Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,370 | Reviews: 1,148
4.34/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours dark amber-molasses. No head, no lace but very complex smell.
My nose is saying champagne-like effervescence, fruity -chewy- caramel type nose. Another fine beer. I am glad that I have not reviewed any beers that were shitty.

Taste is malty-chewy and syrupy but with a dry finish. Only the good expensive beers are able to do this. This is another of the good ones. Oooh --I should buy more than one next time.

4.87/5  rDev +16.8%

If someone asked you to sum this beer up in one word, what would it be? For me: turtle. You know, those huge gobs of pecan, caramel and chocolate you get at roadside tourist stops and munch on the way to your real destination. Simple, right?. But if you gave me two words, well then, I might say smoked cherries. That wouldn't be enough though, would it? Then I would have to say cedar shavings and cypress knees and forest honey and Spring straw

berries.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured this one into my Duvel tulip glass. Nice eruption of fizzy head that settles into a creamy tan 1/4" thick layer on top of the dark brown beer. The nose is rather floral not showing much sign of sweetness, but it is still very much a complex aroma. The first taste is a quick burst of alcohol flavor and a slight bitter ending. I am drinking this at room temperature. After a few more sips it turns into a very warming beer. Not the sweet and rich flavor of several of the dubbels I've had before, but more of a subtle complexity. The mouthfeel is slightly handicapped by the alcohol taste. This is a very odd beer, very mellow yet bold. Very drinkable although it's no good on the wallet. Overall, this beer wasn't as great as I thought it would be. I will have to try a tripel of theirs, I have read that it is much more impressive.

3.15/5  rDev -24.5%

Very dark colour, with minimal bubbles surfacing. Medium head, brownish coloured, stays for a reasonable amount of time.
Aroma is of fruits and chocolate.
Bitter taste, medium thick body. Bitterness stays in your mouth. Quite carbonated. Overall not bad, quite average.

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

4.69/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A:
Pours a murky dark brown that almost looks greenish in the right light and when pouring. It has a gorgeous tan head that is super active. Excellent retention; beautiful lacing. Nearly perfect.

S:
The smell is really kept together well and smells earthy and yeasty. Wine, cloves, hard water, hearty brown bread.

T:
Wow. Really round earth-sweet flavor with lots of dark fruit and hearty bread flavors present. Extremely well-balanced and 'whole' flavor. Delicious.

M:
Full-bodied and creamy with a nice tickle of carbonation. No lingering taste and a nice almost-booze-tinged finish.

O:
Really fabulous beer.
Looks as good as a beer can. Really non-beer aromas in the nose and a delicious, complete taste make this beer one of the greats. I have been burned by dubbels in the past, but this one is one of the best beers I have ever had. I believe Westmalle was the first brewery to brew a Dubbel as such, but I may be mistaken. It would account for how spectacular this beer is.
WILL have again; worth searching for.

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

A- Very dark hazy chestnut, solid one finger head.

S- Spicy yeasy character and lots of dried fruit intrwined with malt sweetness.

T- Rich caramel malts offset by a spicy yeast character dominate at first. At midpoint more fruity character makes itself evident especially currants which makes for a nice transition in to the vinous finish.

M- Rich yet fizzy.

D- No fight here.

A great Dubbel, but it kinda lacks that wow factor.

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

4.38/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

No goblet available, I poured this one into an oversize wine glass.
Marked "Best before 27/07/12"
A. My pour got me two fingers of light, foamy looking head. The body was a very nice looking brown, about a shade darker than dark chestnut. Head dissipated down to a thick ring and a light overall frosting.

S. Light caramel and sweet malt were my first takes. Searching deeper I found dark fruit and bananas.

T. Taste followed the nose, but did one better. I got mild hops between the malt and the dark fruit, with some nice spices on the end.

M. Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation, this beer glides on down. Tasty and refreshing, the spices on the end build to a very nice taste that stays with you.

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours brown with a decent amount of head that is retained rather nicely. This leads to some amazing lacing.

Smell: Sweet apple, candied fruits, some spice, and belgian yeast.

Taste: Toffee, malty, some spices and candied fruits. Great tasting beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and somewhat creamy.

Drinkability: It's been well over two years since I've enjoyed a Westmalle, but as I was shopping at Whole Foods for Super Bowl food, I spotted this guy sitting there and decided to have one. Great idea as I can see this becoming a regular in my fridge. Such a great balanced beer.

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours out a cloudy rich brown color with a three finger light tan fluffy head. The retention leaves lacing rings all around the glass.

The aroma is sweet and sour. Full of ripe fruit. Hints of red grapes and hints of caramel.

The flavor is full of caramel and ripe fruit. hints of grapes, caramel, toffee, and even some chocolate. The alcohol brings in some sweetness as well. Hop bitterness is mild, reminds me of sour citrus fruit. The bitterness even lingers a bit on the tongue, but very mild.

Creamy mouth feel and a little slick on the palate. Finishes semi dry, lightly carbonated, and is very easy to drink.

Hands down one of my favorite Trappist Dubbel ales.

3.71/5  rDev -11%

11.2oz bottle poured into a goblet. Best before 5/16/08

Opaque chestnut brown color with pleasant brownish head, little lacing.

Not much complexity in the aroma, malty, nice.

Mouthfell is good and creamy with lots of soft carbonation. Taste is certainly very good, solidly delicious dark ale. The main impression is perfect balance between malt, hop, alcohol, no element intrudes on any other. My first taste of Westmalle, I guess I was hoping for something a bit more interesting--I guess mainly because of the price, I feel like there are lots of other ales out there as enjoyable as this.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle