Dragonmead Ring Of Fire - Dragonmead Microbrewery

Dragonmead Ring Of Fire
No picture uploaded.

Dragonmead Microbrewery visit their website

Chile Beer |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 05-03-2007)
Reviews by SeaUrchin:
3.33/5  rDev -11.9%

had on tap severed into a pint glass

appearance - a light copper color, with a head that was about 2 fingers, dropped to almost nonexistent after a minute or so, left some lacing, and medium carbonation

smell - a slight maltyness and hoppyness with a chili burn, love spicy food lets give this a whirl

taste - up front was a sweet maltyness than moved into a chili sweetness followed by a chili burn, this faded into a hop bitterness and a bit more of a burn, makes you want to have another sip

mouthfeel - very light in the mouth, this is aided by the carbonation, quite bubbly

drinkability - went down easily and if i didnt want to se how shorts black cherry porter tasted on tap i would have had another

overall - i was less than impressed simply because i expected it to really burn, the first time i had it i couldnt really judge it other than i liked it since i had hung out at dragonmead for a few hours before, would order again but i would ahve to be in the mood for it, pretty well balanced and quite tasty, not the best beer in the world but still good

SeaUrchin, Mar 24, 2011

Rhine, Sep 05, 2014

Goldfoot, Dec 16, 2011

TCgoalie, Dec 29, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

On tap at the Dragonmead Brew Pub.

Poured a deeper amber color with a small sized off white head. Aromas of green peppers and just all around peppers. Tastes of peppers. Initially this one was not hot but the heat crept up after you drank it. I'm not talking a Cave Creek chile burn, but a lighter pepper burn.

hopdog, Jan 03, 2009

Morakaton, Nov 16, 2013

MichiganderHB, Jun 09, 2014
3.93/5  rDev +4%

This brew was served on tap at Dragonmead in Warren, Michigan. It arrived in a standard tasting glass, showing a pale peachy coloring. It held a half finger tall head of egg white colored foam, showing okay retention. There was a slight chill haze against clarity, but no sediment was noted. Carbonation appeared to be moderate. The aroma gave notes of sweet cream, pale and lighter amber malts, white corny adjuncts, tobacco leafiness, melty plastics, cornbreadiness, faint citric hops, light caramel sweetness, and soft warming heat of cooked and oiled jalapenos and habaneros. The taste followed with that same cream ale based sweetness of lactic milkiness, cornbread, adjuncty metallics, and caramel sugars, but this was slowly and subtly taken over by a creeping heat of authentic and meaty habanero peppers. Towards the end and aftertaste of the sip this really effectively cut all other flavors out, especially by the bottom of the glass, but otherwise you do get peeks from ceramic, clay, and mineral, pale grain toast, white sugar sweetness, synthetic strawberry fruitiness, black pepper, and booze. The body was medium, and the carbonation was lightly medium. Each sip gave decent slurp and smack, with a creamy but oily coating left around the mouth to perpetuate that warmth. The abv was appropriate, and the beer drank back well for the style.

Overall, we’ve been very, very excited to get our hands on this beer. Were it not due to the instance of a buddy who wanted to grab some drinks, it may have taken much longer to reach that goal of finally making the brief trek over to Dragonmead. We adore spicy chili beers, and since moving to Michigan, many of the native locals have pointed us towards Ring of Fire. The intrigue has been built, and expectations made. Keep in mind, this was predominantly before the times of Crime and Punishment, so no real precedent had been set. What we encountered here was a nicely flavored chili beer. At no point did it approach the scalding, melting heat that we had prepared for, but again, by the bottom of the glass you definitely began to feel the burn and sweat just a touch. This does not ruin the palate, and was our first taste of the night after which we were just fine to continue tasting. The real prize here is in this beer’s authenticity. The flavors presented are real and palatable for the most part, and you can tell real thought and care went into developing this recipe. To base the chili on top of their standard cream ale is definitely unique, and adds a biscuity and fruity sweetness that is not often encountered in this style. Ultimately, we are pleased to have tried this beer, and believe it is a must-try for those that can’t get enough of the style.

TheBrewo, Sep 21, 2014
3.78/5  rDev 0%

A-Clear golden kissed copper with a thin white head that left spotty lacing.

S-Sweet malt a hint of floral hops and the sharp zing of hot peppers.

T-Starts off rather sweet but then moves in to the heat. Slight at first but them it builds and builds. Never becoming painful or fake but you know you are drinking something with hot peppers in it. Being made with Habenero, Serrano and Jalapeno I should think you wouldn't forget!

M-Medium-light body with a nice crispness and a rather amazing smoothness ending the hot, spicy kick.

D-Rather good, but I don't think I could down many of these in a row. Rather one dimensional, a lot like liquified Jalapeno Jelly. Interesting but certainly not the best chili beer I have ever had.

Deuane, Sep 26, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +2.6%

Not going to lie I was extremely nervous trying this beer. I have had some chances to try a Chile beer before but never mastered up to it. While I was in the taproom they told me that I should give it a shot...I was pretty impressed.

Was on the lighter copper color did not have any foam head what so ever. The smell was so potent that it started to make me nervous again to try it since I don't like chile peppers or anything really spicy.

Once I tried it, not to spicy. Def had a kick to it but I enjoyed it. A mild taste of the chile pepper. Overall I would say it was a great success. I know for a fact I would not be able to finish a 750ml but since I had it served in a 6 oz sampler that was plenty for me! Cheers

yankeej13, Jul 27, 2011

senorscientist, Jan 30, 2012

Agentveba, Sep 12, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

BlissJunkie, Jan 14, 2013
3.83/5  rDev +1.3%

On tap at Dragonmead on 4/25

Poured a clear golden amber with thin white head, average retention and spotty lacing. Smells of malt, floral hops, and chili peppers. Taste starts off with some floral notes with a honey backbone and a big chili pepper spicy finish. Medium light in body, crisp and smooth with a spicy kick. Easy to drink with a spicy finish, good if you like a spicy beer, but there isn't much else to it.

HopDerek, Apr 29, 2008
3.7/5  rDev -2.1%

This was my first experience with a peppered beer, straight off the tap in the brewery. Looked like an ordinary ale, clear and golden with a light-colored head. Only when you bring it up to smell do you start to realize that there's something different about this one, the usual hops and malts come through, but any other scents are overpowered by the distinct scent of firey peppers. Taste may be an acquired taste, but being a pepper lover it was very nice for me. Honestly I didn't notice much past the pepper, the best description I could think of would be "a good ale with peppers in it", which I suppose is rather appropriate. I do believe, however, that a more refined palate than my own could find much much more to enjoy in this one. The mouthfeel was good, with a nice crisp sensation slowly giving way to the burn. Drinkability is the only area where this one suffers, in that the heat made it a tad hard to drink. I kept wanting to take a sip of something else to dull it. That being said, I certainly wouldn't pass up an opportunity to drink this one again.

StargherKing, May 23, 2007

Found this to be unique and refreshing. Not for the faint hearted. Pepper presence definitely there. I enjoyed a couple at this very laid back brewery.

chadwickbay, Sep 21, 2014