Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros
3.48/5  rDev -16.5%

330 ml bottle from the LCBO

Pours deep amber with a somewhat fizzy tan head. Very nice looking but a lck of head retention lost it some points.

Aromas are very typical of the style but smaller and more subtle then some of the better examples. I like the aroma I just wish it was bigger.

The flavour is similar to the aroma. Everything that should be there in a good dubble is but I find this somehow lacking.

The mouthfeel is a little rough and one thing I really like about dubbles is the soft subtle complexity but this one is rough and brash.

This is a nice brew but I think it will do better with some time in the cellar. Ill review in a year.

3.82/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured from a 12ozer.

Pours a cloudy dark reddish color with bright fluffy white head, great thick malty aroma.

Has a nice malt beginning to the flavor but is very thin after that. High carbonation causes quite a bit of bite on the tongue. Decent malty aftertaste, though again very thin. The mouthfeel is quite thin compared to what I expected.

Overall a decent beer but not what I thought I was going to get from this beer.

3.4/5  rDev -18.5%

Purchased one week ago, bottle has a buy by date of 4/4/09. Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle at approximately 50-55 degrees F. into a pint glass. Coloring was a very pretty dark reddish brown, very very little head and what little there was dissipated quickly, consequently very little lacing. Quite a lot of carbonation, lots of small bubbles racing rapidly toward the surface. Nice malty aroma and I was eagerly anticipating a full body/heavy ale. Good initial malt flavor but the mouth feel was not at all what I'd been expecting from it's aroma. Fairly thin/light mouth feel, somewhat dry finish with a faint sweetness remaining on the center of my tongue, possibly a very faint citrus note. All in all it's flavor was good, it is a drinkable enough ale just not as heavy as I like and definitely not something I'd likely pay as much for as I did this time.

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a very dark, orange-red. Large bubbly tan head. Thick, sticky lacings.

Candied fruit on the nose, like caramel apples.

Fruity malt is certainly there in the form of dates and other sugary produce, but the yeast really takes over. A very dry beer from the moment it touches your tongue. Leaves a lingering light hoppiness, slightly woody.

Packs a flavourful punch but isn't a heavy beer. It is smooth drinking, goes down easy.

So hard to review these classic beers... not that I'm complaining.

Bottle poured into chalice. Nice dar red mohogany - huge head considering it was poured into a chalice. Smell malt and fruit - faint. Taste was similar - I would not consider the flavor to be strong though - very nice - not overpowering - clean finish. Mouthfeel good body well carbed. This won't overpower you - I can see drinking two or three of these easily. It is what it is, I don't necessarily think its worth the price though - based on this site - I guess my expectations were a little high.

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%

I reviewed this beer back in April of 2007, and had a bottle in the US of undetermined age and dubious condition. I had it again in Belgium (at a regular, non-beer-focused restaurant) and thought it to be great, and needed to revisit. The dubbel and tripel from this brewery are very good.

Poured a dark red-brown color with lots of head. Aroma was slightly sour with some cherry notes and a little bit of malt accents. Flavor was maltier and roastier than the aroma with more sourness which was slightly cherry-ish in flavor. Mouthfeel was quite clean and dry and quite good.

I would highly recommend this beer. I had it along with a croque monsieur and some frites at a Brussels restaurant called La Trappiste.

3.45/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

It starts with a highly carbonated head that settles to a ring of foam fairly quickly. The nose is of dark malts, raisins and sour alcohol notes. Taste-wise there is roasted malts, raisins, nuttiness and plenty of carbonation. The latter of which tingles the tip of the tongue and amplifies the dryness of this drink. Mouth-feel is an odd combination of creaminess and wateriness at different stages.

Westmalle's dubbel goes down fast though for a such a strong beer. And in it's native glass, finishing a few in a sitting is not out of the question.

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

A slim and distinctive 11.2-ounce bottle poured into a goblet yields a gorgeous ruby-amber body capped with a grainy-bubbled cap of sandy ivory foam. The head relaxes into a thick sheet that leaves a fine, filmy web of lacing on the glass.

The smell is malty with plenty of yeasty fruitiness and spice. Overripe notes of apple and caramel-coated plums stand right out as a dark, toasty malt note lurks underneath.

The taste is fruity and richly malty, the drink cut to fluffy quaffability with a sizzle of fine carbonation. A dark, malty caramel laden with notes of cocoa-covered plums forms the backbone of the drink. A bit of coffee and dilute ripe cherry emerges from the toasty maltiness.

Westmalle's Dubbel is simply magnificent. The crisp, medium-bodied drink is, dee-licious, zestily carbonated and highly quaffable.

4.67/5  rDev +12%

Got this beer in its 11.2 ounce bottle at Gaslight Brewery and Restaurant. I had always wanted to try the westmalle trappist beers and it was a no brainer to finally try it last night. From the first sip, I was drawn by its complexities.
A- Nice brownish red color with limited head. Poured into a westmalle glass (this bar has the right glass for every beer they serve)

S- some caramel notes mixed in with nice dried fruits such as cherries and plum and a good yeast backing.

T- the smell and more. The roastyness surrounded the tantalizing fruit esters. At times their was hints of alcohol and yeast, but they did not get in the way of how great this beer is.

M- Very drinkable. This one is worth taking slow medium size sips because you'll want to enjoy it for as long as possible.

D- Awesome! Could have a couple in a sitting.

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

Cloudy dark ruby brown color with one finger off white head.

Scent of ripe dark fruits, sugars, yeast, and somewhat earthy malts. Alcohol is almost unnoticeable. Packs a punch, but is not too strong, very balanced.

Taste of ripe fruits, raspberries and plums, sugars, and some slightly earthy malts flatten the sweetness a bit giving it a nice balance. Finishes dry with some fruit and yeast.

Mouthfeel is smooth and somewhat stinging.

Damn good beer, I suggest picking this one up if it is available to you.

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a bottle into a clean, clear glass. Let me start my praising the bottle itself. Not exactly like the one that I see pictured above, mine is a brown bottle with a dark brown, even deep red or maroon label oriented as in a diamond shape (not the normal horizontal pictured above). My bottle retained the necklace proclaiming "TRAPPISTENBIER" Apprent freshness date of 23/01/10.

A Unopened this beer has one of the best presentations in my memory. Through direct light I can see the beer within complete with sediment floating around. Upon pouring it there is a very generous light brown head which I let settle since I could not pour the whole bottle without risking head overflow. There was excellent lacing on the glass as the head reduced in size. In the glass the appearance of this beer continues to impress with a ruby brown body again with that sediment visible in the body. Really, great appearance.

S There is that familiar trappist grainy maltiness with singificant sweetness. I get sweet grapes which are transient in a wonderfully inviting fruitty smell.

T Malty sweet now with hops. I do not taste that transient grape smell but a whole lot of grains (and barley?). Alcohol is not strong but that is just fine.

M Full for sure but a lot of smoothness I suppose thanks to the malts and grains.

D Good but this is an expensive bottle at something like $5.99 apiece. Price/availability drives down the drinkability in a practical sense but if you had a bucket of them then it is good for sure.

Notes: This was the last in a large group of bottles that I picked up at McNalty's Bier Markt in Cleveland, Ohio a while back. Since then I have found many of those same beers on sale in local stores and some at lower prices. The Bier Markt is awesome for having so many of these available (whatever the price!) every day.

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

Now this shit is good. A nice dark reddish mahogany colour with a thick off-white head that sticks around.

Very complex aroma, caramel, dried fruit, raisins, grapes and a hint of alcohol.

A nice mouthwatering beer, very rich, caramely, fruity and a strong alcohol taste.

Velvety smooth

3.86/5  rDev -7.4%

A: Exceptional foam head with a dark brown color almost like mousse.

S: The smell had an interesting mixture of dark caramel, brown sugar, and roasted malts. A hint of raisin smells can be detected.

T: High alcohol taste, dry and bitter.

M: Heavy mouth coating.

D: not sure what to make of this so I'll just rate it good. It didn't suck but I'm not sure I'd buy a case.

3.97/5  rDev -4.8%

I have been wanting to try my Westmalle Dubbel that was in my stock for some time now (about 3 months). I decided with all the turmoil in the economy that today was as good as any.

Mine was poured into a St. Bernardus Watou glass. The head is light and fluffy and disappears all too soon. I am really liking the dark rich appearance.

The smell of estery fruit, rich malt, and light alcohol are intriguing. I can't wait to rap my lips around this juicy smelling beer.

To be honest the taste was a bit disappointing. I would much rather have a St. B Apt 12 than this, but oh well its good just not mind blowingly good.
I can taste a hint of the fruit, dry malt, and a long lightly bitter finish.

The mouthfeel is light and crisp. I would recommend drinking this beer just under room temperature in an attempt to build up the mouthfeel.

This beer is fairly drinkable at 7% ABV but not so drinkable considering the $4.50 for an 11oz bottle. Oh well still cheaper than Abt 12. I did like it, but I've had better within the same style. This is definately better than Orval but not as good as Chimay Grande Reserve.

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

A: snifter. opaque mahogany color. nice light tan head. great retention and great lacing.

S: wonderful fruity aroma. some figs, pears, plums and some clove.

T: nice and mellow. flavors of fig, plum and clove mostly. great palate for a dubbel.

M: clean and crisp for the style. great carbonation level. medium to full bodied.

D: great dubbel...as with almost all trappist beers, give it a shot and you won't be disappointed.

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours nice dark brown colour with big tan head. Smell - roasted malts, nuts, chocolate and a hint of alcohol. Taste is unbelievable. So rich, chocolaty, but overhelming, not too sweet, not too bitter, perfectly balanced. Medium body, very smooth, perfect carbonation level, alcohol is so hidden in that beer. It's very drinkable. I mean very. It my first dubbel, and I'm very surprised how drinkable beer can be at 7 abv.

4.13/5  rDev -1%

A beautiful pour, copious head, deep chestnut color. Subtle nose of malts, some alcohol. Great lacing on the way down.

First taste was good, and I was actually surprised at the level of bitterness in this brew. Dubbels I've had in the past have been much more malt-forward and sweeter, I guess it just depends on the brewer. Nevertheless, this is a tasty beer. Definite hop presence, with a tart characteristic. A lot of coffee flavors afterwards, full roast. Smooth mouthfeel, fine carbonation. No strong alcohol taste, though it's 7%.

One of the classic Dubbels. Fantastic dry drink.

3.87/5  rDev -7.2%

A dark cherry brown brew with a good helping of tan head completing the pour and rising to the rim of the goblet. Head recedes at a quick pace and leaves very little lacing behind. Some scattered chunks of sediment float throughout. Aromas of chocolate, coffee, cherries, booze and roasted malts linger. Tastes thick with a burgundy booziness up front. Behind that theres some dark fruits, malts, yeast and spice. Mouth-feel is medium bodied and open with plenty of carbonation. I find it drinkable, although not as smooth as could be due to a certain crispness present, but this is entirely a personal preference.

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

Review from tasting notes. Dark amber brown, massive amount of foam, nice lacing. Aroma of chocolate covered nuts and rum soaked fruit. Floral. Flavor of dark fruit - raisins, plums, plus hints of dark chocolate. Slightest hint of sugary rum and candy sugar. Creamy, ample carbonation, dry yeast finish. Absolutely delicious.

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

Served in a Grimbergen glass.
A.Nice head with fair retention, dark red in color almost a dark brown.
S.Cherry, a little malty, caramel.
T.Caramel, cherry, fairly complex, best tasteing double I have had.
M.Very creamy as are all the trappist beers I have had.Good carbination, very good.
D.I enjoyed the whole glass and could drink the rest of the bottle but was glad to split with a friend.

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a nice medium brown with extra rich dark red tint that becomes visible when held up to the light. This is the color of what a deep brown and crimson liquid candy would look like. Head is a nice tan color. Full lacing and retention.

S: Dark caramel, brown sugar, and roasted malts. A fruit presence was apparent and cinnamon spices abundant.

T: Raisin and grape type tastes were definitely present. These dark fruits balanced against chocolate and caramel richness.

M: Medium to full body but with a crisp and clean finish.

D: Highly drinkable.

3.4/5  rDev -18.5%

Pours a slightly murky ruby red with a thin tan head.

Smell is of dark fruits and alcohol.

Taste is oddly boozy with some caramel sweetness. Almost unpleasant.

Mouthfeel is a little thin.

A disappointing one and done for me. I do enjoy my Belgian dubbels but not this one.

HV

4.41/5  rDev +5.8%

poured from a 11 oz bottle in to a goblet.

pours a dark brown with some ruby and somewhat thin head.

smell is of yeasty mellow grape juice. great smell

bright carbonation leads a fruity light malt flavor.

nice full mouthfeel and very nice beer to drink.

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

It took me more then a year to get this beer (and the Tripel) here in central Montana, finally got the local distributor to deliver. Maybe other places one can go out to the local store and get one, but not here. So here we go.

My first one that I tried, foamed out over my counter, ended up with about 5 ounces of drinkable beer (clearly mishandled). The second one however poured perfectly into my Chalice.

Good head, fairly dark, in appearance not that spectacular but good. Smell was exceptional. Taste was nothing else I have tasted, smooth but complex. Nothing short of incredible, worth the wait. I would give up sex to drink this beer.

4.71/5  rDev +12.9%

Been wanting to try, picked up a bottle and here we go.

11.2 oz bottle poured gently into a oversized wine glass.

A: Enormous creamy foam that gives this thing the head of a drive-in movie theater. Thick and dark in the brew and the head. Color is a shade short of mahogany and dark crimson. Big bubbles too which I like.

N: Fresh sweetness and malts, than a little more malts. Smells like an EL Fudge cookie would smell if it came straight out of a bakery.

T: Wow, even better than the nose. What a boatload of character this has. Like a spiced rum cake. Fruity, malty with underlying bitterness. Can you get any more balanced in a beer? A sipping pleasure with a detecteable alcohol that is in no way or shape off putting but welcomed. I even get some caramel, vanilla and banana as it completely came to almost room temp.

The alcohol soaked dates that these monks were playing with to modify shows that they sure knew what was going on. This beer is outstanding.

M: Thinner than the taste would lead you to but allows you to put it away with no issue or drowning of the palate.

D: These monks did a phenomenal job. Full of character, not too thick, and one of the few well made in this style that you could drink all night. Winner, winner chicken dinner.

Amazing the flavor that is packed into a dubbel and at this alcohol level. Definitely one that needs and urges you to seek it out. This has the complexity of a terrific triple or even quad.

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle