Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,370 | Reviews: 1,148
3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

The beer poured in a nutty dark red-brown color. Its sweet, hoppy and fruity aroma filled the room. Great. The glass had a finger of thick, nice foam with small craters in it, almost like a solid hat on the liquid. The taste was bitter and sweet with some licorice and citric notes as well as a faint touch of yeast. It was bubbly, to say the least. I know this is right for the style but I thought the carbonation got the upper hand of the mouthfeel. Considering that it's a Trappist I also felt it was a little thin in taste. I'd rather opt for the triples.

4.05/5  rDev -2.9%

Appearance: wonderful cloudy cider color. Head was huge and foamed....very foamy. Looks good

Smell: bursting with sweet fruity smells of mostly pears and a few plums. Touch of malt and a breaded/yeast smell to it. I also caught a very sutle smell of cloves and cinnamon spice

Taste/Mouthfeel: strong malts and fruit. The pear flavor is present with a sour raisin and banana character. Big taste and very pleasing! Has sweet candy flavor and a touch of what seems like brown sugar. Became very crisp and smooth after a few drinks and maintained a nice spicey flavor throughout. Very drinkable and it floats softly on your tounge and in the mouth.

Glad I bought this one! Great stuff!

3.88/5  rDev -7%

Pours a nice shade of brown with a fluffy head.

Smell is a little faint, but hints of fruits such as pears, grapes, and grapefruit waft upwards.

Taste is clean, with a lot of the fruits I mentioned, plus a dry tartness at the end. It's a little bit puckering, but this is one juicy beer and tastes delicious.

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

BBD of Nov 06

Pours a slightly turbid deep red/brown with a 1" tan colored head. Slight lacing & good filmy heady retention

S: choclate & a hint of alcohol& then breadyness/shortbread as it warms. I also get a little oakyness

T: Chocolate & little iron up front. Then I catch some earthy hops & hunts of licorice. Oakyness & alcohol as it warms. Finishes dry & fruitty with winey/acidic notes

MF: Medium bodied, slightly prickly & good balance

Drinks pretty easy, by far my favorite style of trappist/abbey ales. This would go great with roast beef or stew IMO, or any thing a burgundy type wine would pair with. Well worth the $ 3.70 for 11.2 ozs. superb version of the style

4.63/5  rDev +11%

Deep rich brown, like a dark walnut wood. Smooth and subtle bubbling activity through the body of the beer and the full cocoa head.
Mellow malt aroma with hints of plums and alcohol.
Delicious malt flavor balanced with slight hoppiness and the plum hues in the background.
Medium mouthfeel covers the tongue with malt and then drifts away and leaves a lingering after taste of plumb/hops throughout the mouth and nose.
I would enjoying sipping this all night, very drinkable.
I've had this beer several times and refrained from reviewing it because I thought factors other than the beer might be contributing to my enjoyment of it. But it hits me the same way every time. For me, this is a Hall of Fame beer.

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

I found this 33cl bottle at Whole Foods tonight as I was looking for something new and I think I may overlooked dubbel styles after tasting this one. It poured well in my 50cl glass (a great find at Crate/Barrel) to form a cheerful oatmeal head, with lingering bubbles beneath.

The first taste changed my mind about dubbel style ales as the candy-fruit, coffee, caramel, and hops all exploded at once. I'm sorry I only purchased one bottle as this was just outstandingly smooth with bitter traces reminding me how much I enjoyed it.

I found this to be very drinkable and I was wondering, as I always do with great beer in a bottle, what the ale would be like on tap...an exciting idea as I know barrels are available of this one, but not the Triple, in the USA.

Pours a very creamy head, with a nice toasted-brown colour. Colour is dark opaque brown. Aroma of dry fruits, raisins, chololate and spices, pepper maybe? I think a notice some coriander too. Mouth is of a somewhat harsh, but nice taste of caramel, spices, aniseed. Chocolate and port wine too.

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from the 330ml bottle into my Liefman's goblet. Body is a pretty dark brown with garnet highlights, topped by an inch of creamy, khaki-colored head that holds its own. Aroma of dark, sweet, bready malt, dark fruit, some banana esters, and a touch of astringency. Palate is lightly malty up front, with some strong peppery notes. A sweetness somewhere between maple and molasses builds towards the back of the mouth, along with notes of plum and dark cherries. Mouthfeel is rich and creamy, very nice. Goes down easy for a darker Belgian. A very tasty and refined ale.

4.52/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured into an oversized wine glass. Opaque, chocolate brown with some kinds of purple. A good, fluffy head when poured at the right temperature. LOTS of lacing.

Aroma is spritzy hops, lemon peel, doughy sourdough or white bread, and some mild prune or candied fruit. Flavour is much heavier on the dark fruits (raisins), especially as it warms, and very, very malty. Some wheat notes, sour strawberries, weakish cherry. Very thick, bready mouthfeel -- great! Crackers and cranberry aftertaste. Alcohol is extremely well-hidden.

Go LCBO!

The pour into my Westy chalice raises a cola-bubbled one finger head that dissipates very quickly to a thin layer, and eventually to a glass ring. The lacing is quite sticky at the beer's previous level. The body is a murky brown with ruby highlights. The nose is mildly alcoholic, peppery, caramely, darkly fruity, and, well, that's all I can pick up. The taste is mild (I think my cold is affecting my taste more than I thought), but a bit spicy and sweet. Still, this seems to have balance, I just wish I could say more. The mouth is a little light, with pretty active carbonation. I think I'll drink liquor and cheaper beer until I'm sure that I'm rid of this cold. Definitely scheduled for a re-visit!

Poured into a Westmalle chalice:

Pours brown with a thin, cream-colored head that soon becomes a spotted lace.

The smell is of caramel and raisin, with hints of chocolate. It's fairly mild, but pleasant.

The taste is of sweet, dark, dried fruits, caramel and a touch of toasted grain. It's malty, but not overly sweet. As it warms, more fruitiness appears (apples and a slice of citrus, mixed with dark fruits), along with a touch of cocoa. The alcohol is noticeable (esp. at the start and finish), but generally in a non-interfering way. The malty sweetness is also present, but restrained - largely by the fruit and grain.

The feel is creamy and smooth. Goes down very (too?) easily.

I want to go to Belgium. NOW. If this is this good here (after being in the bottle who knows how long - no freshness date), I can just imagine what it is like fresh over there...Would love to pair it with some fresh Belgian chocolate.

3.03/5  rDev -27.3%

A - Cloudy (I know this from the pour-ing), extremely dark, opaque brown. Head is huge, dense and creamy.

S - Intense fruit. Plums and raisins come to mind. Also some banana-like notes, and a touch of raspberry.

T - Hmm Strange. Initial impression is no taste at all. Then a mild bitterness creeps in. Fruitiness follows with an earthy touch. Aftertaste is a mild, lingering bitterness.

M - Dry in the finish. Light bodied and a touch overcarbonated.

D - Hmm. I was a bit disappointed with the taste. The initial no-taste was a bit of a shocker - I've never had anything like that before, and the overall lightness of the brew wasn't expected.

4.79/5  rDev +14.9%

Appearance: Cloudy, super dark chocalte amber. Phenomenal head never goes away.

Smell: Very tempting mix of caramel and lavender, with very spicy undertones.

Taste: Complex as hell. Sweet and port-like. Caramel, lavender, plum with a little anise on the finish. Floral notes come in as it warms. Incredible.

Mouthfeel: Really creamy. This is a very rich beer that has better legs than most cabernets. On that same note, it did get a little sticky after the swallow.

Drinkability: Great brew, phenomenal with dessert. Offers many surprises as she warms up.

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This bottle is sweet! I am keeping this for my own homebrews! NIce suttleness with decoration but not too outlandish.

Poured a ruby red with a small caramel head. Nice swirling effect as the head reforms thick and clingy. Smells of chocolate with deep roasted malt. Some hints of fruit, citrus I think. Taste is chocolatey malt with anice bitterness. Warming as it goes down. Very well hidden alcohol level, but I think I would enjoy a little more feeling. Thin mouthfeel goes down easy. I wish I had more than one of these. Looks like another trip to Ohio!

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

Pours dark brown with ruby-red highlights with several fingers of light tan head and a good bit of lacing. Smells sweet, fruity and somewhat piney. Tastes fruity, kind of pruny. Some roasted notes. Medium body. A little bitter. Tasty, but not my favorite dubbel. A solid beer though.

4.37/5  rDev +4.8%

11.2oz brown bottle with drink before date of 5/4/07. Pours a deep chestnut brown with a crisp sounding 2 finger head with good longevity and lace. Wonderful aromas of sweet malts, dried dark fruit, brown sugar, buttery, nutty and sherry. full bodied taste but yet somehow still subtle. Again big malts mixed with all the above smells. Alcohol hidden well. Smooth and creamy with a nice subtle hop bitterness in the aftertaste. A very very nice dubbel and one to easily get a bit intoxicated.

3.8/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy reddish brown, nie thick tan head forms, settles down into a nice layer, great lacing, great retention. Smell is sweet, berries, yeast, caramel, almost a burnt currant kind of aroma, real nice though. Taste is sweet, very fruity, some citrus, yeast, little bit of booze, pretty weak compared to the smell for me though. Mouthfeel is thin bodied with high carbonation, finishes dry, very attenuated.

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

Dark chestnut, a little hazy, with reddish highlights and a fine, light brown head. Bready and fruity aroma, some raisin, malt, and mild chocolate. Raisin and plum flavours to start, mild bitterness, then it finishes sweet and bready with a hint of alcohol warmth. Great texture, well-integrated and generous carbonation, medium bodied. This is very nice, sweeter than I expected, but not cloying at all. I'll definitely be picking more of this up.

4.14/5  rDev -0.7%

After always opting for Westmalle's tripel over anything else by the brewery, I finally popped the cap on their dubbel. The rocky, creamy head lasts awhile, and that's a great start. The color is a nearly-opaque caramel brown with copper tinting.

The aroma is utterly fantastic...and assertive as hell, considering I got a full whiff of it as it was held six inches from my nose. Rum-soaked raisins, brown sugar, cinnamon, plums, concord grapes, cocoa...an array of wonderful smells.

Flavor is slightly sweet, bringing brown sugar, dark fruits and a light cocoa dusting to the palate. The fruity element comes out stronger as it warms. This is one to drink just below room temperature, as the flavors become more pronounced as the chill comes off.

I'm bothered by the thin mouthfeel. The flavors have nothing to ride on for any length of time, it hits the mouth like water, and this isn't helped by the overly-carbonated body. So you get a weird war going on between the tingling and attenuation.

Excellent aroma, the flavors are quite nice too, but the mouthfeel is strange. I'll stick with the tripel. But it's still miles above the norm. Leave it to the monks.

4.48/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured this 11.2 oz. brown bottle dated 25/10/07 into a Westmalle chalice. Opaque reddish brown body looked a bit like prune juice. A finger of off white head faded completely (after some time).

Smelled mild. Sweet dried fruits. Raisins, prunes. Subtle.

Taste was very balanced. Figgy. Minor tartness counters the fruity sweetness. Wonderfully balanced, understated; not "too much" of any characteristic. Well hidden alcohol. Complex but not a challenge to drink.

Lively hops wake up the tongue, however, the texture is smooth, medium bodied and highly drinkable. Very nice. I will seek this one out again.

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Westmalle, Looks like it made it's way into the LCBO today since I haven't seen one of these since last Christmas. Anyways here this one goes.

This poured a beautiful dark brown, leaving a nice tan cloud on the top of the glass. Smell contains a bouquet of dried fruit and berries, prunes and figs. Quite nice. This is reflected in the flavors in this brew as well, slight aroma of dried fruit with a bitterness that subsides to a clean finish. Quite refreshing and abundantly carbonated. And for something with as high an ABV as this it is quite well hidden and therefore quite easy to drink.

Not the first Belgian Trappist ale I've had, not the first Dubbel either. This ranks as a good one and certainly worth a try.

3.01/5  rDev -27.8%

Holy moly, has this been in a hot warehouse too long? A big ol’ disappointment – the best part was the pour (frothy chestnut brown with a lacey ivory ring).

I had to sniff like a dog to get some weak malty Belgium candy cane. Taste was almost dead, dry and harsh. A small malt kick in the finish salvaged the brew from falling below average. Fuzzy and thin, I can’t believe this is the <standard> Westmalle.

I must travel to Belgium for a fresh sample.

3.71/5  rDev -11%

11.2oz bottle poured into a goblet. Best before 5/16/08

Opaque chestnut brown color with pleasant brownish head, little lacing.

Not much complexity in the aroma, malty, nice.

Mouthfell is good and creamy with lots of soft carbonation. Taste is certainly very good, solidly delicious dark ale. The main impression is perfect balance between malt, hop, alcohol, no element intrudes on any other. My first taste of Westmalle, I guess I was hoping for something a bit more interesting--I guess mainly because of the price, I feel like there are lots of other ales out there as enjoyable as this.

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

Had this beer at the Rathskellar in Indianapolis.

Appearance: Dark, with barely a lacing of head in the glass.

smell: very sweet smelling, Lots of bananas upfront, and dates.

taste: started with a sweet fruity taste met with a then complex mash of chocolate, and a dry taste of alchohol

mouthfeel: varied, started out smooth, but became grainy from the yeast at the bottom of the bottle.

drinkability: at 7% abv, you wouldn't know there is alchohol in it. I would have had several if it hadn't been for the drive home.

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into Chimay goblet. Served at room temperature.

A: Really huge, fluffy tan head on top of an inviting-looking dark, ruby-red beer. Head has great longevity.

S: Sweet malt, cherries, grapes, hint of chocolate.

T/M: Dry red wine grapeness up front, followed by a pronounced dried cherry flavor mixed with some figs, sweet malt, and a bit of dark chocolate. Finish has a light dryness and a subtle bitterness before a medicinal warming sort of washes over you. A really well-balanced Dubbel.

D: One of my all-time favorites. Just a remarkably flavorful, warming, comforting beer, especially on a cold/chilly day.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle