Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros
firstprev| 1076-1100 | 1101-1125 | 1126-1150  | next → last
Reviews: 1,149 | Hads: 2,437
4.92/5  rDev +18.8%

A-Pours a deep dark brown with a lively, off white, three finger head. Takes some time to dissipate, lacing clings to the side as the glass nears empty.

S-Lively and complex. Warm chocolate, toffee, butterscotch, malts, phenols and raisins. Pipe tobacco. The smell is really something amazing, I find myself taking in the aroma before every sip.

T- This is the good stuff! Definitely a warm, chocolaty alcohol note followed by the hops and finally a sweet malty character. The same flavors from the smell are still present. Chocolate, smooth malts, raisin, coriander, bread, honey, milk and sugar. A long lasting mildly sweet aftertaste lingers on the palate. Everything is balanced and in check here. Nothing seems out of place.

M- Wonderfully clean for such a complex beer. Leaves the tongue tingling.

D- Oh yeah. Definitely a sipping beer though. I find myself wanting to take a swig or two but when all those tastes hit my tongue I can't bring myself to do it. A great beer with which to sit and waste the evening away.

Yes! I finally got the chance to try this amazing beer and it was everything I wanted it to be and more. I really wondered if it would live up to the hype but I found it to surpass what I was expecting. I think a glass of this every week would do a body good. (1,289 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a dark brown color with a fluffy two finger head that fades away rather slowly leaving lacing all throughout the glass.

Smells of sweet candy sugar, fruity esters, spices, slight alcohol warmness,brown bread pulled out of the oven.

Slight spicy upfront with a hint of sweetness and finishes off with a tad bit of dryness. Amazing how you can always tell when your drinking a belgian beer.

Medium bodied, smooth and velvet like with right amount of carbonation.

Nice drinkability on this one. (501 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -7.7%

A - dark cherry brown. I poured the beer poorly and had a little extra head, no big deal, it just released a few more of the esters.

S - applish notes and a slighly woody aroma.

T - choclatety taste but very dry, even bitter aftertaste

M - coats mouth nicely. heavy and doesn't

D - I would only have 1 or 2. Not really a session beer despite it's reasonable ABV. (367 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +4.3%

Head: This beer has a cream colored head with a medium hold

Color: Beer has a nice dark cider/amber color

Aroma: It has a roasty/chocolate smell with very faint hoppy scent.

Taste: It has a rich, umami flavor/spice..sweet & bitter beer. Very tasy.

Mouth-feel: Has a creamy, smooth mouthfeel...very nice. Medium carbination...easy to drink. (344 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -6.3%

12 oz. bottle into a goblet, served around 55 degrees. Probably shoulda poured it colder.

Appearance - Instant gusher, pure head spilling on the table. When I got the pour going, I saw a very pretty burnt orange / amber translucent pour, and a light tan head rising to about 1", with a few tiny brown sediment specks in places. Very pretty. Head disappeared after a several minutes & sips - leaving some spotty lacing in places around the goblet.

Smell - Yeasty sweet, with a hint of cloves and bananas. Not too much in the way of malt.

Taste - A little bland at first. Fruity notes emerged - a tartness on the front of my tongue, and then bananas with the swallow. But the underlying taste was pretty unremarkable.

Mouthfeel - Pleasant fuzz on the tip of the tongue to accompany the tartness. A medium-body in the rest of my mouth, and a smooth swallow.

Drinkability - I have to say that I was expecting a little more, especially for the price tag. I will try again, this time controlling the experiment by chilling the beer a little bit more. Hopefully this changes its character a little bit. (1,100 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

Overall, this double is very agreable, easy to drink. Aroma of caramel malt, raisins and banana. Brown color, medium body, lively carbonation and bitter finish. This beer is medium sweet and bitter, well balanced with notes of banana and something that makes me think of almond-flavoured liqueur. (296 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

Less carbonation than I expected. The cork only flew a couple of feet (didn't even punch a hole in the ceiling tile).
Pours very dark with a small lacey tan head. Subtle deep fruity aromas. Smooth strong toasted, caramel maltiness dominates flavor with a very complex dark fruit profile (some spice and plum) arising in the aftertaste.
Damn good Dubbel! (355 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12.3%

I usually judge beer with this much hype with doubt in the back of my mind. Found it on-tap at the Zotte in Amsterdam.

Looks like a very standard strong Belgian. Deep brown with a creamy tan head.

The smell is slightly caramel, a hint of candy and the smell of, how to describe... a homebrew that has too much refined sugar added to it, resulting in extra alcohol. However, it's not a bad smell by any means.

Mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy. The taste is almost sweet, but not too sugar sweet or malty, just right. It has a slight chocolate and caramel taste, then ends with the hops making an appearance.

Overall, despite my reservations with hyped beers, I was pleasantly surprised. I actually ordered another at the end of the evening. For a Dubbel, this one ranks at the very top for me. Sets the bar very high for strong ales, without a doubt. (857 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured from bottle into goblet style glass.

APP- A dark caramel color, poured with a healthy head, dissipated fairly quickly. Very little lacing.

Aroma - Hits strong with deep fruity aroma, leaving way for a chocolaty, sweet smell shortly after.

Taste - Very similar to aroma, big dark fruits leading off, then a thick sweet caramel - malty taste, which coats the mouth. Hints of acidity, but very little in the taste of alcohol.

MF - Light carbonation, medium bodied, but as mentioned coats the palate with an aftertaste of deep roasted caramel malts.

OVR - A very drinkable beer, quite complex, and the alcohol is very well masked. I find the balance between the sweetness of the roasted malts, and the acidity / sour of the fruitiness just a little off. The only reason it scored lower in certain areas. (815 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -8.7%

I tried this beer a week ago over all a great beer, had a malty and hoppy feel taste and smell. Slightly bitter, with a smell of Omami, had a medium hold on the glass, the texture and taste was creamy with a hint of coco and dried fruits. I would recommend this beer to anyone who a beer that is not to bitter or sweet rather perfectly balanced. Have fun. (355 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -8.2%

Reviewed on Apr 24, 2009
33cl bottle poured into a Westmalle Trappist glass. Pours dark brown with ample tan frothy head. Beautiful yummy looking beer. Smells malty and sweet. Flavour is like nuts or raisins, kind of sweet and bitter. Palate is smooth with light carbonation. Doesn't taste as alcoholic as a lot of Belgian dubbels... especially for a Trappist. Very drinkable beer. (381 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +15%

This is a very drinkable Trappist and I enjoyed it very much. Excellent head and lacing. Aroma reminded me of a warm summer day laying in a field of summer flowers. Fresh and pure and thanking God your alive. It has spirt and lets you know your not drinking some light beer of ordinary taste. It will awaking your tastebuds and make you feel like the warm sun is shinning on you. Can't say enough about it , just try it and see. (428 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Aroma: Sweet malty, some caramel, slight alcohol.

Appearance: Dark amber color, creamy Tan head

Flavor: Malty upfront, (compliments the color), sweetness is more pronunced but a balanced bitterness is noted as well . A dry
bitterness in the finish

Mouth feel
Medium-Full, creaminess and a dryness (302 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Bought a 0.75 liter bottle of this brew, as my first trappist and was surprised in a good way.

Appearance is a hazy brown, and very (I mean very) foamy, definitely good to look at. Aroma of malts and wood mostly to my nose. Taste is very long-lasting, with dark fruits at first, ending with wood and dry notes. Mouth feel is not light but not heavy carbonation either, falls in between. The aroma is not as complex and nice as the taste, so don't let the first impression fool you. Definitely worth trying, glad I did. (519 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Foam was retained well. When eaten with cheese and spicy mustard, flavor was experienced more subtly. Immediately, one tastes lightly-roasted coffee, but the flavor guides the drinker through hoppy bitterness into a chocolatey-smooth finish. Aftertaste is roasted barley, of a strong chocolate origin.

I usually prefer their Tripel to this one, but if you match it with a meal the Dubbel can compliment food nicely. (416 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -17.9%

Purchased one week ago, bottle has a buy by date of 4/4/09. Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle at approximately 50-55 degrees F. into a pint glass. Coloring was a very pretty dark reddish brown, very very little head and what little there was dissipated quickly, consequently very little lacing. Quite a lot of carbonation, lots of small bubbles racing rapidly toward the surface. Nice malty aroma and I was eagerly anticipating a full body/heavy ale. Good initial malt flavor but the mouth feel was not at all what I'd been expecting from it's aroma. Fairly thin/light mouth feel, somewhat dry finish with a faint sweetness remaining on the center of my tongue, possibly a very faint citrus note. All in all it's flavor was good, it is a drinkable enough ale just not as heavy as I like and definitely not something I'd likely pay as much for as I did this time. (858 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12.3%

33cL bottle poured into Westmalle chalice

A: deep rich reddish brown, minimal head

S: there's a hint of alcohol soon followed by aromas of fruits, getting excited now

T: bubbly, alcohol is well hidden by the melange of fruits, pleasantly bitter aftertaste

D: absolutely amazing, but strong, definitely a keeper, worth the trouble to find (341 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +12.1%

Apperance - A nice dark brown with quite a bit of frothy head that fades to a tiny white layer.

Aroma - Subtle malts and sweetness with quite a sour smell in this example

Taste - Almost a sour bitterness offset nicely by sugary notes. Complex malt character is present as well for a great balance.

Mouthfeel - Thick yet smooth to the point I notice it disappearing faster than anticipated. Fairly light carbonation. Aftertaste is sweet and somewhat syrupy.

Drinkability - As a huge dubbel fan, this is one of my favorites and i could drink this guy all day. That being said, it may be a tad too sweet for more than a single bomber in one sitting. (652 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +2.2%

A- Burnt amber, lying underneath a hefty and rich bronze head. After a short while, the head mellows, but is nicely retained. Beautiful lacing.

S- Cassis, apple, pear, molasses, a slight spiciness, and a faint bubblegum sweetness.

T- Begins with a mix of fruity tart and burnt brown sugar, which is balanced by full-on Belgian yeastiness. Finish is dry and bitter.

M- The perfect level of carbonation, in my opinion: definitely present, but not oppressive. The bitterness of the beer lingers in the back corners of the mouth. I tend to drink beers slowly, and after about 10-15 minutes, the carbonation has significantly softened. I suppose this is to be expected.

D- Highly drinkable. It's not a heavy beer, and the bitterness does not close my stomach. I could definitely go for another. (794 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +4.3%

this is my first review bear with me please. pored on 02/17/10 best before 03/02/11

poors a dark caramel color with a lot of head creamy head with very little lacing also some nice little floaty bits that sink and leave a kind of goo in the bottom of your glass. 4.5

the smell is the best thing about this beer it very floral kind of bready and a little sweet and you really cant smell the alcohol at all. 5

a little citric to start fallowed by kind of coffee like taste then ending with a bit of Belgian sweetness that i am very fond of. 4

the mouth feel is a bit lacking for double i think it is a little watery the carbonation is very nice allowing the flavors to almost instantly travel across your mouth tickling the back of your throat at the very end. but over all not as thick as i would like. 3.5

i could have a another but the high abv is a little off putting but over all very nice. 4.5

note: i bought this from a import/organic food store in the us and it was very price like 12 bucks for a 11.2 oz a bottle there are other dubbels i would drink before this for that price but over a very good beer (1,118 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

I had this on tap at the Mercure in Nijmegen. I couldn't believe they had it there, as I was used to getting it by the bottle back in Wisconsin. The bartender said they actually weren't supposed to even have it on tap, but somehow they did. So of course I had to have several during my two-night stay in Holland.
I am a huge fan of Belgian beer and thought this particular dubbel was outstanding as usual.

Appearance - A very colorful brown/dark color with some good legs to boot.
Smell - Dark fruity, mild, smooth smelling aroma.
Taste - I could taste a dark fruit, perhaps raisins or prunes. Definitely some grapes as well, overall very tasty.
Mouthfeel - A very dry after taste which initially was surprising to me, and the carbonation made my mouth tingle. (765 characters)

firstprev| 1076-1100 | 1101-1125 | 1126-1150  | next → last