Fireman's Brew Brunette Beer - Fireman's Brew, Inc.

Fireman's Brew Brunette BeerFireman's Brew Brunette Beer

good

Fireman's Brew, Inc. visit their website

Doppelbock |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-01-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fireman's Brew Brunette Beer Alström Bros

Fireman's Brew Brewnette Ale is my favorite beer, period.

I was first introduce about a year prior of writing this review.

I enjoy the first hints of dark chocolate and hintings molasses after-taste with slight caramel undertones.

The body of Fireman's Brew Brewnette is rather dark, almost black and can fool most people believing it is a different type of ale when it is poured.

Fireman's Brew Brewnette has a thin texture for having such a dark body.

It is definitely very smooth to drink and is not filling like most full bodied ambers and dark ambers.

If I ever see Fireman's Brew Brewnette on tap I also order up a pint.

I must concede across the board that this beer is without flaw. A friend turned me onto this beer for it's high alcohol volume (10.8%!), but it turns out to be much more incredible than I could have hoped. As a previous reviewer mentioned, there's no detection of alcohol in this drink at all! More than that, the taste is absolutely exceptional: a creamy smooth caramel flavor that tastes more like a soda than a beer. But then that high-ABV sweeps you off your feet!

It has a very slight burnt aftertaste which lingers for a long time. It leaves you wanting more. Then when you come back to it, the flavor explodes in your mouth again and... it's just an incredible flavor for a very low price ($8/6 pack). Granted, it's a microbrewery that I believe has not expanded out of Los Angeles, but if you get a chance I urge you to take it! This is the kind of beer people settle down on because again, it comes without flaw.

4.88/5  rDev +38.2%

4.75/5  rDev +34.6%

4.35/5  rDev +23.2%

A - is a rich dark brown. Like a dark roasted coffee. The head is tan which dissipates quickly. Yet leaving some lacing from both the head and beer around the glass.

S - well balanced scent of roasted malt and grain.

T - malts and nuts at first taste. Followed by a hit of coffee before a clean finish. While drinking this beer, I almost spit it out of my mouth, out of astonishment. When the owner of the brewery told me it was 10.80%!!! Where they put the extra 5 - 6% of ABV in the beer, that I could not taste. I have no idea!

M - smooth as an egg white :-P

D - drinkability is stupendous, yet dangerous. Since the taste of alcohol is almost invisible. A drinker of this would not know what hit them after a few of these bad boys.

All and all, this a great well rounded beer from brewers with a good cause. Your Budweiser friends would probably enjoy this with you. A good gateway beer for the masses.

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

4.04/5  rDev +14.4%

3.96/5  rDev +12.2%

3.95/5  rDev +11.9%

Today was the first day I saw this line of brew and I had to get one, the double bock sounded good, and I have always like brunettes as well (so the picture on the cardboard was enticing).

poured from a 12oz into my arrogant bastard pint glass, tops with a thin light tan head made of large bubbles and dissipates quickly. Nicely carbonated and bubbles appear on the inside of the glass. Quite dark of body, extremely dark brown to black with a nice reddish tinge around the edges when held up to the light.

The smell is very up front with roasted and caramel malts. I get a coffee-like aroma combined with brown sugar, molasses, and a dark rye bread straight from the toaster.

The flavor has a great profile, initially the carbonation hits you with the hops in the brew giving you a slight bitterness. This is followed by the more intense roasted malt which although isn't smokey it definitely imparts some dark wood characteristics in the flavor. This is all wrapped up into a sweet aftertaste which I believe to be a cornerstone of the doppelbock, a molasses and dark brown sugar malty flavor to leave you with.

The mouthfeel is much lighter than you would expect for an 8.0% brew due to the carbonation which refreshes you for the rest of the flavors. The hops give the refreshment and they are backed by enough malt to keep their flavors subdued.

Very drinkable, almost dangerously so because of it's easy going body and sweet aftertaste which leaves your palate ready for more.

3.9/5  rDev +10.5%

Thanks to SanDiegoBeerLove for tossing one of these in a recent trade. I drank this one out of my Rose-Hulman pint glass. Pours a dark thin brown color with a short bubbly head. I know it is easy to describe some beers as a cola, but this looks so much like a coke. Bigger bubbles that rise quickly to the top with a semi-fizzy foam. The head dissipates quickly and leaves a small island of brown foam in the middle. Halfway through my beer, there is nothing left on the top. No lacing on this guy either.

Has a very nutty smell - also has the scotch caramel smell that you get on some dopplebocks. No alcohol is detected at all. Also has a light roasty malty characteristic.

Taken a bit off-guard as I took my first swig. A very thin mouthfeel with virtually no carbonation. I expected a fuller-bodied beer, but this doesn't even reach medium. The malts are there, but I was hoping they would be even more pronounced. Has a bit of the caramel-sweet taste and finishes with the nuttiness detected form the first whiff. Taste is gone very quickly, and extremely mild. I am blown away that this thing clocks in at nearly 11% ABV - not detectable at all.

The flavor of this guy is good, they have that down. However, it just doesn't have the malt profile that I expect from a top-notch dopplebock. I know they claim they pounded this guy with malts, but I think they could go even further. As it is, it is extremely drinkable. Seriously, there is ZERO alcohol detected and very low carbonation. At 10.8%, this beer goes down way too easily. Overall, a good brew.

Consumed on 1/30/2010

3.8/5  rDev +7.6%

Very dark brown body with a rich, creamy tan head; nice lacing down the glass. Chocolate malt notes in the smell. Taste also includes rich chocolate flavors with an oh-so subtle hop bitterness and alcohol at the finish. Medium-heavy body, fairly well carbonated.

A smooth, tasty chocolate doppelbock. A little on the over-carbonated side for me, but otherwise an excellent chocolatey malted doppelbock without being overly heavy on the alcohol taste.

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

Fireman's Brew Brunette Beer from Fireman's Brew, Inc.