Join our email list →

Brouwerij Westmalle
Belgium | website

Dubbel | 7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,167 | Hads: 2,541
3.89/5  rDev -6.3%

A: It's a dark brown, red highlighted beer, with a bubbly light tan head that doesn't last too long or foam over the glass ( this happened with this beer's sister brew, Westmalle Trippel).

S: Caremel-like sweetness, dark sweet fruits and a bit of pleasant breadiness, smells as pleasant as it looks.

T: Fruits dominate the taste palate. Syruppy, caramelesque flavors penetrate the frutiness to blend a sweet, rich taste of great complexity and balance.

M&D: High alcohol limits the drinkability, but there is at least an attempt to hide the apparent booziness...Not the most sessionable, but easily worth having a few.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

11.2 ounce bottle into a Belgian tulip glass.

A: Brown with a beige creamy head. Fine bubbles. Larger than expected head.

S: Clean, almost soapy (not in a bad way). Prunes.

T: Fruity like the smell, prunes and raisins, and with molasses.

M: Bubbly with a little bit dry finish.

D: Balanced. Easy to drink. I would have another.

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%

I got this beer on accident when I ordered the Tripple. It was a little disappointing, considering the A rating. Flavor is good, but not terribly complex. If you like the Bernardus, you might like this one, but there are better Belgian ales, in my opinion.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Date on bottle: 31/01/06

Poured in a pint glass (cause that's all I have atm). Poured a dark hazelnut color with a tight two finger head. Finished with yeast in the head, which doesn't bother me.

Smell was figs and heavy malts.

Taste was heavy but the ABV was hidden well. Hints of prunes were throughout the first few sips, than subtled down once reaching towards room temp.

Mouthfeel left a bitter feel in the back of the throat, well played.

Overall a phenomenal beer.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

LLove this beer. Underappreciated. Slow drinker like your suppose to drink beer. For the mature drinker. Classic dubbel with dryness like champagne. Goes well with cheese pastries my wife makes. Expensive even if you can find a deal. Three is usually all I can drink. This is not for the chugger. Dont leave in your freezer more than an hour or you have a slushy,which still tastes awesome. Ive discovered that if you wait till you get close to the expiration date on the back it becomes sweeter. One of my favorite beers to enjoy. Please try with patience.

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

A- pours a dark red-chestnut brown, two fingers of thick cream colored head that dissipated into a thin bubbly layer.

S- nutty, caramel malts, toffee. Smell is on the sweeter side for a dubbel

T- balanced malt and nutty flavors, very subtle toffee. Not as sweet as the smell would lead you to believe

M- well carbonated, but still provides a pleasant smooth mouthfeel, moderate body

D- very drinkable beer, one of my personal favorite dubbels. Well balanced, no overwhelming flavors, could definitely drink a few of these in one setting.

4.73/5  rDev +14%

I have been harassed for years for turning my nose to dubbels. Don't ask me why. They just didn't sit right with me. Always seemed like the shitty little brother to my lovely quads. Not the juicy quads on these foreign girls that raid my nest, but the herculian brew we all raise a glass to. Those spectacular beverages that push the double digit mark on the ABV scale. For the second time in my life, I have been proven wrong. Avoiding dubbels meant that I was avoiding Westmalle Dubbel, and this beer happens to be one of the most finely tuned brews on God's green earth. The perfect balance. Exceptional taste and mouthfeel. Reminds me of the breasts I had in my mouth this past weekend. This, in turn, reminded me of the third time in my life I had been proven wrong. Right after discovering this special beer, I was approached my a loose-lipped Dutch girl at a hostel I was spending the night in. During conversation, breast size was brought up, and my friend guessed that she was a b-cup. I laughed at the notion that she was a b, since that chest was going nowhere but inward, so leaned closer for further inspection. With the Westmalle Dubbel in one hand, I used my free mitt to size up the specimen. He was right, b-cup. I then finished my Westmalle, and convinced her to fetch more beers. I then went to sleep. She could not trick me into sleeping with her. Since that night, I have realized that when guessing bra size, the b-cup is the go-to cup size. That guess will win you more battles than you lose. There is also such a go-to when it comes to world class beers. This is Westmalle Dubbel. It may not be the people's champ, like the over-hyped c-cup, but it is always the go-to when you need something to bring home. I am now a Dubbel man, and Westmalle is my girl.

I had this one on bottle.
I like the appearance of this beer. Brown - black color with a little bit red into it.
The head looks a bit tan and frothy.
This beer smells, in my opinion, like nuts, dark chocolate and a little burn smell.
I tasted a litte bitterness which persist to the finish. The finish duration is average.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Had this beer at the Rathskellar in Indianapolis.

Appearance: Dark, with barely a lacing of head in the glass.

smell: very sweet smelling, Lots of bananas upfront, and dates.

taste: started with a sweet fruity taste met with a then complex mash of chocolate, and a dry taste of alchohol

mouthfeel: varied, started out smooth, but became grainy from the yeast at the bottom of the bottle.

drinkability: at 7% abv, you wouldn't know there is alchohol in it. I would have had several if it hadn't been for the drive home.

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance - Pours russet brown, opaque, even when held directly up to a light, with amber tones around the edge. The head is tan and fluffy, about 1/8'' at the end.

Smell - Fruity and slightly spicy, with hints of raisin and plum and some rum-like aroma.

Taste - Matches the aroma closely - raisiny with some plum and spiciness and caramel notes. This beer is sweet in the middle and has a surprisingly clean finish w/moderately lingering bitterness. Mouth feel is light to moderate in my opinion and this is a drinkable beer given its complexity and a decent kick at 7% ETOH.

Overall this is an enjoyable, complex beer that makes me want to try more in this style and experiment matching w/food.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

A - Poured into a Westmalle Goblet. It has a brown with reddish tones in appearance with a small head after the pour.

S - High Malt and a hint of cherries.

T - Complex flavor. Semi-Sweet with a dry finish. Carmel and cherries are what I sense.

M - Medium carbonation. Very Smooth and you like is more and more as you drink it.

D - I am not going to say it's a session beer at 7%, but it's highly drinkable.

I love this beer it's has become may favorite dubbel.

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

Serving: Center-poured from 11.2 oz bottle into a large snifter glass.

This beer pours a beautiful, dark chocolate brown color with a dense, foamy tan head which has excellent retention.

Aromas of caramel/toffee and fruit are very prevalent with the initial pour. As head slowly (and I mean slowly) fades, you cannot help but to keep your nose in it, further picking up the aroma of caramel, dates, and berries with some malt, but not as much as one would expect from a Trappist.

Still sniffing all the way up until it touches the tongue, one may taste the aromas described above, but also with a proper, mild bitterness. It feels smooth as it enters the mouth onto the tongue, then gently bites you in the back as you swallow.

The drinkabilty is superb, for it gets better and better with every sip and as it gradually warms, further enhancing the flavor. "Trappist" should be its own group on the food pyramid. Despite the cost and trouble to find it in the states, I wouldn't mind having one every day.

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

After recently acquiring a job bartending at a Belgian Bar in New York, I have been delighted with my exposure to new beers and with a full immersion of the Belgian styles. I have since taken a new favorite, Westmalle Dubbel. Everything about this beer is amazing. I love the mouthfeel and could drink this beer alone, with food, on a cold day, or in an alley and I would be happy. I feel that the carbonation combined with the subtle notes of chocolate and malt just make an explosion of flavor that surprised me the first time I drank one. I was a huge fan of the Triple and randomly tried the Dubbel and soon found a new favorite. The proper pour in the proper glass just gives me a happy feeling every time I return to it. Combine this with the traditional Belgian Carbonnades Flammandes for an exceptional dinner.

4.02/5  rDev -3.1%

Very fresh bottle, poured into an unbranded chalice. Bottle from the local grocery store.

Gently pouring the bottle out, it left me with a full glass of clear, dark caramel colored beer with a big foamy head lasting for about two minutes.

It smells like a lot of malt, yeast and dark dried fruits (raisins)

This bottle was bottled on 6 dec. 2011, so the taste was very fresh and very bitter. Not so sweet at all at this moment. I like an older bottle better, but I needed a young bottle for the yeast.

Mouthfeel is very nice. Perfectly carbonated, creamy with a touch of alcohol. Aftertaste balanced to little bitter.

Overall a very good beer. Needs some time to develop into a sweeter, less bitter, complex and interesting beer. Not so interesting when young, but I now it's full potential.

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

Just picked up a small bottle at Hy-Vee. Actually thought I saw La Chouffe, but was mistaken, so this was what I bought.
Pours nice with a semi-cloudy dark amber color, not much lace, but lots of smell! I read some reviews on the Hy-Vee, directed toward the fact that they keep their Belgiums on the top shelf close to the lights, but I don't get any stale skunky taste from this one.
Smells and tastes as if there is a slight Bock taste, smooth, semi-sweet, some chocolate, but doesn't bother hiding the 7% ABV as indicated on the bottle. I think I could drink more of these, but at the price....I dunno.
Mouth feel is comparable to other Belgiums I've had, so it doesn't dissapoint. Reminds me ALOT of a good bock, I can't get past that.
As stated before, I could drink more of these. Nice beer! Recommend trying this one!!

4.21/5  rDev +1.4%

I was very happy to find the Belgian-owned Delhaize grocery store here in Cologne, which stocks a few Belgian beers for a very reasonable price (this 12 oz bottle literally rang up for less than an kiosk espresso). One can only drink so much kölsch in Cologne.

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass. This beer is very dark in color. The head has medium sized bubbles and a tannish hue. Yeast collects in the bottom of the glass.

The smell is not bold at all. It smells of malts and yeast with a hint of sweetness. It tastes like a delicious dark bread, hints of carmel and chocolate (though not as heavy as a typical porter) and a touch of bitterness. It is extremely smooth, with a great creamy mouth feel. There is hardly any aftertaste or an real warming effect as you swallow.

A solid dubble, which I am happy that I can enjoy so frequently.

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

thanks again chefscott79.

a - I love the appearance of this beer. very cloudy golden caramel color.

s - smells of lightly burnt sugar and dates. some light fruity notes, apple core as well.

t - the taste is great. black cherry, dates. finishes woody and jammy.

m - carbonation is moderate, i was worried because it had a fake cork and it didn't 'pop' when i opened it.

d - i've heard that this is an excellent example of a dubble. i greatly enjoyed it and could drink this anytime.

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

A-Pours a deep dark brown with a lively, off white, three finger head. Takes some time to dissipate, lacing clings to the side as the glass nears empty.

S-Lively and complex. Warm chocolate, toffee, butterscotch, malts, phenols and raisins. Pipe tobacco. The smell is really something amazing, I find myself taking in the aroma before every sip.

T- This is the good stuff! Definitely a warm, chocolaty alcohol note followed by the hops and finally a sweet malty character. The same flavors from the smell are still present. Chocolate, smooth malts, raisin, coriander, bread, honey, milk and sugar. A long lasting mildly sweet aftertaste lingers on the palate. Everything is balanced and in check here. Nothing seems out of place.

M- Wonderfully clean for such a complex beer. Leaves the tongue tingling.

D- Oh yeah. Definitely a sipping beer though. I find myself wanting to take a swig or two but when all those tastes hit my tongue I can't bring myself to do it. A great beer with which to sit and waste the evening away.

Yes! I finally got the chance to try this amazing beer and it was everything I wanted it to be and more. I really wondered if it would live up to the hype but I found it to surpass what I was expecting. I think a glass of this every week would do a body good.

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a dark brown color with a fluffy two finger head that fades away rather slowly leaving lacing all throughout the glass.

Smells of sweet candy sugar, fruity esters, spices, slight alcohol warmness,brown bread pulled out of the oven.

Slight spicy upfront with a hint of sweetness and finishes off with a tad bit of dryness. Amazing how you can always tell when your drinking a belgian beer.

Medium bodied, smooth and velvet like with right amount of carbonation.

Nice drinkability on this one.

3.82/5  rDev -8%

A - dark cherry brown. I poured the beer poorly and had a little extra head, no big deal, it just released a few more of the esters.

S - applish notes and a slighly woody aroma.

T - choclatety taste but very dry, even bitter aftertaste

M - coats mouth nicely. heavy and doesn't

D - I would only have 1 or 2. Not really a session beer despite it's reasonable ABV.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

Head: This beer has a cream colored head with a medium hold

Color: Beer has a nice dark cider/amber color

Aroma: It has a roasty/chocolate smell with very faint hoppy scent.

Taste: It has a rich, umami flavor/spice..sweet & bitter beer. Very tasy.

Mouth-feel: Has a creamy, smooth mouthfeel...very nice. Medium carbination...easy to drink.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

12 oz. bottle into a goblet, served around 55 degrees. Probably shoulda poured it colder.

Appearance - Instant gusher, pure head spilling on the table. When I got the pour going, I saw a very pretty burnt orange / amber translucent pour, and a light tan head rising to about 1", with a few tiny brown sediment specks in places. Very pretty. Head disappeared after a several minutes & sips - leaving some spotty lacing in places around the goblet.

Smell - Yeasty sweet, with a hint of cloves and bananas. Not too much in the way of malt.

Taste - A little bland at first. Fruity notes emerged - a tartness on the front of my tongue, and then bananas with the swallow. But the underlying taste was pretty unremarkable.

Mouthfeel - Pleasant fuzz on the tip of the tongue to accompany the tartness. A medium-body in the rest of my mouth, and a smooth swallow.

Drinkability - I have to say that I was expecting a little more, especially for the price tag. I will try again, this time controlling the experiment by chilling the beer a little bit more. Hopefully this changes its character a little bit.

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

Overall, this double is very agreable, easy to drink. Aroma of caramel malt, raisins and banana. Brown color, medium body, lively carbonation and bitter finish. This beer is medium sweet and bitter, well balanced with notes of banana and something that makes me think of almond-flavoured liqueur.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Less carbonation than I expected. The cork only flew a couple of feet (didn't even punch a hole in the ceiling tile).
Pours very dark with a small lacey tan head. Subtle deep fruity aromas. Smooth strong toasted, caramel maltiness dominates flavor with a very complex dark fruit profile (some spice and plum) arising in the aftertaste.
Damn good Dubbel!

4.65/5  rDev +12%

I usually judge beer with this much hype with doubt in the back of my mind. Found it on-tap at the Zotte in Amsterdam.

Looks like a very standard strong Belgian. Deep brown with a creamy tan head.

The smell is slightly caramel, a hint of candy and the smell of, how to describe... a homebrew that has too much refined sugar added to it, resulting in extra alcohol. However, it's not a bad smell by any means.

Mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy. The taste is almost sweet, but not too sugar sweet or malty, just right. It has a slight chocolate and caramel taste, then ends with the hops making an appearance.

Overall, despite my reservations with hyped beers, I was pleasantly surprised. I actually ordered another at the end of the evening. For a Dubbel, this one ranks at the very top for me. Sets the bar very high for strong ales, without a doubt.

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle