Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros
4.93/5  rDev +18.2%

A - Medium-brown body; nearly opaque. Very fluffy tan head fills out the Westmalle chalice quite nicely. Very active carbonation is visible.

S - The aroma is absolutely heavenly, and unfortunately my words probably won't do it justice. I smell figs, plums, candies, and malt- all in perfect balance. Not a single characteristic overwhelms the others. Quite honestly, I don't believe I've had a beer with a more delightful aroma than this.

T - The taste is beyond wonderful and fantastically complex. Malty sweetness up front (very well controlled), a tiny bit of alcohol warmth in the middle, and the tiniest hint of bitterness round out this heavenly experience. Laugh if you will, but the only food I've paired with this is a sugar cookie last Christmas just for kicks (which, believe it or not, worked very well). It's actually so wonderfully good that I can't imagine pairing it with anything at all (aside from my one-time cookie experiment) for fear of muting the flavor. This one stands well on its own.

M - Again; I don't think this can be topped for the style. The body hovers between some lighter dubbels and heavier quads. The carbonation is perfect- it dances on your tongue without impacting the taste whatsoever.

O - There's no doubt in my mind; this is a fantastic beer. It's by far my favorite dubbel, and I don't think anything else I've tried even comes close. Sadly it's taken me several years to get around to reviewing this (just as I'm lagging behind on reviewing everything else I've tried), but I decided to pop one open tonight and share my thoughts. The price is very reasonable as well- particularly when considering the pricier offerings that can't manage to come close as far as quality.

mikedotnet, Oct 31, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

Bottle gives dark brown color with thick lasting off-white head. Nice aroma of dark fruits and yeast. Taste matches aroma with dark fruits, malts, yeast, spice - a bit sharper than I am used to with dubbels. Finish mildly bitter, thin mouthfeel. Overall just a step above OK.

randjuke, May 22, 2010

DerekKetelaars, Apr 22, 2013

rgrissom, Mar 04, 2014

5Solas, Aug 10, 2014
3.88/5  rDev -7%

A: It's a dark brown, red highlighted beer, with a bubbly light tan head that doesn't last too long or foam over the glass ( this happened with this beer's sister brew, Westmalle Trippel).

S: Caremel-like sweetness, dark sweet fruits and a bit of pleasant breadiness, smells as pleasant as it looks.

T: Fruits dominate the taste palate. Syruppy, caramelesque flavors penetrate the frutiness to blend a sweet, rich taste of great complexity and balance.

M&D: High alcohol limits the drinkability, but there is at least an attempt to hide the apparent booziness...Not the most sessionable, but easily worth having a few.

BeelzeBrew, Nov 03, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

11.2 ounce bottle into a Belgian tulip glass.

A: Brown with a beige creamy head. Fine bubbles. Larger than expected head.

S: Clean, almost soapy (not in a bad way). Prunes.

T: Fruity like the smell, prunes and raisins, and with molasses.

M: Bubbly with a little bit dry finish.

D: Balanced. Easy to drink. I would have another.

sadie23, May 26, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

I got this beer on accident when I ordered the Tripple. It was a little disappointing, considering the A rating. Flavor is good, but not terribly complex. If you like the Bernardus, you might like this one, but there are better Belgian ales, in my opinion.

Machinehead, Jun 23, 2010

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

b_marga, Dec 03, 2013
4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Date on bottle: 31/01/06

Poured in a pint glass (cause that's all I have atm). Poured a dark hazelnut color with a tight two finger head. Finished with yeast in the head, which doesn't bother me.

Smell was figs and heavy malts.

Taste was heavy but the ABV was hidden well. Hints of prunes were throughout the first few sips, than subtled down once reaching towards room temp.

Mouthfeel left a bitter feel in the back of the throat, well played.

Overall a phenomenal beer.

matdot, Sep 21, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

LLove this beer. Underappreciated. Slow drinker like your suppose to drink beer. For the mature drinker. Classic dubbel with dryness like champagne. Goes well with cheese pastries my wife makes. Expensive even if you can find a deal. Three is usually all I can drink. This is not for the chugger. Dont leave in your freezer more than an hour or you have a slushy,which still tastes awesome. Ive discovered that if you wait till you get close to the expiration date on the back it becomes sweeter. One of my favorite beers to enjoy. Please try with patience.

GLM0011, Oct 23, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

A- pours a dark red-chestnut brown, two fingers of thick cream colored head that dissipated into a thin bubbly layer.

S- nutty, caramel malts, toffee. Smell is on the sweeter side for a dubbel

T- balanced malt and nutty flavors, very subtle toffee. Not as sweet as the smell would lead you to believe

M- well carbonated, but still provides a pleasant smooth mouthfeel, moderate body

D- very drinkable beer, one of my personal favorite dubbels. Well balanced, no overwhelming flavors, could definitely drink a few of these in one setting.

browna71, Dec 16, 2010

KotR, Jan 27, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Jerreve, Jan 08, 2012
4.78/5  rDev +14.6%

I have been harassed for years for turning my nose to dubbels. Don't ask me why. They just didn't sit right with me. Always seemed like the shitty little brother to my lovely quads. Not the juicy quads on these foreign girls that raid my nest, but the herculian brew we all raise a glass to. Those spectacular beverages that push the double digit mark on the ABV scale. For the second time in my life, I have been proven wrong. Avoiding dubbels meant that I was avoiding Westmalle Dubbel, and this beer happens to be one of the most finely tuned brews on God's green earth. The perfect balance. Exceptional taste and mouthfeel. Reminds me of the breasts I had in my mouth this past weekend. This, in turn, reminded me of the third time in my life I had been proven wrong. Right after discovering this special beer, I was approached my a loose-lipped Dutch girl at a hostel I was spending the night in. During conversation, breast size was brought up, and my friend guessed that she was a b-cup. I laughed at the notion that she was a b, since that chest was going nowhere but inward, so leaned closer for further inspection. With the Westmalle Dubbel in one hand, I used my free mitt to size up the specimen. He was right, b-cup. I then finished my Westmalle, and convinced her to fetch more beers. I then went to sleep. She could not trick me into sleeping with her. Since that night, I have realized that when guessing bra size, the b-cup is the go-to cup size. That guess will win you more battles than you lose. There is also such a go-to when it comes to world class beers. This is Westmalle Dubbel. It may not be the people's champ, like the over-hyped c-cup, but it is always the go-to when you need something to bring home. I am now a Dubbel man, and Westmalle is my girl.

Toddzillamz, Oct 04, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

Amarchand, Jul 11, 2013
3.99/5  rDev -4.3%

I had this one on bottle.
I like the appearance of this beer. Brown - black color with a little bit red into it.
The head looks a bit tan and frothy.
This beer smells, in my opinion, like nuts, dark chocolate and a little burn smell.
I tasted a litte bitterness which persist to the finish. The finish duration is average.

abijen, Mar 14, 2013