Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros
4.76/5  rDev +14.1%

Mikemcgrath4, Sep 13, 2014
4.76/5  rDev +14.1%

Amsterdallas, Oct 18, 2014

Fresh bottle review.
A-Thick creamy frothy tan head that does not linger. Clear with a ruddy brown/amber color.

S-Sweet malts (raisin) and yeasty goodness.

T-Awesome rich sweet malt taste, yeasty-sweet roll like, rum raisin with no alcohol bite.

M-Quick finish making this extremely drinkable, just a slight hint of alcohol at the end. A bit creamy.

D-Way too good.

O-Anyone looking to make a dubbel-this would be a good one to try to mimic-fantastic beer. Great taste, mouthfeel and drinkability. Love this one-my favorite of the style. Loved the price and availability in Belgium too-wish I could have brought cases of this stuff home with me.

deebo, Jan 08, 2012
4.78/5  rDev +14.6%

Easily one of my favorite dubbels from what may be the most underrated trappist brewery IMO. Pours a nice brown color with red highlights and good white head. Smell is of spice and dark fruits. Taste has a toooonnnn of dark fruit flavors in it that come out strong up front. some spice and more fruit through the middle. Clean crisp mouthfeel but could be a little better. Drinkability is extremely high. Wonderful beer, from the brewery that makes one of my top 5 tripels as well.

AKBelgianBeast, Jan 27, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The aroma caught me the second I popped the cap. Rich, malty, inviting. Surprisingly carbonation leading into a creamy texture. Butterscotch, bread, and a little bit of yeasty funk. Spicy hops linger in a slightly bitter finish.

Outstanding. Go get it!

McNealc31, Nov 02, 2013
4.78/5  rDev +14.6%

I managed to resist temptation somewhat successfully and age this bottle for about one year before succumbing. Right from the crack of the cap, the beer gives off a pleasant sweet prune-like aroma, undergirded by a distinctively Belgian yeasty maltiness. This dubbel is quite an attractive beer -- deep mahogany in color with a thin, light tan head. The flavor starts off quite sweet, characterized largely by a deep, figgy fruitiness. Combined with the bready body, this gives me the (not unpleasant) impression of Fig Newtons. Toward the end, light chocolatey and toasty notes are noticeable in the background, and the beer finishes with a mild alcohol spiciness. Quite full and body, and luxuriously creamy in mouthfeel. Very, very yummy.

mzwolinski, Aug 15, 2003
4.78/5  rDev +14.6%

A - Poured into a Westmalle Goblet. It has a brown with reddish tones in appearance with a small head after the pour.

S - High Malt and a hint of cherries.

T - Complex flavor. Semi-Sweet with a dry finish. Carmel and cherries are what I sense.

M - Medium carbonation. Very Smooth and you like is more and more as you drink it.

D - I am not going to say it's a session beer at 7%, but it's highly drinkable.

I love this beer it's has become may favorite dubbel.

jeffsala, Apr 16, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +14.6%

I have been harassed for years for turning my nose to dubbels. Don't ask me why. They just didn't sit right with me. Always seemed like the shitty little brother to my lovely quads. Not the juicy quads on these foreign girls that raid my nest, but the herculian brew we all raise a glass to. Those spectacular beverages that push the double digit mark on the ABV scale. For the second time in my life, I have been proven wrong. Avoiding dubbels meant that I was avoiding Westmalle Dubbel, and this beer happens to be one of the most finely tuned brews on God's green earth. The perfect balance. Exceptional taste and mouthfeel. Reminds me of the breasts I had in my mouth this past weekend. This, in turn, reminded me of the third time in my life I had been proven wrong. Right after discovering this special beer, I was approached my a loose-lipped Dutch girl at a hostel I was spending the night in. During conversation, breast size was brought up, and my friend guessed that she was a b-cup. I laughed at the notion that she was a b, since that chest was going nowhere but inward, so leaned closer for further inspection. With the Westmalle Dubbel in one hand, I used my free mitt to size up the specimen. He was right, b-cup. I then finished my Westmalle, and convinced her to fetch more beers. I then went to sleep. She could not trick me into sleeping with her. Since that night, I have realized that when guessing bra size, the b-cup is the go-to cup size. That guess will win you more battles than you lose. There is also such a go-to when it comes to world class beers. This is Westmalle Dubbel. It may not be the people's champ, like the over-hyped c-cup, but it is always the go-to when you need something to bring home. I am now a Dubbel man, and Westmalle is my girl.

Toddzillamz, Oct 04, 2012
4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

This is a very drinkable Trappist and I enjoyed it very much. Excellent head and lacing. Aroma reminded me of a warm summer day laying in a field of summer flowers. Fresh and pure and thanking God your alive. It has spirt and lets you know your not drinking some light beer of ordinary taste. It will awaking your tastebuds and make you feel like the warm sun is shinning on you. Can't say enough about it , just try it and see.

Pisstank52, Dec 02, 2009
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A-Hazy dark brown with a large tan head that gives you a good lace
S-Spices light pepper, banana sweetness, roasted malts and caramel
T-sweet roasted caramel at first with a spice background that gives you a nice hop bitterness in the aftertaste, then finishes with a warming and great balance of all the flavors
M- full carbonation
O-The balance makes this one of the best I have had this year, I always enjoy dubbels

a0lbudman, May 10, 2014
4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Best before date on bottle : 10 / 07.

The color is dark amber with a light tan colored head that kicks up easily when the ( Westmalle) chalice is swirled. Head receeds quickly to a whispy film leaving small spatters of lace.

Sweet, subtle malt aromas of chocolate and dark candy sugar, ripe melon and raisins along side some faint phenolic yeast notes and a hint of alcohol that all blend perfectly - wonderfully clean and subdued. Not at all pungent or cloying.

Rich fruity flavors of cherrys and figs and dark candy sugar flood the mouth. Smooth, medium bodied with soft carbonation, absolutely delicious grain flavors of sugar glazed brown bread crust balanced by an earthy hop spiciness in the background. Alcohol lingers even further back in the shadows, adding to the lush complexty of taste sensations.

Balance, balance balance. Predominantly a malty beer, the balance is still exceptional, with just enough bittering hop stepping forward in the finish to be pleasingly dry, just enough alcohol to be mildly warming and exceedingly drinkable.
Those Belgian Monk guys sure know what they're doin!

2-22-08 - Vintage review.
7-20-06 best before date.

Huge 3 in. tan head over a clear garnet brown beer. Slow, tiny carb bubbles rise from the etched "D" in the Duvel glass. Slumps to volcano of dense, sticky foam with sheets of lace. *4.5

Aromas are sweet and phenolic - smokey alcohol notes behind burnt chocolate and cooked figs. Not as rich and fruity as a fresher bottle.
*3.5

Flavors are all but washed away - somewhat watery light fruity notes are in the background - not up front as in a younger bottle. Faint chocolate notes and a firm and tasty grassy hop flavor dominates with a pastey oxidized sharpness. Warm, mildly alcoholic bitter finish. *4

Body is remarkably light - certainly less than medium bodied with a quaffability not found in a richer, more full bodied fresh bottle.
* 3.5

Overall, still a very nice beer with excellent drinkability and delicious hoppy finish. less complex and fruity than newer examples but still a great beer - just a little less so. My lesson learned is dont age this one ( only 7%) too much longer than the bottle date suggests.
*4.5

Overal I think this scores a 4.0.

Shiredave, Mar 14, 2005
4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

This is the first trappist beer I've tried. Had it today.

Poured out dark, with an unusual brown head. I could see the yeast swimming around at the bottom of my glass as I chose not to filter it.

The smell was the only thing less than magnificant. It didn't really have much of a smell. But the faint smell was fruity and very appealing.

It tasted like fruit and maybe some chocolate thrown in the mix. Nothing low quality about this one.

The mouthfeel wasn't too watery, wasn't too heavy. It was just perfect.

This is definately a premium beer for the connoisseur, appropriate to be enjoyed with a gourmet meal or on a special occasion.

liquidnoise, Mar 16, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

12 oz bottle. The beer pours into my Achel chalice a ruddy, chestnut brown. A mighty dome of craggy, wheat-hued head holds it's ground for a long time, gradually settling into a thin cap, lacing all the way down.

Aromas of creamy malts, raisens, dates, yeasty bread, and vineous grapey must tantilize my senses. There is an underlying sense of barnyard funkiness that I find immeasurably appealing.

Initially sweet tasting with dark, ripe fruits, malty creaminess, and sweet, yeast bread. Clove and cinnamon spice from the yeast further the complexity. There's a bit of banana and bubble-gum in here too. Alcohol is smooth and undetectable.

Body is medium and thirst quenching, easy carbonation, creamy texture. Finish with some dry, oaky sherry notes and spicy hops. A delightful dubbel in every respect. A benchmark of the style!

AlexJ, Mar 22, 2005
4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Appearance: Cloudy, super dark chocalte amber. Phenomenal head never goes away.

Smell: Very tempting mix of caramel and lavender, with very spicy undertones.

Taste: Complex as hell. Sweet and port-like. Caramel, lavender, plum with a little anise on the finish. Floral notes come in as it warms. Incredible.

Mouthfeel: Really creamy. This is a very rich beer that has better legs than most cabernets. On that same note, it did get a little sticky after the swallow.

Drinkability: Great brew, phenomenal with dessert. Offers many surprises as she warms up.

jeffjfindley, Oct 03, 2006
4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Had this tasty Trappist on tap in Brussels and also get it bottled in NJ. In either case, it is one of my favorite beers. From the taste to the appearance, I love this beer. Smooth and very drinkable, not very strong but not weak either (the perfect medium). Highly recommended!

joesc230, Oct 07, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

A: Poured a light brown color from the bottle leaving about 2 fingers worth of head that dissipated in a few minutes to a nice bit of lacing around the rim of the glass.
S: Very fruity with hints of malt, yeast and just a little bit of alcohol. Fruit smells are summery, maybe berries or cherry.
T: This dubbel tastes of raisins, malt and just a faint hint of red wine. A very interesting mix that really works well on the palate.
M: Mouthfeel is medium in body and modest in carbonation. Really this is a pretty good example of what a dubbel should feel like going down.
D: This is an exceptionally drinkable beer. In fact, it's likely in the top three that I've every had the pleasure of trying. Very recommended!

Nowhereman529, Mar 24, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

An eagerly anticipated sampling, a bottle set aside for many months to mark a special occasion...
Appearance: huge froth, to start, foamed everywhere, even over the keyboard, and 'scuse me while I mop up for a sec, will you, please?
Okay, the beer's calmed down a bit, and now we can judge it more suitably, perhaps...gorgeous garnet hue, nearly violet, deep ruby may be more like it, with a generous layer of foam atop, thick, plentiful, creamy, soupy, a dream to watch dwindle down...
Aroma: like sticking one's face deep down in a nest of ripe late-harvest fruits, and a bit from the vegetable side, too...a cornucopia in the nose, rich in cherries, and berries, grapes, and dates, and more that merely waits in the wings behind these major players...a deep, heady aroma, uplifting, otherwordly, luxurious! Damn, but it's well past time to drink, isn't it?
Taste: smooth, mellow, but oh, so much flavor, too, too much going on, too, too delicious, and I don't know where to start, actually, ...a rush of warmth, earthy fruitiness, plump and ripe and ever at home in the mouth. Mouthfeel? To capacity! Spices swim in, too, and envelope the senses, and dart about and add to the general sense of well-being felt everywhere that this brew touches. Another good gulp and I feel it again, this warm, spicy, earthy, deep, magical, tasty, fruity, magnificent....oh-my-goodness, sort of feeling...the malt is a wonderful buttress, and flavor-leader, too, but the hops, are a major contributor,as well, leading me to say, "screw it all, this is a perfectly integrated blend of all that's great in beer-land, isn't it?"
I have more to drink from this bottle, too, and could more, possibly, be gleaned from the last remaining drops that may color my perceptions before this sampling is done? Did I leave out minor notes of nuts and cocoa and coffee, just a stitch? But the point's made already, that this is among a rare subset of sublimity, and is so gorgeous that one is better off encountering it on rare occasions to make the meeting more special every time, I says.

Cheers to monks at Westmalle for creating this masterpiece!

feloniousmonk, Jan 19, 2004
4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from a bottle into an Orval chalice.

Appearance - very deep brown, mahogany I guess. Nice tan head, stuck around a little while.

Smell - boozy, caramel, dark fruit. Just what you would expect.

Taste - fabulous. You taste the alchocol but surrounding it is a harvest of other flavors, dark fruit, caramel.

Mouthfeel - exceptional. Carbonation perfected.

Drinkability - at 7% I am about done with one but could go on forever if possible.

A fantastic beer like all Trappist ales.

tjwarren, Jun 14, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +15.8%

A: poured into a triple goblet glass with a hard pour at 40F, got a little head, and its lacing stuck to the walls and is lasting a long while.
Brown in color with some cloudiness because I poured it yeast and all.

S: plum like grapes, some leather overtones. sweet malt, rock candy sweetness, great balance with the hops, mild alcohol hits the nose as it warms up. Very complex what can you say its a Trappist they are all complex beers.

T: very rich and complex plum flavor, with rock candy sweetness, you get the malt and yeast flavors, great hop to malt balance, but none of them overpower the beer as it should be. not to sweet but it is a Dubbel. Great stuff

M: smooth and creamy, medium body, nice carbonation

D: easy to drink 3 or 4 of these but you will be a tad tipsy at the end, at least I was.

azorie, May 11, 2010

Westmalle Dubbel (AGED: circa 1980s) (Rating 9.5/10) - 6.5 ABV - 16 August 2007

2 days ago I had a Westmalle Dubbel which appears to be from the 90s and I felt that it was past its prime but perhaps that may not be the case. More important would be how the beer had aged over time. This Dubbel from the 80s (or maybe 90s?) had no label on the bottle;
in place was a extrusion of the "ABDU WESTMALLE" text. There was also no sludge and no sediments during the pour at all. The only sign of age is the little "ring" on the bottle neck where the beer level is before pouring. The underside of the cap was intact; the one I had 2 days ago had slight rust though not in the main area of the cap but still it was not looking too good. This aged Westmalle poured out dark ruby brown like any Westmalle Dubbel but without any head; all that was present was a nice ring lacing; no sediments at all. It smells of strong fruits (mainly plums and raisins) and also the typical Westmalle smell. It tasted strongly of plums, raisins and very subtle yeastiness and very slight bitterness on the finish. The entry had a certain alcohol strength which I could fully appreciate and it was backed with a strong dark fruity entry as well. The body was not as thick as I would have liked but this entry
strength as well as the very apt level of carbonation topped things out and it is not thin nor even the slightest watered down which was what I felt about the 1990s vintage which I tried 2 days ago. It was very smooth as well and I really enjoyed it. The after taste was lasting; way more lasting than the one I had 2 days ago and the fruits involved are again typical of the Westmalle Dubbel: Plums, dark grapes, Raisins and maybe other dark fruits like dates, etc; very fruity and tasty. Of course the entire package is all mellow and pleasant but not detracting from the strength and character that is of essence for a trappist ale. I think this
beer held up very well over the years and I can really appreciate it. Proper aging is of essence; seems to me the 90s vintage I had 2 days ago was badly aged.

Westmalle Dubbel (AGED: circa 1990s) (Rating 9/10) - 6.5 ABV - 14 August 2007

This is an aged Westmalle Dubbel, with the older cap as well; this is probably my first old beer. I estimate that it is from the 90s but I am not too sure. The bottle was a little hard to crack and when I got it off I immediately smell a strong fruity aroma comprising of dark fruits like plums, grapes, etc. The pour left a slightly less than 1 finger stable creamy head which stayed for quite a bit. The smell was a very strong fruity smell and so was the taste but it was not as strong as I would expect it to be. Fruity notes like plums and grapes are definitely more pronounced with its age and the yeasty notes on the finish were really light and subtle. The taste is very mellow and soothing and generally very identifiable as the Westmalle taste from my previous experiences with the Westmalle Dubbel. I think the fruitiness may be a little stronger than the 2003 or 2004 vintage version that I had but in terms of mouthfeel it seems to be falling short as the body has became thin and is probably between medium to light body which makes it feel a little watered down. Had the body been thicker, it would probably have been lovely but I guess at this age, this Westmalle may be a little past its prime but I
am not really sure, to be honest. The after taste was strong and fairly lasting but not as lasting as I would like it to be. Something that made me feel a little uncomfortable was the sludge that formed in the bottle itself along with the sediment flakes. I had the flakes scooped up before I drank the beer. I guess it is normal to have these flakes around specially at that age but I guess I would do without it. :)

basica, Aug 15, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +15.8%

On tap at Stoffel in Tilburg, Netherlands. Served into Westmalle chalice. Ruby in color, pinky of foam. Thick, soapy lacing. Aroma is sweet with malts, dominated by raisin and molasses. Taste follows suit. Blends together many complex flavors and notes. Very easy to drink. An all time classic.

KickbacksSteve, Nov 24, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +15.8%

It took me more then a year to get this beer (and the Tripel) here in central Montana, finally got the local distributor to deliver. Maybe other places one can go out to the local store and get one, but not here. So here we go.

My first one that I tried, foamed out over my counter, ended up with about 5 ounces of drinkable beer (clearly mishandled). The second one however poured perfectly into my Chalice.

Good head, fairly dark, in appearance not that spectacular but good. Smell was exceptional. Taste was nothing else I have tasted, smooth but complex. Nothing short of incredible, worth the wait. I would give up sex to drink this beer.

TheBishop, Aug 30, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

The beer pours is very cloudy brown body and a nice tan head

The smell is of orange marmalade and Clay

The taste is smooth chalky earthy with some nice malt and fruit

Very will carbonated and somewhat full

A wonderful beer well-crafted and keeping with its style very enjoyable for flavor yet thirst quenching

jneiswender, Apr 19, 2014
4.83/5  rDev +15.8%

It's a runoff between the Westie and the St. Bernardus Abt 12 in my book, but I think the Westie eeks out ahead. It is perfectly balanced, with subtle fruit tones in the bouquet. Unlike Corsendonk's wine-like aftertaste, the Westmalle leaves you savoring its complexity and wanting more. Be sure to air it out, as it gains more character just below cellar temp. Also, be sure to serve it in the proper glassware... presentation and aroma are everything with a beer this good. Definately a cost-wise alternative to Abbaye des Rocs' offerings.

ChrisBowers, Apr 11, 2003
4.83/5  rDev +15.8%

Brown in color with some cloudiness because I poured it yeast and all.

S:plum like grapes, some leather overtones. sweet malt, rock candy
like, no hops, mild alchol hits the nose as it warms up

T: very rich and complex plum flavor, with rock candy sweetness, you get the malt and yeast falvors, little or no hops, but its nice and balanced out. not to sweet but it is a dubbel.

M: creamy, medium body, nice carbonation

D: easy to drink but the abv does sneak up on yea.

boldcity2008, Feb 10, 2010