Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros
4.55/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

It poured a nice dark - reddish color with a nice foamy brown head, which dissipates slowly. Nice aromas of malt, fruits - melon - and bubblegum are present. This beer has a nice level of acidity. It is a pleasure to drink! Wonderful to sip on. Highly recommended!

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

Presentation: 11.2 oz brown bottle from Kappy’s, poured into a 16 oz. shaker

Appearance: Nut brown color, with some red tones. A rich cream colored two finger head with good retention, and no lacing.

Aroma: caramel with a bit of fruit

Taste and Mouthfeel: Taste starts with dark fruits and caramel, then has a mild hop aftertaste. Nice smooth and creamy mouthfeel.

Drinkability: This is an incredibly smooth and enjoyable beer. It is one of the finest Dubbels I have had – really world class.

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Very malty nose and flavor. Dryness on the palate is nicely foiled by sweet malty flavors. Notes of raisin and subtle bubblegum. Very clean character, with maltiness masking other (yeast derived) flavors. Pretty one dimensional.

A well crafted beer, but not my favorite trappist. Too malty for a dubbel in my opinion, and not interesting or complex enough.

4.12/5  rDev -1.2%

(From a champagne goblet)

Appearance: Westmalle Dubbel pours a lovely mahogany-burgundy colour with a cloudiness that renders it almost completely opaque. I didn't see much head, but what was there dissipated quickly, leaving the thin cap of light white bubbles on top.

Smell: The scents are fruity, very fig-like with some red grapes in there, and some cherry at the back, and they're all admirably bold. There's a bit of yeast in the nose too.

Taste: Slightly bitter hoppy beginnings before the fruits take over. I'm getting a bit of that yeast too, but the big thing for me is the grape, and the beer tastes winey, but there's a bit of caramel in there too. All the flavours in this beer are big - nothing hides.

Mouthfeel: This is a medium body with a bold fizz. That well-carbonated finish is arguably a little too much.

Overall: The smell and flavour of the Westmalle Dubbel leave me wanting more and more, but dubbels are easy to come by here in Vancouver so there's a lot of competition for it. I'd usually pick a dubbel with a less aggressive fizz.

2.5/5  rDev -40%

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

4.84/5  rDev +16.1%

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured into the glass a beautiful dark brown/deep red color. Nice, thick tan head that dissipated somewhat quickly.

Aroma is dark fruit: plums raisins, etc. Slightly spicy, too. I'm not getting any banana that has been talked about. A little bit of roast malt, as well.

Flavor is nice and malty up front, moving to spicy in the middle and finishing with a malty, dark fruit flavor. Aftertaste in a mixture of plum and a slight roastiness.

Nice, fully mouthfeel. This bottle is highly carbonated, prickly on the tongue.

Overall, I'd have to say that this is a great beer, and one that I'm really enjoying. Gonna have to get some more.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours dark brown with a light beige head. Has a nice sweet plum/raisin aroma. The spiced fruity flavor is coupled with wonderful abbey yeast compliments you would expect from this brewery. The body was very smooth and went down far too easy. Left me wanting another.

3.27/5  rDev -21.6%

33 cl bottle poured into a tulip shaped pint glas.

Cloudy beer with a brown/dark red color. Off-white head that is large at first but mostly diminishing. Good lacing.

Smells good. Sweet malts and yeast, dried fruit, raisins, figs, plums. A bit of caramel/toffee as well.

The taste is not quite as good as the smell. Very fruity at first, then a more sour yeasty taste and some toffee/cocoa. Alcohol and some hoppy bitterness in the finish.

Medium body and lively carbonation. A bit dry.

Interesting, but not really my type of beer.

3.81/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

picked this up for about $6 at the local package store. It was everything I expected it to be, but just a bit expensive for my current income. I'd gladly pay $2 a bottle all day for this, but I don't know if I'll ever pay that much for such a mid-range beer again.

3.48/5  rDev -16.5%

330 ml bottle from the LCBO

Pours deep amber with a somewhat fizzy tan head. Very nice looking but a lck of head retention lost it some points.

Aromas are very typical of the style but smaller and more subtle then some of the better examples. I like the aroma I just wish it was bigger.

The flavour is similar to the aroma. Everything that should be there in a good dubble is but I find this somehow lacking.

The mouthfeel is a little rough and one thing I really like about dubbles is the soft subtle complexity but this one is rough and brash.

This is a nice brew but I think it will do better with some time in the cellar. Ill review in a year.

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

It took me more then a year to get this beer (and the Tripel) here in central Montana, finally got the local distributor to deliver. Maybe other places one can go out to the local store and get one, but not here. So here we go.

My first one that I tried, foamed out over my counter, ended up with about 5 ounces of drinkable beer (clearly mishandled). The second one however poured perfectly into my Chalice.

Good head, fairly dark, in appearance not that spectacular but good. Smell was exceptional. Taste was nothing else I have tasted, smooth but complex. Nothing short of incredible, worth the wait. I would give up sex to drink this beer.

4.02/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured into...a Nalgene bottle. We were taking it out to the St. Patty's day parade in Chicago, so had to improvise....anywho, on with the review.
A: Nice deep chestnut color, good inch of lighter tan head. Appeared to have a nice bit of carbonation to it as well.
S: Lovely sums it up. Great deep malty smell, definitely picking up the yeast in there as well. Not a ton of hop smell, but still just a little bit on the sweet side.
T: Good up front malt, bit nutty as well. Took a little bit for the hop taste to kick in, with just a hint of alcohol.
M: Nice and strongly carbonated, very full and easy to get down. Considering we were drinking this out of a plastic bottle that had just made a 3 hour jaunt on public transit and foot, it still had just the right amount of carbonation.
D: Pretty easy to put down, but hey, drinking in public is always easier, right? Although it's middle of the road ABV-wise, I'm sure I could put a couple of these down in a sitting.

3.76/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured a medium brown color with a good head. The smell was not very strong, the alcohol was what came through to me. The taste was slightly sweet, but I don't taste the alcohol that I smelled. It had a fairly short finish with a bitterness to it. Very little carbonation in this beer and it was almost syrupy. I really enjoyed this one.

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%