Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,427 | Reviews: 1,160
3.51/5  rDev -15.8%

Ok second Belgian of the night
simple yet nice bottle and labelling.
poured into the chalice this is a very attractive beer ,dark ,murky brown with a medium sized off white head..that dissappears fast.

The aroma though , while nice, is rather on the subdued side for what I have been led to expect from Belgian ales. a small spiciness some malt but nothing much to speak of
The taste while marginally better than the aromas is weak..but what there is is a good balance of the spiciness and honeyish malts.
Its ok on the palate.
Its rather drinkable..but that fact in itself tells a tale..i found this nice but dull. Maybe I got a bad bottle..but this was not exciting as i expected..or the price suggested!

3.51/5  rDev -15.8%

330 ml, BB date reads 12. November 2010, into 180 ml Chimay chalice. Up until today I've been waiting to open this one to enjoy the benefits of maturation. Pours effervescent, deep reddish coppery body with good clarity, topped by medium, beige dense head with good retention that gradually sets to a stable cloth. Nice lacing on the walls.
The nose is low maltiness dominated by fruity esters of plum, apple and raisins, light phenolic spiciness and apparent perfumy qualities probably originating from higher alcohols. Occasionally some extra sweetness emerges enhancing the perception of malt. The flavor is surprisingly unsweet, lacking prominent malt perception, estery with fruity tartness of plum, apple and raisins, light bitterness with moderately dry finish and some yeastiness. Light to medium bodied with rather high carbonation. A year of cellaring hasn't taken away much of the tartness (without diminishing the fruitiness) as I hoped for and which was the case with some previously tasted bottles.

In short: a rather dry, tart and estery dubbel with attractive reddish depth.

Update 12-28-2010:
This bottle has been aged a year over the declared best before date (18.December 2009).
A gusher, although once poured exhibits less effervescence than a year younger bottle tasted previous evening. Pour into baby-Chimay chalice (180 ml) gives birth to a deep amber-coppery clear body with some haze, overlain by beige head that completely dissipates in a short time. The aroma is rich and complex yet discrete malty sweetness with faint chocolaty notes, hint of caramel and light toastiness, abundant fruity esters of ripened plum and raisins, port-wine reminiscent qualities, some spicy phenolics and apparent higher alcohol-derived perfuminess. The flavor is complex malty sweetness with light toasty notes, plums & raisins lacking the prominent, almost berry-like tartness of a young Westmalle, light bitterness, some phenolic spiciness and yeasty notes. The malty sensation persists into the semi-dry finish. Nearly medium bodied with rather flat carbonation.
A year past its declared BB date, the Westmalle Dubbel is mainly distinguished from his above reviewed younger brother by more pronounced sweetness enhancing the malt-perception, absence of fruity tartness and poorly sustained head with less carbonated body. The scores for this one are 3, 4.5, 4, 2.5, 4 = 3,75

3.51/5  rDev -15.8%

Appearance: A deep carmelly red/brown with a big-ass foamy, frothy, sticky off-white head. A hurricane of fine carbonation is billowing up from the Duvel "D". Leaves a root beer-esque curtain of foam on the glass wall. That's about as good as it gets in my book.

Smell: OK, after blowing my sinuses out of my head, I now detect a tart, fruity ambrosial stew with the usual clove and pepper yeast.

Taste/Mouthfeel: A bit of a disappointment -- dry and mild. Pleasant enough; it's fruity up front, spicy and bready mid, and finishes peppery in the finish -- with some numbing clove -- but it's not the life-changer I'd hoped for. Mouthfeel is OK, thin and crisp, no more, no less.

Drinkability: It's five times the price of New Belgium's version, which I think blows it away. You tell me.

3.51/5  rDev -15.8%

11.2 oz bottle with a "best by" date of September 29, 2012. This one was allowed to warm a bit before being poured into my Duvel tulip.

Westmalle Dubbel pours a typical dark purple/brown. Ruby red highlights shine through with some exuberance when the beer is held to light. The light tan colored foam maxes out at over four fingers in height, and shows some solid retention. Lacing isn't nearly as widespread as it should be though. The nose doesn't have quite the amount dark fruits than I'd like, and the result is an aroma that's a little too phenol heavy to really appeal to me. The flavor has a similar dark fruit deficiency, but unlike the nose it's at least replaced somewhat by a toffee note. The clove, spicy phenol notes on the back end are intense, and threaten to overwhelm the beer. The mouthfeel at least has the excellence I've come to expect from trappist beers. The body is beguilingly light for a beer with a definite sweetness in its flavor profile. At the same time the carbonation, even at the bottom of the glass, is active enough to give the beer a vibrant energy. Westmalle Dubbel is a solidly brewed beer, I'm just not a huge fan of the fruity ester vs phenols balance in this one.

3.52/5  rDev -15.6%

The design on the label is simple and straitforward. The Trappist logo featured in the center. I like the raised lettring on the bottle that says "Trappist Bier" around the neck.

poured into a Duvel tulip glass. Nice solid ruddy brown color. Only a little bit of light comes through around the edges. Good tan head about a finger thick. Receded to a light lace. Towards the end the lace is completely gone.

Smell is very strong and tart. Sweet and fruity, but dry. It's like a dark red wine, like a merlot. Taste follows up strongly. Very dry and earthy. It does leave a warm alcohol aftertaste on the tongue. Medium body and carbonation.

This is very good, but I wouldn't want to do more than one at a time. The merlot flavors would make this an excellent beer for dinner.

3.52/5  rDev -15.6%

Very nice looking beer. Nice voluminous head when swirled. Doesn't leave much lacing. Nice bright mahogany color. Definately some big chunks of yeast from a not too careful pour.

Very nice nose. Nice raisin notes. Special B malt? Maybe get some candy sugar in there too. Get some subdued fruitiness. Otherwise very clean. No phenolics or higher alcohols or other spiceyness.

Good clean flavor, nothing special. Get some nice dark candy sugar and caramel malt like flavors. The finish is too clean. I want a Dubbel to linger for a second. My perception of this beer is that its a bit too dry. Actually has a harsh finish. Not very nice about halfway through.

Nice mouthfeel. Very spritzy...little too spritzy for the viscosity of the beer, it could be a bit thicker and sweeter...then the high carbonation would be ideal I think.

Doesn't really have enough to keep me interested and this harshness in the finish is discouraging.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A 330ml bottle with a BB of July 2012, so it's a little out of date. Picked up on a trip to Belgium in September 2010, and stored in my garage. I hope it has aged OK.

Poured into a Delirium chalice. A deep brown with ruby highlights and strong carbonation. Plenty of yeast sediment dives into the glass and clouds the body (that's what I get for leaving it so long). Yields a large head of creamy off-white foam with good retention; this lasts for a while before reducing to a thick surface layer. Aroma of rich, dark malt with notes of brown sugar, caramel, raisins, dried fruit, herbs and stewed leaves. A harsh, dry quality persists in the background, along with a solventy whiff of booze and phenolics.

Tastes of rich, dark malt with a fruity character and a dry finish. Slightly sweet. Notes of dried fruit, raisins, brown sugar, caramel, grain, faint yeast and stewed hops. Rather dry, with an astringent herbal bitterness upon swallowing. A solventy, phenolic character lurks in the background, along with a stale hint of cardboard. Mouthfeel is smooth and tingly, bordering on spicy, but the body seems a tad insubstantial for the style. Quite astringent, with an aftertaste of fruity malt and stewed leaves.

Hmmm - not sure about this one. Perhaps I let it get too old? The sweet, fruity character that I would expect from a dubbel is present, but seems muted. The stewed hop/cardboard notes, on the other hand, are excessive and taint the flavour. The phenolic/alcohol hints also seem disproportionate. I'm not loving it, but I suspect it's gone stale and/or oxidised. I'll try and re-review when I get my hands on a fresher example.

3.53/5  rDev -15.3%

Persistent beige head sits atop a ruddy, lightly hazy brown brew. Loose lace is left. The aroma is dominated by milk chocolate and dark caramel sweetness complemented by surprisingly light banana fruity esters. Slight sour apple tartness eeks into the end of the aroma. Flavorwise, nutty malt and prune like fruitiness quickly yield to dark, raisiny Special B and mellow chocolate malt. Sweetness is akin to diluted molasses and is well controlled, not overbearing, but is somewhat one dimensional. Light on the palate all around, smooth in mouthfeel and highly drinkable. Mild banana ester reemerge in the otherwise neutral and slightly watery finish. Westmalle's Double is surprisingly understated and shy in malt and yeast character, but is nonethless very well balanced and highly drinkable.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2oz bottle into tulip snifter.

Pours a brown, amber red with a very thick, frothy cream colored head.

The aroma is predominately of sweet candi sugar with a pleasant apple finish.

Taste follows the nose, candi sugar for the most part, with some tart apple in the finish.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with medium slightly prickly carbonation

A pleasant dubbel, but nothing particularly stood out to me.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was poured from a 330ml bottle inte a Westmalle chalice.The appearance was a reddish brown color with a tan head that quicly dissappears.The aromas were malty and slightly sweet and those smell were reflected in the taste as well.This Trappist beer was not as full as some of the other ones and while I personally thought this beer was ok,I do not believe it as good as the other ones like Chimay or Orval.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Medium to dark brown. Very thick, beige head.

S: Sugar and malt, but nothing too specific.

T: Sweet, malty. Somewhat earthy. Roasted caramel develops as you drink.

M: Foamy and over-carbonated.

D: Not overly heavy. Complex enough to not be boring, but I wasn't as impressed as I've heard.

Maybe I was let down after hearing such great things about this beer. It's a good, solid selection, but I didn't think it was one of the best beers I've had.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2oz. bottle served in my Maudite tulip. 14/07/11 indicated on the back label. Pours a hazy plum with a two-inch, frothy, cream-colored head. Head eventually collapses into a solid quarter in cap with thick swaths of lacing coating the sides of the glass as the brew recedes and with each tilt of the glass. Nose is fairly subdued - malt, spice, a faint suggestion of prunes and some phenols. Taste follows nose, but extremely watered down. There's also a slightly bready quality and some herbal bitterness that lightly lingers between quaffs. I have to say that I was expecting more. Mouthfeel is medium-light, with a fairly assertive carbonation. While I really enjoyed the tripel, I have to say that the dubbel left a lot to be desired. A bit disappointing and not worth the $6.99 pricetag. A fairly lackluster dubbel in my opinion.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The Westmalle Dubbel poured a brown red with a strong huge 3 finger head. The smell was a fruity sour with some brown sugar in the background.

The taste was a smooth malt with a apple bitterness that hit you right away. It was pretty dry with a wet finish on the lips. It was a tad hit hot alcohol wise and it really shouldn't have been with a 7% abv. Overall I thought it was average and maybe this was a poor batch.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured a hazy reddish dark red with a one finger beige cap.

S: Yeast, mild brown sugar and light whiff of dark fruit

T: A little bit of spice, dark fruit, yeast, and and light candy. Not so much flavor on this. Sordove plain.

M: Medium body and mild carbonation. Sweet, dry finish.

O: Good DUbbel but nothing Earthshattering but maybe I am missing something here

3.55/5  rDev -14.9%

Dark brown with ruby red highlights when backlit. Poured with a inch and a half head that lingered awhile then settled into a layer of foam that was retained to the end. Good thick lacing on the glass.

Aroma of floral hops characteristic of Trappist ales. Primary aroma was backed up by undertones of wood. Taste was more sour than other Chimay but less sour than Orval. It did not land me in the fold right away but the more I drank it the better it tasted. Mouthfeel was kind of sparkly which complimented the taste.

I would happily drink this again but I probably won’t because there are other Belgian Ales that I like better.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Deep reddish, brown color, smooth feel. Taste and smell were slightly muddy to me.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very nice dark black opaque color. Good brown copper color when held up to the light. There is a nice thick, tan head as well with great retention.
Good nutty malt smell to this dubbel. A tad bit of the plum type of sweetness as well.
Taste is a strong nutty malt taste. There is the slight chocolate plum taste at the end, but not very strong.
Mouthfeel is very chewy and flaky. Very thin, not the general smoothness that I prefer either.
Drinkability is okay as well. Not as good as I expected out of this beer. The taste is fairly bland and the mouthfeel is one of the oddest I have ever felt.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Grabbed a single 11.2 fl oz bottle from BevMo...

Dark brown mahogany. Incredible frothy head of white tan color. Nice lacing. This is a really good looking beer.

My first dubbel. Don't know what the hell it smells like. Nice scent, though.

Dark flavor. What does that mean? I don't know. Thick even. Actually turned out to be a great compliment to my fried eggs and whole wheat toast breakfast. Taste of grapes and alcohol. Wine. Brown wine. Sour. Bitter. Sting of alcohol at the end of every bite.

Feel is good. Drinkability is a little less for me. It it has to be bitter, it better be because of hops (in my opinion), and this one is bitter for some other reason.

Overall: decent stuff for sure but not my true calling.

3.57/5  rDev -14.4%

Dark brown in hue with a tawny-ruby influence, I could see a few chunks of yeast floating in the liquid, oops! Still I’d say the beer is largely clear. The head is off-white in color, almost beige, at the apex the head reached one finger in height and it quickly faded to a half finger cap, this remained for the entire consumption. Impressive. Subsequent lacing was splotchy and it clung poorly. Still this is a good-looking beer, largely because the head held like cement. The nose is very enjoyable, the potency isn’t as loud as I’d like but I’m picky. The aromas included a fantastic malty base, rich and chocolately like a cookie. Nutty. Toffee. If this was all the bouquet offered I’d be happy. But I’m elated because there is a hell of a lot of fruity aromas! Including cherries, dates, raisins, grapes (yes, there is a difference between raisins and grapes), apples infused with figs, coriander and brandy. Nice! As a whole, the nose is a malty harvest! The palate doesn’t live up the nose. It’s not close really. The bouquet told me, “big, malty backbone… rich, flavorful.” It was not. I found the malt to be thin and not that flavorful. Sure, it is good but not that yummy. The alcohol is a little too naked as well; this hurts the fruity qualities, which is a shame. I can find some nuttiness, bitter chocolate that is not very rich. There is some astringency that is vague and aimless, it can’t find a partner to dance with. Clovey. Fruitiness is a mix of bananas with a very weak kiss of grapes and apples. On the whole the palate is good but nothing more, it lacks pizzazz for one thing but the weakness of the malt is really disappointing. For a Dubbel it is average, decent. The mouthfeel is too thin. Again more malt please. Medium-light in body with zesty carbonation, the bubbles feel small but active. This aspect of this beer is satisfactory. I don’t really care for the tacky aftertaste. Sure this beer is drinkable; I found it quite pleasant and enjoyable. I have to mention a bottle in Omaha runs $5.00. With that in mind, it is not *that* drinkable! I can buy a six-pack of New Belgium’s (much tastier) Dubbel for $6.50. It is a no-brainer as to what beer I’d select in the future. Bottom line, it is a good beer but nothing special and nothing I think I will seek out again (unless it is much cheaper at John’s in Iowa City).

3.57/5  rDev -14.4%

Very dark red with a big head. Hard to keep it in the glass even with a gentle pour. The large head dwindles to a ring of foam after about a minute. No lacing.

The first aroma is a powerfull sensation of cola. The smell of raisons creep in shortly afterwards.

The taste is also raison cola but very dry. I expected some more complex tastes.

Mouthfeel is thin and dry. Very dry.

There isn't anything to prevent me from wanting another but not much to induce me either.

3.57/5  rDev -14.4%

Purchased a bottle for roughly 2€.

Nice murky brown colour (a bit too murky in my opinion) topped with a beautiful tan head that stays around for awhile.

A quite nice smell and somehow complex getting some of the yeast and a bit fruit.
The taste is, together with the drinkability, what makes this beer a difficult one to make one's tatse buds to it. Way too carbonated even for a Belgian brew, I shall give it a try leaving it at least a couple of months in the cellar; that's why it is that high my overall grade.

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

Enjoyed in a Chimay chalice at The Ginger Man in Norwalk.

A: Dark brown with a thick tan head that remained all the way to the end.

S: Caramel, but nothing spectacular like other doubles such as Grimbergen or even Ommegang.

T: Caramel and chocolate, but not overwhelming, and without any fruity notes that I have come to expect from St. Bernardus or other monastery beers. A tinge of bitterness. The truth is a decent dubbel just tastes better than the average beer.

M: Very full, with a tinge of carbonation and a little dry.

D: Lacks the overwhelming flavor that keeps you coming back, but still very enjoyable.

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

The colour is brown with a tint of gold. The liquid is clear. The finger thick head is beige. Lots of lacing occurs.

The smell is light and smooth. Red berries, some Belgian yeast.

The taste is somewhat sour-sweet with distinct notes of red berries. Some alcohol. Medium body. Red wine gums and raspberry candy in the smooth aftertaste as well as nuts and almonds. Warming alcohol in the finish.

The carbonation is strong, almost sharp. The bubbles are small. The liquid is rather light.

A smooth and pleasant dubbel.

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

Very awesome looking brew here. Nice 3 finger head that never disappates, leaving lacing down the tulip. Almost strange for a dubbel, has a very chocolately(light) taste to it. It is short in my opinion as compared to other dubbels I have had. A good brew, just will not seek it out, many other better dubbels less expensive.

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

Sampled at the tap room across from the Abbey.

There is something about being able to sample beer from a goblet on Sunday morning as Mass has just ended.

This beer was quite dry and at first not nearly as complex as I was expecting. The color was solidly amber without much in the way of haze. As it warmed up a bit it began to open up and show what it had to offer. It picked up a hint of sweetness which helped to boost the malt perception. There was a bit of raisin the mouth as well as a finish that was sweet from the alcohol. The aroma too had an alcohol component to it as well as a bit of woodiness. Quite estery tasting without being particularly fruity tasting. There seemed to be some higher alcohols in here as well.

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle