Join our email list →

Brouwerij Westmalle
Belgium | website

Dubbel | 7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,167 | Hads: 2,537
4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

P: 33cL brown bottle "TRAPPISTENBIER" stamped around the neck.

A: Pours a dark brown with a thick and creamy tan-colored head. Visible bits of black yeast when held up to light.

S: Peppery, slight caramel notes.

T: Chocolate, malty, and fruity. A dry, alcoholic bit after the first impression, but nonetheless, a great experience for the tongue. Warming.

M: Coarse, almost gritty from the yeast. Medium carbonation and relatively thick body.

D: 100% drinkable, and for me, that's an interesting concept for a Belgian Ale. If these didn't cost so much here in FL, I'd consider buying this every week.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L dark brown with thick head, quickly gone
S caramel, prune, spicy, alcohol is hidden well from smelling
T sweet after taste, warming, very balance
Mouthfeel creamy and smooth
Overall love it. Will be back for more

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Wow...my new favorite dubbel

appearance:nice dark color not too much brussels lace..and It did seem to improve with warming in the glass....losing some of the carbonation

smell:lots of dark stone fruit smells and not allot of estery smells

taste:wow great dark malt flavors with notes of cherry? and other dark stone fruits

mouthfeel...a bit too much carbonation at first then it mellowed and got silky as hell

drinkablity:I could drink this all day

3.78/5  rDev -8.9%

I have really wanted to try a trappist ale for a long time. I really have not tasted many, or maybe any belgians. I hope this is nice place to start.

Popped the top and a quick temp reading shows 49 degrees. Pour into a chalice reveals a dark, dark brew. Hold it up to the light and it is dark, murky brown. Very creamy, robust head that has the tiniest of bubbles. Looks good.

Smell is of spritzy fruit. Almost pungent aroma. Weak Banana bread. Slight alcohol. I think slight cherry?

Taste reveals something very foreign. So this is Belgian ale? Not too bad but very very different. Malt, oak, bitter fruits. Something very earthy about it. Unleavened, or maybe even stale bread. Slight bitterness on the back side. The first drink is very different from the next several. Makes my tongue slightly numb. I can certainly taste yeast. I said I have had very few Belgians but this shares a quality with the ones I have had. I think it is the yeast. Interesting.

I like this stuff and from what I have read it is a good example of the style. I would certainly drink another.

4.4/5  rDev +6%

The Pour: Pours a deep brown with a red huewith a full tan head.

The Smell: Fruity and alcohol was my first indication, followed by nutts and rasins

The Taste: the the wonderful aromas came through in the taste. and they hide the alcohol well.

The Mouthfeel: A well body beer

I could drink a few of these maybe not in one setting thou.

4.76/5  rDev +14.7%

This is the first trappist beer I've tried. Had it today.

Poured out dark, with an unusual brown head. I could see the yeast swimming around at the bottom of my glass as I chose not to filter it.

The smell was the only thing less than magnificant. It didn't really have much of a smell. But the faint smell was fruity and very appealing.

It tasted like fruit and maybe some chocolate thrown in the mix. Nothing low quality about this one.

The mouthfeel wasn't too watery, wasn't too heavy. It was just perfect.

This is definately a premium beer for the connoisseur, appropriate to be enjoyed with a gourmet meal or on a special occasion.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

A great Dubbel with the classic aroma of caramel, malts and beautiful yeast overtones. Classic Belgian pour and color. Taste lingers a bit but leaves you wanting more. Hard to find a better value in a Dubbel A real winner which is readily available in our area. Life is good.

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%

appearance: dark ruby color but no opacity. huge, brown head with extensive lacing

aroma: citrus, fruit, bready and a hint of yeast

mouthfeel: slightly sour, a little bitter, easy to drink. again with a little citrus but as opposed to the aroma, this is definitely stronger on the yeast end

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Esta é uma das grandes representantes do estilo dubbel, e mais um respeitado rótulo trapista. Eu só conheci dois rótulo Westmalle, mas os dois mostraram representar cervejas de qualidade suprema, que com que certeza posicionam a cervejaria como um dos grandes nomes do mundo.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle into a pint glass. The beer poured a nice opaque amber color with a beautiful, creamy head that kept its lacing. I must have poured this a lot better than some of my fellow reviewers, because I didn't have the full head that everyone is talking about, but rather an absolutely perfect quarter inch head or so.

The smell is rather difficult to describe, but it is nonetheless pleasant. I'm not a wine expert, but it literally smelled like generic wine. I could discern some fig, wild berries, toffee, malt, chocolate, and of course, alcohol and I'm sure there is plenty of other fruit in it. The smell is tremendous and is only a sign of more good things to come.

The initial taste wasn't nearly as good as it was once it warmed. I've noted before that my refrigerator is quite cold (due to my roommates), but the flavors became quite vibrant and stately once the brew reached closer to room temperature. Absolutely delicious. The blend of fruit, spices, alcohol, and tannin made it almost taste like it smelled - like wine(!)

Mouthfeel was perhaps the weakest (if there is a weakest) part of this brew. I felt as though there was a bit too much carbonation that kept the beer from reaching its true potential until it warmed up. Once warm, however, the brew went down entirely too smooth for a beer with 7% abv.

And that leads to drinkability. Again, for a 7% abv beer, this is almost entirely too drinkable. I'm a bit upset I only bought the single because I can't wait to have another one and to let my friends try this as well. The monks are certainly doing something right, one of the better beers I've had in a long time.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Bottle from Belgianbeershop.com. Head: beige, thick, stable, nice lacing. Color: dark red brown, very beautiful. Aroma: filled with roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, caramel. The taste is very well balanced with a fantastic full mouthfeel. Notes of caramel and banana. Very long finish. This is one of the best trappist ales, almost as good as the Westmalle tripel.

4.59/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Rich brown to burnt orange, especially when held to the light. 2 inches of fluffy, tab foam, which lingers, eventually settling, yet never disappearing. Looks great in the chalice.
Smell: Sweet! Like effervescent brown sugar and plums. Absolutely fantastic!
Taste: Starts quite similar to the smell, then yields to a more complex malty flavor, which ends with a slight hoppy, yet delicious bitterness. This blew me away.
Mouth-Feel: Thick, almost syrupy. This lingers on the tongue for quite some time. It feels heavy.
Overall: This is in my top 10. This is the third time I've had this and it has been incredible each time. Obviously it is pricy, but then again it is not something I'd drink just any day.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The prune juice brown color with fine belgian lace surrounding a tall glass. Nose is slightly malty with hints of fruits and dark sugar. A range of malt flavor from sweet to slightly sour that gives way to a balanced a spicy hop finish. Truly well crafted. Great for those mild fall days.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

This beer poored with a good frothy headand had some nice sweet aromas. Flavors of banana and sweet malt were good and made this beer enjoyable. Had some yeast hints on the body of this beer which was nice and rich. This beer overall was a good dubbel and would drink it again.

4.26/5  rDev +2.7%

A - dark mahogany brown with about an inch of foamy head which quickly went away

S - sweet, chocolatey, caramel, nougat, butterscotch, toffee

T - Chocolate very rich and malty. Fruity aftertaste and I can't really get more specific then that but not citrus fruits. Concludes with a nice dry finish

M - medium mouthfeel

D - A delicious brew and the moderate abv% could make this to a session beer if you are feeling so inclined. I know I'd be down.

Overall, a gem of a beer and I expect nothing less from the Trappists

4.69/5  rDev +13%

A- Much darker than I would expect for a dubbel, and foamed over when I opened it :(. I won't hold that against this beer. It is a dark tan color with an off white head that diminishes to a film.

S- Caramel malt and fig dominate. Sugary sweetness and barley twang in the background, a bit of alcohol

T- Fig, caramel, and a hefty serving of malt. Dark cherries, and other dark fruits are in the background. Slight bitter taste, barely any alcohol taste. Little bit tart at the end

M- bold, but medium body. Full flavor with a drinkable feel.

D- Extremely drinkable. Full of flavor, but does not weigh you down.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

A- Dense, light-chocolate. Huge, pearly brown head. Great lacing.

S- Chocolate, banana, and yeast aromas.

T- Chocolate, banana, and some espresso. Distinct, rich yeast flavor mixes with toffee to play the last few measures in this symphony masterpiece.

M- Creamy and thick, with head also playing a nice supporting role. Good carbonation.

D- A very complex beer with a uniquely delicious, creamy yeast flavor that stands out stronger than the hop or malt flavors, while simultaneously contributing as the dominant factor that gives this brew a lot of personality. This drink, very literally, turns me on!

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Medium-brown, milky appearance, light brown head that was solid and long-lasting. Plenty of champagne-style bubbles. Nose was herbal, perfumy, some citrus notes. Taste was mildly hoppy with herbal and spicy notes. Mouthfeel was smooth, not thin, not heavy. Well-balanced, robust flavor.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

After sampling Rochefort's #8 I was happily granted an evening with a Westmalle Dubbel and having acquired a taste for the great Trappist ales, I can say I was not disappointed!

A: Very nice cloudy dark chocolate brown color with a nice minimal creamy head that still managed to retain nice lacing as I progressed.

S: Excellent aroma complementing each other with nice dark, rich fruity tartness with malty sweet caramel and chocolate that I wish I could scent my house with!!

T: Very complex flavors starting with the nice caramel/dark chocolate sweetness with some tart dark fruit flavors progressing into a mild hoppy bitter character providing excellent depth while not overbearing.

M: As with all Trappist ales, the mouthfeel is perfect in my opinion, with that syrupy smoothness that coats well and the nice bubbly carbonation keeping everything light without imparting any harsh flavors.

So far, this Westmalle and the Rochefort #8 are the two best Dubbels that I have sampled so far. I hope one day to give each of the Trappist dubbels a try but until then, this still remains one of my most favorite beers!

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Bought recently at the LCBO in Ontario based on Beer Connoisseur Mags listing this as one of the best of 2014. Poured it into a chalice shaped glass. The beer is brown with a rich foamy head and some lacing going up the glass. You can smell the alcohol and caramel sweetness.This is a complex, delicious beer that is enhanced as the beer warms in the glass.It's velvety smooth.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured into a chalice, this Dubbel is a very deep red with a thick, slightly tan head.

The aroma is less fruity than many Dubbels I've had. The balance is nice, not all fruit, definitely some spice, and a little alcohol. None of the individual elements are really in control here.

The flavor and aroma are very similar. There's a nice fruitiness up front, not as intense as in some BSDAs, but still very noticeable. There's a slight sourness, in addition to the almost plumlike fruit, followed by a nice dash of spice and alcohol that slightly drys out the finish. The middle has a touch of caramel, which is a very nice addition. The flavor on the whole is quite complex and multifaceted.

The beer is solidly of medium body, but the dry spicy finish makes it drink as though it is slightly lighter. A little more head retention would have lent it more creaminess and probably boosted this up to a higher plane.

So far, so good with Westmalle. Both their Dubbel and the Tripel I had two nights ago have been top shelf beers. These monks know their craft exceptionally well.

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

A: poured into a triple goblet glass with a hard pour at 40F, got a little head, and its lacing stuck to the walls and is lasting a long while.
Brown in color with some cloudiness because I poured it yeast and all.

S:plum like grapes, some leather overtones. sweet malt, rock candy
like, no hops, mild alchol hits the nose as it warms up

T: very rich and complex plum flavor, with rock candy sweetness, you get the malt and yeast falvors, little or no hops, but its nice and balanced out. not to sweet but it is a dubbel.

M: creamy, medium body, nice carbonation

D: easy to drink but the abv does sneak up on yea.

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

I review this beer holding it the standards of previous Trappist beers that I have tasted.

It poured very easily, not too much head, but still looked great. Deep ruby, not particularly clear.

It smelled SO strongly of caramel, I was shocked. I had assumed (like Chimay) that it would be much more subtle, dry, overt, but this was a very sweet punch in the nose. It's sort of a honey molasses combination in the sweetness. A bit of the typical dried fruit.

Naturally, as this is a very sought after beer, it tasted fine. I have much worse on a daily basis, but in this class of beers, it does not cut it for me. Too expensive, and I can hardly believe that it has attenuated to the degree that "Brew Like a Monk" suggests. The caramel is overwhelming, and just a bit too sweet.

Ah, now that I think about the mouth feel of the drink, I can understand the claim to high attenuation. It has actually gotten better as it warmed, but still not my ideal Trappist choice.

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%

12oz bottle. Poured, sadly, into a tumbler at Tapwerks, OKC, OK.

A deep, russet, brown, with red highlights, and an offwhite to tan head which poured at three fingerwidths, and hung around at about a half for the whole drink.

The nose after warming was sweet and boozy - dark fruits (dates, figs and overripe purple grapes) and caramel esters, with some subtle spiciness.

Plenty of residual sugars on the palate. A sweet marriage of caramel malty flavours, with darks fruits and a little earthiness from the yeast. Alcohol grows ever present as it warms, but far from unwelcome. This is beer is like a rich, complex port or sherry.

Mouthfeel is smooth and warming. Quite rich, without being unctuous, but certainly a sipper. A fantastic, complex beer, that begs to be the centre of attention for an evening.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured into a Tripel Karmeliet goblet.

A: Bordering on brown with red notes. Good off-white head, lingers nicely. Bit of chill haze, not quite clear.

S: Light caramel, almost diacetyl-like, light chocolate with raisins, a bit of apple, rose-like alcohol, low noble hop aroma. Spiciness subdued.

T: Light, dancing with flavors. Medium malt sweetness, notes of honey, hard cider, low hop bitterness, light spiciness and a bit papery.

M: Medium-full body, medium-high carbonation, smooth alcohol touch, no astringency on the palate.

D: Complex beer despite not being massive. Caramalized and standard sugars lightened the body while creating nice caramel and apple flavors.

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle