Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,158 | Hads: 2,477
3.81/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

picked this up for about $6 at the local package store. It was everything I expected it to be, but just a bit expensive for my current income. I'd gladly pay $2 a bottle all day for this, but I don't know if I'll ever pay that much for such a mid-range beer again.

3.48/5  rDev -16.1%

330 ml bottle from the LCBO

Pours deep amber with a somewhat fizzy tan head. Very nice looking but a lck of head retention lost it some points.

Aromas are very typical of the style but smaller and more subtle then some of the better examples. I like the aroma I just wish it was bigger.

The flavour is similar to the aroma. Everything that should be there in a good dubble is but I find this somehow lacking.

The mouthfeel is a little rough and one thing I really like about dubbles is the soft subtle complexity but this one is rough and brash.

This is a nice brew but I think it will do better with some time in the cellar. Ill review in a year.

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

It took me more then a year to get this beer (and the Tripel) here in central Montana, finally got the local distributor to deliver. Maybe other places one can go out to the local store and get one, but not here. So here we go.

My first one that I tried, foamed out over my counter, ended up with about 5 ounces of drinkable beer (clearly mishandled). The second one however poured perfectly into my Chalice.

Good head, fairly dark, in appearance not that spectacular but good. Smell was exceptional. Taste was nothing else I have tasted, smooth but complex. Nothing short of incredible, worth the wait. I would give up sex to drink this beer.

4.02/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured into...a Nalgene bottle. We were taking it out to the St. Patty's day parade in Chicago, so had to improvise....anywho, on with the review.
A: Nice deep chestnut color, good inch of lighter tan head. Appeared to have a nice bit of carbonation to it as well.
S: Lovely sums it up. Great deep malty smell, definitely picking up the yeast in there as well. Not a ton of hop smell, but still just a little bit on the sweet side.
T: Good up front malt, bit nutty as well. Took a little bit for the hop taste to kick in, with just a hint of alcohol.
M: Nice and strongly carbonated, very full and easy to get down. Considering we were drinking this out of a plastic bottle that had just made a 3 hour jaunt on public transit and foot, it still had just the right amount of carbonation.
D: Pretty easy to put down, but hey, drinking in public is always easier, right? Although it's middle of the road ABV-wise, I'm sure I could put a couple of these down in a sitting.

3.76/5  rDev -9.4%

Poured a medium brown color with a good head. The smell was not very strong, the alcohol was what came through to me. The taste was slightly sweet, but I don't taste the alcohol that I smelled. It had a fairly short finish with a bitterness to it. Very little carbonation in this beer and it was almost syrupy. I really enjoyed this one.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured into a chalice with a dark brown, almost maroon, hue with a tight but small head. I made the mistake of cooling this one too much - it is definitely under the 45-50 degree recommended serving temperature, so I warmed it by holding the glass for a while. The smell is sweet, but not "sugary", if that makes any sense. The smell is not overwhelming, quite subtle, actually, with hints of ripe figs and dates.

This tastes, as expected, like a dubbel, with a slightly smokey or peaty finish that betrays its sweet scent. The 7% ABV remains well hidden, with the exception of a slight alcohol bite on the finish as it warms up. It's solid, yet doesn't quite measure up to my favorite dubbel, St. Bernardous Pater 6.

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

Got this beer in its 11.2 ounce bottle at Gaslight Brewery and Restaurant. I had always wanted to try the westmalle trappist beers and it was a no brainer to finally try it last night. From the first sip, I was drawn by its complexities.
A- Nice brownish red color with limited head. Poured into a westmalle glass (this bar has the right glass for every beer they serve)

S- some caramel notes mixed in with nice dried fruits such as cherries and plum and a good yeast backing.

T- the smell and more. The roastyness surrounded the tantalizing fruit esters. At times their was hints of alcohol and yeast, but they did not get in the way of how great this beer is.

M- Very drinkable. This one is worth taking slow medium size sips because you'll want to enjoy it for as long as possible.

D- Awesome! Could have a couple in a sitting.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Light carmel colored head with medium retention. Mahogany body that is completely opaque.

S - Sweet, intense dark fruits, cherries and ripe banana. Smells amazing.

T - Not nearly as intense in both taste and alcohol as the Tripel, but still really complex and enjoyable.

M - Perfect balance. Nothing is overpowering or underwhelming. Lots of carbonation, alcohol and flavor. Very satisfying.

O - I will seek this beer out again in the future. Wont find it in my neck of the woods, unfortunately.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Dark red/amber with a white head.
S: Belgian
T: One of the best examples of the style. Dried fruit, sweet, belgian esters. A perfect blend into one clean smooth beer.
M: High carbonation but easy to drink.
O: I can't believe I put off trying this beer for years based on a previous disappointment by the same dubbel style. A new 'go-to' for me when I'm craving a belgian. Dark sweet and full of esters and dried fruit. Will buy this one again and again.

4.07/5  rDev -1.9%

A - Dark back color with a white head. Lacing is strong.

S - Sweet and hoppy. What could be better?

T - not too much flavor here, just light booze. What is there is good, there just isn't too much flavor.

M - Exactly what you would expect when you start to dink this beer. Rich feel, smooth and stays with you for a while.

D - I could drink this all night long. Very good beer here.

3.57/5  rDev -14%

Purchased a bottle for roughly 2€.

Nice murky brown colour (a bit too murky in my opinion) topped with a beautiful tan head that stays around for awhile.

A quite nice smell and somehow complex getting some of the yeast and a bit fruit.
The taste is, together with the drinkability, what makes this beer a difficult one to make one's tatse buds to it. Way too carbonated even for a Belgian brew, I shall give it a try leaving it at least a couple of months in the cellar; that's why it is that high my overall grade.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Mahogany. Decent lace and leaves nice foam head.

Smell: Caramel and plum/raisin. Hints of spice

Taste: Very nice profile. Typical for Trappist style dubbel.

Mouthfeel: Good overall balance.

Overall: Very nice Friday night dinner beer. Very good rating.

3.92/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours dark amber/orange. Nice 3 finger off-white head. Aroma is grapey and alcohol, without much detectable malt or hop character. This one is very highly carbonated - went crazy in my mouth - very light and fizzy on the tongue. Tasted fruity and sugary, with an alcohol tinge. Finished smooth and easy - took me more than a few minutes to drink this to try and unravel the flavors.

*this is one of my first belgian brews - excuse my lack of experience in this area.

Poured from a 11.2 oz bottle into a tulip. Two finger, off white head with excellent retention. A dark, hazy mahogany. Beautiful.

Smell. Dark fruits, raisins, apricots, molasses and yeast. A lovely bouquet for sure.

Taste. Hearty flavor. Raisin bread, malty molasses with a light, refreshing finish of fruity apricots and yeast. A kiss of booze warms up the whole flavor and ties it all together nicely.

This is truly a rich brew. Medium-bodied with some nice, not overbearing carbonation along with the bready flavor gives it a hearty feel.

Drinkable. One that I could easily session during a cold winter night like tonight. Warming, hearty, tasty. A winner.

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

A- Very dark in color, amber with hues of maroon. Pours with a luscious strong head. Bubbles continue to elevate while you drink.

S- Average in smell, a lot less of the fruits and sugars yu get from other Belgium beers.

T- Outstanding. Nice bitter bite up front and very malty. YEast less defined than other Belgiums but that leaves way for the dark fruit and malt to seep in. Very enjoyable.

M- Dry but sticks around for a moment.

D- Very much so. Sadly I only had one bottle or I would have had a second right behind it.

All in all, very well crafted dubbel, and one of my favorites in the style. Looking forward to my next one.

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

P: 33cL brown bottle "TRAPPISTENBIER" stamped around the neck.

A: Pours a dark brown with a thick and creamy tan-colored head. Visible bits of black yeast when held up to light.

S: Peppery, slight caramel notes.

T: Chocolate, malty, and fruity. A dry, alcoholic bit after the first impression, but nonetheless, a great experience for the tongue. Warming.

M: Coarse, almost gritty from the yeast. Medium carbonation and relatively thick body.

D: 100% drinkable, and for me, that's an interesting concept for a Belgian Ale. If these didn't cost so much here in FL, I'd consider buying this every week.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Wow...my new favorite dubbel

appearance:nice dark color not too much brussels lace..and It did seem to improve with warming in the glass....losing some of the carbonation

smell:lots of dark stone fruit smells and not allot of estery smells

taste:wow great dark malt flavors with notes of cherry? and other dark stone fruits

mouthfeel...a bit too much carbonation at first then it mellowed and got silky as hell

drinkablity:I could drink this all day

3.78/5  rDev -8.9%

I have really wanted to try a trappist ale for a long time. I really have not tasted many, or maybe any belgians. I hope this is nice place to start.

Popped the top and a quick temp reading shows 49 degrees. Pour into a chalice reveals a dark, dark brew. Hold it up to the light and it is dark, murky brown. Very creamy, robust head that has the tiniest of bubbles. Looks good.

Smell is of spritzy fruit. Almost pungent aroma. Weak Banana bread. Slight alcohol. I think slight cherry?

Taste reveals something very foreign. So this is Belgian ale? Not too bad but very very different. Malt, oak, bitter fruits. Something very earthy about it. Unleavened, or maybe even stale bread. Slight bitterness on the back side. The first drink is very different from the next several. Makes my tongue slightly numb. I can certainly taste yeast. I said I have had very few Belgians but this shares a quality with the ones I have had. I think it is the yeast. Interesting.

I like this stuff and from what I have read it is a good example of the style. I would certainly drink another.

4.4/5  rDev +6%

The Pour: Pours a deep brown with a red huewith a full tan head.

The Smell: Fruity and alcohol was my first indication, followed by nutts and rasins

The Taste: the the wonderful aromas came through in the taste. and they hide the alcohol well.

The Mouthfeel: A well body beer

I could drink a few of these maybe not in one setting thou.

4.76/5  rDev +14.7%

This is the first trappist beer I've tried. Had it today.

Poured out dark, with an unusual brown head. I could see the yeast swimming around at the bottom of my glass as I chose not to filter it.

The smell was the only thing less than magnificant. It didn't really have much of a smell. But the faint smell was fruity and very appealing.

It tasted like fruit and maybe some chocolate thrown in the mix. Nothing low quality about this one.

The mouthfeel wasn't too watery, wasn't too heavy. It was just perfect.

This is definately a premium beer for the connoisseur, appropriate to be enjoyed with a gourmet meal or on a special occasion.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

A great Dubbel with the classic aroma of caramel, malts and beautiful yeast overtones. Classic Belgian pour and color. Taste lingers a bit but leaves you wanting more. Hard to find a better value in a Dubbel A real winner which is readily available in our area. Life is good.

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%

appearance: dark ruby color but no opacity. huge, brown head with extensive lacing

aroma: citrus, fruit, bready and a hint of yeast

mouthfeel: slightly sour, a little bitter, easy to drink. again with a little citrus but as opposed to the aroma, this is definitely stronger on the yeast end

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours an orangish brown. The head drops to just cover the beer but is ever present the entire experience. Lacing is moderate throughout. The nose is typical of banana and cloves. But also peppery funk and sweetness. The taste continues the bananas and cloves but also lends to some Tabasco and tea. The dryness also shows itself in the finish. Very drinkable and wonderful.

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Esta é uma das grandes representantes do estilo dubbel, e mais um respeitado rótulo trapista. Eu só conheci dois rótulo Westmalle, mas os dois mostraram representar cervejas de qualidade suprema, que com que certeza posicionam a cervejaria como um dos grandes nomes do mundo.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle into a pint glass. The beer poured a nice opaque amber color with a beautiful, creamy head that kept its lacing. I must have poured this a lot better than some of my fellow reviewers, because I didn't have the full head that everyone is talking about, but rather an absolutely perfect quarter inch head or so.

The smell is rather difficult to describe, but it is nonetheless pleasant. I'm not a wine expert, but it literally smelled like generic wine. I could discern some fig, wild berries, toffee, malt, chocolate, and of course, alcohol and I'm sure there is plenty of other fruit in it. The smell is tremendous and is only a sign of more good things to come.

The initial taste wasn't nearly as good as it was once it warmed. I've noted before that my refrigerator is quite cold (due to my roommates), but the flavors became quite vibrant and stately once the brew reached closer to room temperature. Absolutely delicious. The blend of fruit, spices, alcohol, and tannin made it almost taste like it smelled - like wine(!)

Mouthfeel was perhaps the weakest (if there is a weakest) part of this brew. I felt as though there was a bit too much carbonation that kept the beer from reaching its true potential until it warmed up. Once warm, however, the brew went down entirely too smooth for a beer with 7% abv.

And that leads to drinkability. Again, for a 7% abv beer, this is almost entirely too drinkable. I'm a bit upset I only bought the single because I can't wait to have another one and to let my friends try this as well. The monks are certainly doing something right, one of the better beers I've had in a long time.

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle