Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,150 | Hads: 2,441
4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured in an Orval glass. Color is dark, mahogany brown with a large beige head that disappers quickly. Slightly cloudy even though I kept the yeast in the bottle.

Smell is sweet, some yeast, bananas. Then some malts, burnt sugar and maybe even some coffee.

Taste is also sweet, like brown sugar. There's some sourness, more bananas, cherries, and some green apples. Very nice and fruity without being heavy at all. But there's also a hint of some unripe fruit, in the finish there's some bitterness and sourness, which slowly gives way again to the initial sweetness. It gets better when it's warmed up a little, the sweetness takes over from the sourness and there's some roasted malts there.

Mouth is medium, with a nice carbonation that tickles the tongue, feels great.

Overall this is a nice and very drinkable beer, but the taste is slightly unbalanced and a bit to sour to become a favourite. (907 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

A: center-pour into a tulip glass produced brown body with fat tan froth head; draped some lace; good head retention; left some dark yeast behind in the bottom of the bottle

S: malty, sweet and hearty; some spice like clove; mild yeast aromas amid the malts

T: brown bread malts, smooth, creamy; little spices' flavor the brew with some tingles

M: medium-weight, medium carbonation; slightly chewy; mild chalk on the back-end

O: how the dubbel is done - of course, on-point for the style, classy enough brew for the novice or adept - a good baseline for evaluating other dubbels. (583 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

Year old bottle stored at proper cellar temp. Poured into goblet.

Murky brown pour with ruby highlights. Finger and a half light tan head. Lacing is excellent.

Brown sugar, vanilla, dark stone fruits, slight alcohol. There is some bananas and digestive cookies. There is a touch of chocolate and burnt toast.

Burnt toast, slight alcohol, dark stone fruits, brown sugar, vanilla, some dark roasted coffee in the finish.

Light to medium body, carbonation is slightly high. (474 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Ive had several times by now, but just getting around to review.
Poured from 11.2oz bottle into glass. pours a deep brown with ruby hue; thick tan foam and lacing. Raisony, dried fruit aromas, with hints of some chocolate; your favorite abbey like aromas.
Taste is bready, dried fruit, chocolate; again typical belgian abbey that we all hope is there. There is a lot going on here. Its a bit harsh/hot in the mouth...not as smooth as I like, but still easy to drink, but it works well.
What is left to say that hasnt been said over a thousand times already...
its a great trappist brew...as most are. Old faithful when in the mood for the style. I usually go for this, a rochefort, or abt 12 when I want a good abbey brew... (726 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

I've tried quite a few times trippel version of Westmalle and was blown away each time. That's why I decided to go for dubbel, too. It has awesome dark color, nice head, malty taste and dark fruits aromas. Alcohol is well hidden, although it does hit hard. Overall, would go for this one anytime again. I see it as suitable in the evenings and in the winter period. If i had to choose between this one and trippel, I would still go for the last. (445 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into an Orval chalice. The pour is fairly clear and dark reddish-brown in color. The head is rather thin and the carbonation rather low for the style. The nose has some fruity esters and nice sweet malty notes. The primary fruits are dark plums and cherries. There is also a nice bready, yeasty note. Like a puff pastry.

The beer has a nice, full body and a firm, slightly creamy mouthfeel. There are lots of flavors of sweet malt, cake, and dark fruit on the front of the tongue. At mid-palate, some raisin-like notes take over and the flavors start to become a bit tart towards the back of the mouth, where things dry up a bit on the finish and balance out the early sweetness nicely. No alcohol taste at all.

A classic example of the style that every beer fan should try at least once or twice. It is not overly rich or sweet and has a nice complex blend of flavors. (892 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +14.3%

I have been harassed for years for turning my nose to dubbels. Don't ask me why. They just didn't sit right with me. Always seemed like the shitty little brother to my lovely quads. Not the juicy quads on these foreign girls that raid my nest, but the herculian brew we all raise a glass to. Those spectacular beverages that push the double digit mark on the ABV scale. For the second time in my life, I have been proven wrong. Avoiding dubbels meant that I was avoiding Westmalle Dubbel, and this beer happens to be one of the most finely tuned brews on God's green earth. The perfect balance. Exceptional taste and mouthfeel. Reminds me of the breasts I had in my mouth this past weekend. This, in turn, reminded me of the third time in my life I had been proven wrong. Right after discovering this special beer, I was approached my a loose-lipped Dutch girl at a hostel I was spending the night in. During conversation, breast size was brought up, and my friend guessed that she was a b-cup. I laughed at the notion that she was a b, since that chest was going nowhere but inward, so leaned closer for further inspection. With the Westmalle Dubbel in one hand, I used my free mitt to size up the specimen. He was right, b-cup. I then finished my Westmalle, and convinced her to fetch more beers. I then went to sleep. She could not trick me into sleeping with her. Since that night, I have realized that when guessing bra size, the b-cup is the go-to cup size. That guess will win you more battles than you lose. There is also such a go-to when it comes to world class beers. This is Westmalle Dubbel. It may not be the people's champ, like the over-hyped c-cup, but it is always the go-to when you need something to bring home. I am now a Dubbel man, and Westmalle is my girl. (1,780 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +17.4%

PRESENTATION: 750mL corked and caged bottle, brown glass. Price: $10.99. Bottled 09/30/10, best by 09/30/12, drank on 10/02/12. The plastic cork is hard as hell to get out of the bottle; I fumbled with it for about 5 minutes, probably bruising my thumbs in the process, and I was sober. Bought from the local package store that hosts beer tastings all the time, and has a massive selection of craft beers and imports. Thank you to Blacklick Wine and Spirits in Columbus, OH.

APPEARANCE: pours nicely in to a large lowball glass (my own choice - I think these styles shine in the straight-sided, wide glasses - dark brown (not black, nowhere near a stout or porter) with strong red ruby highlights when held to the light. Looks like a cola, from what I remember. I don't touch cola, nor anything caffeinated. I stick with alcohol. Darkness hides sediment well.

With a gentle pour, there is little head, but what head is there sticks around. With a vigorous pour, there is a one-and-one-half finger to two-finger head, which dissipates rather quickly while leaving the same ring of head as a gentle pour. It laces the glass decently, but not as well as the Westmalle Tripel I had the other day.

It is quite cloudy from yeast, with a bit of yeast particles congregating or flocculating at the bottom of the glass after the liquid is downed.

SMELL: very nice aroma, a bit boozy, with strong hints - more like already-solved puzzles - of berries, especially blackberry and currant (and red gooseberry and raisin and raspberry[?]). Esters. Like booze-soaked raisins and currants. Almost like a very watered down Sailor Jerry's without the cherry - and I love me some o' the ol' Sailor. It's an excellent smell for the style, but is a little alcoholic, and a bit low on the caramel-like smells that I feel should emanate therefrom; it has no smell of spice which emanates from Rocheforts, and which I have grown to dislike. This smell is almost a five.

MOUTHFEEL: high carbonation for the style, I think (although I've had few Dubbels, and "dark beer" generally is my preference, I've had many Tripels, Belgian Strong Dark and Pale Ales, and Quads), with a somewhat dry astringency on the palate, starting off bubbly, with notes of brut champagne - both in the carbonation and in the flavor itself. It is, according to my preference, a most smooth libation. The carbonation is excellent, but the body is a bit weak in comparison to it; this is a little thinner than I would prefer - although I may be reading too much stout in to this Dubbel - so I subtract 0.5 points.

TASTE: not so much like the aroma. There is no taste of alcohol in this beer - not like the aroma and the 7% ABV would suggest - just an excellent, fruity, brut-champagne-like flavor - that's right, it's fruity without being sweet. Although there seems to be, on some sips, a hint of sweetness, I can't pin it down. There are notable components of yeast, although this yeast lends no "bready" flavor to the beer, contra most other reviewers: I can taste the bread in Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout: I can not taste the bread in this. It is on the rich side for the thin mouthfeel. There is a pronounced, while subtle, grape character: if I did not know otherwise, I would Christen this a "barleywine", as it has more characteristics in common with certain grape-based drinks than any exemplar of that style which hath ever crossed my palate. Not exceedingly complex, but not simple; it is quite drinkable, but not a session beer, although by this point in my review, 5/6 of the way through a 750mL bottle, I'm quite tipsy.

OVERALL, 5/5: I really don't see how this could be improved, even if it's a little low on body and high on carbonation for my tastes, any permutation altering the body and carbonation that I run through in my mind's palate somehow isn't quite as good. This is one of the best beers in the world, to my palate; St Bernardus Abt 12 is easily the best, this being in second place for Belgians, and the top 5 overall.

As a previous reviewer noted, if this is in your glass, this is a special occasion. Drink it daily! I paid $11 for this bottle; it was worth it. I recommend letting it warm for a little before drinking it; my last half-glass out of the bottle was better than my first, which was served around 45ºF or so, maybe 50ºF.

Final verdict: if you haven't had this ale, buy it: it won't let you down. It is more like champagne in consistency and in flavor than any beer I have had otherwise; I'm not a large fan of champagne (I once bought a bottle of Dom Perignon and Moet et Chandon White Star to see if it would make a difference: it didn't), but this isn't a putdown of the beer: it does what champagne could not. (4,717 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured from a bottle into a Westvleteren tulip. Thick two-finger tan head, dissipates to thin lighter tan head, chunky lacing. dark red/brown color. Looks good to me. Aroma is light on the nose. There is sweet/dark fruit, but also the typical crispness. It's not overwhelming, but the smell is fresh and light. Taste is similar to smell, except less sweetness, more dark fruit. IT does have a "nectar" flavor to it, but again overwhelming. Mouthfeel is fresh and crisp, almost like a champagne, with medium carbonation and relative smoothness. Overall I do really like this beer, perhaps more than Westmalle Triple, but certainly not as much as Rochefort 10 or Westvleteren XII. I would definitely get this again. Cheers. (721 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance: It has a nice dark mahogany color to it. It has a nice off-white head that dies down moderately and leaves nice lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitly give out hints of dark fruit (plums, grapes, raisins), yeast, caramel and some spiciness.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a nice sweet fruity character giving out notes of grapes, raisins and plums, nice spiciness, some Beligian yeast and some caramel.

Mouthfeel: It has a medium carbonation with a nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with good flavors and aromas. (584 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%

Bought a couple 330 mL bottles of the venerable Westmalle Dubbel at the Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont, MA on Sunday for the Patriots game. Glad I'm finally getting around to reviewing this beer–it's one of my all-time favorites. I decanted the bottle into my trusty Dogfish Head snifter. Review is from notes.

Appearance (5/5): Westmalle Dubbel's appearance is textbook Belgian Abbey Ale...this is the blueprint: dark chocolate brown brown with deep red highlights, opaque with some yeast particles hanging in suspension, and topped with a luxuriant two-finger head of pillowy, light tan foam. Its head of foam retains exceptionally well and reduces gradually to a 1/8" tall ring of foam. Beautiful.

Smell (5/5): One word: pungent. An incredibly fruity character, reminiscent to booze-soaked raisins or blackberries, rises from the glass. This strong–though not sugary sweet–fruitiness is no doubt imparted by the Westmalle brewery's extraordinary proprietary yeast (it flexes even more in Westmalle's Tripel ale). There's some light booze in the scent, and some woody characteristics as well.

Taste (4.5/5): Westmalle Dubbel is, as one can easily guess from the aroma, a very fruity and rich tasting beer. Some dark bready notes come on in the foretaste before blooming into dark fruit flavors of blackberry, raisin, and ripe plums. Complex and refined. Strongly yeasty, a little woody, and none of the alcohol hinted at in the smell to be found. The taste is rich without over-the-top.

Mouthfeel (4/5): Westmalle Dubbel is smooth and quite drinkable for a dark Belgian Abbey-style ale. It is also quite dry in the finish, something out of the ordinary for a beer of its style and something that I found to be nice (others have found this characteristic a little off-putting; I guess I'm a sucker for dry finishers). I must criticize Westmalle Dubbel's lack of body, however. It should, in my humble opinion, be a little fuller. This is a huge knock on the beer, overall, but a slightly fuller body would certainly give it a better mouthfeel.

Overall (4.5/5): Westmalle Dubbel is one extremely tasty beer. It packs a ton of great yeasty, fruity flavor into a relatively low ABV package (for the style). Despite being a bit flawed, it's one of the classics of the beer world, and it is a special occasion whenever it's in the glass you're holding. Superb! (2,369 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A 330ml bottle with a BB of July 2012, so it's a little out of date. Picked up on a trip to Belgium in September 2010, and stored in my garage. I hope it has aged OK.

Poured into a Delirium chalice. A deep brown with ruby highlights and strong carbonation. Plenty of yeast sediment dives into the glass and clouds the body (that's what I get for leaving it so long). Yields a large head of creamy off-white foam with good retention; this lasts for a while before reducing to a thick surface layer. Aroma of rich, dark malt with notes of brown sugar, caramel, raisins, dried fruit, herbs and stewed leaves. A harsh, dry quality persists in the background, along with a solventy whiff of booze and phenolics.

Tastes of rich, dark malt with a fruity character and a dry finish. Slightly sweet. Notes of dried fruit, raisins, brown sugar, caramel, grain, faint yeast and stewed hops. Rather dry, with an astringent herbal bitterness upon swallowing. A solventy, phenolic character lurks in the background, along with a stale hint of cardboard. Mouthfeel is smooth and tingly, bordering on spicy, but the body seems a tad insubstantial for the style. Quite astringent, with an aftertaste of fruity malt and stewed leaves.

Hmmm - not sure about this one. Perhaps I let it get too old? The sweet, fruity character that I would expect from a dubbel is present, but seems muted. The stewed hop/cardboard notes, on the other hand, are excessive and taint the flavour. The phenolic/alcohol hints also seem disproportionate. I'm not loving it, but I suspect it's gone stale and/or oxidised. I'll try and re-review when I get my hands on a fresher example. (1,646 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle from Tipple's in Gainesville. Pours a deep purple brown with a one finger off white head. Aroma of figs, raisins, spice, yeast. Flavor follows with big fig and raisin flavors, some light pears, spicy yeast, sweet brown sugar. Medium to light mouthfeel, medium high carbonation, with a slightly dry finish. Lingering sweet dark fruit on the palate. Only complaint is that I'd like a little more body on this one. Very nice beer! (434 characters)

Pours a cloudy brown color, with a small but dense off-white head that fades very slowly and leaves thick lacing on the glass as it recedes.

The aromas begin with toasted biscuity maltiness with emerging notes of dark fruits, caramel and brown sugar. As it warms the spices from the Belgian yeast become more predominant.

The tastes begin with malty and complex flavors of caramel, dark candied/caramelized brown sugar and dark prunes and fig fruit. Once again the spices from the Belgian yeast emerge as it warms. There is a mild but complimentary hops presence that provides a good balance which I didn't notice in the aroma.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. Finish is dry and yet slightly chewy from the doughy yeast and bready malts.

Overall this is another classic example of a Belgian dubbel. Not my favorite or the best example from Belgiam if you want my opinion, but tasty, not too filling and readily available. Not as good as the tripel but close. (985 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +3.1%

330ml bottle poured into a goblet. Best before 13/10/13.

A: Had to slow my roll with this pour to ensure that I got some actual beer. Dark brown body sits beneath a pillowy two-finger head.

S: Oh yeah...wonderful. Caramel, dark fruit (raisin, plum, fig), light fruit (mostly pear and apple). There’s also a solvent characteristic. Each swirl of the glass gives off more effervescent aromas.

T: Like candy. Dominated by really nice dark fruits...mostly plum but also red grape stands out. Esters and bready notes from the yeast also major players. Caramel wasn’t as prominent as other dubbels I’ve had. Finishes with a pleasant tannic dryness.

M: High drinkability just for the fact that I kept wanting more despite its complexity. A velvet creamy beer with soft carbonation.

O: Completely satisfying. To be honest, this is beyond my palate but I did my best. I used to avoid dubbels but it has rapidly become one of my favorite styles. I don’t know if I was drinking the wrong ones or just not paying attention, but I plan to investigate further. (1,063 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +8%

Not sure how I missed reviewing this one over the years but there is always a good time for a Westmalle Dubbel!

A- Poured into a stemware tulip with a dark brown body. A light tan head forms to a massive size with a foamy texture. Retention is good but it eventually ends up as a bubbly ring with a big cloud in the middle of the beer. Just a few small spots of lace.

S- The glass helps capture a strong yet balanced aroma. Yeast forward with some notes of malts. Belgian spice forward with some slightly phenolic dark fruit and brown nutty malts to balance.

T- I wouldn't call the flavor abrasive but it has that edge that I love in stronger, yeasty Belgian ales. Like the aroma, the flavor is yeasty with dark fruits, raisins, figs, apple, spice and some phenolic qualities. Nutty malts, molasses and brown sugary hints make up a bulk of the remaining flavor. Very slight clove and banana quality.

MF- Carbonation has a nice bite to it at first but goes down rather smoothly in the end. The feel overall is creamy with a nice warmth from the alcohol.

With warmth and each sip, this one just opens up so nicely which I find is the case with great beers. Amazing example of the style and what I look for from a strong yeast Belgian beer. Has that nice edge but doesn't kill you with spice, esters and alcohol. (1,314 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a deep amber color with a firm, frothy tan head that remains throughout the beer.

The scent is full of sweet caramel malt with notes of sweet fruit as well.

The taste is also of sweet caramel malts, some banana and notes of apple. There is also a peppery alcohol presence toward the end.

Medium body, smooth, but prickly, moderate carbonation.

This was a very tasty beer, very nice flavor and easy to drink. (420 characters)

Drunken from a mighty Westmalle goblet glass.

A: Dark ruby red. Head dissipates.

S: (Can't read my scribbles for this).

T: Slightly smokey. Pipe tobacco and cut grass at the back - simple though. Light molasses. Light on sugar. Nice alcoholic flavour. Fizzy and light.

O: Pretty boring. Maybe I don't like dubbels. I think the Westmalle goblet is too domineering for this light tipple. (389 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

Consumed 8/8/12

Appearance: Hazy, dark amber/brown with some ruby highlights - starts with a large, creamy, beige head - leaves streaks of lacing, retains a nice cap indefinitely

Smell: Malty, fruity, and Belgian - cooked, lightly caramelized malts, bread, and toffee - molasses and candi sugar - dark fruits, such as raisins and figs - spicy Belgian yeast, with some clove and bubblegum - some phenols

Taste: More potent than the already-nice aroma - chewy malts, with some caramel, molasses, dark bread, and cooked grains - dark fruit, mostly raisins and figs - spicier than average Belgian yeast, with some light banana esters and clove - candi sugar and some slight alcohol

Mouthfeel: Smooth, nicely carbonated, medium body, with a slight alcohol edge

Overall: Transcends the style

This was the first Belgian Dubbel I ever had, and I loved it so much that I spent months seeking out other, highly-rated Dubbels. But in the last four years, I have yet to find a Dubbel that I like more than this. It's not mind-blowing, but it's nearly perfect for what it is. This is always a treat. (1,092 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -4.6%

Review from 9/2010 notes. Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a dark brown/orange amber. Healthy light brown head and slight lacing. Sweet malt aroma. Mild sweet malt flavor fades to dryer almost coffee taste. Slight dark fruits and dry spiciness. A pleasant taste, but subdued. Not as noteworthy as the tripel. (315 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%

11.2oz bottle, dated 07/11/09
Pours deep brown with a foamy beige head, decent retention and falls to a foam atop the ale. Not much for lacing on the glass, and the ale does have quite a bit of particulate matter floating about. Aromas are dark fruit, malty, Belgian yeast, faint booze, brown sugar. Tastes are sweet, malty, brown sugar, ripe dark fruit, plum, raisin, cinnamon, apple, banana. Mouth-feel is creamy and smooth, on the thinner side of medium. Finishes spicy with the alcohol somewhat hot, but warming as it goes down. Overall, excellent example of the style, exceptional quality, and even though this one was 3 years old, it's still in great condition. I love that about Belgian ales. (699 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

330ml bottle poured into a 16oz goblet.

A - Pours a very nice deep ruby-mahogany hue, with a big fluffy head of creamy foam. The head settles to a dense creamy cap that leaves sticky chunks of lace down the glass. Looks excellent.

S - Smells excellent. Sweet cola syrup and candi sugar with raisins, figs and dried plums. Some cherry and cranberry notes as well, which I really enjoy. The yeast is very prominent, with spicy and bready notes abound. Deep, complex and fruity, exactly what I like in a good dubbel. Just a touch of rich boozy sweetness, but in the best kind of way.

T - Opens up with lots of bready malt and spicy yeast notes. Lots of sweetness coming from the candi sugar. Some cola syrup and molasses as well. Finishes with lots of fruitiness, but more cherry and cranberry than I'm used to. Figs and raisins are still clearly pronounced, as well as a great plum character. Earthy hops linger ever so slightly with subtle notes of sweet alcohol, dark chocolate, and some caramelized sugar. The balance between the flavors here is remarkable. Every piece of this flavor profile comes together as a seamless, complex, and drinkable treat. I could go on about the flavors of this beer all day.

M - Smooth and creamy, with a fine carbonation the compliments the body perfectly. Bittering aftertaste is minimal but present. Very good.

D - Worlds apart from the Westmalle Tripel, which was one of the most disappointing tripels I've ever tried. This one the other hand, after many dubbels, quads, and BSDAs, still stands out as a remarkable beer. A truly classic Trappist beer that should stand as a benchmark for what this style should be; deep, rich, and complex. (1,682 characters)

1399th Review on BA
Bottle to Chimay Goblet
11.2oz

Best by 13/10/13
Purchased at Bevmo Chino Hills, CA for $5.49

App- It's a classic dubbel in look. Has a dark ruby color with a fluffy off white one finger head that receded to a pond layer and didnt leave any cling.

Smell- Pretty standard nose on this. A little bit more yeast than others with the sugar, raisin, chocolate and plums.

Taste- For some reason I got a bit of dish soap on this one. Wasnt bad, just could be the bubbles. A lot of raisins with caramel and bitter chocolate.

Mouth- A lighter medium body with a medium light bubbly yeasty carbonation. Residual malts and raisins.

Drink- It's a good dubbel. Nice flavors, a little compact in places. One of the better dubbels but still doesnt wow me. (765 characters)

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel opens with a light Belgian-type nose, bananas and cloves drifting up lazily. But these are joined by strong touches of wet wheat fields, floury baguettes, straw, and toast crust, the bready flavors almost outclassing the fruits and spices. Some hints of orange and apricot underpin the breads, mixed with a smidgen of fig and molasses, and light grapefruit, lemon, and rose hips speak to hops. As a whole, the nose is good, but quite light and effervescent. The fresh grain notes take up much of the profile, but enough fruits and sugars come through to provide for a balanced aroma. A bit heavier nose would have made for a more enticing introduction.

On the tongue, the beer opens with a dash of Flemish sour, touches of fermented apple cider hitting first, but dying off quickly and replaced by darker sugars, including fig, cherry, orange, berry, and sparkling white grape. Brown sugar and caramel provide a candy-like coating to the fruits, resting atop a bed of brown bread, toast crust, and wheat stalks. A sprinkling of lemon and grapefruit from the hops adds a bit of pizzazz. Late in the mouthful, as the sugars die off, the beer becomes largely grain-based, this slightly marred by staleness and the taste of hay. The aftertaste is a continuation of the grain flavors, with touches of berry and fruit, as well as more grapefruit and lemon, and lingers for a good while. Mouthfeel is medium, and carbonation is medium-high, fizzing and slightly burning the soft tissues.

Overall, this is good fare, but suffers from a lack of any extraordinary characteristic to set it apart from its peers. The flavors here are good, but the beer feels like it needed more of something--sugars would be a good place to start--to bring out a lovely bouquet. The slight staleness to the latter half of the mouthful and aftertaste is also unsettling. It’s still a good Trappist ale, but simply needed to be more awe-inspiring. (1,947 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +10.9%

Well since Azzurri looks like pure hell in the first half of the European Championships 2012, Im drinking. alot.

Very murky brown with a tan colored head. Loads of bubbles feeding what is a decent head. Just like Rochefort 8, loads of boozy cherries, but even more in this one. Just as much prunes and figs as well. I like how this smells.

More grains than Rochefort, but not as much as Westvleteren.This is much more slick than the others, with a nice prune and cherry sweetness. Carbonation really makes the flavors pop and disappear. Finishes exceptionally clean and smooth. (579 characters)

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle