Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros
3.66/5  rDev -12.2%

I was hoping for more from this beer. It certainly looks good. It pours a nice slighly hazy mahogany color with a nice creamy, slighlty foamy off white head. The beer laces like crazy. The nose is very Belgiany with candied sugars, sweet malty caramels, plenty of fruity esters.

The taste is just too coarse and prickly for my preference. I was hoping for a slightly smoother beer, but alas no. The yeasts really add a harshness that takes away the candied sugars, and Belgiany malts that I was looking forward to. The slighly burnt, coarse, prickly, banana and the slightly boozy pineapple flavors just don't blend all that well. The beer has a harsh cardamon spiciness that doesnt' play nice either. Where's the nice caramel malts, where's the candied sugars, where's the star anise? The beer settles in a bit as it warms and that helps. I'm still a bit disappointed with this beer.

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

poured into a tulip.

A- pours a dark ruby, with about 2 inches of thick fluffy head, that slowly dies down, lots of lacing.

S- sweet and spicy, whole bunch of pepper, clove, maybe a little cinnamon, also can smell a bit of alcohol mingling around in there too. nice!

T- first up you get the spice, again a bit peppery, a little bit of clove, and there's a touch of sweetness in there too. some yeastiness comes through pretty strongly on warming up.

M- very full and creamy, but then a prickly carbonation comes through, and the spicy end. Dry's the mouth out a tad at the end, but the spicyness lasts for a while.

D- given the full flavours and thicker creamy feel this one is suprisingly easy to drink, although best enjoyed as a slow sipper to allow all the flavours to come through and develop.

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%

The beer pours a beautiful dark amber in color with a 2 finger tan head that slowly fades to a small ring. The aroma is a lot simpler than I would have expected. There is dark fruit (cherries, plum), sweet malt and a bit of spice. Having had overly sweet and pungent dubbles recently this one really goes in a different direction. The flavor is very dry with a strong bready character. There are some spices here and there along with an unexpected tartness. I can pick up some cherries, apples, and plumbs in the flavor. The body is solid with subtle carbonation.

This is nothing at all what I thought it would be. This is such a breath of fresh air to go back to the basics to realize what makes a classic dubbel. The dry finish keeps me coming back for sip after sip. I'll be sure to pick up more of these in the future.

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

Westmalle Dubbel has a cloudy dark amber colour and an excellent head due to the excellent carbonation. The smell is nice: citrus and hops. The flavour is similar. You get citrus upfront into slightly bitter orange rind and hops. This beer is foamy and thick in the mouth. Nice, but not the best of this style.

4.12/5  rDev -1.2%

Aah ! Trappist beers... the secrets and the cult behind every bottle...I heard Monks are the ones making the beer for their own consumption and for the community...Come on, really ? There's just no way Cistercian Monks are responsable for the massive production of Westmalle beers. The word on the street is that laities (professional Brewers) are the ones making the beer under monks supervision so they can reach production needs. I mean Westmalle is so big in Belgium, you can find it easier than Leffe ! Still is a good beer though.

So here I am again back from work and drinking beer and tonight I chose Westmalle. Poured in a trappist chalice glasse with a good healthy looking 1 centimeter head, this is a dark brown beer. A few bubbles rushing to the head and alot of sendiments du to the bottle fermentation.
This beer smells delicious. I get dried prunes and figs, notes of caramel and cardamom.

Before having a sip I think you should let it rest in the glasse for a few minutes and let some of the carbonation disband, this will help you appreciate the taste rather then having it hidden by to much carbonation.
This Westmalle dubbel is quite sweet at first but then you get the roasted grain bitterness that kicks in just right, my bottle has a good year of aging so I get a sort of rusty metalic taste on the tip of the tongue.
This is a good beer but not my favorite Trappistenbier.

Cheers lads

WS

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark red/brown with a massive off-white head of pillowy and tight bubbles. The head just sits there, it doesn't recedes for a few minutes and when it does it leaves heavy lacing on the glass.

Aroma is dark, rich fruits such as figs, raisins and blackberries, dark and burnt caramels, mild spice and herbal qualities and a very mild alcohol presence.

Flavor is not what I expected from my previous encounters with Dubbel. Overall it is brighter than I expected with a mild tartness on the finish. It does follow the nose a bit with sweet malts, bread, dark caramel, lots of fruitiness as peaches, berries, figs and some mild citrus. Toward the finish there is a mild tartness that cuts through the overall sweetness. Lingering flavors are cherries, plums, peaches and caramel.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with high carbonation.

Overall this beer is very easy to drink and has a wonderful complexity. I can't wait to drink this again.

4.55/5  rDev +9.1%

I had Westmalle on tap in Belgium several years ago, but am trying and reviewing a bottled version.

Poured from a bottle into a chalice.

Pours a deep, dark reddish-brown color with a subtle off-white head with good retention. Leaves a pleasing amount of lacing.

The smell is all Belgium. Malty and spicy. The taste follows suit. I'm picking up some fruity flavors...apricots and pears as well as some spices...cloves maybe? Regardless, this beer tastes great. It's well balanced and the carbonation holds through the serving producing an enjoyable drinking experience.

At 7% abv, you can definitely enjoy a few of these in a sitting. All in all, an exceptional world class beer that can drank and enjoyed over and over again.

4.23/5  rDev +1.4%

A deep brown with garnet hi lights. A big foamy head like merange and appears to be nicely carbonated.
Sweet malt with a nice fruitiness about it.
Sweet malt taste like the aroma, with candied sugar, plums and dates. I'm not picking up much in way of hops. Bitter at end with a dry finish.
Body wise I thought it felt a little thin around the edges but I'm not overly concerned.
A very good tasting beer that gains in flavor as it warms. Nice lacing from the always present head.
Cellar worthy
I deem this beer good to the last drop.
Drink well my friends.

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

Sample 1 of my tour of dubbels

330ml bottle

App: Dark brown with some ruby that is completely opaque. Huge frothy head.

Smell: Caramel, dark honey and berries, chocolate, and a touch of licorice.

Taste: Certainly something good going on here. Not overwhelming, but firm and full. Strong carbonation does cover some of the flavors present, but the taste is still good. Some fruitiness, some toast and husk. Ends dry and herbal, but a bit of the tobacco flavor I do not love.

Full body from the strong, tight carbonation. A bit rough going down. I do love high carbonation, but this stuff is intense.

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured into a chalice with a dark brown, almost maroon, hue with a tight but small head. I made the mistake of cooling this one too much - it is definitely under the 45-50 degree recommended serving temperature, so I warmed it by holding the glass for a while. The smell is sweet, but not "sugary", if that makes any sense. The smell is not overwhelming, quite subtle, actually, with hints of ripe figs and dates.

This tastes, as expected, like a dubbel, with a slightly smokey or peaty finish that betrays its sweet scent. The 7% ABV remains well hidden, with the exception of a slight alcohol bite on the finish as it warms up. It's solid, yet doesn't quite measure up to my favorite dubbel, St. Bernardous Pater 6.

4.13/5  rDev -1%

A - Dark brown pour with two fingers of light tan head that dissipates fairly quickly. There is a lot of carbonation, pouring it into a glass causes quite a bit of foam. The beer looks a dark brown, reddish nearly maroon in the light.

S - Belgian smelling, with hints of fruit. Very little or no smell of alcohol, which isn't surprising at 7% ABV. The fruits are very particular. Maybe some bananas, apricots, or something I can't place.

T - Delicious taste. As it's cold, the flavors are not very exposed. This beer really develops as time goes on. As it warms up, the flavors really begin to be exposed though. The Belgian flavors begin to expose themselves.

M - The mouthfeel at the beginning of the beer is very carbonated, but as the beer warms, the head dissipates and the mouthfeel becomes less aggressive and the carbonation bubbles become smaller.

D - Drinkability is this beer's forte. With only 7% ABV, I could see myself knocking back several of these. However, at $7/bottle I couldn't see drinking more than one at a time.

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my third time drinking Westmalle Trappist Dubbel.

A - This murky reddish-brown Trappist Dubbel pours with a huge, meringue-like head that leaves lots of scattered, tan lacing and collapses very slowly. Very appealing. There's some serious yeast sediment present in the second pour and I'm OK with that.

S - Dessert in a bottle. Very sweet smelling.

T - You may not like your first sip. Or your second. I can't explain it, but my taste buds had to adjust to this. The taste is not as sweet as the smell. The taste improves tremendously as I work my way through the second pour.

M - A bit astringent, which seems to accentuate the hops. It's just subtle enough that it is soon overcome by the excellent overall flavor of this Belgian ale.

D - I just finished my first and I want another, if that tells you anything. But at $7 a bottle, I only bought one. :-(

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

Had a bottle for $7 at the Steelgarden in Bethlehem, served in a goblet. I've been reading about Belgians lately, so this really hit the spot. It was almost wine-like for it's relatively thin body, bitter spices and smooth (but hardly sweet) fruit. There was a rummy raisin-grape character up front with a peppery, and surprisingly bitter finish. The middle of the flavor was light, with almost a sort of strawberries and cream taste. Very interesting, very tasty. An absolute classic.

3.66/5  rDev -12.2%

I foud the Westmalle dubbel to be abit atypical for a dubbel. A noticable roasty-ness dominates the taste, the plumy-ness that I typically love was undetectable and the body seemed a little thin. While the Westmalle dubbel didn't really met my preconceived expectations of a dubbel it was still a very enjoyable beer.

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

330ml bottle poured into tulip oct27 2010

A murky dark reddish brown with a big loose tan head that hangs around for quite a while leaving a few big patches of lace

S a little banana, yeast, dark fruit, some spice,and a little sweetness

T what I smell but with brown sugar, rye bread and some caramel and raisin, pretty nice tasting brew has a little licorice as it warms

M foams up in the mouth but it seems to thicken it up quite a bit

D a solid well rounded that's fairly complex and I could have a few without getting board or walking sideways

I was a little surprised I've never reviewed this one because I've had it several times before and will be having it again

3.8/5  rDev -8.9%

A classic and reliable Trappist offering.

Presentation: 0,33 l brown capped bottle. Romboid brown/dark burgundy label with logo and name of the brew, alongside Trappist denomination. Back with perfunctory legal notes, Trappist certification, and serving notes. Shows best before date (01/09/11), and Alc. by Vol. (7%) Served in a Westmalle chalice.

A - Murky amber/brown pour, with a generous head, medium retention, fair surface memory and some lacing.

S - Fruity and yeasty, malt is there, a bit shy.

T - Soft malty sense, tamed sweet sense leaning on a fruity quality around the yeast more so than the caramel/chocolate that is there but barely. The fruity and yeasty sense predominates as it flows woven with the malt.

M - Medium body with a medium to generous carbonation and a smooth finish.

D - Nice flow, it does not drive me crazy but it quality through and through, and quite recommendable.

Notes: Another iconic and reliable Trappist offering. Maybe it is a touch too tepid but is quality throughout and always worth holding.

3.36/5  rDev -19.4%

Had this one fresh on-tap, wasn't that impressed. Maybe a bit too soft for me, or too fresh, no pronounced flavors or aromas to me, not remarkable. Will pass final judgement when I get one from a bottle. I've noticed I like bottles more than tap at the moment...

4.23/5  rDev +1.4%

This beer poored with a good frothy headand had some nice sweet aromas. Flavors of banana and sweet malt were good and made this beer enjoyable. Had some yeast hints on the body of this beer which was nice and rich. This beer overall was a good dubbel and would drink it again.

4.12/5  rDev -1.2%

1PT 9.4 fl oz. bottle / Tulip glass.

A: Dark brown with a quickly fading light beige head. No lacing to speak of.

S: Smell of molasses, raisins, figs, and malt dominate immediately. I also get quite a bit of Sherry as it warms up.

T: Sweet malt and raisins come to mind when I first sipped it; I do get a lot of sweet Sherry and some tartness in the back.

M: Medium bodied with some fizz, not much. In the middle it feels a bit dry, however in the back palate it feels smooth and very inviting.

D: This a very nice drinkable Trapist beer, primarily because of its flavor, but definitely the modest ABV at (7%) makes it somewhat of a sessionable Belgian ale, for this style.

Bake some Virgina ham and I can drink a ton of this guys for the holidays!!

Salud!!

3.88/5  rDev -7%

Yesterday is was in Antwerp with Mrs. Brabander. We went the the Groenmarkt and there on one of the terasses of a bar i drank this one.

It was a very nice day and the Groenmarkt was crowded with people.

Poured in the Westmalle glass the beer looks good. Not very much head. Soft and sweet smell with little carbonation. Burned malts.

I am a huge fan of the triple Westmalle, the darker brother is ok also!

4.76/5  rDev +14.1%

Had this tasty Trappist on tap in Brussels and also get it bottled in NJ. In either case, it is one of my favorite beers. From the taste to the appearance, I love this beer. Smooth and very drinkable, not very strong but not weak either (the perfect medium). Highly recommended!

4.56/5  rDev +9.4%

A wonderfully dark reddish/brown body sits like a shy kid in the corner, refraining from any attention underneath the massive and menacing head. This head yell's to me "hear I am! look at me! I won't stop growing"

Aroma is spicy, full of nutmeg and cloves and complimented by a nice malty caramel sweetness with a bit of dark fruit mixed in.

Wow, what a wonderful mix of flavors. This beer features a nice offering of sweet fruity and yeasty spice flavors which a slightly off-set by and ever-so light hop flavor. Very deep and complex, but it all works out so well.

Mouthfeel is a bit heavy but with this much flavor, it works out well. Overall, this beer is one of the best representations of this style. Truly a classic Dubbel.

poured into pint glass.

A.

A very murky dark brown with a huge amount of head. mainly because I had this in my bag while I traveled and drank within 15 min. Beer practically flowed outta the bottle when I cracked it open.

S.

your typical dark fruits. some brown sugar and subtle alcohol smell as well. very good.

T.

some sweet malts. the dark fruits aren't very prevalent in the taste for me but a little sweetness is in there which is nice. a slight bitterness as well. There is a nice yeast taste in there as well. not the best trappist beer I've had, but still good.

M.

about medium bodied. I would prefer something a little thicker. a huge amount of carbonation. very smooth going down with a little creaminess in there.

D.

easily accessible by me and a good tasting beer. I would definitely try more of these in the future, with different glasses, temperatures, etc. alcohol high but not TOO high. I've tasted better and would opt for something like a Rochefort, but this is still a great beer.

4.52/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a Russian River Tulip. Paid $5.69 in San Diego for 11.2 ounces.

Pours a deep, rusty brown with a large, creamy head about two fingers in height. Some floaties are visible through the haze.

Smell: I'm getting leather, some sweetness, perhaps a mix of caramel and banana; maybe a touch of mango. Also hints of wet sand at a beach; perhaps wet concrete. Alcohol is trying hard to escape the grasp of the mahogany beverage but without much success.

The taste is smooth and full. More of the smell but now with toasted grains and some very slight hops. Splashes of plum, date and fig. Between drinks I have a slightly bitter taste in the corners of my mouth which slowly vanishes.

The dubbel is very drinkable but the mouth-feel is a bit too light for me. Still, an outstanding product from Westmalle. I would drink this again.

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a very clear amber body with two fingers of creamy tan head that held nicely and left beautiful lacing on the glass. Tiny bubbles can be seen rising to the surface from the bottom of the glass and there is an audible crackling of bubbles breaking on the surface.

S - Aroma of dark fruits (plums, raisons, figs), spices, yeast, and a hint of sweetness.

T - Taste dark fruits, brown sugar, yeast, a light malt flavor, wine-like sweetness and spices typical of belgian brews.

F/D - Fairly carbonated which brings out the full flavor of the dark fruits. A full, deliciously rich feel. Trappists like this make me realize why I love beer.

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle