Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +17%

If someone asked you to sum this beer up in one word, what would it be? For me: turtle. You know, those huge gobs of pecan, caramel and chocolate you get at roadside tourist stops and munch on the way to your real destination. Simple, right?. But if you gave me two words, well then, I might say smoked cherries. That wouldn't be enough though, would it? Then I would have to say cedar shavings and cypress knees and forest honey and Spring straw

berries.

inebrius, Jul 31, 2004
4.9/5  rDev +17.5%

Pours a hazy deep chocolate brown beer with a decent off white to tan colored head.

The scent of this beer makes it hard to concentrate it is so good. The glass is sitting 3 feet away from me and I can very clearly smell its wonderful odor. First scent is really good cognac and spices with sweet honey drizzled in. Baked brown apples made with fresh ground cinnamon, ginger and cloves caresses your nose. Fainter scents of chocolate cake batter and vanilla are back up scent. Best scent ever they should make a cologne that smells like this.

Taste is either going to disappoint or wow me so which is it? It Wows me. Strong flavor of malt and spice massages your tongue in to paradise. Drier flavor than expected from the scent it is balanced. This is a taste that is elusive to describe; it is blended so well that I can't really pull the flavors apart it just plain tastes good. Fruity without letting any one get identified and spicy with only coriander being identifiable. After taste is delicious chocolate cake.

Mouthfeel is creamy.

Drinkability is simply some of the best stuff on Earth! I am going to go drink the sediment in the bottom of the bottle, and I am not joking about that!

Zorro, Sep 27, 2005
4.93/5  rDev +18.2%

A - Medium-brown body; nearly opaque. Very fluffy tan head fills out the Westmalle chalice quite nicely. Very active carbonation is visible.

S - The aroma is absolutely heavenly, and unfortunately my words probably won't do it justice. I smell figs, plums, candies, and malt- all in perfect balance. Not a single characteristic overwhelms the others. Quite honestly, I don't believe I've had a beer with a more delightful aroma than this.

T - The taste is beyond wonderful and fantastically complex. Malty sweetness up front (very well controlled), a tiny bit of alcohol warmth in the middle, and the tiniest hint of bitterness round out this heavenly experience. Laugh if you will, but the only food I've paired with this is a sugar cookie last Christmas just for kicks (which, believe it or not, worked very well). It's actually so wonderfully good that I can't imagine pairing it with anything at all (aside from my one-time cookie experiment) for fear of muting the flavor. This one stands well on its own.

M - Again; I don't think this can be topped for the style. The body hovers between some lighter dubbels and heavier quads. The carbonation is perfect- it dances on your tongue without impacting the taste whatsoever.

O - There's no doubt in my mind; this is a fantastic beer. It's by far my favorite dubbel, and I don't think anything else I've tried even comes close. Sadly it's taken me several years to get around to reviewing this (just as I'm lagging behind on reviewing everything else I've tried), but I decided to pop one open tonight and share my thoughts. The price is very reasonable as well- particularly when considering the pricier offerings that can't manage to come close as far as quality.

mikedotnet, Oct 31, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +18.2%

A-Pours a deep dark brown with a lively, off white, three finger head. Takes some time to dissipate, lacing clings to the side as the glass nears empty.

S-Lively and complex. Warm chocolate, toffee, butterscotch, malts, phenols and raisins. Pipe tobacco. The smell is really something amazing, I find myself taking in the aroma before every sip.

T- This is the good stuff! Definitely a warm, chocolaty alcohol note followed by the hops and finally a sweet malty character. The same flavors from the smell are still present. Chocolate, smooth malts, raisin, coriander, bread, honey, milk and sugar. A long lasting mildly sweet aftertaste lingers on the palate. Everything is balanced and in check here. Nothing seems out of place.

M- Wonderfully clean for such a complex beer. Leaves the tongue tingling.

D- Oh yeah. Definitely a sipping beer though. I find myself wanting to take a swig or two but when all those tastes hit my tongue I can't bring myself to do it. A great beer with which to sit and waste the evening away.

Yes! I finally got the chance to try this amazing beer and it was everything I wanted it to be and more. I really wondered if it would live up to the hype but I found it to surpass what I was expecting. I think a glass of this every week would do a body good.

boynabubble, Feb 14, 2009
4.95/5  rDev +18.7%

Pours very dark brown and clear with an impressive off-white head. Smells of malt and light yeast, with some green apple-like scents. Tastes slightly sweet with hints of plum and very light alcohol notes and the noble hops trademark touch of bitterness without the off-putting pine needle cut. Soft and nice carbonation, with a great drinkability factor due to slightly dry finish. This is my personal favorite dubbel style in the solar system, if only they were all made this way.

Wegomlegging, Feb 14, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +18.7%

Now Quaffing: Westmalle Dubbel

Uniqueness is redefined. A beer that begins its existence in the shadow of its world reknowned big brother has its standards set high before the bottle is even opened. Eager this one is to prove its worthiness. As I crack the top of the signature Westmalle bottle, a volcano erupts reaching for the heavens catching me off guard and making for a sloppy beginning to the pour. Let it be said now, that this, if any was the only flaw I could find with this beer. The final pour resulted in a deep, earthy, reddish-brown body with a lively light beige head that calms quickly, as if to show reassurance in my snifter being its final resting place. The smell dominately sweet, but beyond that nearly indescribable. Imagine smelling every fruit in existence exclusively and all together at the same time--Fruitopia of the Gods. The taste reflects the nose with a symphony of sweetness which is obviously the masterful combination of malts with the trademark belgian touch of sugar and spices. The sweetness is not out of control and there is a hint of yeast and a slight bitterness and crispness to the finish. Mouthfeel is medium in body and very smooth. As far as drinkability goes, I could drink this beer all night with or without food, in a pub or at home, and with a fox or in a box. Praise to Westmalle once again!

TripelJ, Jun 17, 2004
4.96/5  rDev +18.9%

Ircghost, Aug 22, 2014
4.97/5  rDev +19.2%

Nice foamy head and a great sweet smell. Pours a dark amber with a tan head. First taste is just...WOW. Where have you been all my life? fruity with a nice long bitter finish but nothing overpowering. Great balance. Motuhfeel if soft, not too think, but not too thin. Goes down smooth, this is a beer I could dirnk a lot of. Drank it too fast to be honest. Amazing.

n0315, Jan 17, 2008
4.97/5  rDev +19.2%

Appearance: Brown with voluminous whitish brown head, takes its time to dissipate, and leaves tons of lacing

Smell: Bready, earthy, malty, fruity, with hints of citrus and oak

Taste: Bready, earthy, malty, fruity, good sweetness here. Some spice and plum, no hints of the abv.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium to full body, medium carbonation

Overall: Excellent. I think I might like this even more than Chimay Grande Réserve. Would absolutely love to have this on a regular basis, unfortunately it isn't too common and isn't cheap either. One of my top beers.

MadCat, Apr 06, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +19.2%

The tower of doughy foam on this beer is an outrage! It stands more than 8 times taller than the depth of the brown liquid underneath. As it slowly succumbs to gravity I note little flecks of brown on the pearlescent, irregular surface.
The aromas are of concentrated, very ripe fig, plum and wild berries joined by nutmeg, toffee and malt. The flavors are bold and stately, with a glycerin-packed texture that reveals hints of seasoned wood, brandy, grape skins and currants. Balanced to perfection between boozy, brandied fruits and finely milled, papery tannins.

putnam, May 09, 2004

tainted, Jun 26, 2013

henryclay_, May 10, 2014

hepcat, May 11, 2013

TheResidentialOP, Mar 31, 2012

Ralphs66, Dec 15, 2011

Dwtucker90, Aug 01, 2012

Pours amber brown, with a sustaining white head with lots of lace.

Oh the smell. A complicated mix of raisins, chocolate and lemons. Also some alcohol here.

Fruitcake roast chocolate flavor. Sweet and malty with an ever so lite noble hop presence.

Nice "Belgian" carbonation and full rich body. I'm very impressed with this beer, Long live Belgium!

nortmand, Dec 07, 2005

brinch, Mar 16, 2012

sjstraub, Nov 15, 2011

bombadil, Nov 15, 2011

Gottesverachter, May 26, 2014

FreshmanPour77, Nov 18, 2011

d_brommer_nh, Nov 03, 2013

richbrew, Nov 15, 2011

I am a bit bias toward the Trappist beers. When I first heard about the Westvleteren I just had to find it. When I finally got a taste it was the most amazing experience. It felt as if I was tasting history. That got me excited about the Trappist beers in general and then I finally found the Westmalle and Rochefort beers. I have to say they are just as amazing. This guy, even at a 7% abv, is highly drinkable. It has a great brown sugar taste and just makes me tingle. The dubbel and tripel are just so good. Nice sweet smell and just hits the palette in a way that makes you want more. I would recommend this to anyone. My fiance does not care much for beer and this one she even liked.

cdrogers, Aug 29, 2010