Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,423 | Reviews: 1,159
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a very clear amber body with two fingers of creamy tan head that held nicely and left beautiful lacing on the glass. Tiny bubbles can be seen rising to the surface from the bottom of the glass and there is an audible crackling of bubbles breaking on the surface.

S - Aroma of dark fruits (plums, raisons, figs), spices, yeast, and a hint of sweetness.

T - Taste dark fruits, brown sugar, yeast, a light malt flavor, wine-like sweetness and spices typical of belgian brews.

F/D - Fairly carbonated which brings out the full flavor of the dark fruits. A full, deliciously rich feel. Trappists like this make me realize why I love beer.

4.49/5  rDev +7.7%

I had this last night, and although it wasn't the first time, it was while brewing and thus it seemed that much more inspiring so I figured I'd review it.

Poured into a St. Bernardus chalice, this beer poured a wonderful crimson/brown colour with fairly good clarity and a nice finger of fluffy off tan head. As impressive as it looked it what came next thats a real winner, smell. The aroma on this beer is such that you almost don't even want to drink the beer, instead just inhale the aroma deeply allnight. Almost. Huge aroma of chocolate, dark malts, dark fruits (figs come to mind), sweet bread, and a mild hint of clover.

Taste has similiar elements as the aroma, although on the body the chocolate/malt flavour is huge and dominating with a nice sweet center holding it all together. The fruits appear subtley in the finish and it cuts through with just enough hops to cut the sweetness and a nice smack of alcohol that dries and warms the palate. Wonderful.

Mouthfeel is nice, although perhaps a little too carbonated, but its got a great overall silky texture to it. As for drinkability, for the style and ABV its extremely quaffable and I could probably go through gallons of it, expecially when it tastes and smells so damn good. One of the best dubbels out there.

3.92/5  rDev -6%

11.2 oz bottle poured into an over sized St. Bernardus goblet.

I was a bit surprised at the little head I got from this beer. Very thin, with only half of the glass being hugged by the head. Very strange considering the other reviews and how I poured this just as I pour all my other similar beers. Though it does lace quite nicely down the side of the glass as I drink from it, seemingly disappears quickly.

A murky opaque brown as expected. Slightly above average carbonation, I can really feel the tingle from it as I drink it and it leaves a dry finish. Notes of malt, melon, banana, and dark fruits in the nose.

It's very smooth, even with the slight bit of extra carbonation. As with the nose there are similar flavors that come through. It's a bit crisp, the flavors don't linger as long as with others.

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

Received this beer as a thank you from a shoe fitting. 750 mL bottle poured into my favorite glass...

A: A deep, dark brew pours forth from the bottle, lacing the glass with a fine layer of carbonation as it pours. A solid, off-white, half-inch head forms once the pour is done. Not stunning, but above average.

S: The faint smell of tobacco begins the experience, as dates follow behind. Caramel fills in the notes as the beer begins to warm a touch.

T: This is where things shine a bit. First comes a bit of candy-esque sweetness; milk chocolate is probably the closest. It then melts into a bit of caramel, before switching gears a bit. A touch of bitter tobacco comes to the fore, before finishing quite clean and dry, with a touch of warmth from the alcohol. It's a fair bit of a journey with every step, with the chocolate and caramel fighting for attention, whereas the other flavors mentioned are more willing to hide behind and play as accompaniment.

M: A bit on the thinner side, with a fine bit of carbonation. I think a touch thicker would have pleased my palate more, but would have been a bit off for the style.

O: A delicious Trappist Dubbel, worth every second to savor. Took the better part of an hour to work my way through this one, and I am left wondering where that hour went. A great journey.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Was excited to happen upon this in Jackson NJ. A very nice surprise. Stamped 04/08/11. An aged review surely to follow...

An aggressive pour into a Duvel tulip yielded a 2.5 finger eggshell head that quickly dissipated. Terrific lacing.

Nut and fruit hits the nose. Specifically, walnuts, dates, raisin, and banana. Banana bread in a bottle! A longer, deeper inhale reveals the alcohol. Sneaky.

Dark berries and brown sugar sweetness. Caramel, yeast and a hint of dark chocolate way in the back. Somewhat spicy (baking spices). As it warms, the heat takes front stage, coupled with an orange rind taste (no citrus; just the rind).

It's much thinner than anticipated. There's a sharp carbonation, not unlike a Duvel. There's a dryness that, while unexpected, is quite pleasing. An interesting experience; the dark, malty smell and taste that feels so "light". This Dubbel clings to the roof, but not for long.

Very drinkable indeed. Can have this over and over. All in all, it's a quality Dubbel that won't leave you feeling like you've just had a quality Dubbel.

4.48/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance= Dark reddish Brown, with about three fingers of creamy head.

Smell= simple light malt smell.

Taste= A complex. There is alcohol at the front, but it soon gives way to a caramel and sweet flavor. As the beer warms up it becomes even more layer, with indicators of fennel and sesame seed, barley, and maybe a touch of oakiness.

Mouth feel= It tingles while it sits on the tongue.

Drink ability= I like this beer a lot, but I'm kind of a Trappist groupie.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

poured into a westmalle goblet, about a finger of thick, cloudy foam, which did not disappear for minutes, creating a nice looking top to the ruby-brown color. smells of raisins or plums and caramely malts. tastes nutty, malty, a tinge of sweet and cocoa bitterness. mouthfeel is good, with the tickling of carbonation. i will definitely have this beer again.

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

Bottle may have been disturbed by the cashier at Wine Gallery as he dropped it into my bag (honest mistake, no biggie) because the carbonation came up really quickly into the neck as I opened it.

Not having a suitable tulip, I used a red wine glass and this dubbel poured to a deep dark amber with a nice frothy head on top that left islands of lace on the glass.

Smells off of this beer are kind of indistinct to me. Some very faint chocolate and coffee aromas, but this damned city living has ruined my sense of smell, I'm afraid.

Mouthfeel is highly carbonated (too much?) but this could be the fault of the above mentioned bottle disturbance. Raisins, prunes and dark rye bread seem to dominate. Nothing terribly hoppy here and the alcohol profile is well-defined and not hiding behind any other flavors. This dubbel does not fool around. You taste all of its 7% ABV.

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

750 ml bottle poured into a standard pub glass.

Poured very nicely, effervescent without filling the glass with foam. Head settles down nicely with that classic belgian lace on the sides.

S - Currants, raisins and grandmas old fashioned rum fruitcake. That first smell is priceless.

A - Mahogany brown, can barely see through the glass. Crisp head, small bubbles.

T - Smooth and dry, finishes with a touch of dried fruit. Crisp and light for a darker beer.

M - Slightly effervescent, enough to let you know it is there without being overpowering and slowing you down. You *could* drink it fast if you wanted... but why would you want to?

D - Smooth, flavorful without being precocious, a hard beer to surpass.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

This beer is just good.

Poured into an authentic Westmalle Challice

Dark, dark brown with a good head that turns slowly to a tan layer on top of the beer. Not much lacing.

Smells slightly burnt and of caramel and chocolate. Molasses. call me crazy but i get a distinct sour cherry smell that i get from a lot of wines.

The sour cherry-esque smell is in the taste too and im ih heaven. There is a bit of a malty sweetness but this beer is pretty dry towards the end finishing with a slowly dissipating long lasting harmony of dark chocolate, fruits (dates?), and creaminess. In the middle there is a spike of an almost acidic fruity flavor of raspberries. Boozy considering it is only 7% It warms me up

Dang good mouthfeel. It has a creamy full feel in the mouth, very very rounded, nothing is poking at my mouth, just soft... oh so soft. Very carbonated, a massage of the tongue.

Pretty damn drinkable, i think i could handle a few more. this is however not a session beer.

Same yeast as westvleteren but a completely different beer, it would be fun to pick up one of these next time i get my hands on a westy and compare.

2.3/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I guess I have to get another bottle because I don't see what all the excitement is all about. I got none of the malty yeasty sweet flavor you expect from a dubbel. Actually it was not full flavored at all. I would compare it to a Becks dark. Very disappointed.

4.92/5  rDev +18%

A - Medium-brown body; nearly opaque. Very fluffy tan head fills out the Westmalle chalice quite nicely. Very active carbonation is visible.

S - The aroma is absolutely heavenly, and unfortunately my words probably won't do it justice. I smell figs, plums, candies, and malt- all in perfect balance. Not a single characteristic overwhelms the others. Quite honestly, I don't believe I've had a beer with a more delightful aroma than this.

T - The taste is beyond wonderful and fantastically complex. Malty sweetness up front (very well controlled), a tiny bit of alcohol warmth in the middle, and the tiniest hint of bitterness round out this heavenly experience. Laugh if you will, but the only food I've paired with this is a sugar cookie last Christmas just for kicks (which, believe it or not, worked very well). It's actually so wonderfully good that I can't imagine pairing it with anything at all (aside from my one-time cookie experiment) for fear of muting the flavor. This one stands well on its own.

M - Again; I don't think this can be topped for the style. The body hovers between some lighter dubbels and heavier quads. The carbonation is perfect- it dances on your tongue without impacting the taste whatsoever.

O - There's no doubt in my mind; this is a fantastic beer. It's by far my favorite dubbel, and I don't think anything else I've tried even comes close. Sadly it's taken me several years to get around to reviewing this (just as I'm lagging behind on reviewing everything else I've tried), but I decided to pop one open tonight and share my thoughts. The price is very reasonable as well- particularly when considering the pricier offerings that can't manage to come close as far as quality.

3.6/5  rDev -13.7%

Bottle gives dark brown color with thick lasting off-white head. Nice aroma of dark fruits and yeast. Taste matches aroma with dark fruits, malts, yeast, spice - a bit sharper than I am used to with dubbels. Finish mildly bitter, thin mouthfeel. Overall just a step above OK.

I had this on draft in the village it was made in and it was fantastic / delicious. BUT this review is based on the bottle I had in Brighton and it was average, a little bitter and had an unpleasant burnt after taste.

3.89/5  rDev -6.7%

A: It's a dark brown, red highlighted beer, with a bubbly light tan head that doesn't last too long or foam over the glass ( this happened with this beer's sister brew, Westmalle Trippel).

S: Caremel-like sweetness, dark sweet fruits and a bit of pleasant breadiness, smells as pleasant as it looks.

T: Fruits dominate the taste palate. Syruppy, caramelesque flavors penetrate the frutiness to blend a sweet, rich taste of great complexity and balance.

M&D: High alcohol limits the drinkability, but there is at least an attempt to hide the apparent booziness...Not the most sessionable, but easily worth having a few.

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

11.2 ounce bottle into a Belgian tulip glass.

A: Brown with a beige creamy head. Fine bubbles. Larger than expected head.

S: Clean, almost soapy (not in a bad way). Prunes.

T: Fruity like the smell, prunes and raisins, and with molasses.

M: Bubbly with a little bit dry finish.

D: Balanced. Easy to drink. I would have another.

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

I got this beer on accident when I ordered the Tripple. It was a little disappointing, considering the A rating. Flavor is good, but not terribly complex. If you like the Bernardus, you might like this one, but there are better Belgian ales, in my opinion.

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

Date on bottle: 31/01/06

Poured in a pint glass (cause that's all I have atm). Poured a dark hazelnut color with a tight two finger head. Finished with yeast in the head, which doesn't bother me.

Smell was figs and heavy malts.

Taste was heavy but the ABV was hidden well. Hints of prunes were throughout the first few sips, than subtled down once reaching towards room temp.

Mouthfeel left a bitter feel in the back of the throat, well played.

Overall a phenomenal beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

LLove this beer. Underappreciated. Slow drinker like your suppose to drink beer. For the mature drinker. Classic dubbel with dryness like champagne. Goes well with cheese pastries my wife makes. Expensive even if you can find a deal. Three is usually all I can drink. This is not for the chugger. Dont leave in your freezer more than an hour or you have a slushy,which still tastes awesome. Ive discovered that if you wait till you get close to the expiration date on the back it becomes sweeter. One of my favorite beers to enjoy. Please try with patience.

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

A- pours a dark red-chestnut brown, two fingers of thick cream colored head that dissipated into a thin bubbly layer.

S- nutty, caramel malts, toffee. Smell is on the sweeter side for a dubbel

T- balanced malt and nutty flavors, very subtle toffee. Not as sweet as the smell would lead you to believe

M- well carbonated, but still provides a pleasant smooth mouthfeel, moderate body

D- very drinkable beer, one of my personal favorite dubbels. Well balanced, no overwhelming flavors, could definitely drink a few of these in one setting.

4.73/5  rDev +13.4%

I have been harassed for years for turning my nose to dubbels. Don't ask me why. They just didn't sit right with me. Always seemed like the shitty little brother to my lovely quads. Not the juicy quads on these foreign girls that raid my nest, but the herculian brew we all raise a glass to. Those spectacular beverages that push the double digit mark on the ABV scale. For the second time in my life, I have been proven wrong. Avoiding dubbels meant that I was avoiding Westmalle Dubbel, and this beer happens to be one of the most finely tuned brews on God's green earth. The perfect balance. Exceptional taste and mouthfeel. Reminds me of the breasts I had in my mouth this past weekend. This, in turn, reminded me of the third time in my life I had been proven wrong. Right after discovering this special beer, I was approached my a loose-lipped Dutch girl at a hostel I was spending the night in. During conversation, breast size was brought up, and my friend guessed that she was a b-cup. I laughed at the notion that she was a b, since that chest was going nowhere but inward, so leaned closer for further inspection. With the Westmalle Dubbel in one hand, I used my free mitt to size up the specimen. He was right, b-cup. I then finished my Westmalle, and convinced her to fetch more beers. I then went to sleep. She could not trick me into sleeping with her. Since that night, I have realized that when guessing bra size, the b-cup is the go-to cup size. That guess will win you more battles than you lose. There is also such a go-to when it comes to world class beers. This is Westmalle Dubbel. It may not be the people's champ, like the over-hyped c-cup, but it is always the go-to when you need something to bring home. I am now a Dubbel man, and Westmalle is my girl.

I had this one on bottle.
I like the appearance of this beer. Brown - black color with a little bit red into it.
The head looks a bit tan and frothy.
This beer smells, in my opinion, like nuts, dark chocolate and a little burn smell.
I tasted a litte bitterness which persist to the finish. The finish duration is average.

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

Had this beer at the Rathskellar in Indianapolis.

Appearance: Dark, with barely a lacing of head in the glass.

smell: very sweet smelling, Lots of bananas upfront, and dates.

taste: started with a sweet fruity taste met with a then complex mash of chocolate, and a dry taste of alchohol

mouthfeel: varied, started out smooth, but became grainy from the yeast at the bottom of the bottle.

drinkability: at 7% abv, you wouldn't know there is alchohol in it. I would have had several if it hadn't been for the drive home.

4.27/5  rDev +2.4%

Appearance - Pours russet brown, opaque, even when held directly up to a light, with amber tones around the edge. The head is tan and fluffy, about 1/8'' at the end.

Smell - Fruity and slightly spicy, with hints of raisin and plum and some rum-like aroma.

Taste - Matches the aroma closely - raisiny with some plum and spiciness and caramel notes. This beer is sweet in the middle and has a surprisingly clean finish w/moderately lingering bitterness. Mouth feel is light to moderate in my opinion and this is a drinkable beer given its complexity and a decent kick at 7% ETOH.

Overall this is an enjoyable, complex beer that makes me want to try more in this style and experiment matching w/food.

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

A - Poured into a Westmalle Goblet. It has a brown with reddish tones in appearance with a small head after the pour.

S - High Malt and a hint of cherries.

T - Complex flavor. Semi-Sweet with a dry finish. Carmel and cherries are what I sense.

M - Medium carbonation. Very Smooth and you like is more and more as you drink it.

D - I am not going to say it's a session beer at 7%, but it's highly drinkable.

I love this beer it's has become may favorite dubbel.

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle