Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev -10.6%

A: Beautiful dark nut brown with a 1 inch head. Dense in color and carbonation is hard to see.
S: Heavy cherry cola-ish.
T: Fairly full body, nutty, slightly planty and slightly sweet. Slightly bitter but mostly in the aftertaste. I can tell this is a very high quality beer, but I have to rate it 3.5 because I can't say I love the flavor. Reminds me of the Sam Smith nut brown ale.
M: Nice body, mild sting, slightly astringent aftertaste.
D: This is a very fine beer, I just wish I liked the flavor more.

sfprint, Mar 17, 2011

Bottle, served in a chimay goblet. Best before May 27, 2012

A - Dark coffee mahogany colour, with 1" dense head. Quickly dissipated, no lacing

S - Brown sugar, dark fruits. All very subtle.

T - Medium-high carbonation off the top, leading into fig, low percentage dark chocolate, a little burnt malt. Mild astringent/sour aftertaste which is not pleasing.

M - Full bodied, but not too thick. Clings to the mouth.

Because I really enjoy dark Belgians of all kinds, I feel the bottle I had must have been past it's prime, as it's very close to the best-before date on the bottle. I've never had it before now, but will give it another go if the opportunity arises.

Beelzebeer, May 20, 2012
3.73/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a dense, milk-chocolate brown color with a thinner head than I expected for a Trappist. The dry, champagne sweet aroma doesn't seem to have much of the dark fruit character I'd expect from the style and actually gives a hint of the moderate alcohol content. The taste is much truer to style, with flavors of raisins, sweet (rather than tart) cherries, and a caramel sweetness. The effervescence that seems common among Trappist beers mutes some of the flavor, but at the same time invigorates the liquid, helping it slip over the tongue with a silky drinkability. Overall, not my favorite Dubbel, but it is still unique and interesting.

devilben02, May 05, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a dark clowdy brown with a thick tan head that sticks around for a minute or two.

Smells of toasted rolls, dark malts, caramel and some dark fruits.

Tastes slightly sweet and malty up front with a fairly thin middle and a slightly sour dry finish. A little nut and chocolate in there as well. This beer was strong up front but didn't wow me in the middle. I wasn't as impressed with this brew as I thought I was going to be.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Goes down easily.

Easy to drink but I wouldn't put down the money for one again. Their tripel is far better.

dren, Aug 30, 2007
3.73/5  rDev -10.6%

Deep mahogany/cherry/railroad tie color. Thin head with minimal lacing. Little visible carbonation.

Not a huge aroma here - expecting a little more. A little malt - some of that (positive) "horse blanket" feel on the nose.

At first very shallow and disappointing, but as it warms and circulates the sweet malt rears its head. Almost a Czech pilsener bitterness on the aftertaste initially - not a bad thing but not what's expected. More malt shows up to balance bitterness and alcohol.

Carbonation is more prevalent on the mouth than via vision. Smooth - almost like a dark German lager or maybe a lighter Dopplebock in mouth feel?

Easily drinkable but not really what's expected. Interesting stuff.

IBUnit63, Feb 19, 2008
3.73/5  rDev -10.6%

This was a dark mahogany color with a large, persistent, light tan head. There was a lot of dark sediment at the bottom of the bottle. It has a great spicy, yeasty smell. The flavor is fruity and spicy. Good, but I was expecting better. The mouthfeel is a little thin for my taste. Drinkability is not great.

bigbubba, Dec 09, 2004
3.73/5  rDev -10.6%

We pour an opaque brew of dark amber brown. It holds a two finger head of big foamy bubbles, and takes a while to recede. Thick but spotty lacing appears around the glass. Carbonation looks minimal, and yeasty particles are noted throughout the bottom half of the glass, where a little light is allowed to penetrate. As we whiff, we detect a sweet aroma. It houses notes of butterscotch diacetyls, dark and salty malts, a bit of booze, sweet raw honey, red raisins, and earthy spice. Medicinal phenols also faintly dance around the nostrils. As we sip, there are full, darker malts up front, which mix with plastic, medicinal phenols. The middle sweetens out a bit, with what appears to be darker fruits, and more salty malt action. This is also where the alcohol starts to work its way in. This continues towards the finish, helping to transition into a bitter end, with a flash of soapy hops that quickly disappear down the back of the tongue. The aftertaste breathes mildly, with gentle malts, and a semi sweet bitterness. The body is light and the carbonation is light to medium. The beer is highly slurpable and creamily sippable, but the mouth is not coated as much as expected. The feel is actually a bit watery. The abv is nice, and you certainly feel it by the bottom of the glass. Drinkability is quite good, but hindered slightly by the alcohol content, if you're paying attention anyway.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this brew was its sweet, and subtly robust, aroma. The notes in the nose complexly blend together, to leave much to be desired in the taste. Here, it was a bit underwhelming, and the feel was surprisingly light. As you sip, however, it is quite creamy right off the edge of the glass, making you want to go back for another satisfying sip on the lips.

TheBrewo, Dec 30, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -10.6%

I enjoyed this one on a Sunday afternoon, from a large tulip glass. The color is a deep, mysterious chestnut brown, topped with an astounding, off white head. There’s not so much lacing, as a thick growth of foam trailing down the sides of the glass. The appearance of this brew is exceptional. The aroma is of sweet sugars, toasted malts, yeast, and spice. Taste is grain, ripe fruit, sugar, and malt. Esters and spice and sweetness…at times it seemed almost cola-like, a characteristic that I didn’t really enjoy. Full mouthfeel, with a creamy texture and only moderate carbonation. It’s a fine brew, but somehow not up to expectations.

Suds, Dec 20, 2004
3.72/5  rDev -10.8%

jubie921, Nov 02, 2014
3.72/5  rDev -10.8%

Marcos_Graziano001, Oct 14, 2014

Sample 1 of my tour of dubbels

330ml bottle

App: Dark brown with some ruby that is completely opaque. Huge frothy head.

Smell: Caramel, dark honey and berries, chocolate, and a touch of licorice.

Taste: Certainly something good going on here. Not overwhelming, but firm and full. Strong carbonation does cover some of the flavors present, but the taste is still good. Some fruitiness, some toast and husk. Ends dry and herbal, but a bit of the tobacco flavor I do not love.

Full body from the strong, tight carbonation. A bit rough going down. I do love high carbonation, but this stuff is intense.

emsroth, Nov 02, 2010

11.2oz bottle poured into a goblet. Best before 5/16/08

Opaque chestnut brown color with pleasant brownish head, little lacing.

Not much complexity in the aroma, malty, nice.

Mouthfell is good and creamy with lots of soft carbonation. Taste is certainly very good, solidly delicious dark ale. The main impression is perfect balance between malt, hop, alcohol, no element intrudes on any other. My first taste of Westmalle, I guess I was hoping for something a bit more interesting--I guess mainly because of the price, I feel like there are lots of other ales out there as enjoyable as this.

kenito799, Sep 19, 2006
3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

Picked this beer up last week. Outwardly, an ornate glass bottle and classic label.

Pours a beautiful cloudy amber, almost violet, color. A nice thick head, which levels out to a half an inch which lasts throughout the experience.
Excellent lacing throughout as well.

Very aromatic - scents of raisin and fig.

The flavor mirrors the aroma. Rich raisin and fig flavor with a touch of alcohol at the end, but not bad for the ABV.

The mouthfeel is full and the flavor remains in the mouth.

A very drinkable trappist.

plaid75, Apr 18, 2006
3.7/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy coca cola colour with a sparkling head that dies down pretty fast, looks pretty flat to be honest.

Smells lightly o raisins and fruit syrup, yeast esters come through with light hint o marzipan, but nothing very prominent.

Taste follow suit, with fruity yeast esters up front, some golden raisins and a hint of green .

Luxurious crisp and sparkling moth feel, mid-bodied and sot.

dqrull, Apr 24, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

I've been walking by this one for a few years now, so I figured I should pick one up and give it a shot. Review is from notes taken on 8/2/2011 and poured from the bottle to a tulip.

Appearance: Pour is a relatively dark coppery color with some nice ruby highlights; starts with a big 2 and 1/2 finger, dusty tan head with decent retention; body is dark, but fairly clear and it shows quick and slight carbonation bubbling up;

Smell: Not especially potent, but there are some nice dark fruits with a hint of citrus in there; some rich caramel notes as well; not too bad, but I do wish it was a bit stronger.

Taste: Definite presence of some Belgian Candi sugars right away, with a backing of dark, spicy fruits (raisins and figs); bit of a bitter and metallic presence along with some warming alcohol.

Mouthfeel: I feel the carbonation is a bit strong and it comes across sharp; body is a little lighter than I expected, and if it were thicker it may help tame the over abundant carbonation; a thin, dry coating is left of the roof of the mouth; belly is left warm from the alcohol and I eel that the carbonation helps that along.

Overall: Worth a shot, but I have to wonder if sitting for a couple of years may ease the sharpness of the body, which is easily my least favorite aspect of this beer.

bamadog, Aug 03, 2011

jkhara12, Sep 27, 2014
3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

I foud the Westmalle dubbel to be abit atypical for a dubbel. A noticable roasty-ness dominates the taste, the plumy-ness that I typically love was undetectable and the body seemed a little thin. While the Westmalle dubbel didn't really met my preconceived expectations of a dubbel it was still a very enjoyable beer.

wajacobs, Oct 29, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured dark ruby red with a barely controlled tan head despite a careful pour. The carbonation was initially off the hook, which worried me. But it seemed fine. Nice lacing.

Smells of cherry, straw, red licorice, and metal pipes.

Mouthfeel is slick with average carbonation (despite the initial craziness).

Taste is black pepper spicy, roasted malt, copper bitter, and grainy malts. I couldn't detect the higher abv.

Pretty good.

JustinBathurst, Jul 23, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

11/25/05 on label. Pours a bubbly raison brown. Aroma is like a Fig Newten and some raisins. Lots of dark brown particulate matter suspended amongst the aggressive carbonation. Taste is less sweet then most other well known dubbels but less complicated and interesting as well. It’s rather underwhelming but one strong point is the lively carbonation. That in combination with the moderated sweetness makes this one very drinkable.

DaPeculierDane, Feb 20, 2006
3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

A 750ml bottle with 07/03/09 over 07/03/07 stamped on the label. Poured into a goblet, it was a medium brown color with some red highlights. A small head that dissipated quickly. It had a faint aroma of fruit (I think banana) and caramel. The taste was similarly muted, but there was some nice bitterness at the end. This was a pretty good beer, but I was expecting a little bit more than I got.

lordofthewiens, Feb 20, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

A- Dark chocolate brown with light ruby hues. Small ring of foam and film after a conservative pour. I might should have poured it a little more swiftly to get some good head going, I have none.

S- Cherries! That is definitely the first and strongest aroma coming from this glass. I also catch some red grapes and plums. I can catch some vanilla very slightly and also a lemon scent there too.

T- Again, Cherries! This is almost like a cherry beer to me. That taste and smell overtakes me on this one. I also sense the same red grapes, red apples and a somewhat lime-like taste. Alcohol is present in the aftertaste.

M- Medium to high on carbonation. The general mouthfeel is nice and pleasant as far as the thickness of the brew goes.

D- A little too sweet to me. Not an overly drinkable beer because of the sweetness and richness.

Overall- Very good and enriched tastes and smells. However, that made it one dimensional to me. The overall taste and smell was cherries. If it added more complexity than this, I would be a bigger fan. This one didn't do that for me, but all in all was a nice offering.

MMAJYK, Dec 26, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Dark copper pour with ruby highlights. Off white, small, persistent head.
Aroma is amazing - sweet plums and red apples, some cloves, cinnamon, sweet caramel malt and a hint of chocolate.
Flavours are not as diverse - complex roasted malts with chocolate notes and some noticeable alcohol. Quite sweet up front but finishes rather dry.
Too much carbonation detracts from flavour! Otherwise quite enjoyable!

CrazyDavros, Jun 04, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured this one into my Duvel tulip glass. Nice eruption of fizzy head that settles into a creamy tan 1/4" thick layer on top of the dark brown beer. The nose is rather floral not showing much sign of sweetness, but it is still very much a complex aroma. The first taste is a quick burst of alcohol flavor and a slight bitter ending. I am drinking this at room temperature. After a few more sips it turns into a very warming beer. Not the sweet and rich flavor of several of the dubbels I've had before, but more of a subtle complexity. The mouthfeel is slightly handicapped by the alcohol taste. This is a very odd beer, very mellow yet bold. Very drinkable although it's no good on the wallet. Overall, this beer wasn't as great as I thought it would be. I will have to try a tripel of theirs, I have read that it is much more impressive.

Rudgers73, Jan 26, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours dark brown with a light beige head. Has a nice sweet plum/raisin aroma. The spiced fruity flavor is coupled with wonderful abbey yeast compliments you would expect from this brewery. The body was very smooth and went down far too easy. Left me wanting another.

scbrew, Jun 22, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours a dark brown with a few reddish highlights. Off white head and good lacing. Smell is dark plums and raisins with a good amount of caramel and dark sugars. Taste is a bit less unrefined, with the yeast characteristics not coming through nearly as much. More of a bready-type flavor. Mouthfeel is fairly full and rich. Drinkability is okay; not nearly as impressive as their tripel.

Thorpe429, Sep 24, 2010