Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros

3.03/5  rDev -27.3%

Holy moly, has this been in a hot warehouse too long? A big ol’ disappointment – the best part was the pour (frothy chestnut brown with a lacey ivory ring).

I had to sniff like a dog to get some weak malty Belgium candy cane. Taste was almost dead, dry and harsh. A small malt kick in the finish salvaged the brew from falling below average. Fuzzy and thin, I can’t believe this is the <standard> Westmalle.

I must travel to Belgium for a fresh sample.

3.05/5  rDev -26.9%

Pours a murky brown with some orange highlights. 1 finger cream colored head.

I immediatly smell clove, nutmeg, banana. There are also some dark fruits and some raisins.

The taste seems pretty spicy. I am getting mostly bready and caramelly malts along with a lot of clove, nutmeg, banana, gingerbread. Seems to have a dry finish with a lot of clove.

Mouthfeel is thin with some medium to high carbonation

The alcohol is nicely hidden but, the spiciness and the breadiness make me not want to drink more than a few ounces. I can think of a few dubbels I would rather drink instead.

3.05/5  rDev -26.9%

The packaging may have set me up to expect too much. Raised embossed bottle, with paper label overlay probably to meet export label standards - the hallmarks of a quality imported Belgian ale. I suppose I've come to expect all Belgian Trappists to be really good beers, so this was a letdown when it came in at a bit above average. The flavor was rather blunt and simple - not much in the way of spicyness or depth of the malt and yeast interplay. Some rough, dark orchard fruit and a bit of caramel to the malt. Sharply fizzy, with good head retention.

3.05/5  rDev -26.9%

Looks like I get to be a party pooper on this one, but not everything brewed by trappist monks in Belgium is worthy of high praise. The Dubbel starts out teaming with a volatile effervescence. A tall tan head on a ruddy brown body yields a delicate aroma of lager-like malts and garden herbs. Of course, this brew is otherwise not remotely lager-like.

The taste is frail and simplistic, not the complex tapestry of exotica I frequently anticipate from the monks. The flavor never reaches any dominant culminations of the customary brewing dimensions. There are no great overtures to sweetness, bitterness, citrus, or spice. The finish is actually somewhat drab.

I drank this beer within the posted freshness date and noted no telltale signs of spoilage. I can only conclude that on the whole this is a rather ho-hum brew from the good brothers at Westmalle whose reputation for excellence is not upheld by this rather uninspired twice-fermented ale.

3.05/5  rDev -26.9%

I drank from a bottle into a chalice in Brussels at Delirium Cafe.

It pours brown with a decent white head and above average lacing.

It smells like malt and coffee with a hint of spice.

It tastes ok, but I like this one less than the Dubblel but better than the quad. Which is very strange because this is the opposite of the way I like the other Trappistes. Overall a very so-so beer.

3.08/5  rDev -26.1%

Reviewed from notes. Consumed 2/10/09. Best by 3/10

Poured from a corked and caged 750ml bottle into an oversized wine goblet. Firm pour evokes a 1/4 inch of white head, fair amount of lace. Color is a nice semi-opaque woody brown.

Nose- a slight sourness with some substantial caramel notes. Wet rotting wood.

Palate- Sour woodiness. Plenty of moderately sweet caramel notes. Coco. More sour woodiness in the finish. Finishes moderately dry.

Mouth- Dry and slightly tart.

Drinkability- Decent, but not the best dubble I've had.

3.1/5  rDev -25.7%

Gotta say I'm disappointed here.
Pours an attactive reddish-amber. Large, puffy tan head that settled slowly. Pebble-like sediment into the glass. Gravel black floaters.
Fruity aroma of apples, figs, and prunes. Carmel sweetness also . Alcohol is noted.(strange, as it doesn't show up in the taste).
Taste seem muted, and uninspired. Fruitiness is here, with apple, tart grape and ever-so-slight banana. Carmel is present, but the malt body is somewhat thin. I keep getting strange impressions of a vienna lager....and not a particularly good one. Very faint chocolate hues.
Thin, boring body. Lacking of any heft, or any spirtz. Dull, blunt, lifeless. Thickens as it sits, but never attains anything noteworthy.
Maybe this is too young (bb: 13/05/04). Nevertheless, I just don't see the flavors here to hold out much prospect.

3.1/5  rDev -25.7%

[Best served in a Trappist glass]

Poured a dark murky brown with a tan fizzy head that was fully diminishing and had poor lacing. The aroma was heavy of roasted malts and molasses, light resin hops and a moderate scent of a horse blanket yeast. It tasted slightly malty and extremely bitter at first and ended with a bitter acidic flavor that layed in the back of your throat. Mouthfeel was light in body and watery in texture with a fizzy carbonation. Overall an OK brew, but nothing special.

3.13/5  rDev -24.9%

Very dark colour, with minimal bubbles surfacing. Medium head, brownish coloured, stays for a reasonable amount of time.
Aroma is of fruits and chocolate.
Bitter taste, medium thick body. Bitterness stays in your mouth. Quite carbonated. Overall not bad, quite average.

3.13/5  rDev -24.9%

I had lofty expectations of this brew and I have to say I am unimpressed.

A-Dark brown, small tan head.

S-Light aroma of figs and fruit (apples, plums and pears)....not great but not bad on the nose.

T-Apples and pears, figs, raisins and a little alcohol spiciness...not a malty as expected.

M-Feels thin and watery....light side of medium bodied...low carbonation.

D-I wouldn't complain if someone bought me one of these but I much prefer the Westmalle Trippel

3.15/5  rDev -24.5%

I poured this expensive beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. I thought I was going to like this because I have heard so may great things about it. It had a fine bubbly head ans was a rich mohoganny color but was cloudy. The beer semmed to be very very carbonated. The beer had a nice creamy head and bad ass lacing but was very strong in the alcohol taste. I will not buy again but thats just my opinion.

3.15/5  rDev -24.5%

Bottle. Pours a cloudy brown with a thick light tan head. Aroma of sweet malt, sweet fruits (applesauce and fig), some cola-like notes. Flavor of bitter hops initially with lots of malt and sweet fruits, even some soda-like notes. Hmm, not what I expected from the #2 dubbel in the world. The flavor is bland and the palate a touch heavy. I would have liked more fruity notes or spices....oh well.

3.18/5  rDev -23.7%

Pours a ruby tinged black with an ample, tan pillow of a head.

Smella a bit of chocolate, and there's a hint of pitted fruit, and some alcohol. Decent, but not as nuanced as I'd like...

The taste is respectfully fruity - along the lines of plum, perhaps - and perhaps ever so slightly charred. There are some phenols in the back, and very noticable alcohol. Ultimately, it tastes too dry for my liking - these flavors would be greatly improved with some more malt to back them...

The body is a bit thin, and the apparent alcohol negatively affects the mouthfeel & drinkability. Overall, a decent but underwhelming brew.

3.2/5  rDev -23.3%

11.2 oz brown bottle. 'Westmalle' engraved around the neck. Pretty badass looking. Poured into a Unibroue tulip.

It should be noted that this one foamed up when I opened it, leading me to believe it became contaminated before bottling. I hope for the best.

It pours a deep mahogany with ruby hues around the edges. Nearly black in the center, when held up to the light it reveals decent clarity with moderate haze from a sturdy pour. A one finger head quickly disipates into a small cap with a few scattered bits of lace. The smell is lacking. Very faint grain, with a hint of sweetness. Apples, maybe? The taste leaves a lot to be desired. It barely fills my mouth. Very dry with a sweet/tartness on the back of the tongue. I have to smack my lips after each sip, because it almost completely dries my mouth out.

I will definitely give this one another chance, but as for my first look I was anything but impressed. Hopefully round two brings me a bottle with no added contaminants.

3.23/5  rDev -22.5%

poured nicely with an even tan head. color is black with a tinge of ruby red at the edges of the glass.s

smells of raison, ripe fruit and cinamon seem to dominate.

taste is a interesting mix of flavors. it started off with a raison, dark beglium candi sugar that settled into almost a metalic tangy undertone. at mid glass that undertone faded to a light hop tart that seemed to quickly fade and the final sips at almost full room temp had a light malt presence.

drinkability aside from the tangy metallic taste was good. this is a light bodied easy to drink beer. As far as dubbels go, I am glad to have tried this, but it doesn't move into the ranks of my favorite dubbels.

3.23/5  rDev -22.5%

Poured from bottle into goblet style glass.

APP- A dark caramel color, poured with a healthy head, dissipated fairly quickly. Very little lacing.

Aroma - Hits strong with deep fruity aroma, leaving way for a chocolaty, sweet smell shortly after.

Taste - Very similar to aroma, big dark fruits leading off, then a thick sweet caramel - malty taste, which coats the mouth. Hints of acidity, but very little in the taste of alcohol.

MF - Light carbonation, medium bodied, but as mentioned coats the palate with an aftertaste of deep roasted caramel malts.

OVR - A very drinkable beer, quite complex, and the alcohol is very well masked. I find the balance between the sweetness of the roasted malts, and the acidity / sour of the fruitiness just a little off. The only reason it scored lower in certain areas.

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle