Dragonmead Crown Jewels India Pale Ale - Dragonmead Microbrewery

Dragonmead Crown Jewels India Pale AleDragonmead Crown Jewels India Pale Ale

good

Dragonmead Microbrewery visit their website

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: ypsifly on 01-17-2006)

3.48/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

0133 on the bottom of the bottle -- I don't know if that means this was bottled on the 13th day of this year, the 3rd day of this year, or if it's not relevant at all. If that IS the date, then this IPA is 5+ months old (After looking, it appears that that's just a batch code... so I don't know when this was bottled.)

Appearance: Poured this $3 single into my Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass. Like any other bottled Dragonmead beer, the label is pretty bland... seems like it was made in a cheap computer program like ... I don't know ... Paint. The beer pours a slightly hazy orange color with quite a few particles floating around. I give this a 3/5 because there was basically no head, and no lacing... that's a big part of appearance for me when judging most beers.

Smell: Dark fruits and alcohol, primarily, for me... which I wasn't expecting. I've had a few other English IPAs in the past, but I don't remember them tasting or smelling like this one. The alcohol in the nose makes this one feel like it's a higher ABV than 7%.

Taste/feel: Not bad. A HUGE amount of sweetness -- really, I don't get any bitterness here. If I do, it's really quite subtle. The taste of Crown Jewels is big on the dark fruits, and maybe a trace of alcohol from the slight burn... then again, that could be the carbonation. The aftertaste is still very sweet with fruits, but some malts come in to add a bit more dimension. I really don't get any serious hop flavors (which I understand is normal for this particular style) unless I burp.

I wish I could say I loved this beer because I paid $3 for a single, but yeah. It's definitely not worth $3. It's pretty good, but overly sweet for my taste.

2.75/5  rDev -24.2%

3.73/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

I enjoyed this one. It went down easy and had a clean taste with good flavors. Well balanced between malts and hops. The look was as it should be, nice head that lingered and great golden clear color. Very inviting. I could not pick up much with my nose but the pollen is high right now. Mouthfeel was great for carbonation and had a good creamy feel but not sticky. Finished clean and refreshing. Overall this is a nice beer that I would get again, but a bit pricey at $3.49 for a single. It did not have deep complex flavor, just simply drinkable and pleasant. If I find it at a better price I would go for it again. I will have to try on tap.

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

3.58/5  rDev -1.4%

This one is okay. Kind of tangy and not too distinct, considering the style. I would kind of hope for a bit more in the hop department, even though this is technically an English ipa. The tang could be a bit less. But overall, it isn't all that bad.

3.58/5  rDev -1.4%

Enjoyed at the brewery, review is from notes from two weeks prior. Poured with a single finger head on a cloudy brown body, some lacing. Aroma is simple with earthy hops and sweet caramel malts. Flavor is well balanced but also simple with earthy and citrus hops on a nice toasted malt backbone. Medium body and moderate carbonation. This one follows the style fairly well but the ABV is too high perhaps.

BTW this pairs very well with the venison served at the brewery.

3.7/5  rDev +1.9%

12oz bottle into an hourglass. No bottle dating.

Pours dark amber, copper, near brown. Hazy and dark. 2 finger head that dissipates quickly. Nice lacing that lasts pretty well.

Smells very nice, but not very robust or broad. Really just smells of malt and maybe a bit of toffee or caramel.

The taste is actually very good, the problem is it certainly doesn't remind me much of an american IPA. It's quite malty, not very hoppy and it lacks the big flavor that most american IPA's go for. This site claims it is an English IPA, but Dragonmead's site considers it an American IPA. If you aren't expecting the typical hop bomb, huge flavor of an American IPA, you may not be disappointed, if you are looking for that, expect a let down. This tastes of caramel. Kind of sweet. Strong flavor profile, but not hoppy at all.

The mouthfeel is perfect. It's smooth, not overly carbonated, easy drinking. Doesn't finish dry or bitter.

If this is an English IPA it would be one of the very few I've ever had. I bout it under the assumption it was an AIPA like Dragonmead's website claims it is. As an AIPA I would call it very unique, but not a great representation of the style. If it is an EIPA, than I don't know enough to rate it based on it's style, so instead I'll rate it on it's overall appeal, and I would say it's appeal is high due to the fact it's easy to drink, the alcohol is nearly non existent, it has a great flavor and it tastes of quality ingredients.

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%