Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros
BeelzeBrew

3.88/5  rDev -7%

A: It's a dark brown, red highlighted beer, with a bubbly light tan head that doesn't last too long or foam over the glass ( this happened with this beer's sister brew, Westmalle Trippel).

S: Caremel-like sweetness, dark sweet fruits and a bit of pleasant breadiness, smells as pleasant as it looks.

T: Fruits dominate the taste palate. Syruppy, caramelesque flavors penetrate the frutiness to blend a sweet, rich taste of great complexity and balance.

M&D: High alcohol limits the drinkability, but there is at least an attempt to hide the apparent booziness...Not the most sessionable, but easily worth having a few.

11-03-2009 14:10:46 | More by BeelzeBrew
sadie23

Arizona

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

11.2 ounce bottle into a Belgian tulip glass.

A: Brown with a beige creamy head. Fine bubbles. Larger than expected head.

S: Clean, almost soapy (not in a bad way). Prunes.

T: Fruity like the smell, prunes and raisins, and with molasses.

M: Bubbly with a little bit dry finish.

D: Balanced. Easy to drink. I would have another.

05-26-2010 02:56:11 | More by sadie23
Machinehead

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

I got this beer on accident when I ordered the Tripple. It was a little disappointing, considering the A rating. Flavor is good, but not terribly complex. If you like the Bernardus, you might like this one, but there are better Belgian ales, in my opinion.

06-23-2010 04:51:54 | More by Machinehead

matdot

Georgia

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Date on bottle: 31/01/06

Poured in a pint glass (cause that's all I have atm). Poured a dark hazelnut color with a tight two finger head. Finished with yeast in the head, which doesn't bother me.

Smell was figs and heavy malts.

Taste was heavy but the ABV was hidden well. Hints of prunes were throughout the first few sips, than subtled down once reaching towards room temp.

Mouthfeel left a bitter feel in the back of the throat, well played.

Overall a phenomenal beer.

09-21-2005 22:52:20 | More by matdot
GLM0011

Alabama

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

LLove this beer. Underappreciated. Slow drinker like your suppose to drink beer. For the mature drinker. Classic dubbel with dryness like champagne. Goes well with cheese pastries my wife makes. Expensive even if you can find a deal. Three is usually all I can drink. This is not for the chugger. Dont leave in your freezer more than an hour or you have a slushy,which still tastes awesome. Ive discovered that if you wait till you get close to the expiration date on the back it becomes sweeter. One of my favorite beers to enjoy. Please try with patience.

10-23-2011 18:13:02 | More by GLM0011
browna71

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

A- pours a dark red-chestnut brown, two fingers of thick cream colored head that dissipated into a thin bubbly layer.

S- nutty, caramel malts, toffee. Smell is on the sweeter side for a dubbel

T- balanced malt and nutty flavors, very subtle toffee. Not as sweet as the smell would lead you to believe

M- well carbonated, but still provides a pleasant smooth mouthfeel, moderate body

D- very drinkable beer, one of my personal favorite dubbels. Well balanced, no overwhelming flavors, could definitely drink a few of these in one setting.

12-16-2010 04:31:13 | More by browna71
KotR

01-27-2012 17:19:01 | More by KotR
Jerreve

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

01-08-2012 09:33:36 | More by Jerreve
Toddzillamz

4.78/5  rDev +14.6%

I have been harassed for years for turning my nose to dubbels. Don't ask me why. They just didn't sit right with me. Always seemed like the shitty little brother to my lovely quads. Not the juicy quads on these foreign girls that raid my nest, but the herculian brew we all raise a glass to. Those spectacular beverages that push the double digit mark on the ABV scale. For the second time in my life, I have been proven wrong. Avoiding dubbels meant that I was avoiding Westmalle Dubbel, and this beer happens to be one of the most finely tuned brews on God's green earth. The perfect balance. Exceptional taste and mouthfeel. Reminds me of the breasts I had in my mouth this past weekend. This, in turn, reminded me of the third time in my life I had been proven wrong. Right after discovering this special beer, I was approached my a loose-lipped Dutch girl at a hostel I was spending the night in. During conversation, breast size was brought up, and my friend guessed that she was a b-cup. I laughed at the notion that she was a b, since that chest was going nowhere but inward, so leaned closer for further inspection. With the Westmalle Dubbel in one hand, I used my free mitt to size up the specimen. He was right, b-cup. I then finished my Westmalle, and convinced her to fetch more beers. I then went to sleep. She could not trick me into sleeping with her. Since that night, I have realized that when guessing bra size, the b-cup is the go-to cup size. That guess will win you more battles than you lose. There is also such a go-to when it comes to world class beers. This is Westmalle Dubbel. It may not be the people's champ, like the over-hyped c-cup, but it is always the go-to when you need something to bring home. I am now a Dubbel man, and Westmalle is my girl.

10-04-2012 01:28:49 | More by Toddzillamz
Amarchand

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

07-11-2013 02:44:09 | More by Amarchand
abijen

Netherlands

3.99/5  rDev -4.3%

I had this one on bottle.
I like the appearance of this beer. Brown - black color with a little bit red into it.
The head looks a bit tan and frothy.
This beer smells, in my opinion, like nuts, dark chocolate and a little burn smell.
I tasted a litte bitterness which persist to the finish. The finish duration is average.

03-14-2013 09:40:40 | More by abijen

07-04-2014 23:48:04 | More by mlew
mcnut

Indiana

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

Had this beer at the Rathskellar in Indianapolis.

Appearance: Dark, with barely a lacing of head in the glass.

smell: very sweet smelling, Lots of bananas upfront, and dates.

taste: started with a sweet fruity taste met with a then complex mash of chocolate, and a dry taste of alchohol

mouthfeel: varied, started out smooth, but became grainy from the yeast at the bottom of the bottle.

drinkability: at 7% abv, you wouldn't know there is alchohol in it. I would have had several if it hadn't been for the drive home.

09-14-2006 14:41:15 | More by mcnut
lowbrau68

New Hampshire

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance - Pours russet brown, opaque, even when held directly up to a light, with amber tones around the edge. The head is tan and fluffy, about 1/8'' at the end.

Smell - Fruity and slightly spicy, with hints of raisin and plum and some rum-like aroma.

Taste - Matches the aroma closely - raisiny with some plum and spiciness and caramel notes. This beer is sweet in the middle and has a surprisingly clean finish w/moderately lingering bitterness. Mouth feel is light to moderate in my opinion and this is a drinkable beer given its complexity and a decent kick at 7% ETOH.

Overall this is an enjoyable, complex beer that makes me want to try more in this style and experiment matching w/food.

10-21-2007 20:01:04 | More by lowbrau68
BFrost

Louisiana

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

Serving: Center-poured from 11.2 oz bottle into a large snifter glass.

This beer pours a beautiful, dark chocolate brown color with a dense, foamy tan head which has excellent retention.

Aromas of caramel/toffee and fruit are very prevalent with the initial pour. As head slowly (and I mean slowly) fades, you cannot help but to keep your nose in it, further picking up the aroma of caramel, dates, and berries with some malt, but not as much as one would expect from a Trappist.

Still sniffing all the way up until it touches the tongue, one may taste the aromas described above, but also with a proper, mild bitterness. It feels smooth as it enters the mouth onto the tongue, then gently bites you in the back as you swallow.

The drinkabilty is superb, for it gets better and better with every sip and as it gradually warms, further enhancing the flavor. "Trappist" should be its own group on the food pyramid. Despite the cost and trouble to find it in the states, I wouldn't mind having one every day.

12-27-2010 08:43:13 | More by BFrost
Samashley

4.88/5  rDev +17%

After recently acquiring a job bartending at a Belgian Bar in New York, I have been delighted with my exposure to new beers and with a full immersion of the Belgian styles. I have since taken a new favorite, Westmalle Dubbel. Everything about this beer is amazing. I love the mouthfeel and could drink this beer alone, with food, on a cold day, or in an alley and I would be happy. I feel that the carbonation combined with the subtle notes of chocolate and malt just make an explosion of flavor that surprised me the first time I drank one. I was a huge fan of the Triple and randomly tried the Dubbel and soon found a new favorite. The proper pour in the proper glass just gives me a happy feeling every time I return to it. Combine this with the traditional Belgian Carbonnades Flammandes for an exceptional dinner.

12-24-2010 06:47:31 | More by Samashley
supermantoine

Netherlands

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

Very fresh bottle, poured into an unbranded chalice. Bottle from the local grocery store.

Gently pouring the bottle out, it left me with a full glass of clear, dark caramel colored beer with a big foamy head lasting for about two minutes.

It smells like a lot of malt, yeast and dark dried fruits (raisins)

This bottle was bottled on 6 dec. 2011, so the taste was very fresh and very bitter. Not so sweet at all at this moment. I like an older bottle better, but I needed a young bottle for the yeast.

Mouthfeel is very nice. Perfectly carbonated, creamy with a touch of alcohol. Aftertaste balanced to little bitter.

Overall a very good beer. Needs some time to develop into a sweeter, less bitter, complex and interesting beer. Not so interesting when young, but I now it's full potential.

01-10-2012 23:06:30 | More by supermantoine