Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Dec 27, 2012

debiergenieters, Mar 22, 2013

LunchMonkey, Dec 15, 2013

ciaobby, Jul 03, 2014
4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

Just picked up a small bottle at Hy-Vee. Actually thought I saw La Chouffe, but was mistaken, so this was what I bought.
Pours nice with a semi-cloudy dark amber color, not much lace, but lots of smell! I read some reviews on the Hy-Vee, directed toward the fact that they keep their Belgiums on the top shelf close to the lights, but I don't get any stale skunky taste from this one.
Smells and tastes as if there is a slight Bock taste, smooth, semi-sweet, some chocolate, but doesn't bother hiding the 7% ABV as indicated on the bottle. I think I could drink more of these, but at the price....I dunno.
Mouth feel is comparable to other Belgiums I've had, so it doesn't dissapoint. Reminds me ALOT of a good bock, I can't get past that.
As stated before, I could drink more of these. Nice beer! Recommend trying this one!!

HarleyQuilter, Nov 04, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

I was very happy to find the Belgian-owned Delhaize grocery store here in Cologne, which stocks a few Belgian beers for a very reasonable price (this 12 oz bottle literally rang up for less than an kiosk espresso). One can only drink so much kölsch in Cologne.

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass. This beer is very dark in color. The head has medium sized bubbles and a tannish hue. Yeast collects in the bottom of the glass.

The smell is not bold at all. It smells of malts and yeast with a hint of sweetness. It tastes like a delicious dark bread, hints of carmel and chocolate (though not as heavy as a typical porter) and a touch of bitterness. It is extremely smooth, with a great creamy mouth feel. There is hardly any aftertaste or an real warming effect as you swallow.

A solid dubble, which I am happy that I can enjoy so frequently.

jellycabbage, Feb 03, 2008

tainted, Jun 26, 2013
4.53/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

thanks again chefscott79.

a - I love the appearance of this beer. very cloudy golden caramel color.

s - smells of lightly burnt sugar and dates. some light fruity notes, apple core as well.

t - the taste is great. black cherry, dates. finishes woody and jammy.

m - carbonation is moderate, i was worried because it had a fake cork and it didn't 'pop' when i opened it.

d - i've heard that this is an excellent example of a dubble. i greatly enjoyed it and could drink this anytime.

toreysan, May 08, 2008

troppoveloce, Dec 05, 2013

psubrewer, Jan 21, 2014

ChicagoBeerMan12, Jul 08, 2014
4.93/5  rDev +18.2%

A-Pours a deep dark brown with a lively, off white, three finger head. Takes some time to dissipate, lacing clings to the side as the glass nears empty.

S-Lively and complex. Warm chocolate, toffee, butterscotch, malts, phenols and raisins. Pipe tobacco. The smell is really something amazing, I find myself taking in the aroma before every sip.

T- This is the good stuff! Definitely a warm, chocolaty alcohol note followed by the hops and finally a sweet malty character. The same flavors from the smell are still present. Chocolate, smooth malts, raisin, coriander, bread, honey, milk and sugar. A long lasting mildly sweet aftertaste lingers on the palate. Everything is balanced and in check here. Nothing seems out of place.

M- Wonderfully clean for such a complex beer. Leaves the tongue tingling.

D- Oh yeah. Definitely a sipping beer though. I find myself wanting to take a swig or two but when all those tastes hit my tongue I can't bring myself to do it. A great beer with which to sit and waste the evening away.

Yes! I finally got the chance to try this amazing beer and it was everything I wanted it to be and more. I really wondered if it would live up to the hype but I found it to surpass what I was expecting. I think a glass of this every week would do a body good.

boynabubble, Feb 14, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -1%

Pours a dark brown color with a fluffy two finger head that fades away rather slowly leaving lacing all throughout the glass.

Smells of sweet candy sugar, fruity esters, spices, slight alcohol warmness,brown bread pulled out of the oven.

Slight spicy upfront with a hint of sweetness and finishes off with a tad bit of dryness. Amazing how you can always tell when your drinking a belgian beer.

Medium bodied, smooth and velvet like with right amount of carbonation.

Nice drinkability on this one.

nuggetnectar01, May 09, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

A - dark cherry brown. I poured the beer poorly and had a little extra head, no big deal, it just released a few more of the esters.

S - applish notes and a slighly woody aroma.

T - choclatety taste but very dry, even bitter aftertaste

M - coats mouth nicely. heavy and doesn't

D - I would only have 1 or 2. Not really a session beer despite it's reasonable ABV.

masterallen, Jun 30, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Head: This beer has a cream colored head with a medium hold

Color: Beer has a nice dark cider/amber color

Aroma: It has a roasty/chocolate smell with very faint hoppy scent.

Taste: It has a rich, umami flavor/spice..sweet & bitter beer. Very tasy.

Mouth-feel: Has a creamy, smooth mouthfeel...very nice. Medium carbination...easy to drink.

mglaser37, Feb 01, 2012

kangasmaa, Aug 11, 2012

JCCalabria, Jul 17, 2013
3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

12 oz. bottle into a goblet, served around 55 degrees. Probably shoulda poured it colder.

Appearance - Instant gusher, pure head spilling on the table. When I got the pour going, I saw a very pretty burnt orange / amber translucent pour, and a light tan head rising to about 1", with a few tiny brown sediment specks in places. Very pretty. Head disappeared after a several minutes & sips - leaving some spotty lacing in places around the goblet.

Smell - Yeasty sweet, with a hint of cloves and bananas. Not too much in the way of malt.

Taste - A little bland at first. Fruity notes emerged - a tartness on the front of my tongue, and then bananas with the swallow. But the underlying taste was pretty unremarkable.

Mouthfeel - Pleasant fuzz on the tip of the tongue to accompany the tartness. A medium-body in the rest of my mouth, and a smooth swallow.

Drinkability - I have to say that I was expecting a little more, especially for the price tag. I will try again, this time controlling the experiment by chilling the beer a little bit more. Hopefully this changes its character a little bit.

cbw1978, Feb 18, 2009

manderson952, Feb 05, 2014

Overall, this double is very agreable, easy to drink. Aroma of caramel malt, raisins and banana. Brown color, medium body, lively carbonation and bitter finish. This beer is medium sweet and bitter, well balanced with notes of banana and something that makes me think of almond-flavoured liqueur.

Patou, Mar 30, 2013