Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

12 oz. bottle marked 07/02/08, I have no idea how old it is. Appearance is a dark-reddish brown with a small head that sticks around pretty well but is not more than a centimeter high. The smell of this beer reminded me of grapes and red wine and me anticipate the taste even though I don’t drink wine…. The taste is delicious but doesn’t quite match up with the smell but that is ok. It is also thick and hard to describe. It’s dark and fruity but not really spicy at all, maybe some nuttiness. Good bubbly carbonation and very easy to drink, this is a nice beer. Both beers I have had so far from Westmalle have been delicious but I enjoyed this more than the tripel and I wish I had bought more than one.

ArrogantB, Sep 07, 2007
3.23/5  rDev -22.5%

33 cl bottle poured into a tulip shaped pint glas.

Cloudy beer with a brown/dark red color. Off-white head that is large at first but mostly diminishing. Good lacing.

Smells good. Sweet malts and yeast, dried fruit, raisins, figs, plums. A bit of caramel/toffee as well.

The taste is not quite as good as the smell. Very fruity at first, then a more sour yeasty taste and some toffee/cocoa. Alcohol and some hoppy bitterness in the finish.

Medium body and lively carbonation. A bit dry.

Interesting, but not really my type of beer.

Jonte, Sep 01, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +5%

Appearance: Poured into a goblet from a very classy bottle that confirms that this is in fact "Trappistenbier" along a raised strip along the upper middle of the bottle. Great presentation. Pours a cloudy, dark brown with a great 2 finger, off-white head. Lacing is almost perfect, lining the walls of the goblet with a wallpaper of foam, lining where I took each great sip.

Smell: Smelling this beer was one of those great "beer moments" where it's just you and the beer, and nothing else seems to matter. I can't tell you how great this beer smells. I can only try to describe it... Clean, perfect aroma of grapes, plums, apples sweet malts... it's all there for your olfactory glands to absorb and enjoy. \

Taste: Enters the mouth with a nice full, fruity character, giving way to a very clean, slightly hoppy note and finishing nicely with hints of sweet malt and perhaps more of the dark fruits revealed in the nose. Mouthfeel is a weaker part of this beer, being slightly more prickly than I would have liked, but still very enjoyable. Nothing too detracting.

Notes: My iTunes is on random right now, but what comes up as I finish this glass of Westmalle Dubbel? Coldplay's "God Put a Smile Upon your Face." I can't think of a better song to describe this beer.

BucBasil, Sep 01, 2007
3.73/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a dark clowdy brown with a thick tan head that sticks around for a minute or two.

Smells of toasted rolls, dark malts, caramel and some dark fruits.

Tastes slightly sweet and malty up front with a fairly thin middle and a slightly sour dry finish. A little nut and chocolate in there as well. This beer was strong up front but didn't wow me in the middle. I wasn't as impressed with this brew as I thought I was going to be.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Goes down easily.

Easy to drink but I wouldn't put down the money for one again. Their tripel is far better.

dren, Aug 30, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +11%

12 oz bottle poured into a westmalle goblet. pours a hazy chocolate brown with a finger of tan head that is soapy in character.

aroma is very malty and yeasty at first, containing caramel and chocolate malts, with a decent ale yeast character, giving the aroma a fruity base. notes of floral yeast, caramel, and a touch of roasted malts give the aroma complexity, while remaining bold overall.

taste is of caramel malts up front, with notes of floral and fruity yeasts, pale malts, and a slight vinous feel to the base. finishes with a touch of apple and sourness, only to bring out mild hops in the aftertaste. very well proportioned and balanced. good concentration as well.

mouthfeel is medium-bodied, with a creamy texture and a decent CO2 presence. could have been a bit thicker for the boldness of the flavors.

drinkability is good. the beer is not filling, nor has a high alcoholic presence. this brew is a solid example of a dubbel, and a great brew all around. cheers!

botham, Aug 28, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance: Murky dark brown with some ruby edges. Creamy off-white head. Decent retention and lacing.

Smell: Caramel dark malt, plums, grapes, nuts.

Taste: Dark malt backbone, raisins and plums provide a nice darker fruity flavor. Grapes add a nice lightness. There is a nuttiness in the finish, with some chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Full carbonation. Mild dry finish.

Drinkability: This is very easy to drink. A damn good dubbel.

stereosforgeeks, Aug 24, 2007

Pours very dark ruby to brown depending on angle/light. Head is nice tan to white and retains well.

Nose is fresh bready/yeasty/estery.

On the palate the carbonation greatly stands out with an off, malt extract like component towards the finish. Good malt, brown sugar, and dessert like qualities but I'm concerned about the finish.

yemenmocha, Aug 23, 2007
4.13/5  rDev -1%

Pours into my goblet a dark mahogany color with a creamy thick tan colored head. The head dies down to leave a slim layer of foamy head. Smell is of belgian candied sugar and some yeastynes... Taste is dark malt, dried fruit, a little cocoa, and doughy yeast. A slight alcohol warming presence makes this a very rich drink. One of my top belgian darks, great trappist ale.

genog, Aug 19, 2007
4.72/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The prune juice brown color with fine belgian lace surrounding a tall glass. Nose is slightly malty with hints of fruits and dark sugar. A range of malt flavor from sweet to slightly sour that gives way to a balanced a spicy hop finish. Truly well crafted. Great for those mild fall days.

jnelson54, Aug 19, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

A: Pours brown.... very dark... 1/4" white head. Sticky, OK lacing.

S: Boozy, malty. Clean "soapy" (?) hops.

T: Malty with a strong alcohol presence. Light slightly-spicy hops... Saaz perhaps? Not terribly complex.

M: Bitter carbonation. Kills any sense of malty body.

D: Not my favorite... Carbonation kills drinkability.

After a while, I swirled most of the carbonation out, and the character changed.

M2: Smooth, but not much body. Clean finish.

D2: Drinkability improved significantly.

beals, Aug 18, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +15.8%

Westmalle Dubbel (AGED: circa 1980s) (Rating 9.5/10) - 6.5 ABV - 16 August 2007

2 days ago I had a Westmalle Dubbel which appears to be from the 90s and I felt that it was past its prime but perhaps that may not be the case. More important would be how the beer had aged over time. This Dubbel from the 80s (or maybe 90s?) had no label on the bottle;
in place was a extrusion of the "ABDU WESTMALLE" text. There was also no sludge and no sediments during the pour at all. The only sign of age is the little "ring" on the bottle neck where the beer level is before pouring. The underside of the cap was intact; the one I had 2 days ago had slight rust though not in the main area of the cap but still it was not looking too good. This aged Westmalle poured out dark ruby brown like any Westmalle Dubbel but without any head; all that was present was a nice ring lacing; no sediments at all. It smells of strong fruits (mainly plums and raisins) and also the typical Westmalle smell. It tasted strongly of plums, raisins and very subtle yeastiness and very slight bitterness on the finish. The entry had a certain alcohol strength which I could fully appreciate and it was backed with a strong dark fruity entry as well. The body was not as thick as I would have liked but this entry
strength as well as the very apt level of carbonation topped things out and it is not thin nor even the slightest watered down which was what I felt about the 1990s vintage which I tried 2 days ago. It was very smooth as well and I really enjoyed it. The after taste was lasting; way more lasting than the one I had 2 days ago and the fruits involved are again typical of the Westmalle Dubbel: Plums, dark grapes, Raisins and maybe other dark fruits like dates, etc; very fruity and tasty. Of course the entire package is all mellow and pleasant but not detracting from the strength and character that is of essence for a trappist ale. I think this
beer held up very well over the years and I can really appreciate it. Proper aging is of essence; seems to me the 90s vintage I had 2 days ago was badly aged.

Westmalle Dubbel (AGED: circa 1990s) (Rating 9/10) - 6.5 ABV - 14 August 2007

This is an aged Westmalle Dubbel, with the older cap as well; this is probably my first old beer. I estimate that it is from the 90s but I am not too sure. The bottle was a little hard to crack and when I got it off I immediately smell a strong fruity aroma comprising of dark fruits like plums, grapes, etc. The pour left a slightly less than 1 finger stable creamy head which stayed for quite a bit. The smell was a very strong fruity smell and so was the taste but it was not as strong as I would expect it to be. Fruity notes like plums and grapes are definitely more pronounced with its age and the yeasty notes on the finish were really light and subtle. The taste is very mellow and soothing and generally very identifiable as the Westmalle taste from my previous experiences with the Westmalle Dubbel. I think the fruitiness may be a little stronger than the 2003 or 2004 vintage version that I had but in terms of mouthfeel it seems to be falling short as the body has became thin and is probably between medium to light body which makes it feel a little watered down. Had the body been thicker, it would probably have been lovely but I guess at this age, this Westmalle may be a little past its prime but I
am not really sure, to be honest. The after taste was strong and fairly lasting but not as lasting as I would like it to be. Something that made me feel a little uncomfortable was the sludge that formed in the bottle itself along with the sediment flakes. I had the flakes scooped up before I drank the beer. I guess it is normal to have these flakes around specially at that age but I guess I would do without it. :)

basica, Aug 15, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

another yummy one!!! i am loving the Belgian Trappist beers!!! pours into my glass beautifully. about 1/2" head settles to 1/4". and stays throughout. strong smooth carbonation with nice lacing. wonderfull rich smell. light caramel chocolate but not strong. very well balanced and nice smooth finish..i am gettin thirsty typing bout this one.

very drinkable. about $4 for a 11.5oz bottle...? hell yeah! i would buy it everyday if i could find and afford it!

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

giblet, Aug 10, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

On sale at Liquor Max in Loveland, CO for $2.99.

Very slow pour into a 0.4 liter goblet yields a three-inch tan frothy head over hazy dark amber body with plenty of carbonation. Head fades to a foamy thick lid. Pretty beer.

Smell is yeasty malty chocolatey, with pepper. Nice and rich, though not as pronounced an aroma as its bigger brother the Tripel.

Taste is spicey-yeasty up front, then malty and espresso-chodolatey, then a nice dry finish. Spot on for a Dubbel. Alcohol is evident.

Mouthfeel is rounded out well by the ample, long-lasting carbonation.

Drinkability is good.

ColoradoBobs, Aug 10, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Thanks once again to Vintage beer and wine in Boardman, Oh. for the great selection, which allowed me to purchase this beer.

I have to preface this review by saying that in recent weeks I have been drinking a bunch of the St. Bernardus beers along with Rochefort, so needless to say, my bar has been set very, very high. Anyone who tells you that Belgian monks do not brew the best beer hands down are simply kidding themselves and trying to fool you...

A--This poured with a generous three finger head that was pushing four in my Corsendonk glass. Nice brown color, the typical hue of a belgian dubbel.

S--This really is a great smelling beer. Fruity and aromatic, it has a smell of figs/cherries/plums, very nice.

T--This is a very tasty beer. I think I may have goofed and served it a bit too warm but it still has a nice flavor, not to be confused with St. Bern ABT or Roch 10, but still outstanding. A bit watery to the palate and the alcohol lingers a bit more than some of the other monk classics.

D--very good beer no doubt. However, I honestly would never pass over the abt12, prior 8, rochefort 10 or 8 if I had the choice. This is a belgian worth trying though, I think I am just spoiled.

garbercury, Aug 02, 2007

330 ml bottle into a Chimay goblet

A: Rich looking dark brown body. 1" cream head that fell slowly to a large ring covering most of the body. Left little lacing.

S: Smelled largely of caramel malt. Slightly spicy, with alcohol and dark fruit present as well. Seems to differ somewhat from sniff to sniff.

T: Taste like the nose. Malty goodness throughout, yeast in the finish & just a touch of spice and alcohol - but not so much they interfere with my enjoyment.

M: Medium body, properly carbonated (as opposed to the Chimay Red consumed just earlier. Dry finish.

D: As the Chimay Red, very drinkable. The alcohol is more noticable here, but not enough to keep me from having a 2nd or 3rd (if only I'd have bought more).

OKCNittany, Jul 31, 2007
4.68/5  rDev +12.2%

If ever there was a colure before “Let There Be Light” this is it, Westmalle Trappist Ale pours that dark. Head of light tan very fine foam goes to over two fingers before settling down to a fine cap of foam with moderate lacing. The carbonation does not rise to the top and replenish the head, it can’t, the liquid is too viscous and traps the gas within, only to be released when the ale washes over the tongue. Pretty neat trick, I would say.

Raisin and prune with just a touch of fig and allspice to the nose. Raisin and prune with just a touch of fig, and allspice to the palate as well as bittersweet dark chocolate. The 7.00% ABV is completely veiled within this delicious brew.

If I take up consuming Westmalle Trappist Ale on a regular basis, I’m going to have to get a second job…

BeerBob, Jul 27, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

a - poured a three-fingers thick toffee-colored and fizzy head that into a tulip glass. the body was a deep mahogany with red and purple highlights. the head left a nice ring that was easily agitated and dissipated very quickly.
s - hints of grapes, dark fruits, caramel and semi-sweet chocolate.
t - raisins, bananas and a spicey finish.
m - very clean on the tongue and dry towards the finish.
d - nicely done, this is so easy to drink and has a lot of depth to it.

GPHarris, Jul 26, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

I had this last night, and although it wasn't the first time, it was while brewing and thus it seemed that much more inspiring so I figured I'd review it.

Poured into a St. Bernardus chalice, this beer poured a wonderful crimson/brown colour with fairly good clarity and a nice finger of fluffy off tan head. As impressive as it looked it what came next thats a real winner, smell. The aroma on this beer is such that you almost don't even want to drink the beer, instead just inhale the aroma deeply allnight. Almost. Huge aroma of chocolate, dark malts, dark fruits (figs come to mind), sweet bread, and a mild hint of clover.

Taste has similiar elements as the aroma, although on the body the chocolate/malt flavour is huge and dominating with a nice sweet center holding it all together. The fruits appear subtley in the finish and it cuts through with just enough hops to cut the sweetness and a nice smack of alcohol that dries and warms the palate. Wonderful.

Mouthfeel is nice, although perhaps a little too carbonated, but its got a great overall silky texture to it. As for drinkability, for the style and ABV its extremely quaffable and I could probably go through gallons of it, expecially when it tastes and smells so damn good. One of the best dubbels out there.

colebenoit, Jul 25, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -16.5%

Drank from an 11.2 fl. oz. bottle at The Squealing Pig, Boston, MA

Poured a dark brown/black with ruby highlights when held to the light. A thin, foamy, caramel-colored head developed and lasted for most of the drink. There was no lacing whatsoever.

The aroma was surprisingly faint. Subtle notes of a powdery, Belgian yeastiness were detectable along with a slight mustiness.

The taste was dark and rich, yet a bit more dry than a typical Belgian dubbel. Dark malts and Belgian yeast came through up front, along with a slight metallic tinge. Strong notes of burnt raisins, prunes, currants, spices and a deep, oaky quality appeared as the beer moved along the palate. The finish was moderately hoppy and dry with a slight alcohol kick.

The mouthfeel was disappointing thin and excessively fizzy. All I could feel on my tongue was light, airy froth.

I was somewhat disappointed with this dubbel. Aside from the faint aroma and thin mouthfeel, it lacked both complexity and smoothness.

Damian, Jul 21, 2007
Photo of
3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

12oz. bottle

Hazy, dark brown/orange color. Meidum sized, creamy, light tan head. Nice lacing as I drank.

Aroma screams "MALT". Then, some grass and floral notes come through. Earthy and a hint of chocolate.

Taste is well balanced, but, despite the aroma, comes across as more bitter than sweet. Phenolic. Touch of caramel. Grassy bitterness at finish and lingering into the aftertaste.

Medium in body. Very "tingly" carbonation, more than expected based on pour. Dry.

Very enjoyable. More bitter than I usually expect from a Belgian.

, Jul 13, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

My first dubbel in quite a while, I'm always drawn to the tripels since they are always highly spoken of. This beer pours a deep brown with a nice head that has some decent retention. Some mild fruitiness in an aroma that is mostly dark chocolate and caramel. Mouthfeel is a little creamy with a slightly astringent taste that is well balanced, slightly sweet with a mild dry finish. A well-crafted and easy drinking beer I won't mind having again.

saintwarrick, Jul 01, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

This beer pour a dark chocolate brown from the bottle into my chalice. it has a nice inviting light brown/tan head that sticks around to give you a full nose of the aroma.

The nose on this baby is big, really big. Coffee, floral, spicy.

The taste surprises me, not sure why. It is very stoutish in flavor, with a bit more hops and floralish flavors. Oh, don't forget the toffee and chocolate overtones. I only had one, and I think that was the right number. You don't notice the alcohol.

It tingles the tongue with mild carbonation, and has a pleasant coaty action that sticks with you and warms into a floral hoppiness.

I will buy this beer again, but it's not in my top ten.

Cheers.

TPSReports, Jun 30, 2007
3.78/5  rDev -9.4%

I am having this beer whilst brewing beer, a Belgian Blond. The last time I had a Westmalle Dubbel was at the Duvel Bar in Stockholm, Sweden. Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into my de garre glass. One of the 21 beers I picked up in Belgium.

A - A gorgeuos beer, a very deep brown with a massive two finger creamy head. good lacing.

S - Nice and malty, with hints of fig and a bit of semi fruity Belgian yeast.

T - A solid Dubbel, but I was expecting a bit more in the taste department after the smell. Very creamy, sweet, and malty. A bit of fruit is noticeable as well; perhaps grape? As it warms, a bit of alcohol shines through as well.

M - Lots of carbonation, but slightly sticky on the tounge and a little grainy.

D - Another terrific belgian brew, not exceptional, but pretty darn close. If it starts appearing in Tallahassee, I will certainly line up to buy a few more.

IPAcraig, Jun 28, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +11%

The pour is deep brown with ruby highlights when held to the light. There is the slight cloudiness you expect from a bottle conditioned ale, though the yeast seems to clump nicely in the bottom of the bottle and so doesn't find its way into the glass if you're careful. The head is tight and long, long lasting with a tendancy to lacing.

The smell is perhaps the weakest point (which is just nitpicking) of this beer, it's hoppy and musty/yeasty with a touch of the high carbonation giving a slight CO2 twang to the nose.

The taste is - wonderful. Not especially complex, but perfectly balanced; each mouthful is a journey which begins with the malt, progresses to bitterness and ends with a pleasant yeasty aftertaste.

There's a big mouthfeel - high carbonation can turn the beer to foam if you roll it around your mouth too much,

Drinkability - well, if I could only drink one beer for the rest of my life I wouldn't mind it being this one.

Overall, this is my favourite Belgian beer - I'm always tempted to try and homebrew a clone myself, but I doubt I could do it justice.

BarryNL, Jun 26, 2007
3.63/5  rDev -12.9%

A: Pours dark brown color, huge head depite conservative pour, slight lace down the glass
S: Metallic, ETOH, dark fruit and buttery
T: Earthy, sweet dark fruitiness, ETOH and buttered popcorn taste
M: High amount of carbonation, medium bodied
D: Fairly complex beer, would get this again, very drinkable.

loren01, Jun 24, 2007