Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros

producerchris82, Jan 21, 2013

cheefdaddy1, Feb 21, 2013

Luchman, Dec 19, 2011

Vsarmatov, Feb 22, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

Purchased a bottle for roughly 2€.

Nice murky brown colour (a bit too murky in my opinion) topped with a beautiful tan head that stays around for awhile.

A quite nice smell and somehow complex getting some of the yeast and a bit fruit.
The taste is, together with the drinkability, what makes this beer a difficult one to make one's tatse buds to it. Way too carbonated even for a Belgian brew, I shall give it a try leaving it at least a couple of months in the cellar; that's why it is that high my overall grade.

Acho, Feb 04, 2012

Dreizhen, Jul 04, 2014

BartMcStout, Jan 18, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from a best before 04/14/11 11.2 oz bottle into a Chimay chalice.
A- Poured dark brown/red color. One previous reviewer mentioned garnet and I guess that is pretty close, all though I felt it was a bit more on the brown side. Two finger brown head that quickly died down. Nice active carbonation around the edge of the glass.

S- Very light. Bread when I opened the bottle. Faint raisin and alcohol.

T- Starts off with a really subdued, almost hidden sweetness followed by mild hops with a bready, faintly citrus aftertaste. I kept getting a sour/vinegar taste and smell which was slightly off-putting, but not enough for me to stop drinking. The bread was the most distinct note out of the range of flavors to me, but I would not say it dominated.

M- Nice medium body with incredibly active small bubbled carbonation. Creamy too, which was nice. Maybe a hint of dryness, but overall I did not notice this in the beer much. The carbonation was what stood out to me most; in a pleasant way.

D- I split the small bottle with someone which left me wanting more of this. I liked it, but I was expecting something a bit more flavorful. Well balanced, though. I dropped the drinkability a bit because of the vinegar taste I detected, but I would probably try it again.

misinformed, May 31, 2010

Hayley_86, Jul 28, 2014

jordanimal, Sep 24, 2014

ihmurria, Mar 04, 2013
3.48/5  rDev -16.5%

11.2 oz bottle. Pours a murky, non-translucent brown with a massive tan head that is mostly diminishing. Aroma of dark fruit, mostly raisin, some yeast and alcohol. Initial flavor of apple and grape with more dark fruits coming in later. Light body, moderate carbonation, slight alcohol presence, and some lacing. Ok beer, worth a try.

joekfsu, Jan 16, 2008

Drank from an 11.2 fl. oz. bottle at The Squealing Pig, Boston, MA

Poured a dark brown/black with ruby highlights when held to the light. A thin, foamy, caramel-colored head developed and lasted for most of the drink. There was no lacing whatsoever.

The aroma was surprisingly faint. Subtle notes of a powdery, Belgian yeastiness were detectable along with a slight mustiness.

The taste was dark and rich, yet a bit more dry than a typical Belgian dubbel. Dark malts and Belgian yeast came through up front, along with a slight metallic tinge. Strong notes of burnt raisins, prunes, currants, spices and a deep, oaky quality appeared as the beer moved along the palate. The finish was moderately hoppy and dry with a slight alcohol kick.

The mouthfeel was disappointing thin and excessively fizzy. All I could feel on my tongue was light, airy froth.

I was somewhat disappointed with this dubbel. Aside from the faint aroma and thin mouthfeel, it lacked both complexity and smoothness.

Damian, Jul 21, 2007

330 ml bottle from the LCBO

Pours deep amber with a somewhat fizzy tan head. Very nice looking but a lck of head retention lost it some points.

Aromas are very typical of the style but smaller and more subtle then some of the better examples. I like the aroma I just wish it was bigger.

The flavour is similar to the aroma. Everything that should be there in a good dubble is but I find this somehow lacking.

The mouthfeel is a little rough and one thing I really like about dubbles is the soft subtle complexity but this one is rough and brash.

This is a nice brew but I think it will do better with some time in the cellar. Ill review in a year.

matt7215, Nov 03, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -16.5%

Appearance: A deep carmelly red/brown with a big-ass foamy, frothy, sticky off-white head. A hurricane of fine carbonation is billowing up from the Duvel "D". Leaves a root beer-esque curtain of foam on the glass wall. That's about as good as it gets in my book.

Smell: OK, after blowing my sinuses out of my head, I now detect a tart, fruity ambrosial stew with the usual clove and pepper yeast.

Taste/Mouthfeel: A bit of a disappointment -- dry and mild. Pleasant enough; it's fruity up front, spicy and bready mid, and finishes peppery in the finish -- with some numbing clove -- but it's not the life-changer I'd hoped for. Mouthfeel is OK, thin and crisp, no more, no less.

Drinkability: It's five times the price of New Belgium's version, which I think blows it away. You tell me.

WetCoaster, Apr 28, 2005

Reviewed 2/16/2006 (330mL bottle):

Pours a dark brown/black colored body, with a medium sized tan head, that is lasting. Has an aroma of some malts, molasses, perfume, and flowers. A taste of malts, perfume, and alcohol. An aftertaste of perfume & alcohol. Very Belgiany.

jujubeast6000, Dec 13, 2008