Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,372 | Reviews: 1,148

3.88/5  rDev -7%

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

4.12/5  rDev -1.2%

Aah ! Trappist beers... the secrets and the cult behind every bottle...I heard Monks are the ones making the beer for their own consumption and for the community...Come on, really ? There's just no way Cistercian Monks are responsable for the massive production of Westmalle beers. The word on the street is that laities (professional Brewers) are the ones making the beer under monks supervision so they can reach production needs. I mean Westmalle is so big in Belgium, you can find it easier than Leffe ! Still is a good beer though.

So here I am again back from work and drinking beer and tonight I chose Westmalle. Poured in a trappist chalice glasse with a good healthy looking 1 centimeter head, this is a dark brown beer. A few bubbles rushing to the head and alot of sendiments du to the bottle fermentation.
This beer smells delicious. I get dried prunes and figs, notes of caramel and cardamom.

Before having a sip I think you should let it rest in the glasse for a few minutes and let some of the carbonation disband, this will help you appreciate the taste rather then having it hidden by to much carbonation.
This Westmalle dubbel is quite sweet at first but then you get the roasted grain bitterness that kicks in just right, my bottle has a good year of aging so I get a sort of rusty metalic taste on the tip of the tongue.
This is a good beer but not my favorite Trappistenbier.

Cheers lads

WS

3.97/5  rDev -4.8%

4.41/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from bottle. A gnarly head developed that took a while to settle into a still large head that was fluffy. A lot of aroma from this beer. Mostly a sweet smell. Some fruits and bready scents.

Taste was spicy with a hint of fruits like raspberries. Caramel sweetness on the end. There were different flavors developing constantly and it combined with great a mouthfeel. Highly drinkable. Very impressed.

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

A dark brown hazy liquid with a massive head wich slowly fades to leave some very nice lacing. This beer looks mysteriously inviting to me...

The first thing that hits my nose is a crispy tone of wet grass, then citrus and yeast. Hay, and caramel malts comes to my mind as well.

The taste is even more crispy that the smell suggested. The citrus and grass comes first, along with some apples and bitterness of lemon peel. Then comes the heavier tastes; roasted malts, yeast, figs.

A very well balanced beer. Big bubbles as one would expect, very smooth and warm feeling. Calmness...

After drinking almost nothing but american IPAs for the last year this was the perfect reminder why belgians were the ones who got me into craft beer.

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my third time drinking Westmalle Trappist Dubbel.

A - This murky reddish-brown Trappist Dubbel pours with a huge, meringue-like head that leaves lots of scattered, tan lacing and collapses very slowly. Very appealing. There's some serious yeast sediment present in the second pour and I'm OK with that.

S - Dessert in a bottle. Very sweet smelling.

T - You may not like your first sip. Or your second. I can't explain it, but my taste buds had to adjust to this. The taste is not as sweet as the smell. The taste improves tremendously as I work my way through the second pour.

M - A bit astringent, which seems to accentuate the hops. It's just subtle enough that it is soon overcome by the excellent overall flavor of this Belgian ale.

D - I just finished my first and I want another, if that tells you anything. But at $7 a bottle, I only bought one. :-(

2.5/5  rDev -40%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle