohol wise and it really shouldn't have been with a 7% abv. Overall I thought it was average and maybe this was a poor batch.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured a hazy reddish dark red with a one finger beige cap.

S: Yeast, mild brown sugar and light whiff of dark fruit

T: A little bit of spice, dark fruit, yeast, and and light candy. Not so much flavor on this. Sordove plain.

M: Medium body and mild carbonation. Sweet, dry finish.

O: Good DUbbel but nothing Earthshattering but maybe I am missing something here

3.52/5  rDev -15.6%

The design on the label is simple and straitforward. The Trappist logo featured in the center. I like the raised lettring on the bottle that says "Trappist Bier" around the neck.

poured into a Duvel tulip glass. Nice solid ruddy brown color. Only a little bit of light comes through around the edges. Good tan head about a finger thick. Receded to a light lace. Towards the end the lace is completely gone.

Smell is very strong and tart. Sweet and fruity, but dry. It's like a dark red wine, like a merlot. Taste follows up strongly. Very dry and earthy. It does leave a warm alcohol aftertaste on the tongue. Medium body and carbonation.

This is very good, but I wouldn't want to do more than one at a time. The merlot flavors would make this an excellent beer for dinner.

3.52/5  rDev -15.6%

Very nice looking beer. Nice voluminous head when swirled. Doesn't leave much lacing. Nice bright mahogany color. Definately some big chunks of yeast from a not too careful pour.

Very nice nose. Nice raisin notes. Special B malt? Maybe get some candy sugar in there too. Get some subdued fruitiness. Otherwise very clean. No phenolics or higher alcohols or other spiceyness.

Good clean flavor, nothing special. Get some nice dark candy sugar and caramel malt like flavors. The finish is too clean. I want a Dubbel to linger for a second. My perception of this beer is that its a bit too dry. Actually has a harsh finish. Not very nice about halfway through.

Nice mouthfeel. Very spritzy...little too spritzy for the viscosity of the beer, it could be a bit thicker and sweeter...then the high carbonation would be ideal I think.

Doesn't really have enough to keep me interested and this harshness in the finish is discouraging.

3.51/5  rDev -15.8%

Ok second Belgian of the night
simple yet nice bottle and labelling.
poured into the chalice this is a very attractive beer ,dark ,murky brown with a medium sized off white head..that dissappears fast.

The aroma though , while nice, is rather on the subdued side for what I have been led to expect from Belgian ales. a small spiciness some malt but nothing much to speak of
The taste while marginally better than the aromas is weak..but what there is is a good balance of the spiciness and honeyish malts.
Its ok on the palate.
Its rather drinkable..but that fact in itself tells a tale..i found this nice but dull. Maybe I got a bad bottle..but this was not exciting as i expected..or the price suggested!

3.51/5  rDev -15.8%

330 ml, BB date reads 12. November 2010, into 180 ml Chimay chalice. Up until today I've been waiting to open this one to enjoy the benefits of maturation. Pours effervescent, deep reddish coppery body with good clarity, topped by medium, beige dense head with good retention that gradually sets to a stable cloth. Nice lacing on the walls.
The nose is low maltiness dominated by fruity esters of plum, apple and raisins, light phenolic spiciness and apparent perfumy qualities probably originating from higher alcohols. Occasionally some extra sweetness emerges enhancing the perception of malt. The flavor is surprisingly unsweet, lacking prominent malt perception, estery with fruity tartness of plum, apple and raisins, light bitterness with moderately dry finish and some yeastiness. Light to medium bodied with rather high carbonation. A year of cellaring hasn't taken away much of the tartness (without diminishing the fruitiness) as I hoped for and which was the case with some previously tasted bottles.

In short: a rather dry, tart and estery dubbel with attractive reddish depth.

Update 12-28-2010:
This bottle has been aged a year over the declared best before date (18.December 2009).
A gusher, although once poured exhibits less effervescence than a year younger bottle tasted previous evening. Pour into baby-Chimay chalice (180 ml) gives birth to a deep amber-coppery clear body with some haze, overlain by beige head that completely dissipates in a short time. The aroma is rich and complex yet discrete malty sweetness with faint chocolaty notes, hint of caramel and light toastiness, abundant fruity esters of ripened plum and raisins, port-wine reminiscent qualities, some spicy phenolics and apparent higher alcohol-derived perfuminess. The flavor is complex malty sweetness with light toasty notes, plums & raisins lacking the prominent, almost berry-like tartness of a young Westmalle, light bitterness, some phenolic spiciness and yeasty notes. The malty sensation persists into the semi-dry finish. Nearly medium bodied with rather flat carbonation.
A year past its declared BB date, the Westmalle Dubbel is mainly distinguished from his above reviewed younger brother by more pronounced sweetness enhancing the malt-perception, absence of fruity tartness and poorly sustained head with less carbonated body. The scores for this one are 3, 4.5, 4, 2.5, 4 = 3,75

3.51/5  rDev -15.8%

Appearance: A deep carmelly red/brown with a big-ass foamy, frothy, sticky off-white head. A hurricane of fine carbonation is billowing up from the Duvel "D". Leaves a root beer-esque curtain of foam on the glass wall. That's about as good as it gets in my book.

Smell: OK, after blowing my sinuses out of my head, I now detect a tart, fruity ambrosial stew with the usual clove and pepper yeast.

Taste/Mouthfeel: A bit of a disappointment -- dry and mild. Pleasant enough; it's fruity up front, spicy and bready mid, and finishes peppery in the finish -- with some numbing clove -- but it's not the life-changer I'd hoped for. Mouthfeel is OK, thin and crisp, no more, no less.

Drinkability: It's five times the price of New Belgium's version, which I think blows it away. You tell me.

3.51/5  rDev -15.8%

11.2 oz bottle with a "best by" date of September 29, 2012. This one was allowed to warm a bit before being poured into my Duvel tulip.

Westmalle Dubbel pours a typical dark purple/brown. Ruby red highlights shine through with some exuberance when the beer is held to light. The light tan colored foam maxes out at over four fingers in height, and shows some solid retention. Lacing isn't nearly as widespread as it should be though. The nose doesn't have quite the amount dark fruits than I'd like, and the result is an aroma that's a little too phenol heavy to really appeal to me. The flavor has a similar dark fruit deficiency, but unlike the nose it's at least replaced somewhat by a toffee note. The clove, spicy phenol notes on the back end are intense, and threaten to overwhelm the beer. The mouthfeel at least has the excellence I've come to expect from trappist beers. The body is beguilingly light for a beer with a definite sweetness in its flavor profile. At the same time the carbonation, even at the bottom of the glass, is active enough to give the beer a vibrant energy. Westmalle Dubbel is a solidly brewed beer, I'm just not a huge fan of the fruity ester vs phenols balance in this one.

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from a caged and corked 750 into a chalice.

A-First pour is an extremely attractive cherry cola color with a one finger tan head that settles rapidly into nothingness. Great color, but a rather flat looking beer.

S-Sweet licorice malts, caramel and a hint of sourness and alcohol

T-Unexpectedly sour, slightly fruity with licorice malts. Not nearly as tasty as I had hoped. Things get a little more interesting at the bottom of the bottle as the yeast pours in, but the increasingly noticeable metallic aftertaste is also present.

M-Fairly decent, a little lighter that I thought, and slightly light on the carbonation

D-This is fairly drinkable, but there are many other Belgians and Belgian copies that I would rather drink.

I'll try this again to see if I like it better, obviously many do, but this just didn't do it for me. Not that it was bad, I just expected much more.

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from 750ml bottle into snifter glass. Pours dark brown beer with big and beige head. Aroma is full, plums, raisins, some redcurrants and syrup sweetness; overally aroma is full and fruitfull, pleasant. Almost full-bodied, smooth and nice to drink. Lot of dark fruits also in the flavor, plums and raisins. Flavor is not very sweet, but balanced and quite dry and long aftertaste. Medium bodied and sticky mouthfeel. Decent carbonation throughout. Dry caramel malt finish. Pleasant dubbel.

Reviewed 2/16/2006 (330mL bottle):

Pours a dark brown/black colored body, with a medium sized tan head, that is lasting. Has an aroma of some malts, molasses, perfume, and flowers. A taste of malts, perfume, and alcohol. An aftertaste of perfume & alcohol. Very Belgiany.

3.49/5  rDev -16.3%

I poured the beer into a chalice. A very nice head, color like honey. However, I could only smell cherries. No malt, no hops. The beer had a light body, no caramel, but a nice cherry taste with a little of hop bitterness. The beer went down nice and smooth and I didn't notice the alcohol. While I liked the beer, this wasn't my favorite of the Trappist dubbels. The flavoring that I look for when I drink a dubbel just wasn't there.

3.49/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured from a best before 04/14/11 11.2 oz bottle into a Chimay chalice.
A- Poured dark brown/red color. One previous reviewer mentioned garnet and I guess that is pretty close, all though I felt it was a bit more on the brown side. Two finger brown head that quickly died down. Nice active carbonation around the edge of the glass.

S- Very light. Bread when I opened the bottle. Faint raisin and alcohol.

T- Starts off with a really subdued, almost hidden sweetness followed by mild hops with a bready, faintly citrus aftertaste. I kept getting a sour/vinegar taste and smell which was slightly off-putting, but not enough for me to stop drinking. The bread was the most distinct note out of the range of flavors to me, but I would not say it dominated.

M- Nice medium body with incredibly active small bubbled carbonation. Creamy too, which was nice. Maybe a hint of dryness, but overall I did not notice this in the beer much. The carbonation was what stood out to me most; in a pleasant way.

D- I split the small bottle with someone which left me wanting more of this. I liked it, but I was expecting something a bit more flavorful. Well balanced, though. I dropped the drinkability a bit because of the vinegar taste I detected, but I would probably try it again.

3.48/5  rDev -16.5%

11.2 oz bottle. Pours a murky, non-translucent brown with a massive tan head that is mostly diminishing. Aroma of dark fruit, mostly raisin, some yeast and alcohol. Initial flavor of apple and grape with more dark fruits coming in later. Light body, moderate carbonation, slight alcohol presence, and some lacing. Ok beer, worth a try.

330 ml bottle from the LCBO

Pours deep amber with a somewhat fizzy tan head. Very nice looking but a lck of head retention lost it some points.

Aromas are very typical of the style but smaller and more subtle then some of the better examples. I like the aroma I just wish it was bigger.

The flavour is similar to the aroma. Everything that should be there in a good dubble is but I find this somehow lacking.

The mouthfeel is a little rough and one thing I really like about dubbles is the soft subtle complexity but this one is rough and brash.

This is a nice brew but I think it will do better with some time in the cellar. Ill review in a year.

Best buy 5/18/2012.

11.2oz served into a Chimay chalice.

A - Garnet brown body with a 1.5 inch khaki head that never dies. Good spots of lacing.

S - Cooked plantains, brown sugar, raisin bread, molasses, coconut alcohol.

T - Caramelized brown sugar, plums, has a mushroom earthiness, sugary dates, some spiced bread, alcohol lingers, light strawberry bubblegum flavors, faint coconut on the edges. Brown bread crust comes back around the finish.

M - Moderate carbonation, thin medium bodied.

This is a complex brew that has many layers of flavors but lacks a "good home feel" that I like out of Dubbels. Still very good.

3.47/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Served cool from 330ml bottle into Saison Regal glass.

A) Red-tinged dark brown, opaque, with half-inch fizzy white head that dissipates very quickly.

S) Winey malt, not much else. Maybe I have chilled it too much.

T) Very smooth - light malt flavour, immediately followed by subtle bitterness. Very subtle orange and grapefruit notes. On reflection, the taste is really good right after the swallow, but is quickly overtaken by less pleasant bitter aftertaste. If it could hold on to the initial lighter tastes, this would be a real winner for me.

F) A lot fizzier than it looks. Weight in the mouth reflects the ABV closely.

O) A lot to like in this, but the roasty / bitter aftertaste spoils the intial light spritzy fruit notes for me.

3.47/5  rDev -16.8%

Pours a deep, deep garnet color into a tulip glass, with a huge meringue-like head . Carbonation is obviously high, and head retention is fabulous. Aromas of raisins, cherries, brown sugar and slight alcohol, along with some spicy notes from the yeast - pepper and cinnamon to my nose.

Taste: Spice...and not much else at first. Huge spicy burst up front followed by a sweet caramel-like maltiness. This fades as the hops make their presence known with an herbal bitterness that, in my opinion, clashes a bit with the rest of the beer. Complexity is not as high as I would have expected from a Trappist dubbel, and especially one so highly regarded as Westmalle.

Mouthfeel: lots o' carbonation, as expected...light body and an overall dry mouthfeel. Like a good Belgian abbey beer should be.

Drinkability: The characteristic spiciness of Belgians does not sit well with me for more than two beers, and this one is no exception.

Not a bad beer, certainly a quality Belgian-style abbey ale, but it fails to live up to the Westmalle hype.

3.45/5  rDev -17.3%

Appearance - uncapped, I *just* got this over the glass the moment before its champagne-like action bubbled up and over the lip of the bottle. A clear but dark garnet color at first, it clouds up considerably, chunks up actually, with the bottom pour. The head is three to four fingers, and fades to a thin covering with a dark cinnamon-like corona about a third of the way inside the rim.

Aroma - mild cocoa and grain sniff. Honestly, a rather disappointing nose.

Taste - malt base shows some light chocolate and some underlying alcohol, and not much else. Some minor balancing hops don't quite do the trick. It ends with a cocoa taste, slightly boozy but mellow.

Mouthfeel - a litle weightier than average, medium carbonation.

Drinkability - not the most memorable dubbel but certainly drinkable. I can handle several of these as long as the budget can.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

It starts with a highly carbonated head that settles to a ring of foam fairly quickly. The nose is of dark malts, raisins and sour alcohol notes. Taste-wise there is roasted malts, raisins, nuttiness and plenty of carbonation. The latter of which tingles the tip of the tongue and amplifies the dryness of this drink. Mouth-feel is an odd combination of creaminess and wateriness at different stages.

Westmalle's dubbel goes down fast though for a such a strong beer. And in it's native glass, finishing a few in a sitting is not out of the question.

3.45/5  rDev -17.3%

Pours dark reddish brown, slightly translucent, strong carbonation, medium head, little or no lacing.

Smells musty, with a little cherry, a little cough syrup hint.

Taste is sweet and sour, more of the cherry, maybe a tannic bitterness rather than a hoppy bitterness.

Feels nice, although carbonation is a bit much.

I could drink a couple pints of this in a night if I was determined, but I'd prefer not to.

3.45/5  rDev -17.3%

A = Poured dark brownish red. Finger and a half of head, minimal lacing.

S = Has a simple pleasant sweet/malty aroma. Not very complex.

T = Carbonation hits quick. Not much complexity of flavors fill in behind the initial carbonation shock. The word that comes to mind is "empty". Some hints of malt and maybe a grape-like fruity taste with some bitterness fill in toward the end.

M = A little heavy on the carbonation, but overall not a bad mouthfeel. Finished pretty dry.

D = Pretty drinkable. Alcohol is nowhere to be found.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

750mL bottle, bottled on April 12th, 2011

A: a highly hazed opaque brown. head starts billowing and promising. light brown highlights the white head. retentions is good as is the lacing.

S: a little hot. fruity. dark fruits. plums and figs. malty and chewy. a little bit muted.

T: grainy. wheat and pretty chewy. there is a significant amount of gas in this thing. almost can taste the CO2. finish is fruity. jam. grape jelly in particular.

M: like i said above, big time fizz. the carbonation is a little distracting. medium body in my opinion.

D: overall, im not really in love with this. a bit weak as far as dubbel's go. i would look elsewhere for solid examples. not bad by any means, just not great.

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle