Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,150 | Hads: 2,442
3.83/5  rDev -7.5%

750 ml bottle. Plastic cork (technology and environment for the win!). That's already a plus.

This beer is very dark, with brownish earthy accents. It has uUnstoppable lacing and never ending head (small bubbles). Very pretty.

Smells like a typical double. Caramels and ripe dark fruits, with a hint of gingerbread.

The beer itself is actually a LOT less sweet than I expected it to be. It remains quite interesting, because that lack of sweetness let other usually hidden aromas developp. The beer is very grassy, earthy and dry. Hops are also quite present. Even if interesting, this is not my type of double. Still, very good brew. (637 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours light brown with amber hints.

Aroma of candi sugar and light alcohol. Mild hay and orangey citus notes.

Flavor is full of rich earthy hay malt. Tons of candi sugar flavor and nice fruit as well. Lingering bitterness and alcohol light burn, spice and herbs.

Well rounded, complex, really beautiful. (311 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12.3%

poured into a pint glass. appears an opaque molasses brown, with tan head and better retention than expected. smells of clove, chocolate, dark sweet fruits and roasted malts. taste is great. not too heavy on the yeast bitterness, not too much carbonation, has chocolatey and banana flavors going on. alcohol barely noticeable. finishes sweet and medicinal, with a tingling clove taste at the end. very creamy for a dubbel, feels very full in the mouth, and again carbonation levels spot on. the drinkability on this one is through the roof. very smooth. the flavors combine extremely well and it goes down like a knife through butter. excellent trappist dubbel. (661 characters)

Served from bottle to a Westmalle chalice.

Appearance: brown cola color, cream head that stays for awhile, visible carbonation, leaving liquidy spiderweb lace.

Aroma: raisins, licorice, brown sugar, little alcohol, cola, malts.

Taste: Alcohol, malts, brown sugar, raisins.

Palate: feels little watery, not much of a lingering flavor.

As personal preference, from trappist beers I like better Chimay for its spiciness.

But then again it's a good beer, for me in this kind it's not the best and I'm in the hunt for the Westvleteren so it might go down another notch in the trappist war if there's any. (605 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a Russian River Tulip. Paid $5.69 in San Diego for 11.2 ounces.

Pours a deep, rusty brown with a large, creamy head about two fingers in height. Some floaties are visible through the haze.

Smell: I'm getting leather, some sweetness, perhaps a mix of caramel and banana; maybe a touch of mango. Also hints of wet sand at a beach; perhaps wet concrete. Alcohol is trying hard to escape the grasp of the mahogany beverage but without much success.

The taste is smooth and full. More of the smell but now with toasted grains and some very slight hops. Splashes of plum, date and fig. Between drinks I have a slightly bitter taste in the corners of my mouth which slowly vanishes.

The dubbel is very drinkable but the mouth-feel is a bit too light for me. Still, an outstanding product from Westmalle. I would drink this again. (852 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

A dark brown hazy liquid with a massive head wich slowly fades to leave some very nice lacing. This beer looks mysteriously inviting to me...

The first thing that hits my nose is a crispy tone of wet grass, then citrus and yeast. Hay, and caramel malts comes to my mind as well.

The taste is even more crispy that the smell suggested. The citrus and grass comes first, along with some apples and bitterness of lemon peel. Then comes the heavier tastes; roasted malts, yeast, figs.

A very well balanced beer. Big bubbles as one would expect, very smooth and warm feeling. Calmness...

After drinking almost nothing but american IPAs for the last year this was the perfect reminder why belgians were the ones who got me into craft beer. (739 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +16.4%

This is a remarkable beer, darker than I would normally expect a Dubbel to be, but with a lot to show for it. I guess let me talk about where I took off points, The appearance was a bit too cloudy for what I've come to expect. While the smell was good but slightly muted.

But the taste is wonderful with cocao and coffee notes, but not nearly as over bearing as Stouts and Porters usually are with those flavors. With an amazingly creamy mouth feel, and no off notes anywhere in my experience with the beer. Absolutely wonderful. (530 characters)

Poured from bottle. First impression of aroma is green apple with hints of vanilla and banana. Pours a dark brown with tan head. Medium bitter taste. Medium body, creamy texture, average carbonation, with a bitter finish. Very nice Dubbel. (241 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

this is like the quintessential beer of this style in my opinion

The Westmalle Dubbel pours with with a dark red burgundy color with a nice off white head. the nose opens up with your typical Belgian aroma dark fruits like dried plums and figs with the typical Belgian yeast. The taste is a bit more subtle the fruits are a bit on the wayside and the yeast is a bit more prominent. This is a very tasty beer the mouth feel and carb is right on i could probably put down a few of these (486 characters)

Poured a turbid reddish/brown color with a huge tan/brown head. Aroma was full of sweet malt, something like sugarcane, with yeast and cherry present as well. Taste is a bready malt, sweetened with flavors of cherry and raspberry. Alcohol is slightly noticeable on the finish with little to no aftertaste. Carbonation is high, tickling the tongue, with a full-medium body. I would like to have another, and could handle it at 7% ABV, but can't afford it at $6-7/bottle. (469 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -1%

A - Pours a dark amber body with reddish hues. Slightly off-white head with medium retention. Lacing is present but minimal.

S - Deep, toasty aroma of malts. Complex undertones of chocolate and caramel. Fruity esters are mild, with hints of cherry and raisins. Alcohol presence is faint, but noticable.

T - Complex malts greet the palate but finish is surprisingly dry with minimal bitterness; balance surprisingly not completely skewed towards malt. Dried fruitiness and phenols complimentary to one another, with raisiny character being most predominant. Noble hop flavor is subdued.

M - Medium-full body with lots of carbonation. Slight warming of alcohol present.

O - A great example of a matly, complex, strong Belgian dubbel. (736 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -0.5%

Aah ! Trappist beers... the secrets and the cult behind every bottle...I heard Monks are the ones making the beer for their own consumption and for the community...Come on, really ? There's just no way Cistercian Monks are responsable for the massive production of Westmalle beers. The word on the street is that laities (professional Brewers) are the ones making the beer under monks supervision so they can reach production needs. I mean Westmalle is so big in Belgium, you can find it easier than Leffe ! Still is a good beer though.

So here I am again back from work and drinking beer and tonight I chose Westmalle. Poured in a trappist chalice glasse with a good healthy looking 1 centimeter head, this is a dark brown beer. A few bubbles rushing to the head and alot of sendiments du to the bottle fermentation.
This beer smells delicious. I get dried prunes and figs, notes of caramel and cardamom.

Before having a sip I think you should let it rest in the glasse for a few minutes and let some of the carbonation disband, this will help you appreciate the taste rather then having it hidden by to much carbonation.
This Westmalle dubbel is quite sweet at first but then you get the roasted grain bitterness that kicks in just right, my bottle has a good year of aging so I get a sort of rusty metalic taste on the tip of the tongue.
This is a good beer but not my favorite Trappistenbier.

Cheers lads

WS (1,415 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

11.2 oz bottle dated 4/11/15, poured in a chalice. Pours a dark brown in color. Head didn't retain for very long. Carbonation is on the above average side. The smell first struck me as cinnamon, perhaps raisins as well. Taste reminds me of a Cherry Coke with a very full body, creamy and malty. Very interesting taste for a beer. The sweetness really lingers in the aftertaste, and it is very pleasant. I really enjoyed this beer. (439 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from bottle. A gnarly head developed that took a while to settle into a still large head that was fluffy. A lot of aroma from this beer. Mostly a sweet smell. Some fruits and bready scents.

Taste was spicy with a hint of fruits like raspberries. Caramel sweetness on the end. There were different flavors developing constantly and it combined with great a mouthfeel. Highly drinkable. Very impressed. (409 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my third time drinking Westmalle Trappist Dubbel.

A - This murky reddish-brown Trappist Dubbel pours with a huge, meringue-like head that leaves lots of scattered, tan lacing and collapses very slowly. Very appealing. There's some serious yeast sediment present in the second pour and I'm OK with that.

S - Dessert in a bottle. Very sweet smelling.

T - You may not like your first sip. Or your second. I can't explain it, but my taste buds had to adjust to this. The taste is not as sweet as the smell. The taste improves tremendously as I work my way through the second pour.

M - A bit astringent, which seems to accentuate the hops. It's just subtle enough that it is soon overcome by the excellent overall flavor of this Belgian ale.

D - I just finished my first and I want another, if that tells you anything. But at $7 a bottle, I only bought one. :-( (869 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

Probably the best dubbel I ever had, courtesy Bar Jan Breydel in the NH Brugge Hotel. (Decent enough bar with a typical selection, great munchies, and a really excellent hotel, FYI.)

Poured into the appropriate goblet, appears nice and brown, head that settles down fairly quickly. The head eventually goes away, but I didn't really miss it.

Smell was lovely, hints of dark fruits, licorice, a bit of bread.

Taste had all of those hints in a nice warm package, plus others that seem to play around as the beer warms up. Very complex, but not disconcerting at all. Quite the contrary...it's like you find some new things to taste as you go. No overpowering alcohol, but it's in the mix as you go.

Mouthfeel was also very nice, very velvety and easy to drink. Overall, I could drink this all night, but at 7% ABV, that's probably not smart. Goes well with simple fare -- had mine with mild cheese and a spicy mustard, which was perfect. Great after dinner too, I'd bet. (972 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +7.5%

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with orange-red hue when held to light; rocky and dense, thick head with plenty of lace around the glass. Head is a light shade of maple cream color.

Smell: A bit spicy -- some clove fragrance, toffee, with rummy notes. A faint yeasty aroma, almost like fresh dark bread. The scent is far more intense as the ale warms to drinking temperature and thoroughly pleasant.

Taste: Very malty, subtly warming; a touch more bitterness than I was expecting, but this produces a very nice crisp finish. Flavors of brown sugar, toffee, slight suggestion of caramelized fruits. The malt character is intriguing. I have heard malt bills for Belgian dubbels are not often as complicated as it would seem, but the grainy taste is complex enough that it's hard to believe there are only two or three malts in this brew. I cannot taste the alcohol at all, short of the aforementioned slight warming sensation, in spite of the 7% ABV. Wonderfully balanced overall.

Mouthfeel: Very, very smooth. Almost creamy. Carbonation is very fine, and not at all intense. Medium body. Not heavy at all.

Drinkability: This is really, really drinkable. The first time I enjoyed this beer, I thought it was an awesome choice for a winter night by the fire. Now it's July, and the beer is just as delicious. Very smooth, and keeps the palate guessing until the last drop.

Overall, this is one of the most balanced, tasty beers I've had the pleasure to enjoy. It's definitely one of my favorite dubbels, and one I'd recommend to anyone looking for a nice beer to sip slowly on a quiet evening. (1,595 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is an expensive pour, but it's beer done right. Westmalle comes through with an extremely complex Dubbel. It's what I've come to expect from the Belgian Trappists. In this tasty tug-of-war, one subtle flavor will be the victor of a sip, another flavor will capture the next, and so on. Those monks sure know their craft. Two of these make me want to jump on a plane and spend next month's rent on a Belgian beer tour - anyone care to join me?

Spent the rent
On a Dubbel.
Wife calls Antwerp
I'm in trouble. (511 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +14%

Was very happy to have the opportunity to try this dubbel. Had read much about it and jumped at the opportunity.

Poured into a chalice. Was that chocolate or malt teasing my nose? Perhaps a combination of both. Beautiful color, rich red, very little head.

But it was the drinkable statue of this beer that put the smile on my face. Starts with a whiff of malt on the tongue, which quickly teases with alcohol then finishes with a touch of bitterness. Heavenly.

If I have any caution with this beer, it is to be concerned with what food you pair it with. It can be overwhelmed by strong, spicy food to the point where you might miss the complexities of this beer. Take my advice and order simply. Or better yet, enjoy this beer with an open chalice, allowing the aroma to breathe. Take it slow and enjoy it on its own. You'll be glad you did. (846 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +1%

Appearance - A brownish orange color, the beer is caped by a voluptuous head that is supported by moderately heavy carbonation. The head is a sandy tan color and leaves tracings down the walls of the glass.

Aroma - A general maltiness with slight overtones of fruit and slight undertones of spice.

Flavor - This dubbel has more clove character than the other examples of the style I've tried. It begins with a malty but not sweet toasty flavor. It's not chocolate by any means but is darker than the usual munich or 2 row maltiness. On top of that is ripened fruit dominated by raisin and figs and dates. The spices are cloves and a peppery flavor. The yeast tastes slightly earthy.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is really light for the style I think. It is dry and light, and the high carbonation is of a slightly spritzy type. These characteristics don't detract from the beer, merely defining it as different from its other dubbel siblings.

Drinkability - Obviously not super high from the alcohol, the drinkability is aided by the dry, light nature of the mouthfeel. The dryness leads you to drink more and in larger quantities at any one time.

Definitely a worthy trappist dubbel for sure. (1,197 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a deep, thick amber with a thick beige head. The head dissipated quickly, but I'll blame that on the fact that I poured it into a snifter and not a goblet. Nice threads of lacing stick to the glass.

The nose is of rich chocolate and nuts with an overtone of sweet alcohol.

Wow! There is a lot going on in this. Sweet malts and phenols accompanied by apricots, bananas, and a hint of hoppiness. Some spiciness can also be noted. Then Bang! A bold aftertaste of malts, chocolate, and nuts.

It drinks with a nice velvety smooth texture. Very drinkable in the beginning but gets pretty heavy on the stomach towards the end. A really good dubbel. God bless the monks at Westmalle Abby! (689 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 11.2 oz brown, dated 14/07/07 into a goblet. Thick, creamy head forms. The bubbles keep rising adding to it. The color is a wonderful amber brown.

It smells wonderful: with rich malt, hint of alcohol, and a touch of fruit. The taste backs this up. Rich, full. Lightly toasted bread. Hint of hops staying in there to match with the malt.

It's a joy to drink and feel. Very yummy. (398 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -1%

Served from bottle in chalice.
Appearance: Quite a dark beer. Somewhat rocky head that dissipated a little faster than I expected. Too dark to accurately check clarity, but it does seem a little opaque. Some lacing on glass.
Smell: Scent of sour apples, and some alcohol. No hops noticable to my American-micro spoiled nose.
Taste: Not nearly as much sour apple as I expected from the smell, but it is still there as a baseline, accompanied by a hint of pineapple. Smooth sweet malt balances this flavor out almost as an afterthought. Quite full in flavor, with a slightly woody undertone. Alcohol is there, but more as a bite than a flavor. It is really growing on me as it warms and more flavors become apparent. I keep wanting to say I detect vanilla flavors, but if so, they are rather subtle. There is definitely a lot there that I can't put my finger on.
Mouthfeel: Sharp and biting at first sip, with rather high carbonation. Body is rather full, and finishes smooth despite astringent alcohol on the tongue.
Drinkability: Pretty good, but despite its relatively low alcohol content, I want to drink this slowly. I don't think I would want more than one of these in a sitting. Just too strong in flavor for that, but I will definitely try this again. (1,263 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -4.6%

750 mL bottle. Dark brown-maroon color with a nice frothy off-white head that stays throughout the life of the pour. Great lacing. Aroma of raisins, plum and malt. Mouthfeel is slightly thin and watered down. Taste of malt, caramel, yeast and plum with a great velvety finish. (276 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -18.8%

Had this one fresh on-tap, wasn't that impressed. Maybe a bit too soft for me, or too fresh, no pronounced flavors or aromas to me, not remarkable. Will pass final judgement when I get one from a bottle. I've noticed I like bottles more than tap at the moment... (262 characters)

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle