2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Ratings: 1932

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Ratings: 1,932 | Reviews: 1,106 | Show All Ratings:
babayaga

Nebraska

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured into a tulip glass. Served at 45F & allowed to warm up a bit.

Appearance is dark brown/red - mahogany is really the best descriptor. Huge 3-finger tan head, dissipates slowly. Medium bubble size. Clear with a swish of yeast. Could've poured it better were it not for the huge head.

Aroma is raisin, light alcohol, banana as it warms up.

Healthy/lively carbonation, as expected, but not sharp on the tongue.

Flavor is date, lightly bitter. Cassis perhaps. Smells sweeter than it tastes (I love that). Very slight tang at the finish.

11-27-2012 02:04:40 | More by babayaga
HANGOVER

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Opened a bottle today with a best before date of 3/5/13.

Appearance is about what I would expect from a Dubbel, Dark copper brown almost opaque, no real haze with a darker creme-brown one finger head that recedes but sticks around with a thin layer.

Smells of figs and caramel malt sweetness, backed by a roasted warming alcohol character, quite pleasant not overwhelming.

Taste is on par with the smell, balanced fig and caramel flavors accent a roasted backbone that warms the pallet. On the back end the caramel and fig flavors fall off leaving an aftertaste of pleasant roasted bitterness.

The mouth feel is a little less than I would have thought given the nose, but never the less pleasant.

Overall this beer is balanced nicely; I will definitely be buying some more in the near future.

11-24-2012 19:21:21 | More by HANGOVER
rangerred

Tennessee

4.38/5  rDev +5%

330ml bottle into a tulip.

Pours a clear very dark brown, nearly opaque. Topped by a huge billowy off-white head that keeps growing thanks to the abundant carbonation. Some of the best head retention I have every seen.

Aroma has lots of dark fruit such as figs and cherries layered on top of wood. Hints of pipe tobacco along with wet grass and hay. A little bit of light cocoa underneath.

The flavor really has tons going on. Like in the aroma, dark fruit predominantly up front consisting largely of cherries and figs. A decent woody note is present along with a little bit of must although it nicely compliments the other flavors. Grass comes in next along with a moderate, cleansing bitterness. The beer finishes dry on the palate with bitterness lingering long after all other flavors depart.

Overall, a truly complex and amazing beer. There is really so much going on here and the flavors change as the beer warms. One of the classics.

11-19-2012 01:36:53 | More by rangerred
Ranz

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured in my manly goblet chalice, it created an inch-thick, creamy head floating above playful bubbles on the cup's bottom. Excellent deep brown color. Little lacing to be seen.

S: Like any good trappist, this thing presents layers of complexity: on first sniff, plum, figs, roasted malt, and herbal spice come first; with some warming, a nice dose of banana from the yeast pops up. This is what love smells like.

T: Robust tannins of wood--cherrywood?--fig, and hints of mottled yeast collide into a panoply of subtly. It ends with a nice, dry, and bitter finish.

M: Sikly-smooth mouthfeel helps the flavors shine here. It's an easy one to sip.

O: Just stellar. God blesses this brew.

11-17-2012 23:06:19 | More by Ranz
1Nrwyscotch

Wisconsin

3.78/5  rDev -9.4%

330 ml bottle poured into a pint glass. Best Buy 7/27/12

Appearance. It poured a dark brown/amber with a large tan head. It had very little lacing.

Smell. it smells fairly sweet with some malt and spice(clove) coming through. It smells delicious.

Taste. It does not taste as sweet as it smells. The sweet dark fruit flavor gives way very quickly to some smoky malt with some earthy flavors. and some alcohol on the finish.

Mouthfeel. It has medium body with a creamy finsh

Overall. I think my expectations were to high or the best buy date is accurate as it tasted like its best days are behind it. I will try again as I want to taste what I can smell.

11-15-2012 00:24:19 | More by 1Nrwyscotch
Twincrasher

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Mahogany. Decent lace and leaves nice foam head.

Smell: Caramel and plum/raisin. Hints of spice

Taste: Very nice profile. Typical for Trappist style dubbel.

Mouthfeel: Good overall balance.

Overall: Very nice Friday night dinner beer. Very good rating.

11-14-2012 14:34:23 | More by Twincrasher
Maakun

Afghanistan

4.05/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured in an Orval glass. Color is dark, mahogany brown with a large beige head that disappers quickly. Slightly cloudy even though I kept the yeast in the bottle.

Smell is sweet, some yeast, bananas. Then some malts, burnt sugar and maybe even some coffee.

Taste is also sweet, like brown sugar. There's some sourness, more bananas, cherries, and some green apples. Very nice and fruity without being heavy at all. But there's also a hint of some unripe fruit, in the finish there's some bitterness and sourness, which slowly gives way again to the initial sweetness. It gets better when it's warmed up a little, the sweetness takes over from the sourness and there's some roasted malts there.

Mouth is medium, with a nice carbonation that tickles the tongue, feels great.

Overall this is a nice and very drinkable beer, but the taste is slightly unbalanced and a bit to sour to become a favourite.

11-10-2012 19:48:07 | More by Maakun
Greywulfken

4.13/5  rDev -1%

A: center-pour into a tulip glass produced brown body with fat tan froth head; draped some lace; good head retention; left some dark yeast behind in the bottom of the bottle

S: malty, sweet and hearty; some spice like clove; mild yeast aromas amid the malts

T: brown bread malts, smooth, creamy; little spices' flavor the brew with some tingles

M: medium-weight, medium carbonation; slightly chewy; mild chalk on the back-end

O: how the dubbel is done - of course, on-point for the style, classy enough brew for the novice or adept - a good baseline for evaluating other dubbels.

11-06-2012 00:10:22 | More by Greywulfken
korguy123

Ontario (Canada)

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

Year old bottle stored at proper cellar temp. Poured into goblet.

Murky brown pour with ruby highlights. Finger and a half light tan head. Lacing is excellent.

Brown sugar, vanilla, dark stone fruits, slight alcohol. There is some bananas and digestive cookies. There is a touch of chocolate and burnt toast.

Burnt toast, slight alcohol, dark stone fruits, brown sugar, vanilla, some dark roasted coffee in the finish.

Light to medium body, carbonation is slightly high.

11-01-2012 02:11:09 | More by korguy123
DrinkSlurm

Connecticut

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Ive had several times by now, but just getting around to review.
Poured from 11.2oz bottle into glass. pours a deep brown with ruby hue; thick tan foam and lacing. Raisony, dried fruit aromas, with hints of some chocolate; your favorite abbey like aromas.
Taste is bready, dried fruit, chocolate; again typical belgian abbey that we all hope is there. There is a lot going on here. Its a bit harsh/hot in the mouth...not as smooth as I like, but still easy to drink, but it works well.
What is left to say that hasnt been said over a thousand times already...
its a great trappist brew...as most are. Old faithful when in the mood for the style. I usually go for this, a rochefort, or abt 12 when I want a good abbey brew...

10-24-2012 01:15:26 | More by DrinkSlurm
rale

Quebec (Canada)

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

I've tried quite a few times trippel version of Westmalle and was blown away each time. That's why I decided to go for dubbel, too. It has awesome dark color, nice head, malty taste and dark fruits aromas. Alcohol is well hidden, although it does hit hard. Overall, would go for this one anytime again. I see it as suitable in the evenings and in the winter period. If i had to choose between this one and trippel, I would still go for the last.

10-13-2012 20:16:14 | More by rale
deadonhisfeet

Kentucky

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into an Orval chalice. The pour is fairly clear and dark reddish-brown in color. The head is rather thin and the carbonation rather low for the style. The nose has some fruity esters and nice sweet malty notes. The primary fruits are dark plums and cherries. There is also a nice bready, yeasty note. Like a puff pastry.

The beer has a nice, full body and a firm, slightly creamy mouthfeel. There are lots of flavors of sweet malt, cake, and dark fruit on the front of the tongue. At mid-palate, some raisin-like notes take over and the flavors start to become a bit tart towards the back of the mouth, where things dry up a bit on the finish and balance out the early sweetness nicely. No alcohol taste at all.

A classic example of the style that every beer fan should try at least once or twice. It is not overly rich or sweet and has a nice complex blend of flavors.

10-07-2012 21:29:00 | More by deadonhisfeet
Toddzillamz

4.78/5  rDev +14.6%

I have been harassed for years for turning my nose to dubbels. Don't ask me why. They just didn't sit right with me. Always seemed like the shitty little brother to my lovely quads. Not the juicy quads on these foreign girls that raid my nest, but the herculian brew we all raise a glass to. Those spectacular beverages that push the double digit mark on the ABV scale. For the second time in my life, I have been proven wrong. Avoiding dubbels meant that I was avoiding Westmalle Dubbel, and this beer happens to be one of the most finely tuned brews on God's green earth. The perfect balance. Exceptional taste and mouthfeel. Reminds me of the breasts I had in my mouth this past weekend. This, in turn, reminded me of the third time in my life I had been proven wrong. Right after discovering this special beer, I was approached my a loose-lipped Dutch girl at a hostel I was spending the night in. During conversation, breast size was brought up, and my friend guessed that she was a b-cup. I laughed at the notion that she was a b, since that chest was going nowhere but inward, so leaned closer for further inspection. With the Westmalle Dubbel in one hand, I used my free mitt to size up the specimen. He was right, b-cup. I then finished my Westmalle, and convinced her to fetch more beers. I then went to sleep. She could not trick me into sleeping with her. Since that night, I have realized that when guessing bra size, the b-cup is the go-to cup size. That guess will win you more battles than you lose. There is also such a go-to when it comes to world class beers. This is Westmalle Dubbel. It may not be the people's champ, like the over-hyped c-cup, but it is always the go-to when you need something to bring home. I am now a Dubbel man, and Westmalle is my girl.

10-04-2012 01:28:49 | More by Toddzillamz
Chrysostom

4.88/5  rDev +17%

PRESENTATION: 750mL corked and caged bottle, brown glass. Price: $10.99. Bottled 09/30/10, best by 09/30/12, drank on 10/02/12. The plastic cork is hard as hell to get out of the bottle; I fumbled with it for about 5 minutes, probably bruising my thumbs in the process, and I was sober. Bought from the local package store that hosts beer tastings all the time, and has a massive selection of craft beers and imports. Thank you to Blacklick Wine and Spirits in Columbus, OH.

APPEARANCE: pours nicely in to a large lowball glass (my own choice - I think these styles shine in the straight-sided, wide glasses - dark brown (not black, nowhere near a stout or porter) with strong red ruby highlights when held to the light. Looks like a cola, from what I remember. I don't touch cola, nor anything caffeinated. I stick with alcohol. Darkness hides sediment well.

With a gentle pour, there is little head, but what head is there sticks around. With a vigorous pour, there is a one-and-one-half finger to two-finger head, which dissipates rather quickly while leaving the same ring of head as a gentle pour. It laces the glass decently, but not as well as the Westmalle Tripel I had the other day.

It is quite cloudy from yeast, with a bit of yeast particles congregating or flocculating at the bottom of the glass after the liquid is downed.

SMELL: very nice aroma, a bit boozy, with strong hints - more like already-solved puzzles - of berries, especially blackberry and currant (and red gooseberry and raisin and raspberry[?]). Esters. Like booze-soaked raisins and currants. Almost like a very watered down Sailor Jerry's without the cherry - and I love me some o' the ol' Sailor. It's an excellent smell for the style, but is a little alcoholic, and a bit low on the caramel-like smells that I feel should emanate therefrom; it has no smell of spice which emanates from Rocheforts, and which I have grown to dislike. This smell is almost a five.

MOUTHFEEL: high carbonation for the style, I think (although I've had few Dubbels, and "dark beer" generally is my preference, I've had many Tripels, Belgian Strong Dark and Pale Ales, and Quads), with a somewhat dry astringency on the palate, starting off bubbly, with notes of brut champagne - both in the carbonation and in the flavor itself. It is, according to my preference, a most smooth libation. The carbonation is excellent, but the body is a bit weak in comparison to it; this is a little thinner than I would prefer - although I may be reading too much stout in to this Dubbel - so I subtract 0.5 points.

TASTE: not so much like the aroma. There is no taste of alcohol in this beer - not like the aroma and the 7% ABV would suggest - just an excellent, fruity, brut-champagne-like flavor - that's right, it's fruity without being sweet. Although there seems to be, on some sips, a hint of sweetness, I can't pin it down. There are notable components of yeast, although this yeast lends no "bready" flavor to the beer, contra most other reviewers: I can taste the bread in Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout: I can not taste the bread in this. It is on the rich side for the thin mouthfeel. There is a pronounced, while subtle, grape character: if I did not know otherwise, I would Christen this a "barleywine", as it has more characteristics in common with certain grape-based drinks than any exemplar of that style which hath ever crossed my palate. Not exceedingly complex, but not simple; it is quite drinkable, but not a session beer, although by this point in my review, 5/6 of the way through a 750mL bottle, I'm quite tipsy.

OVERALL, 5/5: I really don't see how this could be improved, even if it's a little low on body and high on carbonation for my tastes, any permutation altering the body and carbonation that I run through in my mind's palate somehow isn't quite as good. This is one of the best beers in the world, to my palate; St Bernardus Abt 12 is easily the best, this being in second place for Belgians, and the top 5 overall.

As a previous reviewer noted, if this is in your glass, this is a special occasion. Drink it daily! I paid $11 for this bottle; it was worth it. I recommend letting it warm for a little before drinking it; my last half-glass out of the bottle was better than my first, which was served around 45ºF or so, maybe 50ºF.

Final verdict: if you haven't had this ale, buy it: it won't let you down. It is more like champagne in consistency and in flavor than any beer I have had otherwise; I'm not a large fan of champagne (I once bought a bottle of Dom Perignon and Moet et Chandon White Star to see if it would make a difference: it didn't), but this isn't a putdown of the beer: it does what champagne could not.

10-02-2012 16:23:33 | More by Chrysostom
rodlavers

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured from a bottle into a Westvleteren tulip. Thick two-finger tan head, dissipates to thin lighter tan head, chunky lacing. dark red/brown color. Looks good to me. Aroma is light on the nose. There is sweet/dark fruit, but also the typical crispness. It's not overwhelming, but the smell is fresh and light. Taste is similar to smell, except less sweetness, more dark fruit. IT does have a "nectar" flavor to it, but again overwhelming. Mouthfeel is fresh and crisp, almost like a champagne, with medium carbonation and relative smoothness. Overall I do really like this beer, perhaps more than Westmalle Triple, but certainly not as much as Rochefort 10 or Westvleteren XII. I would definitely get this again. Cheers.

09-20-2012 23:43:00 | More by rodlavers
SebD

Ontario (Canada)

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance: It has a nice dark mahogany color to it. It has a nice off-white head that dies down moderately and leaves nice lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitly give out hints of dark fruit (plums, grapes, raisins), yeast, caramel and some spiciness.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a nice sweet fruity character giving out notes of grapes, raisins and plums, nice spiciness, some Beligian yeast and some caramel.

Mouthfeel: It has a medium carbonation with a nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with good flavors and aromas.

09-17-2012 01:08:12 | More by SebD
hagbergl

Maryland

4.58/5  rDev +9.8%

Bought a couple 330 mL bottles of the venerable Westmalle Dubbel at the Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont, MA on Sunday for the Patriots game. Glad I'm finally getting around to reviewing this beer–it's one of my all-time favorites. I decanted the bottle into my trusty Dogfish Head snifter. Review is from notes.

Appearance (5/5): Westmalle Dubbel's appearance is textbook Belgian Abbey Ale...this is the blueprint: dark chocolate brown brown with deep red highlights, opaque with some yeast particles hanging in suspension, and topped with a luxuriant two-finger head of pillowy, light tan foam. Its head of foam retains exceptionally well and reduces gradually to a 1/8" tall ring of foam. Beautiful.

Smell (5/5): One word: pungent. An incredibly fruity character, reminiscent to booze-soaked raisins or blackberries, rises from the glass. This strong–though not sugary sweet–fruitiness is no doubt imparted by the Westmalle brewery's extraordinary proprietary yeast (it flexes even more in Westmalle's Tripel ale). There's some light booze in the scent, and some woody characteristics as well.

Taste (4.5/5): Westmalle Dubbel is, as one can easily guess from the aroma, a very fruity and rich tasting beer. Some dark bready notes come on in the foretaste before blooming into dark fruit flavors of blackberry, raisin, and ripe plums. Complex and refined. Strongly yeasty, a little woody, and none of the alcohol hinted at in the smell to be found. The taste is rich without over-the-top.

Mouthfeel (4/5): Westmalle Dubbel is smooth and quite drinkable for a dark Belgian Abbey-style ale. It is also quite dry in the finish, something out of the ordinary for a beer of its style and something that I found to be nice (others have found this characteristic a little off-putting; I guess I'm a sucker for dry finishers). I must criticize Westmalle Dubbel's lack of body, however. It should, in my humble opinion, be a little fuller. This is a huge knock on the beer, overall, but a slightly fuller body would certainly give it a better mouthfeel.

Overall (4.5/5): Westmalle Dubbel is one extremely tasty beer. It packs a ton of great yeasty, fruity flavor into a relatively low ABV package (for the style). Despite being a bit flawed, it's one of the classics of the beer world, and it is a special occasion whenever it's in the glass you're holding. Superb!

09-12-2012 00:58:00 | More by hagbergl
jazzyjeff13

United Kingdom (England)

3.53/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A 330ml bottle with a BB of July 2012, so it's a little out of date. Picked up on a trip to Belgium in September 2010, and stored in my garage. I hope it has aged OK.

Poured into a Delirium chalice. A deep brown with ruby highlights and strong carbonation. Plenty of yeast sediment dives into the glass and clouds the body (that's what I get for leaving it so long). Yields a large head of creamy off-white foam with good retention; this lasts for a while before reducing to a thick surface layer. Aroma of rich, dark malt with notes of brown sugar, caramel, raisins, dried fruit, herbs and stewed leaves. A harsh, dry quality persists in the background, along with a solventy whiff of booze and phenolics.

Tastes of rich, dark malt with a fruity character and a dry finish. Slightly sweet. Notes of dried fruit, raisins, brown sugar, caramel, grain, faint yeast and stewed hops. Rather dry, with an astringent herbal bitterness upon swallowing. A solventy, phenolic character lurks in the background, along with a stale hint of cardboard. Mouthfeel is smooth and tingly, bordering on spicy, but the body seems a tad insubstantial for the style. Quite astringent, with an aftertaste of fruity malt and stewed leaves.

Hmmm - not sure about this one. Perhaps I let it get too old? The sweet, fruity character that I would expect from a dubbel is present, but seems muted. The stewed hop/cardboard notes, on the other hand, are excessive and taint the flavour. The phenolic/alcohol hints also seem disproportionate. I'm not loving it, but I suspect it's gone stale and/or oxidised. I'll try and re-review when I get my hands on a fresher example.

09-08-2012 00:28:45 | More by jazzyjeff13
BMMillsy

4.24/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle from Tipple's in Gainesville. Pours a deep purple brown with a one finger off white head. Aroma of figs, raisins, spice, yeast. Flavor follows with big fig and raisin flavors, some light pears, spicy yeast, sweet brown sugar. Medium to light mouthfeel, medium high carbonation, with a slightly dry finish. Lingering sweet dark fruit on the palate. Only complaint is that I'd like a little more body on this one. Very nice beer!

09-03-2012 01:49:58 | More by BMMillsy
claspada

Pours a cloudy brown color, with a small but dense off-white head that fades very slowly and leaves thick lacing on the glass as it recedes.

The aromas begin with toasted biscuity maltiness with emerging notes of dark fruits, caramel and brown sugar. As it warms the spices from the Belgian yeast become more predominant.

The tastes begin with malty and complex flavors of caramel, dark candied/caramelized brown sugar and dark prunes and fig fruit. Once again the spices from the Belgian yeast emerge as it warms. There is a mild but complimentary hops presence that provides a good balance which I didn't notice in the aroma.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. Finish is dry and yet slightly chewy from the doughy yeast and bready malts.

Overall this is another classic example of a Belgian dubbel. Not my favorite or the best example from Belgiam if you want my opinion, but tasty, not too filling and readily available. Not as good as the tripel but close.

08-27-2012 21:00:02 | More by claspada
mjtiernan

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

330ml bottle poured into a goblet. Best before 13/10/13.

A: Had to slow my roll with this pour to ensure that I got some actual beer. Dark brown body sits beneath a pillowy two-finger head.

S: Oh yeah...wonderful. Caramel, dark fruit (raisin, plum, fig), light fruit (mostly pear and apple). There’s also a solvent characteristic. Each swirl of the glass gives off more effervescent aromas.

T: Like candy. Dominated by really nice dark fruits...mostly plum but also red grape stands out. Esters and bready notes from the yeast also major players. Caramel wasn’t as prominent as other dubbels I’ve had. Finishes with a pleasant tannic dryness.

M: High drinkability just for the fact that I kept wanting more despite its complexity. A velvet creamy beer with soft carbonation.

O: Completely satisfying. To be honest, this is beyond my palate but I did my best. I used to avoid dubbels but it has rapidly become one of my favorite styles. I don’t know if I was drinking the wrong ones or just not paying attention, but I plan to investigate further.

08-15-2012 03:23:54 | More by mjtiernan
cbutova

4.48/5  rDev +7.4%

Not sure how I missed reviewing this one over the years but there is always a good time for a Westmalle Dubbel!

A- Poured into a stemware tulip with a dark brown body. A light tan head forms to a massive size with a foamy texture. Retention is good but it eventually ends up as a bubbly ring with a big cloud in the middle of the beer. Just a few small spots of lace.

S- The glass helps capture a strong yet balanced aroma. Yeast forward with some notes of malts. Belgian spice forward with some slightly phenolic dark fruit and brown nutty malts to balance.

T- I wouldn't call the flavor abrasive but it has that edge that I love in stronger, yeasty Belgian ales. Like the aroma, the flavor is yeasty with dark fruits, raisins, figs, apple, spice and some phenolic qualities. Nutty malts, molasses and brown sugary hints make up a bulk of the remaining flavor. Very slight clove and banana quality.

MF- Carbonation has a nice bite to it at first but goes down rather smoothly in the end. The feel overall is creamy with a nice warmth from the alcohol.

With warmth and each sip, this one just opens up so nicely which I find is the case with great beers. Amazing example of the style and what I look for from a strong yeast Belgian beer. Has that nice edge but doesn't kill you with spice, esters and alcohol.

08-14-2012 01:34:29 | More by cbutova
BeerCon5

4.38/5  rDev +5%

Pours a deep amber color with a firm, frothy tan head that remains throughout the beer.

The scent is full of sweet caramel malt with notes of sweet fruit as well.

The taste is also of sweet caramel malts, some banana and notes of apple. There is also a peppery alcohol presence toward the end.

Medium body, smooth, but prickly, moderate carbonation.

This was a very tasty beer, very nice flavor and easy to drink.

08-10-2012 15:26:54 | More by BeerCon5
Hoppsbabo

United Kingdom (England)

Drunken from a mighty Westmalle goblet glass.

A: Dark ruby red. Head dissipates.

S: (Can't read my scribbles for this).

T: Slightly smokey. Pipe tobacco and cut grass at the back - simple though. Light molasses. Light on sugar. Nice alcoholic flavour. Fizzy and light.

O: Pretty boring. Maybe I don't like dubbels. I think the Westmalle goblet is too domineering for this light tipple.

08-10-2012 08:43:06 | More by Hoppsbabo
angrybabboon

Rhode Island

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Consumed 8/8/12

Appearance: Hazy, dark amber/brown with some ruby highlights - starts with a large, creamy, beige head - leaves streaks of lacing, retains a nice cap indefinitely

Smell: Malty, fruity, and Belgian - cooked, lightly caramelized malts, bread, and toffee - molasses and candi sugar - dark fruits, such as raisins and figs - spicy Belgian yeast, with some clove and bubblegum - some phenols

Taste: More potent than the already-nice aroma - chewy malts, with some caramel, molasses, dark bread, and cooked grains - dark fruit, mostly raisins and figs - spicier than average Belgian yeast, with some light banana esters and clove - candi sugar and some slight alcohol

Mouthfeel: Smooth, nicely carbonated, medium body, with a slight alcohol edge

Overall: Transcends the style

This was the first Belgian Dubbel I ever had, and I loved it so much that I spent months seeking out other, highly-rated Dubbels. But in the last four years, I have yet to find a Dubbel that I like more than this. It's not mind-blowing, but it's nearly perfect for what it is. This is always a treat.

08-08-2012 04:38:51 | More by angrybabboon