Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,158 | Hads: 2,478

Westmalle Dubbel (AGED: circa 1980s) (Rating 9.5/10) - 6.5 ABV - 16 August 2007

2 days ago I had a Westmalle Dubbel which appears to be from the 90s and I felt that it was past its prime but perhaps that may not be the case. More important would be how the beer had aged over time. This Dubbel from the 80s (or maybe 90s?) had no label on the bottle;
in place was a extrusion of the "ABDU WESTMALLE" text. There was also no sludge and no sediments during the pour at all. The only sign of age is the little "ring" on the bottle neck where the beer level is before pouring. The underside of the cap was intact; the one I had 2 days ago had slight rust though not in the main area of the cap but still it was not looking too good. This aged Westmalle poured out dark ruby brown like any Westmalle Dubbel but without any head; all that was present was a nice ring lacing; no sediments at all. It smells of strong fruits (mainly plums and raisins) and also the typical Westmalle smell. It tasted strongly of plums, raisins and very subtle yeastiness and very slight bitterness on the finish. The entry had a certain alcohol strength which I could fully appreciate and it was backed with a strong dark fruity entry as well. The body was not as thick as I would have liked but this entry
strength as well as the very apt level of carbonation topped things out and it is not thin nor even the slightest watered down which was what I felt about the 1990s vintage which I tried 2 days ago. It was very smooth as well and I really enjoyed it. The after taste was lasting; way more lasting than the one I had 2 days ago and the fruits involved are again typical of the Westmalle Dubbel: Plums, dark grapes, Raisins and maybe other dark fruits like dates, etc; very fruity and tasty. Of course the entire package is all mellow and pleasant but not detracting from the strength and character that is of essence for a trappist ale. I think this
beer held up very well over the years and I can really appreciate it. Proper aging is of essence; seems to me the 90s vintage I had 2 days ago was badly aged.

Westmalle Dubbel (AGED: circa 1990s) (Rating 9/10) - 6.5 ABV - 14 August 2007

This is an aged Westmalle Dubbel, with the older cap as well; this is probably my first old beer. I estimate that it is from the 90s but I am not too sure. The bottle was a little hard to crack and when I got it off I immediately smell a strong fruity aroma comprising of dark fruits like plums, grapes, etc. The pour left a slightly less than 1 finger stable creamy head which stayed for quite a bit. The smell was a very strong fruity smell and so was the taste but it was not as strong as I would expect it to be. Fruity notes like plums and grapes are definitely more pronounced with its age and the yeasty notes on the finish were really light and subtle. The taste is very mellow and soothing and generally very identifiable as the Westmalle taste from my previous experiences with the Westmalle Dubbel. I think the fruitiness may be a little stronger than the 2003 or 2004 vintage version that I had but in terms of mouthfeel it seems to be falling short as the body has became thin and is probably between medium to light body which makes it feel a little watered down. Had the body been thicker, it would probably have been lovely but I guess at this age, this Westmalle may be a little past its prime but I
am not really sure, to be honest. The after taste was strong and fairly lasting but not as lasting as I would like it to be. Something that made me feel a little uncomfortable was the sludge that formed in the bottle itself along with the sediment flakes. I had the flakes scooped up before I drank the beer. I guess it is normal to have these flakes around specially at that age but I guess I would do without it. :)

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

On tap at Stoffel in Tilburg, Netherlands. Served into Westmalle chalice. Ruby in color, pinky of foam. Thick, soapy lacing. Aroma is sweet with malts, dominated by raisin and molasses. Taste follows suit. Blends together many complex flavors and notes. Very easy to drink. An all time classic.

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

It took me more then a year to get this beer (and the Tripel) here in central Montana, finally got the local distributor to deliver. Maybe other places one can go out to the local store and get one, but not here. So here we go.

My first one that I tried, foamed out over my counter, ended up with about 5 ounces of drinkable beer (clearly mishandled). The second one however poured perfectly into my Chalice.

Good head, fairly dark, in appearance not that spectacular but good. Smell was exceptional. Taste was nothing else I have tasted, smooth but complex. Nothing short of incredible, worth the wait. I would give up sex to drink this beer.

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

A: poured into a triple goblet glass with a hard pour at 40F, got a little head, and its lacing stuck to the walls and is lasting a long while.
Brown in color with some cloudiness because I poured it yeast and all.

S:plum like grapes, some leather overtones. sweet malt, rock candy
like, no hops, mild alchol hits the nose as it warms up

T: very rich and complex plum flavor, with rock candy sweetness, you get the malt and yeast falvors, little or no hops, but its nice and balanced out. not to sweet but it is a dubbel.

M: creamy, medium body, nice carbonation

D: easy to drink but the abv does sneak up on yea.

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

The bottle says 7% ABV and is good until 8/19/05. Of course, it won't survive until then... ;-)

Pours out to an explosive head that threatened to overflow like a volcano into a reddish, almost mahogany color in the glass. The head is a light brown and is looks good enough to eat. The aroma is light with a fruit smell present. What a fantastic taste. The spice level is just right, with plums, raisins and malt coming to the forefront with just a twinge of spice. The yeast used must be interesting, indeed. Not as strong or "heavy" as I was expecting, but seeing as its 7% ABV and not 9 or 10+ tells me why, which leads to its incredible drinkability.

World class.

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured from a bottle into an Orval chalice.

Appearance - very deep brown, mahogany I guess. Nice tan head, stuck around a little while.

Smell - boozy, caramel, dark fruit. Just what you would expect.

Taste - fabulous. You taste the alchocol but surrounding it is a harvest of other flavors, dark fruit, caramel.

Mouthfeel - exceptional. Carbonation perfected.

Drinkability - at 7% I am about done with one but could go on forever if possible.

A fantastic beer like all Trappist ales.

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

Brown in color with some cloudiness because I poured it yeast and all.

S: plum like grapes, some leather overtones. sweet malt, rock candy sweetness, great balance with the hops, mild alcohol hits the nose as it warms up. Very complex what can you say its a Trappist they are all complex beers.

T: very rich and complex plum flavor, with rock candy sweetness, you get the malt and yeast flavors, great hop to malt balance, but none of them overpower the beer as it should be. not to sweet but it is a Dubbel. Great stuff

M: smooth and creamy, medium body, nice carbonation

D: easy to drink 3 or 4 of these but you will be a tad tipsy at the end, at least I was.

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

This is a remarkable beer, darker than I would normally expect a Dubbel to be, but with a lot to show for it. I guess let me talk about where I took off points, The appearance was a bit too cloudy for what I've come to expect. While the smell was good but slightly muted.

But the taste is wonderful with cocao and coffee notes, but not nearly as over bearing as Stouts and Porters usually are with those flavors. With an amazingly creamy mouth feel, and no off notes anywhere in my experience with the beer. Absolutely wonderful.

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

It's a runoff between the Westie and the St. Bernardus Abt 12 in my book, but I think the Westie eeks out ahead. It is perfectly balanced, with subtle fruit tones in the bouquet. Unlike Corsendonk's wine-like aftertaste, the Westmalle leaves you savoring its complexity and wanting more. Be sure to air it out, as it gains more character just below cellar temp. Also, be sure to serve it in the proper glassware... presentation and aroma are everything with a beer this good. Definately a cost-wise alternative to Abbaye des Rocs' offerings.

330ml bottle into snifter. "best before: 26/06/16", poured on january 29, 2015

a: a really beautiful opaque ruby with a finger of light brown or dark tan head

s: really vibrant maraschino cherry, black cherry, raisin, and date up front, followed by rich brown sugar. mild spicy banana-y yeast presence under all the dark fruit and malt notes. KO aroma

t: follows the nose. in the front is an explosion of brown sugar and all the aforementioned dark fruits. mid-palate carries the brown sugar and adds notes of fresh dark bread. a light-to-moderate herbal, leafy bitterness closes the tasting, with malt flavours lingering shyly

m: excellent medium-bodied and easy-going with medium-to-high carbonation

o: what an incredible beer. such massive aromas and flavours. the carbonation could be toned down a notch, but it's not like it's offensive the way it is

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured from a 33cl bottle into a goblet.

A - Has a dark brown, ruby red color with an eggshell color 2 finger head. Lots of bubbles streaming from the bottom.

S - Dark fruits and cherries with yeasty, bread notes. Some fig, cloves, and toffee detected. Alcohol is in there too.

T - A slight hop bitterness on the front, The middle is all plum, raisins, cherries, figs, and yeast. Blends together beautifully. The back has a slight alcohol burn with a red wine dryness.

M - Medium mouthfeel, that is very creamy. Carbonation is very good due to bottle conditioning.

Overall, a trappist monastery in Belgium shines again. This is one of my new favorites for the style. Second behind Rochefort 8 for me. Haven't had Westy 8 to compare so this is second in my book.

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

Of all the Belgium beers I have tried I would say this is probably my favourite. Even on a recent trip to brugge I tried the much heralded Westvleteren 12 and preferred this beer. There are some superb beers in Belgium but this is one hits the spot.

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

Pours hazy reddish brown with a tan head that retains well. Plenty of lacing is left on the glass. The aroma is sweet and of chocolate and maybe a bit of fig. The first sip feels creamy. I pick up flavors of roasted malts, sugar and fig. The finish is a bit dry and there's a mild spiciness to it. The flavor profile is well balanced. It's not too sweet. It's not too dry. The carbonation is definitely present, but it's not overwhelming. This hides its alcohol content very well and the mouthfeel is medium. Overall, this is an excellent beer.

4.84/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

The beer pours is very cloudy brown body and a nice tan head

The smell is of orange marmalade and Clay

The taste is smooth chalky earthy with some nice malt and fruit

Very will carbonated and somewhat full

A wonderful beer well-crafted and keeping with its style very enjoyable for flavor yet thirst quenching

Served in my Westmalle chalice:

Appearance: A dark brown liquid with a dark ruby tint throughout when held to the light is noticed, along with a beautiful dark creamed coffee head that stacked up to about three fingers to finally settle at a quarter inch floating on top.It left a minimal amount of laceing behind as well.

Smell: The aromas are just simplely magnificent. A not too overpowering Belgian yeast is present along with some wild cherries/lambic kriek notes,a caramel and syrupy malt, the alcohol lets itself be known as well.

Taste: That lambic kriek flavor mixed with the typical Belgian yeasts and a nice caramel/toffee malt makes this beer a very eligant delight. A hop bitterness is subtle, I think it counter acts the sweetness,that the malts produce, to make this brew superb. There is a strong alcohol finish as well.

Mouthfeel: The feel is one of a kind. High in carbonation,which in my own opinion makes this one of my favorite Begian beers. Medium bodied, slick oily substance that leaves with a nice bubbley finish.

Drinkability: This is definitely my favorite Belgian beer. I have had this beer with many different foods and it always seems to go with everything quite nicely. I look forward to purchasing this one again soon.I f you haven't had this,it's a must try.Thumbs up,Westmalle!!

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

100th beer Ive tried and reviewed.Heres to 100 more.Poured into the proper Westalle Trappist chalice.

Brownish/red body with a off white head.Bubbles streaming to the top.

Candy sugar and some dark fruits hit my nose.

Fruity taste,it almost taste like juice.It taste very lively.Malt hits ya at the end of the sip.

Carbonation is really good and not overly aggressive.The alcohol is warming and soothing.Like drinking a really good Vick vaper rub.In a good way though.

Im glad I tried this stuff and I will seek it out again in the future for a special occasion.God im glad the monks like to make bier.

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Westmalle Dubbel has a thick, fizzy, beige head, and a dark, red-brown appearance, with lots of bubbles and nice lacing left behind. The appearance is not too hazy, until one swishes the bottom contents and pours in the sediment. The aroma is rich, fruity, candy-like, malty, and winy. The taste is sweet, fruity, herby, and somewhat bitter. Dark fruits abound with this. Mouthfeel is medium and not really thick, and Westmalle Dubbel finishes mostly dry, fruity, and even refreshing. The drinkability is pretty easy with this one. Overall, this is an outstanding beer.

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

Westmalle Double pours a hazy medium brown with a light brown head. I smell sweet raisin as well as other dark and tropical fruit with hints of dark chocolate and caramel. There is a bit of a sweet, vinous character. Some light alcohol comes through, but it might be because I practically submerged my nose in the Westvleteren chalice. The flavor is heavenly with sweet esters upfront and leading into earthy, slightly vinous character. Some dry dark chocolate comes through along with some caramel leading into a dry, slightly bitter finish. Herbal hops with a bit of sharp alcohol and phenolic flavor linger after the beer is gone.

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

After recently acquiring a job bartending at a Belgian Bar in New York, I have been delighted with my exposure to new beers and with a full immersion of the Belgian styles. I have since taken a new favorite, Westmalle Dubbel. Everything about this beer is amazing. I love the mouthfeel and could drink this beer alone, with food, on a cold day, or in an alley and I would be happy. I feel that the carbonation combined with the subtle notes of chocolate and malt just make an explosion of flavor that surprised me the first time I drank one. I was a huge fan of the Triple and randomly tried the Dubbel and soon found a new favorite. The proper pour in the proper glass just gives me a happy feeling every time I return to it. Combine this with the traditional Belgian Carbonnades Flammandes for an exceptional dinner.

4.86/5  rDev +17.1%

PRESENTATION: 750mL corked and caged bottle, brown glass. Price: $10.99. Bottled 09/30/10, best by 09/30/12, drank on 10/02/12. The plastic cork is hard as hell to get out of the bottle; I fumbled with it for about 5 minutes, probably bruising my thumbs in the process, and I was sober. Bought from the local package store that hosts beer tastings all the time, and has a massive selection of craft beers and imports. Thank you to Blacklick Wine and Spirits in Columbus, OH.

APPEARANCE: pours nicely in to a large lowball glass (my own choice - I think these styles shine in the straight-sided, wide glasses - dark brown (not black, nowhere near a stout or porter) with strong red ruby highlights when held to the light. Looks like a cola, from what I remember. I don't touch cola, nor anything caffeinated. I stick with alcohol. Darkness hides sediment well.

With a gentle pour, there is little head, but what head is there sticks around. With a vigorous pour, there is a one-and-one-half finger to two-finger head, which dissipates rather quickly while leaving the same ring of head as a gentle pour. It laces the glass decently, but not as well as the Westmalle Tripel I had the other day.

It is quite cloudy from yeast, with a bit of yeast particles congregating or flocculating at the bottom of the glass after the liquid is downed.

SMELL: very nice aroma, a bit boozy, with strong hints - more like already-solved puzzles - of berries, especially blackberry and currant (and red gooseberry and raisin and raspberry[?]). Esters. Like booze-soaked raisins and currants. Almost like a very watered down Sailor Jerry's without the cherry - and I love me some o' the ol' Sailor. It's an excellent smell for the style, but is a little alcoholic, and a bit low on the caramel-like smells that I feel should emanate therefrom; it has no smell of spice which emanates from Rocheforts, and which I have grown to dislike. This smell is almost a five.

MOUTHFEEL: high carbonation for the style, I think (although I've had few Dubbels, and "dark beer" generally is my preference, I've had many Tripels, Belgian Strong Dark and Pale Ales, and Quads), with a somewhat dry astringency on the palate, starting off bubbly, with notes of brut champagne - both in the carbonation and in the flavor itself. It is, according to my preference, a most smooth libation. The carbonation is excellent, but the body is a bit weak in comparison to it; this is a little thinner than I would prefer - although I may be reading too much stout in to this Dubbel - so I subtract 0.5 points.

TASTE: not so much like the aroma. There is no taste of alcohol in this beer - not like the aroma and the 7% ABV would suggest - just an excellent, fruity, brut-champagne-like flavor - that's right, it's fruity without being sweet. Although there seems to be, on some sips, a hint of sweetness, I can't pin it down. There are notable components of yeast, although this yeast lends no "bready" flavor to the beer, contra most other reviewers: I can taste the bread in Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout: I can not taste the bread in this. It is on the rich side for the thin mouthfeel. There is a pronounced, while subtle, grape character: if I did not know otherwise, I would Christen this a "barleywine", as it has more characteristics in common with certain grape-based drinks than any exemplar of that style which hath ever crossed my palate. Not exceedingly complex, but not simple; it is quite drinkable, but not a session beer, although by this point in my review, 5/6 of the way through a 750mL bottle, I'm quite tipsy.

OVERALL, 5/5: I really don't see how this could be improved, even if it's a little low on body and high on carbonation for my tastes, any permutation altering the body and carbonation that I run through in my mind's palate somehow isn't quite as good. This is one of the best beers in the world, to my palate; St Bernardus Abt 12 is easily the best, this being in second place for Belgians, and the top 5 overall.

As a previous reviewer noted, if this is in your glass, this is a special occasion. Drink it daily! I paid $11 for this bottle; it was worth it. I recommend letting it warm for a little before drinking it; my last half-glass out of the bottle was better than my first, which was served around 45ºF or so, maybe 50ºF.

Final verdict: if you haven't had this ale, buy it: it won't let you down. It is more like champagne in consistency and in flavor than any beer I have had otherwise; I'm not a large fan of champagne (I once bought a bottle of Dom Perignon and Moet et Chandon White Star to see if it would make a difference: it didn't), but this isn't a putdown of the beer: it does what champagne could not.

4.87/5  rDev +17.3%

If someone asked you to sum this beer up in one word, what would it be? For me: turtle. You know, those huge gobs of pecan, caramel and chocolate you get at roadside tourist stops and munch on the way to your real destination. Simple, right?. But if you gave me two words, well then, I might say smoked cherries. That wouldn't be enough though, would it? Then I would have to say cedar shavings and cypress knees and forest honey and Spring straw

4.89/5  rDev +17.8%

Pours a hazy deep chocolate brown beer with a decent off white to tan colored head.

The scent of this beer makes it hard to concentrate it is so good. The glass is sitting 3 feet away from me and I can very clearly smell its wonderful odor. First scent is really good cognac and spices with sweet honey drizzled in. Baked brown apples made with fresh ground cinnamon, ginger and cloves caresses your nose. Fainter scents of chocolate cake batter and vanilla are back up scent. Best scent ever they should make a cologne that smells like this.

Taste is either going to disappoint or wow me so which is it? It Wows me. Strong flavor of malt and spice massages your tongue in to paradise. Drier flavor than expected from the scent it is balanced. This is a taste that is elusive to describe; it is blended so well that I can't really pull the flavors apart it just plain tastes good. Fruity without letting any one get identified and spicy with only coriander being identifiable. After taste is delicious chocolate cake.

Mouthfeel is creamy.

Drinkability is simply some of the best stuff on Earth! I am going to go drink the sediment in the bottom of the bottle, and I am not joking about that!

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

A - Medium-brown body; nearly opaque. Very fluffy tan head fills out the Westmalle chalice quite nicely. Very active carbonation is visible.

S - The aroma is absolutely heavenly, and unfortunately my words probably won't do it justice. I smell figs, plums, candies, and malt- all in perfect balance. Not a single characteristic overwhelms the others. Quite honestly, I don't believe I've had a beer with a more delightful aroma than this.

T - The taste is beyond wonderful and fantastically complex. Malty sweetness up front (very well controlled), a tiny bit of alcohol warmth in the middle, and the tiniest hint of bitterness round out this heavenly experience. Laugh if you will, but the only food I've paired with this is a sugar cookie last Christmas just for kicks (which, believe it or not, worked very well). It's actually so wonderfully good that I can't imagine pairing it with anything at all (aside from my one-time cookie experiment) for fear of muting the flavor. This one stands well on its own.

M - Again; I don't think this can be topped for the style. The body hovers between some lighter dubbels and heavier quads. The carbonation is perfect- it dances on your tongue without impacting the taste whatsoever.

O - There's no doubt in my mind; this is a fantastic beer. It's by far my favorite dubbel, and I don't think anything else I've tried even comes close. Sadly it's taken me several years to get around to reviewing this (just as I'm lagging behind on reviewing everything else I've tried), but I decided to pop one open tonight and share my thoughts. The price is very reasonable as well- particularly when considering the pricier offerings that can't manage to come close as far as quality.

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

A-Pours a deep dark brown with a lively, off white, three finger head. Takes some time to dissipate, lacing clings to the side as the glass nears empty.

S-Lively and complex. Warm chocolate, toffee, butterscotch, malts, phenols and raisins. Pipe tobacco. The smell is really something amazing, I find myself taking in the aroma before every sip.

T- This is the good stuff! Definitely a warm, chocolaty alcohol note followed by the hops and finally a sweet malty character. The same flavors from the smell are still present. Chocolate, smooth malts, raisin, coriander, bread, honey, milk and sugar. A long lasting mildly sweet aftertaste lingers on the palate. Everything is balanced and in check here. Nothing seems out of place.

M- Wonderfully clean for such a complex beer. Leaves the tongue tingling.

D- Oh yeah. Definitely a sipping beer though. I find myself wanting to take a swig or two but when all those tastes hit my tongue I can't bring myself to do it. A great beer with which to sit and waste the evening away.

Yes! I finally got the chance to try this amazing beer and it was everything I wanted it to be and more. I really wondered if it would live up to the hype but I found it to surpass what I was expecting. I think a glass of this every week would do a body good.

4.94/5  rDev +19%

Pours very dark brown and clear with an impressive off-white head. Smells of malt and light yeast, with some green apple-like scents. Tastes slightly sweet with hints of plum and very light alcohol notes and the noble hops trademark touch of bitterness without the off-putting pine needle cut. Soft and nice carbonation, with a great drinkability factor due to slightly dry finish. This is my personal favorite dubbel style in the solar system, if only they were all made this way.

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle