Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros

Best by 2/3/12

A - Pours a deep mahogany with some suspended material and almost two fingers of tan head. Head has outstanding retention and leaves rings of lacing.

S - Caramel, candi sugar and dark fruit aromas, with raisin, fig and maybe a bit of cherry. Also has a decent bread aroma.

T - Starts off a bit sweet, with caramel, fruit and candi sugar, but a yeast spiciness soon takes over. Some bread malt near the finish and another shot of spiciness on the finish.

M - Medium mouthfeel with lively carbonation and a dry spicy finish.

O - Very good overall. Not too sweet with a nice bread and spice presence.

warnerry, Mar 11, 2012

Jcru33, Aug 07, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

330ml bottle poured into a goblet. Best before 13/10/13.

A: Had to slow my roll with this pour to ensure that I got some actual beer. Dark brown body sits beneath a pillowy two-finger head.

S: Oh yeah...wonderful. Caramel, dark fruit (raisin, plum, fig), light fruit (mostly pear and apple). There’s also a solvent characteristic. Each swirl of the glass gives off more effervescent aromas.

T: Like candy. Dominated by really nice dark fruits...mostly plum but also red grape stands out. Esters and bready notes from the yeast also major players. Caramel wasn’t as prominent as other dubbels I’ve had. Finishes with a pleasant tannic dryness.

M: High drinkability just for the fact that I kept wanting more despite its complexity. A velvet creamy beer with soft carbonation.

O: Completely satisfying. To be honest, this is beyond my palate but I did my best. I used to avoid dubbels but it has rapidly become one of my favorite styles. I don’t know if I was drinking the wrong ones or just not paying attention, but I plan to investigate further.

mjtiernan, Aug 15, 2012

chickenm, Nov 19, 2011
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a crystal goblet. Pours a deep chestunt color with a light brown frothy head that rises up and settles back down quickly.

Inviting aroma of brown sugar and raisin, some cocoa and fig, accented with toffee and ripe fruit.

Flavor of sharp espresso accented with cocoa and currant, some pepper spice, smoke and leather. Also notes of molasses, fig, and caramel punctuated with raisin and oak. Lots of flavors moving in and out.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, moderate carbonation, but manages to finish bubbly and tingly. Very drinkable, really good beer.

far333, Jun 29, 2008

ste5venla, Nov 04, 2013

ExpendableCrewman, Nov 22, 2013

djl9701, Nov 11, 2012

BamfBacon, Feb 16, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a dark, almost burgundy, with impressive head. Thick and detailed lace, too. Very nice. I get some sediment, as well, but no points lost for that.

Nose is fruity and yeasty, with hints of sour berries. Quite appealing.

Taste is fruity and yeasty (dark fruit, berries), and even a tad sour. A little funky and musty, too. Superb, and wish these were more widely available and a little more inexpensive. As it is, a treat!

secondtooth, Dec 18, 2011

adamcthomp, May 10, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a ruby-brown color with a huge beige head. Excellent head retention leads to excellent lacing down the glass. Nose includes hints of sweet malt, spices and chocolate. Notes of the sweet malt, very subdued hops, yeast and raisins introduce themselves to the palate. This is a very well balanced dubbel, perhaps the best I've tried so far. The alcohol is definitely there, but hard to pinpoint. Definitely worth seeking out.

Jon, Jun 14, 2003

beer64nut, Mar 15, 2013

jheezee, Jun 26, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Forgot where I bought this from but it is a 11.2oz bottle.

Poured into my chimay goblet. Pours a very dark brown with a very nice looking head that is very light tan in color. Looks nice in the glass.

Smell gets a low score since I can't smell anything. I don't have a cold and I'm pretty sure my sense of smell is working fine. Don't know why I can't smell anything.

Taste is great. An awesome double. Not quite as good as my favorite double (Rochefort 6) but still very good. A spicy flavour that reminds me a little of abt 12 but with the malt character of a rochefort 6. Toffee and spices dominate the palate. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel is great with good carbonation and smoothness of a good trapist beer.

Drinkability is high and I could suck back a fee of these no problem in one sitting.

PeprSprYoFace, Jun 07, 2008

tenacioustomato, Mar 23, 2012

Acubflem, Jul 18, 2014

Hardcore, Dec 30, 2012

Seaba, Feb 26, 2013

Stugotzo, May 31, 2013

leinie13, Mar 03, 2013
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This bottle is sweet! I am keeping this for my own homebrews! NIce suttleness with decoration but not too outlandish.

Poured a ruby red with a small caramel head. Nice swirling effect as the head reforms thick and clingy. Smells of chocolate with deep roasted malt. Some hints of fruit, citrus I think. Taste is chocolatey malt with anice bitterness. Warming as it goes down. Very well hidden alcohol level, but I think I would enjoy a little more feeling. Thin mouthfeel goes down easy. I wish I had more than one of these. Looks like another trip to Ohio!

stouty1, Sep 30, 2006