Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,157 | Hads: 2,458
4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

A - Poured into a Westmalle Goblet. It has a brown with reddish tones in appearance with a small head after the pour.

S - High Malt and a hint of cherries.

T - Complex flavor. Semi-Sweet with a dry finish. Carmel and cherries are what I sense.

M - Medium carbonation. Very Smooth and you like is more and more as you drink it.

D - I am not going to say it's a session beer at 7%, but it's highly drinkable.

I love this beer it's has become may favorite dubbel. (492 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12.8%

Serving: Center-poured from 11.2 oz bottle into a large snifter glass.

This beer pours a beautiful, dark chocolate brown color with a dense, foamy tan head which has excellent retention.

Aromas of caramel/toffee and fruit are very prevalent with the initial pour. As head slowly (and I mean slowly) fades, you cannot help but to keep your nose in it, further picking up the aroma of caramel, dates, and berries with some malt, but not as much as one would expect from a Trappist.

Still sniffing all the way up until it touches the tongue, one may taste the aromas described above, but also with a proper, mild bitterness. It feels smooth as it enters the mouth onto the tongue, then gently bites you in the back as you swallow.

The drinkabilty is superb, for it gets better and better with every sip and as it gradually warms, further enhancing the flavor. "Trappist" should be its own group on the food pyramid. Despite the cost and trouble to find it in the states, I wouldn't mind having one every day. (1,010 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +17.1%

After recently acquiring a job bartending at a Belgian Bar in New York, I have been delighted with my exposure to new beers and with a full immersion of the Belgian styles. I have since taken a new favorite, Westmalle Dubbel. Everything about this beer is amazing. I love the mouthfeel and could drink this beer alone, with food, on a cold day, or in an alley and I would be happy. I feel that the carbonation combined with the subtle notes of chocolate and malt just make an explosion of flavor that surprised me the first time I drank one. I was a huge fan of the Triple and randomly tried the Dubbel and soon found a new favorite. The proper pour in the proper glass just gives me a happy feeling every time I return to it. Combine this with the traditional Belgian Carbonnades Flammandes for an exceptional dinner. (818 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -2.9%

Very fresh bottle, poured into an unbranded chalice. Bottle from the local grocery store.

Gently pouring the bottle out, it left me with a full glass of clear, dark caramel colored beer with a big foamy head lasting for about two minutes.

It smells like a lot of malt, yeast and dark dried fruits (raisins)

This bottle was bottled on 6 dec. 2011, so the taste was very fresh and very bitter. Not so sweet at all at this moment. I like an older bottle better, but I needed a young bottle for the yeast.

Mouthfeel is very nice. Perfectly carbonated, creamy with a touch of alcohol. Aftertaste balanced to little bitter.

Overall a very good beer. Needs some time to develop into a sweeter, less bitter, complex and interesting beer. Not so interesting when young, but I now it's full potential. (796 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +0.7%

Just picked up a small bottle at Hy-Vee. Actually thought I saw La Chouffe, but was mistaken, so this was what I bought.
Pours nice with a semi-cloudy dark amber color, not much lace, but lots of smell! I read some reviews on the Hy-Vee, directed toward the fact that they keep their Belgiums on the top shelf close to the lights, but I don't get any stale skunky taste from this one.
Smells and tastes as if there is a slight Bock taste, smooth, semi-sweet, some chocolate, but doesn't bother hiding the 7% ABV as indicated on the bottle. I think I could drink more of these, but at the price....I dunno.
Mouth feel is comparable to other Belgiums I've had, so it doesn't dissapoint. Reminds me ALOT of a good bock, I can't get past that.
As stated before, I could drink more of these. Nice beer! Recommend trying this one!! (830 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +1.7%

I was very happy to find the Belgian-owned Delhaize grocery store here in Cologne, which stocks a few Belgian beers for a very reasonable price (this 12 oz bottle literally rang up for less than an kiosk espresso). One can only drink so much kölsch in Cologne.

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass. This beer is very dark in color. The head has medium sized bubbles and a tannish hue. Yeast collects in the bottom of the glass.

The smell is not bold at all. It smells of malts and yeast with a hint of sweetness. It tastes like a delicious dark bread, hints of carmel and chocolate (though not as heavy as a typical porter) and a touch of bitterness. It is extremely smooth, with a great creamy mouth feel. There is hardly any aftertaste or an real warming effect as you swallow.

A solid dubble, which I am happy that I can enjoy so frequently. (856 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

thanks again chefscott79.

a - I love the appearance of this beer. very cloudy golden caramel color.

s - smells of lightly burnt sugar and dates. some light fruity notes, apple core as well.

t - the taste is great. black cherry, dates. finishes woody and jammy.

m - carbonation is moderate, i was worried because it had a fake cork and it didn't 'pop' when i opened it.

d - i've heard that this is an excellent example of a dubble. i greatly enjoyed it and could drink this anytime. (491 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +18.8%

A-Pours a deep dark brown with a lively, off white, three finger head. Takes some time to dissipate, lacing clings to the side as the glass nears empty.

S-Lively and complex. Warm chocolate, toffee, butterscotch, malts, phenols and raisins. Pipe tobacco. The smell is really something amazing, I find myself taking in the aroma before every sip.

T- This is the good stuff! Definitely a warm, chocolaty alcohol note followed by the hops and finally a sweet malty character. The same flavors from the smell are still present. Chocolate, smooth malts, raisin, coriander, bread, honey, milk and sugar. A long lasting mildly sweet aftertaste lingers on the palate. Everything is balanced and in check here. Nothing seems out of place.

M- Wonderfully clean for such a complex beer. Leaves the tongue tingling.

D- Oh yeah. Definitely a sipping beer though. I find myself wanting to take a swig or two but when all those tastes hit my tongue I can't bring myself to do it. A great beer with which to sit and waste the evening away.

Yes! I finally got the chance to try this amazing beer and it was everything I wanted it to be and more. I really wondered if it would live up to the hype but I found it to surpass what I was expecting. I think a glass of this every week would do a body good. (1,289 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a dark brown color with a fluffy two finger head that fades away rather slowly leaving lacing all throughout the glass.

Smells of sweet candy sugar, fruity esters, spices, slight alcohol warmness,brown bread pulled out of the oven.

Slight spicy upfront with a hint of sweetness and finishes off with a tad bit of dryness. Amazing how you can always tell when your drinking a belgian beer.

Medium bodied, smooth and velvet like with right amount of carbonation.

Nice drinkability on this one. (501 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -7.7%

A - dark cherry brown. I poured the beer poorly and had a little extra head, no big deal, it just released a few more of the esters.

S - applish notes and a slighly woody aroma.

T - choclatety taste but very dry, even bitter aftertaste

M - coats mouth nicely. heavy and doesn't

D - I would only have 1 or 2. Not really a session beer despite it's reasonable ABV. (367 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +4.3%

Head: This beer has a cream colored head with a medium hold

Color: Beer has a nice dark cider/amber color

Aroma: It has a roasty/chocolate smell with very faint hoppy scent.

Taste: It has a rich, umami flavor/spice..sweet & bitter beer. Very tasy.

Mouth-feel: Has a creamy, smooth mouthfeel...very nice. Medium carbination...easy to drink. (344 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -6.3%

12 oz. bottle into a goblet, served around 55 degrees. Probably shoulda poured it colder.

Appearance - Instant gusher, pure head spilling on the table. When I got the pour going, I saw a very pretty burnt orange / amber translucent pour, and a light tan head rising to about 1", with a few tiny brown sediment specks in places. Very pretty. Head disappeared after a several minutes & sips - leaving some spotty lacing in places around the goblet.

Smell - Yeasty sweet, with a hint of cloves and bananas. Not too much in the way of malt.

Taste - A little bland at first. Fruity notes emerged - a tartness on the front of my tongue, and then bananas with the swallow. But the underlying taste was pretty unremarkable.

Mouthfeel - Pleasant fuzz on the tip of the tongue to accompany the tartness. A medium-body in the rest of my mouth, and a smooth swallow.

Drinkability - I have to say that I was expecting a little more, especially for the price tag. I will try again, this time controlling the experiment by chilling the beer a little bit more. Hopefully this changes its character a little bit. (1,100 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

Overall, this double is very agreable, easy to drink. Aroma of caramel malt, raisins and banana. Brown color, medium body, lively carbonation and bitter finish. This beer is medium sweet and bitter, well balanced with notes of banana and something that makes me think of almond-flavoured liqueur. (296 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

Less carbonation than I expected. The cork only flew a couple of feet (didn't even punch a hole in the ceiling tile).
Pours very dark with a small lacey tan head. Subtle deep fruity aromas. Smooth strong toasted, caramel maltiness dominates flavor with a very complex dark fruit profile (some spice and plum) arising in the aftertaste.
Damn good Dubbel! (355 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12.3%

I usually judge beer with this much hype with doubt in the back of my mind. Found it on-tap at the Zotte in Amsterdam.

Looks like a very standard strong Belgian. Deep brown with a creamy tan head.

The smell is slightly caramel, a hint of candy and the smell of, how to describe... a homebrew that has too much refined sugar added to it, resulting in extra alcohol. However, it's not a bad smell by any means.

Mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy. The taste is almost sweet, but not too sugar sweet or malty, just right. It has a slight chocolate and caramel taste, then ends with the hops making an appearance.

Overall, despite my reservations with hyped beers, I was pleasantly surprised. I actually ordered another at the end of the evening. For a Dubbel, this one ranks at the very top for me. Sets the bar very high for strong ales, without a doubt. (857 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured from bottle into goblet style glass.

APP- A dark caramel color, poured with a healthy head, dissipated fairly quickly. Very little lacing.

Aroma - Hits strong with deep fruity aroma, leaving way for a chocolaty, sweet smell shortly after.

Taste - Very similar to aroma, big dark fruits leading off, then a thick sweet caramel - malty taste, which coats the mouth. Hints of acidity, but very little in the taste of alcohol.

MF - Light carbonation, medium bodied, but as mentioned coats the palate with an aftertaste of deep roasted caramel malts.

OVR - A very drinkable beer, quite complex, and the alcohol is very well masked. I find the balance between the sweetness of the roasted malts, and the acidity / sour of the fruitiness just a little off. The only reason it scored lower in certain areas. (815 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -8.7%

I tried this beer a week ago over all a great beer, had a malty and hoppy feel taste and smell. Slightly bitter, with a smell of Omami, had a medium hold on the glass, the texture and taste was creamy with a hint of coco and dried fruits. I would recommend this beer to anyone who a beer that is not to bitter or sweet rather perfectly balanced. Have fun. (355 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +16.7%

Of all the Belgium beers I have tried I would say this is probably my favourite. Even on a recent trip to brugge I tried the much heralded Westvleteren 12 and preferred this beer. There are some superb beers in Belgium but this is one hits the spot. (249 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -8.2%

Reviewed on Apr 24, 2009
33cl bottle poured into a Westmalle Trappist glass. Pours dark brown with ample tan frothy head. Beautiful yummy looking beer. Smells malty and sweet. Flavour is like nuts or raisins, kind of sweet and bitter. Palate is smooth with light carbonation. Doesn't taste as alcoholic as a lot of Belgian dubbels... especially for a Trappist. Very drinkable beer. (381 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +15%

This is a very drinkable Trappist and I enjoyed it very much. Excellent head and lacing. Aroma reminded me of a warm summer day laying in a field of summer flowers. Fresh and pure and thanking God your alive. It has spirt and lets you know your not drinking some light beer of ordinary taste. It will awaking your tastebuds and make you feel like the warm sun is shinning on you. Can't say enough about it , just try it and see. (428 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Aroma: Sweet malty, some caramel, slight alcohol.

Appearance: Dark amber color, creamy Tan head

Flavor: Malty upfront, (compliments the color), sweetness is more pronunced but a balanced bitterness is noted as well . A dry
bitterness in the finish

Mouth feel
Medium-Full, creaminess and a dryness (302 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Bought a 0.75 liter bottle of this brew, as my first trappist and was surprised in a good way.

Appearance is a hazy brown, and very (I mean very) foamy, definitely good to look at. Aroma of malts and wood mostly to my nose. Taste is very long-lasting, with dark fruits at first, ending with wood and dry notes. Mouth feel is not light but not heavy carbonation either, falls in between. The aroma is not as complex and nice as the taste, so don't let the first impression fool you. Definitely worth trying, glad I did. (519 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Foam was retained well. When eaten with cheese and spicy mustard, flavor was experienced more subtly. Immediately, one tastes lightly-roasted coffee, but the flavor guides the drinker through hoppy bitterness into a chocolatey-smooth finish. Aftertaste is roasted barley, of a strong chocolate origin.

I usually prefer their Tripel to this one, but if you match it with a meal the Dubbel can compliment food nicely. (416 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -17.9%

Purchased one week ago, bottle has a buy by date of 4/4/09. Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle at approximately 50-55 degrees F. into a pint glass. Coloring was a very pretty dark reddish brown, very very little head and what little there was dissipated quickly, consequently very little lacing. Quite a lot of carbonation, lots of small bubbles racing rapidly toward the surface. Nice malty aroma and I was eagerly anticipating a full body/heavy ale. Good initial malt flavor but the mouth feel was not at all what I'd been expecting from it's aroma. Fairly thin/light mouth feel, somewhat dry finish with a faint sweetness remaining on the center of my tongue, possibly a very faint citrus note. All in all it's flavor was good, it is a drinkable enough ale just not as heavy as I like and definitely not something I'd likely pay as much for as I did this time. (858 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12.3%

33cL bottle poured into Westmalle chalice

A: deep rich reddish brown, minimal head

S: there's a hint of alcohol soon followed by aromas of fruits, getting excited now

T: bubbly, alcohol is well hidden by the melange of fruits, pleasantly bitter aftertaste

D: absolutely amazing, but strong, definitely a keeper, worth the trouble to find (341 characters)

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle