Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 11.2 oz brown, dated 14/07/07 into a goblet. Thick, creamy head forms. The bubbles keep rising adding to it. The color is a wonderful amber brown.

It smells wonderful: with rich malt, hint of alcohol, and a touch of fruit. The taste backs this up. Rich, full. Lightly toasted bread. Hint of hops staying in there to match with the malt.

It's a joy to drink and feel. Very yummy.

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is an expensive pour, but it's beer done right. Westmalle comes through with an extremely complex Dubbel. It's what I've come to expect from the Belgian Trappists. In this tasty tug-of-war, one subtle flavor will be the victor of a sip, another flavor will capture the next, and so on. Those monks sure know their craft. Two of these make me want to jump on a plane and spend next month's rent on a Belgian beer tour - anyone care to join me?

Spent the rent
On a Dubbel.
Wife calls Antwerp
I'm in trouble.

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from a bottle into an Orval chalice.

Appearance - very deep brown, mahogany I guess. Nice tan head, stuck around a little while.

Smell - boozy, caramel, dark fruit. Just what you would expect.

Taste - fabulous. You taste the alchocol but surrounding it is a harvest of other flavors, dark fruit, caramel.

Mouthfeel - exceptional. Carbonation perfected.

Drinkability - at 7% I am about done with one but could go on forever if possible.

A fantastic beer like all Trappist ales.

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

750 mL bottle. Dark brown-maroon color with a nice frothy off-white head that stays throughout the life of the pour. Great lacing. Aroma of raisins, plum and malt. Mouthfeel is slightly thin and watered down. Taste of malt, caramel, yeast and plum with a great velvety finish.

3.36/5  rDev -19.4%

Had this one fresh on-tap, wasn't that impressed. Maybe a bit too soft for me, or too fresh, no pronounced flavors or aromas to me, not remarkable. Will pass final judgement when I get one from a bottle. I've noticed I like bottles more than tap at the moment...

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

Served from bottle in chalice.
Appearance: Quite a dark beer. Somewhat rocky head that dissipated a little faster than I expected. Too dark to accurately check clarity, but it does seem a little opaque. Some lacing on glass.
Smell: Scent of sour apples, and some alcohol. No hops noticable to my American-micro spoiled nose.
Taste: Not nearly as much sour apple as I expected from the smell, but it is still there as a baseline, accompanied by a hint of pineapple. Smooth sweet malt balances this flavor out almost as an afterthought. Quite full in flavor, with a slightly woody undertone. Alcohol is there, but more as a bite than a flavor. It is really growing on me as it warms and more flavors become apparent. I keep wanting to say I detect vanilla flavors, but if so, they are rather subtle. There is definitely a lot there that I can't put my finger on.
Mouthfeel: Sharp and biting at first sip, with rather high carbonation. Body is rather full, and finishes smooth despite astringent alcohol on the tongue.
Drinkability: Pretty good, but despite its relatively low alcohol content, I want to drink this slowly. I don't think I would want more than one of these in a sitting. Just too strong in flavor for that, but I will definitely try this again.

3.96/5  rDev -5%

Poured into a tulip glass. Served at 45F & allowed to warm up a bit.

Appearance is dark brown/red - mahogany is really the best descriptor. Huge 3-finger tan head, dissipates slowly. Medium bubble size. Clear with a swish of yeast. Could've poured it better were it not for the huge head.

Aroma is raisin, light alcohol, banana as it warms up.

Healthy/lively carbonation, as expected, but not sharp on the tongue.

Flavor is date, lightly bitter. Cassis perhaps. Smells sweeter than it tastes (I love that). Very slight tang at the finish.

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

11.2 oz bottle dated 4/11/15, poured in a chalice. Pours a dark brown in color. Head didn't retain for very long. Carbonation is on the above average side. The smell first struck me as cinnamon, perhaps raisins as well. Taste reminds me of a Cherry Coke with a very full body, creamy and malty. Very interesting taste for a beer. The sweetness really lingers in the aftertaste, and it is very pleasant. I really enjoyed this beer.

3.41/5  rDev -18.2%

Dark hazy brown, almost burgundy. Light tan head of small bubbles. Big at first, dissipates to a nice opaque cover. Aroma is yeasty and bready with notes of raison and alcohol. Like whole wheat bread, slightly bitter with a lingering raisony sweetness, slightly metallic. There are more complexities I can’t put my finger on, but still somewhat dissapointing for a style generally characterized by rich and deep flavors. Sharp carbonation bite. Medium bodied and dissapointingly ‘water-downed’ for a dubbel. More drinkable than many Dubbels, but comes at the expense of good body and strong flavor. A decent beer, but not as good as the Westmalle Tripel.

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle