Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,370 | Reviews: 1,148
4.78/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A-Hazy dark brown with a large tan head that gives you a good lace
S-Spices light pepper, banana sweetness, roasted malts and caramel
T-sweet roasted caramel at first with a spice background that gives you a nice hop bitterness in the aftertaste, then finishes with a warming and great balance of all the flavors
M- full carbonation
O-The balance makes this one of the best I have had this year, I always enjoy dubbels

11.2oz bottle poured into a goblet. Best before end 4/15/10.

A: Opaque reddish brown. Nice big Belgian head.

S: Lots and lots of dark fruits. Kind of like walking through the produce section of the grocery store.

T: A pleasant and complex mix of dark fruitiness and piercing bitterness. Finishes rather dry.

M: Smooth and medium-bodied. A lot of carbonation.

D: I'm not that much into dubbels, but this is definitely one of the better ones. Good for anyone jonesing for the fruity esters of a Belgian dark ale but not really in the mood for the knockout blow of a quad.

3.96/5  rDev -5%

Review #300. Went with something a little special, my first Trappist beer.

Appearance: I just realized that I do not have a chalice so I poured the beer from the 11.2 fl oz bottle into a large red wine glass. The beer is a hazy brown. My pour produces a thick tan head, near two inches in height. Head slowly fades to a solid color, leaves some lacing.

Smell: Malty, dark fruit aromas (plum, dark cherry, and other berry scents), touch earthy. Overall I am a little let down by the scent. I did notice a date on the back label, which I assume is a best by date, of 12/06/07. I assume it to mean this beer is nearing its best life, but I would think it would have a little lift left in it.

Taste: Nice maltyness to this one, the dark fruits jump out. A little spiciness with minimal bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full in body. Naturally carbonated with a smooth finish. There is a little alcohol heat when I swallow the beer.

Drinkability: A very good beer, although my expectations may have been a bit high as I was expecting something better than good. A decent beer to try especially if one wants to start into trappist ales. A good solid beer and relatively inexpensive, my small bottle was $3.49 or $3.99, I can't remember exactly.

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured a dark, deep brown with ruby highlights and a speckled beige head. Some sediment in the head as well. Aroma is not very prevalant, but is somewhat sweet.

Dark fruits and sweet molasses bring out the flavor, along with a hint of Belgian spices and red wine. It is a dubbel, to be sure, and is sufficiently complex and fulfilling. I didn't get that special feeling like I have with some other trappists, but that doesn't make this any less of a solid, enjoyable beer.

4.13/5  rDev -1%

Another one courtesy of TheHammer. Bottle to Chimay chalice (also thanks to Marky ;))

Pours a very deep garnet red with 2.5 fingers of thick and creamy off-white head that leaves sheets of sticky lacing down the sides of the glass. Very attractive.

Fresh sweet apple, sour grapes, cherries, candied fruit, yeast, and a hint of alcohol in the nose.

Cherries, sour grapes, candied malt, crisp and clean sweet apple, hints of yeast, and a slightly acidic character in the finish.

Mouthfeel is creamy but crisp and clean, ending dry. The 7% ABV is well concealed. Like the other Dubbel's I've had, this one's a great drinker.

It seems that the more I drink Belgian's, the more I fall in love with them, and this one keeps me going down the same path. In comparison to the Chimay Red I recently had, this interpretation seems musty with a greater emphasis being placed on the sour aspects of the beer. Still, the sourness is excellently balanced with the sweet candied/fruity notes of the beer, and that's one of the things that makes this brew so great.

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

Appearance- dark brown and cloudy in color very murky with little to no light shining through, big thick billowing tan foamy head, Very nice classic dubbel appearance

Smell- very nice malty and sweet smell, there is something on the nose thats nice cant quit pull exactly what it is yet, almost smell of apples, brown sugar, reminds me maybe of the smell of and apple cider, molasses,

Taste- starts a little bit sweet up front with more of that apple and brown sugar, but quickly fades off to what is a nice long lingering dry finish, alot more dry hop to the finish then I would have thought of the nose, balance is nice between sweet and dry,

Mouthfeel- Light crisp and refreshing with a good level of carbonation, and a definite drying finish

Drinkability- definitely high drinkable and I appreciate greatly about this beer is the fact they are able to make this a very nice flavorful dubbel while still maintaining its alcohol at 7 percent which is actually still manageable and doesnt knock you to hard like some can, the balance also also of dryness with sweetness to start make you really looking forward to your next sip, , If i had to say the overally most surprising part of this beer it would be its pronounced dryness, a very solid example of a trappist

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

Served in a chalice. Beer poured a dark brown with a nice creamy head. Plenty of carbonation, but not over carbonated. Malty taste with very little hop bitterness, little bit of an alcohol kick at the end. I would love to drink more than one, but with the price and alcohol content this may not be one of my better ideas. Good beer to drink, especially if you find a decent price on it.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

2.5/5  rDev -40%

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

A- Dark chocolate brown with light ruby hues. Small ring of foam and film after a conservative pour. I might should have poured it a little more swiftly to get some good head going, I have none.

S- Cherries! That is definitely the first and strongest aroma coming from this glass. I also catch some red grapes and plums. I can catch some vanilla very slightly and also a lemon scent there too.

T- Again, Cherries! This is almost like a cherry beer to me. That taste and smell overtakes me on this one. I also sense the same red grapes, red apples and a somewhat lime-like taste. Alcohol is present in the aftertaste.

M- Medium to high on carbonation. The general mouthfeel is nice and pleasant as far as the thickness of the brew goes.

D- A little too sweet to me. Not an overly drinkable beer because of the sweetness and richness.

Overall- Very good and enriched tastes and smells. However, that made it one dimensional to me. The overall taste and smell was cherries. If it added more complexity than this, I would be a bigger fan. This one didn't do that for me, but all in all was a nice offering.

4.04/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured a 33 cL bottle dated March 27, 2010 into a St. Bernardus challice.
A: Murky mahogany brown, it poured with a puffy, spritzy tan head that died to a film.
S: Brown sugar, raisin, banana, and cinnamon bread.
T: Heavy cinnamon raisin bread, cranberry vodka alcohol, leafy hops (though less so than Chimay beers), and slightly bitter--more so than the aroma suggests.
M: Thin, frothy, and almost spritzy.
D: I wouldn't want more than 750 mL in a sitting.

3.35/5  rDev -19.7%

poured into a tulip. best before 2/3/12.

a - pours a murky, deep mahogany shade and forms a massive, tan, foamy head the second it hits the glass. after calming to a thin cap, head is easily revived by swirling the beer around. leaves a few puffs of lacing in my glass.

s - musty and leathery, brown sugar, nutty malt, notes of cola.

t - surprisingly light in the flavor department. i'm getting mostly carmel malt with prominent spice and a light bitter twinge on the back of the tongue. finishes clean and dry. honestly, i'm a bit disappointed.

m - a little on the thin side with far too much carbonation. feels just like a coke or pepsi in the mouth.

o - not a bad beer, but for almost $6 a bottle i was expecting much more. seems to be lacking the richness and fuller body typical of the style. maybe i just got a bad batch, but i doubt i would buy this again.

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.25/5  rDev -22.1%

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours amber brown, with a sustaining white head with lots of lace.

Oh the smell. A complicated mix of raisins, chocolate and lemons. Also some alcohol here.

Fruitcake roast chocolate flavor. Sweet and malty with an ever so lite noble hop presence.

Nice "Belgian" carbonation and full rich body. I'm very impressed with this beer, Long live Belgium!

Pours a very creamy head, with a nice toasted-brown colour. Colour is dark opaque brown. Aroma of dry fruits, raisins, chololate and spices, pepper maybe? I think a notice some coriander too. Mouth is of a somewhat harsh, but nice taste of caramel, spices, aniseed. Chocolate and port wine too.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Dated: 22/12/11, 1 16037
From: The Beer Temple

G: Chimay Chalice

A: Dark ruby red body with one finger of off white head. Dissipates to a thin ring rather quickly. Typical dubbel characteristics.

S: Funky yeast is prominate here, following dark fruits and some spices. The yeast is much stronger than other types I've had. I

T: Following the aromas, yeast is up front with figs following. There is also hints of various spices in the end.

M: Medium bodied and high carbonation. Frothy texture and sticky bitter aftertaste.

D: Good beer, it's a little to much funk for me, but it's an interesting experience.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle