Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,149 | Hads: 2,437
4.45/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

poured into a westmalle goblet, about a finger of thick, cloudy foam, which did not disappear for minutes, creating a nice looking top to the ruby-brown color. smells of raisins or plums and caramely malts. tastes nutty, malty, a tinge of sweet and cocoa bitterness. mouthfeel is good, with the tickling of carbonation. i will definitely have this beer again. (359 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

Bottle may have been disturbed by the cashier at Wine Gallery as he dropped it into my bag (honest mistake, no biggie) because the carbonation came up really quickly into the neck as I opened it.

Not having a suitable tulip, I used a red wine glass and this dubbel poured to a deep dark amber with a nice frothy head on top that left islands of lace on the glass.

Smells off of this beer are kind of indistinct to me. Some very faint chocolate and coffee aromas, but this damned city living has ruined my sense of smell, I'm afraid.

Mouthfeel is highly carbonated (too much?) but this could be the fault of the above mentioned bottle disturbance. Raisins, prunes and dark rye bread seem to dominate. Nothing terribly hoppy here and the alcohol profile is well-defined and not hiding behind any other flavors. This dubbel does not fool around. You taste all of its 7% ABV. (881 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

750 ml bottle poured into a standard pub glass.

Poured very nicely, effervescent without filling the glass with foam. Head settles down nicely with that classic belgian lace on the sides.

S - Currants, raisins and grandmas old fashioned rum fruitcake. That first smell is priceless.

A - Mahogany brown, can barely see through the glass. Crisp head, small bubbles.

T - Smooth and dry, finishes with a touch of dried fruit. Crisp and light for a darker beer.

M - Slightly effervescent, enough to let you know it is there without being overpowering and slowing you down. You *could* drink it fast if you wanted... but why would you want to?

D - Smooth, flavorful without being precocious, a hard beer to surpass. (718 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

This beer is just good.

Poured into an authentic Westmalle Challice

Dark, dark brown with a good head that turns slowly to a tan layer on top of the beer. Not much lacing.

Smells slightly burnt and of caramel and chocolate. Molasses. call me crazy but i get a distinct sour cherry smell that i get from a lot of wines.

The sour cherry-esque smell is in the taste too and im ih heaven. There is a bit of a malty sweetness but this beer is pretty dry towards the end finishing with a slowly dissipating long lasting harmony of dark chocolate, fruits (dates?), and creaminess. In the middle there is a spike of an almost acidic fruity flavor of raspberries. Boozy considering it is only 7% It warms me up

Dang good mouthfeel. It has a creamy full feel in the mouth, very very rounded, nothing is poking at my mouth, just soft... oh so soft. Very carbonated, a massage of the tongue.

Pretty damn drinkable, i think i could handle a few more. this is however not a session beer.

Same yeast as westvleteren but a completely different beer, it would be fun to pick up one of these next time i get my hands on a westy and compare. (1,129 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -44.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I guess I have to get another bottle because I don't see what all the excitement is all about. I got none of the malty yeasty sweet flavor you expect from a dubbel. Actually it was not full flavored at all. I would compare it to a Becks dark. Very disappointed. (261 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +18.8%

A - Medium-brown body; nearly opaque. Very fluffy tan head fills out the Westmalle chalice quite nicely. Very active carbonation is visible.

S - The aroma is absolutely heavenly, and unfortunately my words probably won't do it justice. I smell figs, plums, candies, and malt- all in perfect balance. Not a single characteristic overwhelms the others. Quite honestly, I don't believe I've had a beer with a more delightful aroma than this.

T - The taste is beyond wonderful and fantastically complex. Malty sweetness up front (very well controlled), a tiny bit of alcohol warmth in the middle, and the tiniest hint of bitterness round out this heavenly experience. Laugh if you will, but the only food I've paired with this is a sugar cookie last Christmas just for kicks (which, believe it or not, worked very well). It's actually so wonderfully good that I can't imagine pairing it with anything at all (aside from my one-time cookie experiment) for fear of muting the flavor. This one stands well on its own.

M - Again; I don't think this can be topped for the style. The body hovers between some lighter dubbels and heavier quads. The carbonation is perfect- it dances on your tongue without impacting the taste whatsoever.

O - There's no doubt in my mind; this is a fantastic beer. It's by far my favorite dubbel, and I don't think anything else I've tried even comes close. Sadly it's taken me several years to get around to reviewing this (just as I'm lagging behind on reviewing everything else I've tried), but I decided to pop one open tonight and share my thoughts. The price is very reasonable as well- particularly when considering the pricier offerings that can't manage to come close as far as quality. (1,720 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -13%

Bottle gives dark brown color with thick lasting off-white head. Nice aroma of dark fruits and yeast. Taste matches aroma with dark fruits, malts, yeast, spice - a bit sharper than I am used to with dubbels. Finish mildly bitter, thin mouthfeel. Overall just a step above OK. (275 characters)

I had this on draft in the village it was made in and it was fantastic / delicious. BUT this review is based on the bottle I had in Brighton and it was average, a little bitter and had an unpleasant burnt after taste. (217 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -6%

A: It's a dark brown, red highlighted beer, with a bubbly light tan head that doesn't last too long or foam over the glass ( this happened with this beer's sister brew, Westmalle Trippel).

S: Caremel-like sweetness, dark sweet fruits and a bit of pleasant breadiness, smells as pleasant as it looks.

T: Fruits dominate the taste palate. Syruppy, caramelesque flavors penetrate the frutiness to blend a sweet, rich taste of great complexity and balance.

M&D: High alcohol limits the drinkability, but there is at least an attempt to hide the apparent booziness...Not the most sessionable, but easily worth having a few. (621 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

11.2 ounce bottle into a Belgian tulip glass.

A: Brown with a beige creamy head. Fine bubbles. Larger than expected head.

S: Clean, almost soapy (not in a bad way). Prunes.

T: Fruity like the smell, prunes and raisins, and with molasses.

M: Bubbly with a little bit dry finish.

D: Balanced. Easy to drink. I would have another. (333 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -10.6%

I got this beer on accident when I ordered the Tripple. It was a little disappointing, considering the A rating. Flavor is good, but not terribly complex. If you like the Bernardus, you might like this one, but there are better Belgian ales, in my opinion. (256 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

Date on bottle: 31/01/06

Poured in a pint glass (cause that's all I have atm). Poured a dark hazelnut color with a tight two finger head. Finished with yeast in the head, which doesn't bother me.

Smell was figs and heavy malts.

Taste was heavy but the ABV was hidden well. Hints of prunes were throughout the first few sips, than subtled down once reaching towards room temp.

Mouthfeel left a bitter feel in the back of the throat, well played.

Overall a phenomenal beer. (486 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

LLove this beer. Underappreciated. Slow drinker like your suppose to drink beer. For the mature drinker. Classic dubbel with dryness like champagne. Goes well with cheese pastries my wife makes. Expensive even if you can find a deal. Three is usually all I can drink. This is not for the chugger. Dont leave in your freezer more than an hour or you have a slushy,which still tastes awesome. Ive discovered that if you wait till you get close to the expiration date on the back it becomes sweeter. One of my favorite beers to enjoy. Please try with patience. (557 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

A- pours a dark red-chestnut brown, two fingers of thick cream colored head that dissipated into a thin bubbly layer.

S- nutty, caramel malts, toffee. Smell is on the sweeter side for a dubbel

T- balanced malt and nutty flavors, very subtle toffee. Not as sweet as the smell would lead you to believe

M- well carbonated, but still provides a pleasant smooth mouthfeel, moderate body

D- very drinkable beer, one of my personal favorite dubbels. Well balanced, no overwhelming flavors, could definitely drink a few of these in one setting. (541 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +14.3%

I have been harassed for years for turning my nose to dubbels. Don't ask me why. They just didn't sit right with me. Always seemed like the shitty little brother to my lovely quads. Not the juicy quads on these foreign girls that raid my nest, but the herculian brew we all raise a glass to. Those spectacular beverages that push the double digit mark on the ABV scale. For the second time in my life, I have been proven wrong. Avoiding dubbels meant that I was avoiding Westmalle Dubbel, and this beer happens to be one of the most finely tuned brews on God's green earth. The perfect balance. Exceptional taste and mouthfeel. Reminds me of the breasts I had in my mouth this past weekend. This, in turn, reminded me of the third time in my life I had been proven wrong. Right after discovering this special beer, I was approached my a loose-lipped Dutch girl at a hostel I was spending the night in. During conversation, breast size was brought up, and my friend guessed that she was a b-cup. I laughed at the notion that she was a b, since that chest was going nowhere but inward, so leaned closer for further inspection. With the Westmalle Dubbel in one hand, I used my free mitt to size up the specimen. He was right, b-cup. I then finished my Westmalle, and convinced her to fetch more beers. I then went to sleep. She could not trick me into sleeping with her. Since that night, I have realized that when guessing bra size, the b-cup is the go-to cup size. That guess will win you more battles than you lose. There is also such a go-to when it comes to world class beers. This is Westmalle Dubbel. It may not be the people's champ, like the over-hyped c-cup, but it is always the go-to when you need something to bring home. I am now a Dubbel man, and Westmalle is my girl. (1,780 characters)

I had this one on bottle.
I like the appearance of this beer. Brown - black color with a little bit red into it.
The head looks a bit tan and frothy.
This beer smells, in my opinion, like nuts, dark chocolate and a little burn smell.
I tasted a litte bitterness which persist to the finish. The finish duration is average. (323 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +8%

Had this beer at the Rathskellar in Indianapolis.

Appearance: Dark, with barely a lacing of head in the glass.

smell: very sweet smelling, Lots of bananas upfront, and dates.

taste: started with a sweet fruity taste met with a then complex mash of chocolate, and a dry taste of alchohol

mouthfeel: varied, started out smooth, but became grainy from the yeast at the bottom of the bottle.

drinkability: at 7% abv, you wouldn't know there is alchohol in it. I would have had several if it hadn't been for the drive home. (535 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance - Pours russet brown, opaque, even when held directly up to a light, with amber tones around the edge. The head is tan and fluffy, about 1/8'' at the end.

Smell - Fruity and slightly spicy, with hints of raisin and plum and some rum-like aroma.

Taste - Matches the aroma closely - raisiny with some plum and spiciness and caramel notes. This beer is sweet in the middle and has a surprisingly clean finish w/moderately lingering bitterness. Mouth feel is light to moderate in my opinion and this is a drinkable beer given its complexity and a decent kick at 7% ETOH.

Overall this is an enjoyable, complex beer that makes me want to try more in this style and experiment matching w/food. (700 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

A - Poured into a Westmalle Goblet. It has a brown with reddish tones in appearance with a small head after the pour.

S - High Malt and a hint of cherries.

T - Complex flavor. Semi-Sweet with a dry finish. Carmel and cherries are what I sense.

M - Medium carbonation. Very Smooth and you like is more and more as you drink it.

D - I am not going to say it's a session beer at 7%, but it's highly drinkable.

I love this beer it's has become may favorite dubbel. (492 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12.8%

Serving: Center-poured from 11.2 oz bottle into a large snifter glass.

This beer pours a beautiful, dark chocolate brown color with a dense, foamy tan head which has excellent retention.

Aromas of caramel/toffee and fruit are very prevalent with the initial pour. As head slowly (and I mean slowly) fades, you cannot help but to keep your nose in it, further picking up the aroma of caramel, dates, and berries with some malt, but not as much as one would expect from a Trappist.

Still sniffing all the way up until it touches the tongue, one may taste the aromas described above, but also with a proper, mild bitterness. It feels smooth as it enters the mouth onto the tongue, then gently bites you in the back as you swallow.

The drinkabilty is superb, for it gets better and better with every sip and as it gradually warms, further enhancing the flavor. "Trappist" should be its own group on the food pyramid. Despite the cost and trouble to find it in the states, I wouldn't mind having one every day. (1,010 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +17.1%

After recently acquiring a job bartending at a Belgian Bar in New York, I have been delighted with my exposure to new beers and with a full immersion of the Belgian styles. I have since taken a new favorite, Westmalle Dubbel. Everything about this beer is amazing. I love the mouthfeel and could drink this beer alone, with food, on a cold day, or in an alley and I would be happy. I feel that the carbonation combined with the subtle notes of chocolate and malt just make an explosion of flavor that surprised me the first time I drank one. I was a huge fan of the Triple and randomly tried the Dubbel and soon found a new favorite. The proper pour in the proper glass just gives me a happy feeling every time I return to it. Combine this with the traditional Belgian Carbonnades Flammandes for an exceptional dinner. (818 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -2.9%

Very fresh bottle, poured into an unbranded chalice. Bottle from the local grocery store.

Gently pouring the bottle out, it left me with a full glass of clear, dark caramel colored beer with a big foamy head lasting for about two minutes.

It smells like a lot of malt, yeast and dark dried fruits (raisins)

This bottle was bottled on 6 dec. 2011, so the taste was very fresh and very bitter. Not so sweet at all at this moment. I like an older bottle better, but I needed a young bottle for the yeast.

Mouthfeel is very nice. Perfectly carbonated, creamy with a touch of alcohol. Aftertaste balanced to little bitter.

Overall a very good beer. Needs some time to develop into a sweeter, less bitter, complex and interesting beer. Not so interesting when young, but I now it's full potential. (796 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +0.7%

Just picked up a small bottle at Hy-Vee. Actually thought I saw La Chouffe, but was mistaken, so this was what I bought.
Pours nice with a semi-cloudy dark amber color, not much lace, but lots of smell! I read some reviews on the Hy-Vee, directed toward the fact that they keep their Belgiums on the top shelf close to the lights, but I don't get any stale skunky taste from this one.
Smells and tastes as if there is a slight Bock taste, smooth, semi-sweet, some chocolate, but doesn't bother hiding the 7% ABV as indicated on the bottle. I think I could drink more of these, but at the price....I dunno.
Mouth feel is comparable to other Belgiums I've had, so it doesn't dissapoint. Reminds me ALOT of a good bock, I can't get past that.
As stated before, I could drink more of these. Nice beer! Recommend trying this one!! (830 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +1.7%

I was very happy to find the Belgian-owned Delhaize grocery store here in Cologne, which stocks a few Belgian beers for a very reasonable price (this 12 oz bottle literally rang up for less than an kiosk espresso). One can only drink so much kölsch in Cologne.

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass. This beer is very dark in color. The head has medium sized bubbles and a tannish hue. Yeast collects in the bottom of the glass.

The smell is not bold at all. It smells of malts and yeast with a hint of sweetness. It tastes like a delicious dark bread, hints of carmel and chocolate (though not as heavy as a typical porter) and a touch of bitterness. It is extremely smooth, with a great creamy mouth feel. There is hardly any aftertaste or an real warming effect as you swallow.

A solid dubble, which I am happy that I can enjoy so frequently. (856 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

thanks again chefscott79.

a - I love the appearance of this beer. very cloudy golden caramel color.

s - smells of lightly burnt sugar and dates. some light fruity notes, apple core as well.

t - the taste is great. black cherry, dates. finishes woody and jammy.

m - carbonation is moderate, i was worried because it had a fake cork and it didn't 'pop' when i opened it.

d - i've heard that this is an excellent example of a dubble. i greatly enjoyed it and could drink this anytime. (491 characters)

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle