Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros

dmorgan310, Oct 16, 2013

Jcarter1221, Nov 10, 2013

Sludgeman, Sep 14, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Purchasing this beer I knew good things were to come. I wanted everything to be correct before enjoying ie. temperature, glassware, timing...ect. I got the temperature down, suitable glassware, and I knew that everything was perfect, the stars were aligned. I put my first crack into the year old seal and foam started going everywhere. I was in shock and, as fate would have it, standing over a carpet, therefore the bottle neck went into the mouth. It's a laughable setback, one that I'll surely remember.
BB 03/02/11

Appearance:
The beer poured a perfect 1 inch light tan head that stuck around for approximately 5 minutes. A dense 1cm head was constant after that, the beer is clearly well carbonated. I observe fine particulate matter floating around the depths of a deep brown ale. The beer gives off a cola brown held up to the light, lacing is observable. The beer breaths life into my evening, it's makes me quite anxious for what's to come!

Smell:
The beer is different than your average Belgian. A different recipe or yeast character created a beer with complexity and a truly unique ale for my olfactory interpretation. I get notes of a raisin fruitiness and yeast culture funkiness. I am now wondering what to expect with the taste, but certain of its drinkability.

Taste:
Super rich and earthy with more intense notes of the raisin, tobacco, fig, and keytone. This beer is excellently balanced with a semi-sweet first sip and slightly dry finish. The beer is thick like a loaf of bread, yet light and airy like a slice cut from that loaf. The bread comes out more as you approach the yeast cloudiness lurking below. I appreciate the subtle changes in flavor as you work your way down, it gives the beer a smooth earthiness characteristic.

Mouthfeel:
The beer feels like a typical Belgian ale, it has richness with adequate funk to keep your senses guessing. I am still guessing as to what I feel in the beer's initial fruit presentation, but a semi-dry finish keeps me coming back for more. Well balanced flavors with a lot of intricacies that make it a definite palate pleaser.

Drinkability:
I have not experienced a beer quite like this, it is different than other dubbels I've had yet possesses recurrent similarities that make it unmistakably Belgian. The beer would pair nicely with a variety of foods because it offers complexity yet balance and therefore would not detract heavily. I liked the beer at a slightly cooler temperature (45-50 degrees Fahrenheit recommended), but I wonder how room temperature would have suited.

ThePorterSorter, Dec 27, 2010

ceetee26, Oct 02, 2012

2neardead, Oct 20, 2012

Bottle into chalice.

Pours a a purplish-brown color, murky, with a thin, fluffy tan head that fades into a thin, creamy cap that lasts the entire beer.

Nose is light dark fruits and brown sugar, with some spicy yeast lending a light, doughy character to the smell. Just a hint of spicy alcohol lends some interesting depth.

Taste is intense - up front, you get a big, yeasty, doughy malt note full of dark fruit and some brown sugar, followed by a sweet, rich lingering dark fruit note that fades into a dry, slightly yeasty finish.

Mouthfeel is crisp, lightly scrubbing, with a fluffy mouthfeel and medium body.

JohnQVegas, Feb 10, 2009

paulish, Oct 15, 2014

muskiesman, Aug 21, 2014

poorbuthappy, Mar 19, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a 33cl bottle into my Rochefort chalice. It poured a deep, caramel brown color with a big frothy head filling half of the glass. Fantastic head retention and lacing as I drank it.

The aroma has a good amount of tart, crisp fruit to it. I get some very noticeable apple or apple juice like qualities along with some pear notes too. The Belgian yeast spice is very evident as well

The taste starts off with the Belgian yeast giving off a lot of clove, nutmeg and a little cinnamon spice. Midway the tart, apple juice like flavor really starts to come out. The crisp, tart fruits mix very nicely with the Belgian yeast spice.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and carbonation is about average for the style. The real draw of the mouthfeel is the thick and creamy head that you get on each sip. Overall it was a good beer, and a very good example of the style. Nice beer to sip on this evening.

billab914, Apr 22, 2011