Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was poured from a 330ml bottle inte a Westmalle chalice.The appearance was a reddish brown color with a tan head that quicly dissappears.The aromas were malty and slightly sweet and those smell were reflected in the taste as well.This Trappist beer was not as full as some of the other ones and while I personally thought this beer was ok,I do not believe it as good as the other ones like Chimay or Orval.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Medium to dark brown. Very thick, beige head.

S: Sugar and malt, but nothing too specific.

T: Sweet, malty. Somewhat earthy. Roasted caramel develops as you drink.

M: Foamy and over-carbonated.

D: Not overly heavy. Complex enough to not be boring, but I wasn't as impressed as I've heard.

Maybe I was let down after hearing such great things about this beer. It's a good, solid selection, but I didn't think it was one of the best beers I've had.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2oz. bottle served in my Maudite tulip. 14/07/11 indicated on the back label. Pours a hazy plum with a two-inch, frothy, cream-colored head. Head eventually collapses into a solid quarter in cap with thick swaths of lacing coating the sides of the glass as the brew recedes and with each tilt of the glass. Nose is fairly subdued - malt, spice, a faint suggestion of prunes and some phenols. Taste follows nose, but extremely watered down. There's also a slightly bready quality and some herbal bitterness that lightly lingers between quaffs. I have to say that I was expecting more. Mouthfeel is medium-light, with a fairly assertive carbonation. While I really enjoyed the tripel, I have to say that the dubbel left a lot to be desired. A bit disappointing and not worth the $6.99 pricetag. A fairly lackluster dubbel in my opinion.

3.53/5  rDev -15.3%

Very awesome looking brew here. Nice 3 finger head that never disappates, leaving lacing down the tulip. Almost strange for a dubbel, has a very chocolately(light) taste to it. It is short in my opinion as compared to other dubbels I have had. A good brew, just will not seek it out, many other better dubbels less expensive.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The Westmalle Dubbel poured a brown red with a strong huge 3 finger head. The smell was a fruity sour with some brown sugar in the background.

The taste was a smooth malt with a apple bitterness that hit you right away. It was pretty dry with a wet finish on the lips. It was a tad hit hot alcohol wise and it really shouldn't have been with a 7% abv. Overall I thought it was average and maybe this was a poor batch.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured a hazy reddish dark red with a one finger beige cap.

S: Yeast, mild brown sugar and light whiff of dark fruit

T: A little bit of spice, dark fruit, yeast, and and light candy. Not so much flavor on this. Sordove plain.

M: Medium body and mild carbonation. Sweet, dry finish.

O: Good DUbbel but nothing Earthshattering but maybe I am missing something here

3.53/5  rDev -15.3%

11.2 oz bottle with a "best by" date of September 29, 2012. This one was allowed to warm a bit before being poured into my Duvel tulip.

Westmalle Dubbel pours a typical dark purple/brown. Ruby red highlights shine through with some exuberance when the beer is held to light. The light tan colored foam maxes out at over four fingers in height, and shows some solid retention. Lacing isn't nearly as widespread as it should be though. The nose doesn't have quite the amount dark fruits than I'd like, and the result is an aroma that's a little too phenol heavy to really appeal to me. The flavor has a similar dark fruit deficiency, but unlike the nose it's at least replaced somewhat by a toffee note. The clove, spicy phenol notes on the back end are intense, and threaten to overwhelm the beer. The mouthfeel at least has the excellence I've come to expect from trappist beers. The body is beguilingly light for a beer with a definite sweetness in its flavor profile. At the same time the carbonation, even at the bottom of the glass, is active enough to give the beer a vibrant energy. Westmalle Dubbel is a solidly brewed beer, I'm just not a huge fan of the fruity ester vs phenols balance in this one.

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from a caged and corked 750 into a chalice.

A-First pour is an extremely attractive cherry cola color with a one finger tan head that settles rapidly into nothingness. Great color, but a rather flat looking beer.

S-Sweet licorice malts, caramel and a hint of sourness and alcohol

T-Unexpectedly sour, slightly fruity with licorice malts. Not nearly as tasty as I had hoped. Things get a little more interesting at the bottom of the bottle as the yeast pours in, but the increasingly noticeable metallic aftertaste is also present.

M-Fairly decent, a little lighter that I thought, and slightly light on the carbonation

D-This is fairly drinkable, but there are many other Belgians and Belgian copies that I would rather drink.

I'll try this again to see if I like it better, obviously many do, but this just didn't do it for me. Not that it was bad, I just expected much more.

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

Dark brown in hue with a tawny-ruby influence, I could see a few chunks of yeast floating in the liquid, oops! Still I’d say the beer is largely clear. The head is off-white in color, almost beige, at the apex the head reached one finger in height and it quickly faded to a half finger cap, this remained for the entire consumption. Impressive. Subsequent lacing was splotchy and it clung poorly. Still this is a good-looking beer, largely because the head held like cement. The nose is very enjoyable, the potency isn’t as loud as I’d like but I’m picky. The aromas included a fantastic malty base, rich and chocolately like a cookie. Nutty. Toffee. If this was all the bouquet offered I’d be happy. But I’m elated because there is a hell of a lot of fruity aromas! Including cherries, dates, raisins, grapes (yes, there is a difference between raisins and grapes), apples infused with figs, coriander and brandy. Nice! As a whole, the nose is a malty harvest! The palate doesn’t live up the nose. It’s not close really. The bouquet told me, “big, malty backbone… rich, flavorful.” It was not. I found the malt to be thin and not that flavorful. Sure, it is good but not that yummy. The alcohol is a little too naked as well; this hurts the fruity qualities, which is a shame. I can find some nuttiness, bitter chocolate that is not very rich. There is some astringency that is vague and aimless, it can’t find a partner to dance with. Clovey. Fruitiness is a mix of bananas with a very weak kiss of grapes and apples. On the whole the palate is good but nothing more, it lacks pizzazz for one thing but the weakness of the malt is really disappointing. For a Dubbel it is average, decent. The mouthfeel is too thin. Again more malt please. Medium-light in body with zesty carbonation, the bubbles feel small but active. This aspect of this beer is satisfactory. I don’t really care for the tacky aftertaste. Sure this beer is drinkable; I found it quite pleasant and enjoyable. I have to mention a bottle in Omaha runs $5.00. With that in mind, it is not *that* drinkable! I can buy a six-pack of New Belgium’s (much tastier) Dubbel for $6.50. It is a no-brainer as to what beer I’d select in the future. Bottom line, it is a good beer but nothing special and nothing I think I will seek out again (unless it is much cheaper at John’s in Iowa City).

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

Persistent beige head sits atop a ruddy, lightly hazy brown brew. Loose lace is left. The aroma is dominated by milk chocolate and dark caramel sweetness complemented by surprisingly light banana fruity esters. Slight sour apple tartness eeks into the end of the aroma. Flavorwise, nutty malt and prune like fruitiness quickly yield to dark, raisiny Special B and mellow chocolate malt. Sweetness is akin to diluted molasses and is well controlled, not overbearing, but is somewhat one dimensional. Light on the palate all around, smooth in mouthfeel and highly drinkable. Mild banana ester reemerge in the otherwise neutral and slightly watery finish. Westmalle's Double is surprisingly understated and shy in malt and yeast character, but is nonethless very well balanced and highly drinkable.

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle