Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,372 | Reviews: 1,148
4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from 750mL bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: rich, deep hazy brown; tawny around the edges with two fingers of tan head which seem to dissipate rather rapidly. A good-lookin' beer, to be sure.

Smell: rich dubbel aromas of figs, cherries, plums and dates. There's also a mustiness to the aroma which I must say I rather like.

Taste: boom! There's a reason I went out to buy Belgians this evening. Sweet, lustrous malt flavor with hints of the aromas listed above, but nothing is overpowering. There's also a little bit of chocolate in there which is working for me. Capital.

Mouthfeel: silky and creamy in texture. Body is medium in density but the overall feel is quite nice.

Drinkability: I'm finding myself liking dubbels more and more. This one is extremely quaffable and I might get myself into trouble tonight.

Looking on the back, I see two dates: 9/19/2007 and 9/19/2009. I'm guessing that these are the bottled-on and best-by dates? Not sure, but if that's the case then we're getting up on 10 months past its best date. It's still a damn good beer, though!

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured from a 33cL bottle into a Rochefort goblet.

A: Dark mahogany brown-red, opaque, many bubble trails. A thick, rich, chunky head. Some lacing.

S: Not particularly notable. Unexpected hop aroma with gentle malts and maybe a touch of alcohol.

T: Surprisingly light, carbonated, and hoppy. Mild nutty, malty flavour mixes with spicy hops. Very well balanced, such that the aftertaste is a nearly neutral combination of both flavours. Yummy!

M: Very stimulating. Light, somewhat chewy, with exciting carbonation and enjoyable spiced notes.

D: Unusually accessible and drinkable for a Trappist beer. Relatively light at 7% and quite pleasant. Not my favourite flavour-wise, but a solid choice and a beer I could drink lots of.

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

A dark brown hazy liquid with a massive head wich slowly fades to leave some very nice lacing. This beer looks mysteriously inviting to me...

The first thing that hits my nose is a crispy tone of wet grass, then citrus and yeast. Hay, and caramel malts comes to my mind as well.

The taste is even more crispy that the smell suggested. The citrus and grass comes first, along with some apples and bitterness of lemon peel. Then comes the heavier tastes; roasted malts, yeast, figs.

A very well balanced beer. Big bubbles as one would expect, very smooth and warm feeling. Calmness...

After drinking almost nothing but american IPAs for the last year this was the perfect reminder why belgians were the ones who got me into craft beer.

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

Attractive darkish brown with a thick and persistent head the size of a planet. Smells basically kind of yeasty.

Taste is initially unassuming, but after a bit one notices how perfectly balanced it is. A belgian yeast taste is clear, but not excessive. There are hints of dark fruits, enough to give it a somewhat fruity character, but it's not sweet, indeed, it's kind of dry, with a very slightly tart finish, and a hint of woodiness (barrel aging?) and bitterness (hops? I dunno). It gets more and more interesting as you drink (and the beer warms, probably).

The mouthfeel is very slightly thick, but still refreshing; the carbonation is clearly enough to give it that massive head, but it doesn't taste sparkly.

After my first sip I thought "is that it?" (it is kind of famous after all), but as I drank, I began to notice interesting flavors, and I was soon thinking "oh yeah..." All the while, it remained refreshing and went down super easy.

A very nice and subtle beer. Deserves the high rating I think.

4.38/5  rDev +5%

330ml into a tulip pours a dark unexciting brown. Magnificent dense tan head recedes leaving great lacing - as it recedes it reminds me of the head on a root beer float!

Malts prominent, figs, bananas and yeast - no sense of alcohol.

Classic (of course) dubbel taste. Not too sweet, mild bitterness. The aftertaste lingers but is mild. Thin mouth feel. Flavor warms well.

I think I may subconsciously rate Trappist brews a little higher than I would otherwise simply because the thought of monks brewing beer is just so cool. This is indeed good!
cheers
jd

3.96/5  rDev -5%

2005 vintage, served in Duvel tulip.

A: Three fingers of luxurious head atop a dark chestnut body. Slightly cloudy. Head retention is good.

S: Yeast and yeast byproducts. Mostly sweetness in the aroma. Maybe due to age, but the aroma is very basic.

T: Vanilla and sweet fruit. Cherries. Slightly spicy. Red grape juice. A little bit of anise. Drying finish. Quite complex.

M: Soft, creamy, with near perfect carbonation.

D: Interesting enough to keep coming back. Nothing offensive that would prevent having more than one.

Very nice. Just slightly mellower than fresh. Other than some oxidation, I don't feel like this beer has evolved all that much in 5 years. It is amazing beer to begin with, so I don't see much benefit it laying it down. I will say that even @ 5 years I feel like it could go at least several more.

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

I got this beer on accident when I ordered the Tripple. It was a little disappointing, considering the A rating. Flavor is good, but not terribly complex. If you like the Bernardus, you might like this one, but there are better Belgian ales, in my opinion.

3.96/5  rDev -5%

A: Pours a dark brown with a three-finger tan head that stuck around for most of the drink. Nice lacing.

S: Malt with some Belgian sugar and yeast. Very subdued.

T: The front and center are fairly malty, while the finish is slightly peppery and remarkably dry. The overtones change from sip to sip, ranging from brown sugar to raisins to figs and perhaps a bit of apple. The sweetness overall is well balanced, unlike some of the American versions of dubbels.

M: Medium body with very creamy carbonation. The alcohol is very well integrated.

D: Great beat, easy to dance to; I'd give it a ... oh, wait, wrong channel. This is a quintessence of a dubbel. Have one.

3.6/5  rDev -13.7%

A: Dark amber colour with stable head.

S: Bitter strong caramel/sugar aroma.

T: Starts with smooth taste of dark fruits, apple, bananas following with sweet chocolate taste with oranges.

M: Heavy body with medium carbonation, long lasting after taste.

D: One of Belgian classic, very good for dinner.

3.1/5  rDev -25.7%

Pours a murky brown with some orange highlights. 1 finger cream colored head.

I immediatly smell clove, nutmeg, banana. There are also some dark fruits and some raisins.

The taste seems pretty spicy. I am getting mostly bready and caramelly malts along with a lot of clove, nutmeg, banana, gingerbread. Seems to have a dry finish with a lot of clove.

Mouthfeel is thin with some medium to high carbonation

The alcohol is nicely hidden but, the spiciness and the breadiness make me not want to drink more than a few ounces. I can think of a few dubbels I would rather drink instead.

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

A - Dark, slightly cloudy, ruby color with a good sized foamy toasted marshmallow colored head. Average retention and a thin layer of patchy lacing left.

S - A lot of dried dark cherry and raisin along with some other dark fruit. Some juicy apple and a bit of citrus. Good amount of caramel and dark malt aroma. Pretty sweet with a slight fruity tartness, particularly from the dark cherry.

T - Starts with some dark and a bit of a bready taste of malt. Hints of caramel and very slight chocolate flavor. Some dark fruit comes out on top of this with plum and raisin being strongest. Some raisin and citrus accompanies these and some spice, cinnamon and nutmeg being the strongest. A slightly sweet and tart and juicy finish.

M - Medium body with just a bit more than average carbonation. Pretty smooth and creamy.

D - Very drinkable, with a variety of flavors that are well balanced. Juicy and pretty refreshing, and I would gladly have another.

Notes: Best before 23/09/11. A very solid beer and good example of the style. Quite a bit of dark fruit, with a nice dark malt base. Very drinkable and an enjoyable flavor, but it just didn't really blow me away or really distinguish itself as a world class beer. It is certainly worth getting and a very good beer though, and I would happily drink it again.

3.49/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured from a best before 04/14/11 11.2 oz bottle into a Chimay chalice.
A- Poured dark brown/red color. One previous reviewer mentioned garnet and I guess that is pretty close, all though I felt it was a bit more on the brown side. Two finger brown head that quickly died down. Nice active carbonation around the edge of the glass.

S- Very light. Bread when I opened the bottle. Faint raisin and alcohol.

T- Starts off with a really subdued, almost hidden sweetness followed by mild hops with a bready, faintly citrus aftertaste. I kept getting a sour/vinegar taste and smell which was slightly off-putting, but not enough for me to stop drinking. The bread was the most distinct note out of the range of flavors to me, but I would not say it dominated.

M- Nice medium body with incredibly active small bubbled carbonation. Creamy too, which was nice. Maybe a hint of dryness, but overall I did not notice this in the beer much. The carbonation was what stood out to me most; in a pleasant way.

D- I split the small bottle with someone which left me wanting more of this. I liked it, but I was expecting something a bit more flavorful. Well balanced, though. I dropped the drinkability a bit because of the vinegar taste I detected, but I would probably try it again.

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Beautiful dark garnet in color with a luscious tan head. The head falls back to a 1/2 inch coating. There is no trace of the expected lace.

The smell is underwhelming. Most Belgians have a very distinct estery odor from the yeasts or rich chocolate from the malt. I had to swirl the beer to get any aroma out of it and when I did it only gave a whiff of caramel with a tinge of lemon.

The flavors are also subtle, but very well balanced. The caramel in the nose continues on the tongue and brings with it a nice sweetness that is not cloying. There is a very light hops or yeast presence in the form of a bit of bitterness at the back of the tongue that is reminiscent of pineapple.

This is a nice clean beer. The body is medium, but drinks lighter due to the dryness.

If I wanted a Belgian that wasn't overly complicated then I'd go with this one. If I'm looking for more flavor I'll choose another style. This is a wonderful representation of the style, but I prefer that my taste buds get more of a work-out.

4.12/5  rDev -1.2%

A- Very dark in color, amber with hues of maroon. Pours with a luscious strong head. Bubbles continue to elevate while you drink.

S- Average in smell, a lot less of the fruits and sugars yu get from other Belgium beers.

T- Outstanding. Nice bitter bite up front and very malty. YEast less defined than other Belgiums but that leaves way for the dark fruit and malt to seep in. Very enjoyable.

M- Dry but sticks around for a moment.

D- Very much so. Sadly I only had one bottle or I would have had a second right behind it.

All in all, very well crafted dubbel, and one of my favorites in the style. Looking forward to my next one.

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from a 330 mL bottle into a Belgian tulip glass.

A: Pours a very dark, hazy amber with a generous tan head that holds very firmly. A constant stream of bubbles can be seen rushing up the side of the glass. Leaves generous lacing on the glass as you drink it down.

S: Malty sweet and fruity. A hint of raisin and dates covered in caramel. It's very subtle and delicate with a gently earthiness underlying the other scents.

T: The first sip is surprisingly bold considering the delicate aroma. A sharp twang is the first flavor the hits the palate. It's difficult to describe. It's not unpleasant in any way, just surprising. The sharpness quickly fades into a pleasant blend of malt and dark fruits. Rum raisin, figs and a gentle touch of coffee. The hop presence is understated and judiciously applied to let the malty, fruity flavors shine through.

M: This is difficult to describe. It's a touch on the dry side but has just enough body to let the flavors linger for several minutes. Quite remarkable, really. I can't imagine the mouthfeel being any better. Exceptional.

D: Supremely drinkable. I could easily gulp this one down or sip it slowly. This beer will let you have it any way you want it. I could easily drink several of these in a row and I'm sure I would only regret it the morning after.

Overall: World class Belgian Dubbel. Somewhat different than others in the style and could possibly benefit from just a touch more complexity. In spite of that, it is supremely balanced and immensely drinkable. Would definitely buy again.

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

11.2 ounce bottle into a Belgian tulip glass.

A: Brown with a beige creamy head. Fine bubbles. Larger than expected head.

S: Clean, almost soapy (not in a bad way). Prunes.

T: Fruity like the smell, prunes and raisins, and with molasses.

M: Bubbly with a little bit dry finish.

D: Balanced. Easy to drink. I would have another.

4.53/5  rDev +8.6%

P: 33cL brown bottle "TRAPPISTENBIER" stamped around the neck.

A: Pours a dark brown with a thick and creamy tan-colored head. Visible bits of black yeast when held up to light.

S: Peppery, slight caramel notes.

T: Chocolate, malty, and fruity. A dry, alcoholic bit after the first impression, but nonetheless, a great experience for the tongue. Warming.

M: Coarse, almost gritty from the yeast. Medium carbonation and relatively thick body.

D: 100% drinkable, and for me, that's an interesting concept for a Belgian Ale. If these didn't cost so much here in FL, I'd consider buying this every week.

4.36/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

750ml 25Oz Belgian bottle poured into my Duvel Chalice.

Nice deep brown.

Good head and lacing.

Nose is hard to detect but when I do find it, its classic Belgian.

Taste is sweet sweet but then takes the palate on a ride. It has some hops but not alot. Malts are the winner here. Bready, molasses, dark fruits and some slight spice. It finishes slightly bitter but mostly clean.

Mouth feel is medium to rich. Carbonation is just right. This is a very smooth beer. I read it was a fine example of the style and it surely was.

I could sip this at all times, breakfast, lunch and dinner.

A great Dubbel. Those Trappist monks are just brilliant.

3.6/5  rDev -13.7%

Bottle gives dark brown color with thick lasting off-white head. Nice aroma of dark fruits and yeast. Taste matches aroma with dark fruits, malts, yeast, spice - a bit sharper than I am used to with dubbels. Finish mildly bitter, thin mouthfeel. Overall just a step above OK.

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

Picked up a bottle on sale for 3.99. This is my first time having this beer. Poured into Chimay chalice. Bottle says to enjoy by 08, looks like the liquor store did about two years of aging for me

A: Pours a deep mahogany with hues of brown and purple, 1 finger head on pour, settles to a thin dense head, leaves lacing

S: notes of red grapes, some wine like notes, some candi sugar- but not nearly as sweet smelling as some Belgians, lots of fruitiness on the nose with some spicy highlights, smells to be well balanced

T: the grapes notes are up front but dry out very quickly, again - reminiscent of a dry red wine, some yeasty notes on the finish, the ABV is well integrated into the brew. Over all a very nice balance, slightly on the dry side, but I like the fact that it doesn't have a lingering sweetness on the palate

MF: silky smooth, medium body, medium to high carbonation

D: this is an excellent Belgian Dubbel, lots of fruity notes alone with characteristics similar to a dry red wine. Lots going on here while being greatly balanced. I may have to head back to the store and clear them out as this beer seems to age well.

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

pours a a thick dark brown color with a 2 finger beige head that recedes slowly and leaves some nice clinging lacing on side of glass...the smell is plum, raisins, fig ,caramel , toffee and malts and some hops ..WOW this is a complex and flavorful dubbel it starts out sweet then some fruits like plum and fig come in then some bready malts and hops this is well balanced and very flavorful..the currant fruits with the malts and hops are just fantastic..it medium bodied and highly drinkable

4.42/5  rDev +6%

750ml 25.4 Oz. bottle.

Appearance: Rich dark brown, but not as dark as other Belgian Quads. Good head and lacing.

Smell: Great richness for a Dubbel with some spice in the nose.

Taste: Unique, to say the least, starts sweet then ends with a really nice level of hoppy bitterness, really an amazing flavor profile again, unique among Trappistes ales and very, very, good.

Mouth feel: Good carbonation, extremely smooth and well balanced.

Drinkability: Could drink this one all night, in fact one of the best Dubbels I've had.

Pricey, in fact very pricey, but definitely worth a try.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

A: Pours an opaque chestnut color with a giant, rocky, fluffy cream colored head. Retention is excellent, keeping a thick cap throughout the drink. Smalls chunks of yeast can be seen floating around.

S: Wow! Complex nose to say the least. Bready, sweet, yeasty, malty, fruity, just a lot of things going on. There is an underlying sweetness in the nose- almost like sweet toffee or caramel. Dark fruits lend some plum, prune, and banana. Yeast gives some spicy characters as well; cardamom, light coriander, and butter.

T: Again, super complex- and part of this even seems vinous. Upfront there is a candyish sweetness, followed by a nice dark fruit character, consisting of plums/banana/pear/fig. The yeast adds some bread, fruity esters, and butter. Malts give off some caramel, toffee, cocoa powder/chocolate, and molasses. The malts keep the sweetness in check. Hops are apparent, but play second fiddle to everything else, lending only a slight twang.

MF/D: Medium to lighter in body, slightly dry. Carbonation is perfect, and the finish is a long yeasty/bready/buttery one.

Notes: I didn't really love the Tripel from Westmalle, but this is awesome

4.82/5  rDev +15.6%

A: poured into a triple goblet glass with a hard pour at 40F, got a little head, and its lacing stuck to the walls and is lasting a long while.
Brown in color with some cloudiness because I poured it yeast and all.

S: plum like grapes, some leather overtones. sweet malt, rock candy sweetness, great balance with the hops, mild alcohol hits the nose as it warms up. Very complex what can you say its a Trappist they are all complex beers.

T: very rich and complex plum flavor, with rock candy sweetness, you get the malt and yeast flavors, great hop to malt balance, but none of them overpower the beer as it should be. not to sweet but it is a Dubbel. Great stuff

M: smooth and creamy, medium body, nice carbonation

D: easy to drink 3 or 4 of these but you will be a tad tipsy at the end, at least I was.

3.93/5  rDev -5.8%

Pouring into a chalice results in a black ale with red highlights, accompanied by a copious amount of long lasting head.

Smells dry. Scents include raisins, and maybe a bit of caramel or molasses.

Nice bit of sweetness, with hints of chocolate and caramel. A deeper, slight alcoholic flavor is present in the back, but I can't really place it. Very smooth, with little to no bitterness. Above average carbonation. Overall dry finish with little to no aftertaste.

Fairly easy to drink overall, but the dryness makes me want to sip it slowly and enjoy the flavors, rather than knocking back a few.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle