Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,149 | Hads: 2,437
4.47/5  rDev +8%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Light carmel colored head with medium retention. Mahogany body that is completely opaque.

S - Sweet, intense dark fruits, cherries and ripe banana. Smells amazing.

T - Not nearly as intense in both taste and alcohol as the Tripel, but still really complex and enjoyable.

M - Perfect balance. Nothing is overpowering or underwhelming. Lots of carbonation, alcohol and flavor. Very satisfying.

O - I will seek this beer out again in the future. Wont find it in my neck of the woods, unfortunately. (531 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Dark red/amber with a white head.
S: Belgian
T: One of the best examples of the style. Dried fruit, sweet, belgian esters. A perfect blend into one clean smooth beer.
M: High carbonation but easy to drink.
O: I can't believe I put off trying this beer for years based on a previous disappointment by the same dubbel style. A new 'go-to' for me when I'm craving a belgian. Dark sweet and full of esters and dried fruit. Will buy this one again and again. (486 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -1.7%

A - Dark back color with a white head. Lacing is strong.

S - Sweet and hoppy. What could be better?

T - not too much flavor here, just light booze. What is there is good, there just isn't too much flavor.

M - Exactly what you would expect when you start to dink this beer. Rich feel, smooth and stays with you for a while.

D - I could drink this all night long. Very good beer here. (386 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -13.8%

Purchased a bottle for roughly 2€.

Nice murky brown colour (a bit too murky in my opinion) topped with a beautiful tan head that stays around for awhile.

A quite nice smell and somehow complex getting some of the yeast and a bit fruit.
The taste is, together with the drinkability, what makes this beer a difficult one to make one's tatse buds to it. Way too carbonated even for a Belgian brew, I shall give it a try leaving it at least a couple of months in the cellar; that's why it is that high my overall grade. (520 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Mahogany. Decent lace and leaves nice foam head.

Smell: Caramel and plum/raisin. Hints of spice

Taste: Very nice profile. Typical for Trappist style dubbel.

Mouthfeel: Good overall balance.

Overall: Very nice Friday night dinner beer. Very good rating. (261 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours dark amber/orange. Nice 3 finger off-white head. Aroma is grapey and alcohol, without much detectable malt or hop character. This one is very highly carbonated - went crazy in my mouth - very light and fizzy on the tongue. Tasted fruity and sugary, with an alcohol tinge. Finished smooth and easy - took me more than a few minutes to drink this to try and unravel the flavors.

*this is one of my first belgian brews - excuse my lack of experience in this area. (469 characters)

Poured from a 11.2 oz bottle into a tulip. Two finger, off white head with excellent retention. A dark, hazy mahogany. Beautiful.

Smell. Dark fruits, raisins, apricots, molasses and yeast. A lovely bouquet for sure.

Taste. Hearty flavor. Raisin bread, malty molasses with a light, refreshing finish of fruity apricots and yeast. A kiss of booze warms up the whole flavor and ties it all together nicely.

This is truly a rich brew. Medium-bodied with some nice, not overbearing carbonation along with the bready flavor gives it a hearty feel.

Drinkable. One that I could easily session during a cold winter night like tonight. Warming, hearty, tasty. A winner. (663 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -0.5%

A- Very dark in color, amber with hues of maroon. Pours with a luscious strong head. Bubbles continue to elevate while you drink.

S- Average in smell, a lot less of the fruits and sugars yu get from other Belgium beers.

T- Outstanding. Nice bitter bite up front and very malty. YEast less defined than other Belgiums but that leaves way for the dark fruit and malt to seep in. Very enjoyable.

M- Dry but sticks around for a moment.

D- Very much so. Sadly I only had one bottle or I would have had a second right behind it.

All in all, very well crafted dubbel, and one of my favorites in the style. Looking forward to my next one. (636 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +9.4%

P: 33cL brown bottle "TRAPPISTENBIER" stamped around the neck.

A: Pours a dark brown with a thick and creamy tan-colored head. Visible bits of black yeast when held up to light.

S: Peppery, slight caramel notes.

T: Chocolate, malty, and fruity. A dry, alcoholic bit after the first impression, but nonetheless, a great experience for the tongue. Warming.

M: Coarse, almost gritty from the yeast. Medium carbonation and relatively thick body.

D: 100% drinkable, and for me, that's an interesting concept for a Belgian Ale. If these didn't cost so much here in FL, I'd consider buying this every week. (604 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%

Wow...my new favorite dubbel

appearance:nice dark color not too much brussels lace..and It did seem to improve with warming in the glass....losing some of the carbonation

smell:lots of dark stone fruit smells and not allot of estery smells

taste:wow great dark malt flavors with notes of cherry? and other dark stone fruits

mouthfeel...a bit too much carbonation at first then it mellowed and got silky as hell

drinkablity:I could drink this all day (454 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -8.7%

I have really wanted to try a trappist ale for a long time. I really have not tasted many, or maybe any belgians. I hope this is nice place to start.

Popped the top and a quick temp reading shows 49 degrees. Pour into a chalice reveals a dark, dark brew. Hold it up to the light and it is dark, murky brown. Very creamy, robust head that has the tiniest of bubbles. Looks good.

Smell is of spritzy fruit. Almost pungent aroma. Weak Banana bread. Slight alcohol. I think slight cherry?

Taste reveals something very foreign. So this is Belgian ale? Not too bad but very very different. Malt, oak, bitter fruits. Something very earthy about it. Unleavened, or maybe even stale bread. Slight bitterness on the back side. The first drink is very different from the next several. Makes my tongue slightly numb. I can certainly taste yeast. I said I have had very few Belgians but this shares a quality with the ones I have had. I think it is the yeast. Interesting.

I like this stuff and from what I have read it is a good example of the style. I would certainly drink another. (1,079 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +6.3%

The Pour: Pours a deep brown with a red huewith a full tan head.

The Smell: Fruity and alcohol was my first indication, followed by nutts and rasins

The Taste: the the wonderful aromas came through in the taste. and they hide the alcohol well.

The Mouthfeel: A well body beer

I could drink a few of these maybe not in one setting thou. (348 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +15%

This is the first trappist beer I've tried. Had it today.

Poured out dark, with an unusual brown head. I could see the yeast swimming around at the bottom of my glass as I chose not to filter it.

The smell was the only thing less than magnificant. It didn't really have much of a smell. But the faint smell was fruity and very appealing.

It tasted like fruit and maybe some chocolate thrown in the mix. Nothing low quality about this one.

The mouthfeel wasn't too watery, wasn't too heavy. It was just perfect.

This is definately a premium beer for the connoisseur, appropriate to be enjoyed with a gourmet meal or on a special occasion. (653 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +4.3%

A great Dubbel with the classic aroma of caramel, malts and beautiful yeast overtones. Classic Belgian pour and color. Taste lingers a bit but leaves you wanting more. Hard to find a better value in a Dubbel A real winner which is readily available in our area. Life is good. (275 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +3.1%

appearance: dark ruby color but no opacity. huge, brown head with extensive lacing

aroma: citrus, fruit, bready and a hint of yeast

mouthfeel: slightly sour, a little bitter, easy to drink. again with a little citrus but as opposed to the aroma, this is definitely stronger on the yeast end (292 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +13%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Esta é uma das grandes representantes do estilo dubbel, e mais um respeitado rótulo trapista. Eu só conheci dois rótulo Westmalle, mas os dois mostraram representar cervejas de qualidade suprema, que com que certeza posicionam a cervejaria como um dos grandes nomes do mundo. (279 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle into a pint glass. The beer poured a nice opaque amber color with a beautiful, creamy head that kept its lacing. I must have poured this a lot better than some of my fellow reviewers, because I didn't have the full head that everyone is talking about, but rather an absolutely perfect quarter inch head or so.

The smell is rather difficult to describe, but it is nonetheless pleasant. I'm not a wine expert, but it literally smelled like generic wine. I could discern some fig, wild berries, toffee, malt, chocolate, and of course, alcohol and I'm sure there is plenty of other fruit in it. The smell is tremendous and is only a sign of more good things to come.

The initial taste wasn't nearly as good as it was once it warmed. I've noted before that my refrigerator is quite cold (due to my roommates), but the flavors became quite vibrant and stately once the brew reached closer to room temperature. Absolutely delicious. The blend of fruit, spices, alcohol, and tannin made it almost taste like it smelled - like wine(!)

Mouthfeel was perhaps the weakest (if there is a weakest) part of this brew. I felt as though there was a bit too much carbonation that kept the beer from reaching its true potential until it warmed up. Once warm, however, the brew went down entirely too smooth for a beer with 7% abv.

And that leads to drinkability. Again, for a 7% abv beer, this is almost entirely too drinkable. I'm a bit upset I only bought the single because I can't wait to have another one and to let my friends try this as well. The monks are certainly doing something right, one of the better beers I've had in a long time. (1,661 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

Bottle from Belgianbeershop.com. Head: beige, thick, stable, nice lacing. Color: dark red brown, very beautiful. Aroma: filled with roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, caramel. The taste is very well balanced with a fantastic full mouthfeel. Notes of caramel and banana. Very long finish. This is one of the best trappist ales, almost as good as the Westmalle tripel. (365 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours an orangish brown. The head drops to just cover the beer but is ever present the entire experience. Lacing is moderate throughout. The nose is typical of banana and cloves. But also peppery funk and sweetness. The taste continues the bananas and cloves but also lends to some Tabasco and tea. The dryness also shows itself in the finish. Very drinkable and wonderful. (374 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Rich brown to burnt orange, especially when held to the light. 2 inches of fluffy, tab foam, which lingers, eventually settling, yet never disappearing. Looks great in the chalice.
Smell: Sweet! Like effervescent brown sugar and plums. Absolutely fantastic!
Taste: Starts quite similar to the smell, then yields to a more complex malty flavor, which ends with a slight hoppy, yet delicious bitterness. This blew me away.
Mouth-Feel: Thick, almost syrupy. This lingers on the tongue for quite some time. It feels heavy.
Overall: This is in my top 10. This is the third time I've had this and it has been incredible each time. Obviously it is pricy, but then again it is not something I'd drink just any day. (719 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The prune juice brown color with fine belgian lace surrounding a tall glass. Nose is slightly malty with hints of fruits and dark sugar. A range of malt flavor from sweet to slightly sour that gives way to a balanced a spicy hop finish. Truly well crafted. Great for those mild fall days. (288 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +2.2%

This beer poored with a good frothy headand had some nice sweet aromas. Flavors of banana and sweet malt were good and made this beer enjoyable. Had some yeast hints on the body of this beer which was nice and rich. This beer overall was a good dubbel and would drink it again.

Serving type: bottle (299 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +2.9%

A - dark mahogany brown with about an inch of foamy head which quickly went away

S - sweet, chocolatey, caramel, nougat, butterscotch, toffee

T - Chocolate very rich and malty. Fruity aftertaste and I can't really get more specific then that but not citrus fruits. Concludes with a nice dry finish

M - medium mouthfeel

D - A delicious brew and the moderate abv% could make this to a session beer if you are feeling so inclined. I know I'd be down.

Overall, a gem of a beer and I expect nothing less from the Trappists (523 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +13.3%

A- Much darker than I would expect for a dubbel, and foamed over when I opened it :(. I won't hold that against this beer. It is a dark tan color with an off white head that diminishes to a film.

S- Caramel malt and fig dominate. Sugary sweetness and barley twang in the background, a bit of alcohol

T- Fig, caramel, and a hefty serving of malt. Dark cherries, and other dark fruits are in the background. Slight bitter taste, barely any alcohol taste. Little bit tart at the end

M- bold, but medium body. Full flavor with a drinkable feel.

D- Extremely drinkable. Full of flavor, but does not weigh you down. (613 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +8%

A- Dense, light-chocolate. Huge, pearly brown head. Great lacing.

S- Chocolate, banana, and yeast aromas.

T- Chocolate, banana, and some espresso. Distinct, rich yeast flavor mixes with toffee to play the last few measures in this symphony masterpiece.

M- Creamy and thick, with head also playing a nice supporting role. Good carbonation.

D- A very complex beer with a uniquely delicious, creamy yeast flavor that stands out stronger than the hop or malt flavors, while simultaneously contributing as the dominant factor that gives this brew a lot of personality. This drink, very literally, turns me on! (608 characters)

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle