Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros
4.58/5  rDev +9.8%

P: 33cL brown bottle "TRAPPISTENBIER" stamped around the neck.

A: Pours a dark brown with a thick and creamy tan-colored head. Visible bits of black yeast when held up to light.

S: Peppery, slight caramel notes.

T: Chocolate, malty, and fruity. A dry, alcoholic bit after the first impression, but nonetheless, a great experience for the tongue. Warming.

M: Coarse, almost gritty from the yeast. Medium carbonation and relatively thick body.

D: 100% drinkable, and for me, that's an interesting concept for a Belgian Ale. If these didn't cost so much here in FL, I'd consider buying this every week.

dgv0, May 26, 2010

Joe1001, Aug 31, 2012

nztayls, May 03, 2014
3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

Konkretek, Aug 30, 2014
4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

Wow...my new favorite dubbel

appearance:nice dark color not too much brussels lace..and It did seem to improve with warming in the glass....losing some of the carbonation

smell:lots of dark stone fruit smells and not allot of estery smells

taste:wow great dark malt flavors with notes of cherry? and other dark stone fruits

mouthfeel...a bit too much carbonation at first then it mellowed and got silky as hell

drinkablity:I could drink this all day

chefscott79, Oct 18, 2007
3.8/5  rDev -8.9%

I have really wanted to try a trappist ale for a long time. I really have not tasted many, or maybe any belgians. I hope this is nice place to start.

Popped the top and a quick temp reading shows 49 degrees. Pour into a chalice reveals a dark, dark brew. Hold it up to the light and it is dark, murky brown. Very creamy, robust head that has the tiniest of bubbles. Looks good.

Smell is of spritzy fruit. Almost pungent aroma. Weak Banana bread. Slight alcohol. I think slight cherry?

Taste reveals something very foreign. So this is Belgian ale? Not too bad but very very different. Malt, oak, bitter fruits. Something very earthy about it. Unleavened, or maybe even stale bread. Slight bitterness on the back side. The first drink is very different from the next several. Makes my tongue slightly numb. I can certainly taste yeast. I said I have had very few Belgians but this shares a quality with the ones I have had. I think it is the yeast. Interesting.

I like this stuff and from what I have read it is a good example of the style. I would certainly drink another.

travloh, Nov 07, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

NotACommunist, Jul 14, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -34.1%

JackOfAll, Jun 24, 2013

kristjan, Jan 06, 2014
4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

The Pour: Pours a deep brown with a red huewith a full tan head.

The Smell: Fruity and alcohol was my first indication, followed by nutts and rasins

The Taste: the the wonderful aromas came through in the taste. and they hide the alcohol well.

The Mouthfeel: A well body beer

I could drink a few of these maybe not in one setting thou.

ellman, Apr 03, 2003
4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

This is the first trappist beer I've tried. Had it today.

Poured out dark, with an unusual brown head. I could see the yeast swimming around at the bottom of my glass as I chose not to filter it.

The smell was the only thing less than magnificant. It didn't really have much of a smell. But the faint smell was fruity and very appealing.

It tasted like fruit and maybe some chocolate thrown in the mix. Nothing low quality about this one.

The mouthfeel wasn't too watery, wasn't too heavy. It was just perfect.

This is definately a premium beer for the connoisseur, appropriate to be enjoyed with a gourmet meal or on a special occasion.

liquidnoise, Mar 16, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

A great Dubbel with the classic aroma of caramel, malts and beautiful yeast overtones. Classic Belgian pour and color. Taste lingers a bit but leaves you wanting more. Hard to find a better value in a Dubbel A real winner which is readily available in our area. Life is good.

browner, Feb 11, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

appearance: dark ruby color but no opacity. huge, brown head with extensive lacing

aroma: citrus, fruit, bready and a hint of yeast

mouthfeel: slightly sour, a little bitter, easy to drink. again with a little citrus but as opposed to the aroma, this is definitely stronger on the yeast end

kcinlober, Apr 22, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

peelstreet, Jan 17, 2013

Brewt, Mar 12, 2013

hiq, Aug 27, 2013
4.69/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Esta é uma das grandes representantes do estilo dubbel, e mais um respeitado rótulo trapista. Eu só conheci dois rótulo Westmalle, mas os dois mostraram representar cervejas de qualidade suprema, que com que certeza posicionam a cervejaria como um dos grandes nomes do mundo.

LVituri, Jan 16, 2014
4.68/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle into a pint glass. The beer poured a nice opaque amber color with a beautiful, creamy head that kept its lacing. I must have poured this a lot better than some of my fellow reviewers, because I didn't have the full head that everyone is talking about, but rather an absolutely perfect quarter inch head or so.

The smell is rather difficult to describe, but it is nonetheless pleasant. I'm not a wine expert, but it literally smelled like generic wine. I could discern some fig, wild berries, toffee, malt, chocolate, and of course, alcohol and I'm sure there is plenty of other fruit in it. The smell is tremendous and is only a sign of more good things to come.

The initial taste wasn't nearly as good as it was once it warmed. I've noted before that my refrigerator is quite cold (due to my roommates), but the flavors became quite vibrant and stately once the brew reached closer to room temperature. Absolutely delicious. The blend of fruit, spices, alcohol, and tannin made it almost taste like it smelled - like wine(!)

Mouthfeel was perhaps the weakest (if there is a weakest) part of this brew. I felt as though there was a bit too much carbonation that kept the beer from reaching its true potential until it warmed up. Once warm, however, the brew went down entirely too smooth for a beer with 7% abv.

And that leads to drinkability. Again, for a 7% abv beer, this is almost entirely too drinkable. I'm a bit upset I only bought the single because I can't wait to have another one and to let my friends try this as well. The monks are certainly doing something right, one of the better beers I've had in a long time.

Ecliptica, Apr 03, 2008

JSTpt1022, Jun 17, 2013

icecoldphatty, Jan 06, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

morallybankrupt, Apr 06, 2012

storko22, May 16, 2012

ncehreli, Jun 18, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Bottle from Belgianbeershop.com. Head: beige, thick, stable, nice lacing. Color: dark red brown, very beautiful. Aroma: filled with roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, caramel. The taste is very well balanced with a fantastic full mouthfeel. Notes of caramel and banana. Very long finish. This is one of the best trappist ales, almost as good as the Westmalle tripel.

Marc_V, Dec 17, 2012
4.6/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Rich brown to burnt orange, especially when held to the light. 2 inches of fluffy, tab foam, which lingers, eventually settling, yet never disappearing. Looks great in the chalice.
Smell: Sweet! Like effervescent brown sugar and plums. Absolutely fantastic!
Taste: Starts quite similar to the smell, then yields to a more complex malty flavor, which ends with a slight hoppy, yet delicious bitterness. This blew me away.
Mouth-Feel: Thick, almost syrupy. This lingers on the tongue for quite some time. It feels heavy.
Overall: This is in my top 10. This is the third time I've had this and it has been incredible each time. Obviously it is pricy, but then again it is not something I'd drink just any day.

Henrich, Feb 17, 2014