Mortality Stout - ReaperAle

Mortality StoutMortality Stout

good

ReaperAle visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.75% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-12-2002)
1.55/5  rDev -57.1%

22 oz. into a tulip/ no freshness date

P: Muddy brown from the bottle, sits black in the glass. 1 fingered head is light brown, bubbly & frothy with good retention. Leaves webs of lace behind.

A: EEEEWWWW! What in the world is that smell? It's like rotten cheese sitting on top of some roasted malts and chocolate. Plugging my nose as it take a sip...

T: Oh my god, it tastes the same! Rotten cheese, soured milk, and some metallic along with roasted malts, chocolate, and some coffee. I don't know what the hell is going on with this beer. The flavors underneath the funk have potential, but that sourness is overpowering and disgusting.

M & D: Light-bodied like a lager, bubbly and fizzy with way too much carbonation. Drinkability? 2 sips and down the drain she goes!

Notes: I always handwrite my reviews, then enter them into the computer when I have the time. I didn't plan on posting this, as I figured that I must have gotten a bad bottle. But, after reading some other reviews that said the same thing, I decided to go ahead with it. Just plain awful!

2.15/5  rDev -40.4%

Consumed 11/21/08.

Pours virtually black with a cola-like two finger tan head that's not really sticky enough to provide anything but the most perfunctory lacing. Some bubbles spotted rising along sides of glass.

Aromatic beer, this: rich but somewhat light roasted coffee and chocolate waft into the nose, accompanied by a slight metallic tinge.

The mouthfeel is thin, watery, with little carbonation in evidence.

Flavor is off - sourness, which is certainly acceptable in a stout in small amounts, seems to be the primary flavor component. Some mocha and the aforementioned aroma components show up as well.

This beer is probably spoiled, but I don't know what they were shooting for, so maybe not...? Definitely undrinkable. Drain pour.

2.3/5  rDev -36.3%

Beautiful black coffee pour with a gigantic mocha colored head that slowly settled into a thin blanket. Aroma is a delighful malty roastedness. Creamy mouthfeel, a quick flash of roasted malt and then, whoa! An acidic sour slam dunk on the tongue. Waaay out of whack for the dry Irish flavor profile, which is what I think they were going for. Not undrinkable, but I'm not going back for more.

2.3/5  rDev -36.3%

Deep brown color with a large tan head. Lacks in depth but the beautiful head makes up for it.

Nose is odd on this one. Musty powdered cocoa, even nestle quick, mushrooms, unmalted barley and chalk. Maybe some caramel and vanilla.

Better than the nose suggested. Some nice roastiness, with a hint of smoke, that same powdery cocoa and even leaving a chalky mouthfeel. Finish is stale and unappeasing. Caramel shows through more with a big dose of barley. A pretty lackluster beer.

2.45/5  rDev -32.1%

22 oz. Thick black pour, just a little dark tan head. Very roast aroma, mostly coffee, some malt. Taste, oh boy, quite a bit of sourness reigning over everything. Sour grape acidity. There is some roast malt and chocolate under there. After the tart fades a little mocha and espresso finish. Medium bodied. Drinkability, terrible. Drank about 6oz of the 22 oz.

Hope I had a bad bottle.

2.48/5  rDev -31.3%

This beer pours very dark - barley wine dark. It pours with a small dark tan head that doesn't hang around for long and the aroma is full of chocolate and coffee - very pleasing. The aroma gave me high hopes, but the flavor did not back it up. The taste is very dry and the chocolate and coffee are not highly detectable and it is almost a little sour. It's not a bad beer, but I can't say that I'll have another one anytime soon.

2.5/5  rDev -30.7%

Dark black with a thin brown foam. Smells of intense sourness with coffee and roasted barley going on in the background. Very sour on the pallete, nice malty stout flavors going on but clashing with the inappropriate sourness. Low carbonation and good mouthfeel. Reasonably light enough to drink for the style.

There seems to be an intense and somewhat inappropriate sourness that I associate with red wine that is too old, like a vinegar. It is not that offensive, just way too pronounced. I think it would be pleasant if it were more subtle, as I enjoy sour beers very much.

2.53/5  rDev -29.9%

A: Very dark black with a nice fluffy head, which is now gone.

S: Roasted coffee, maybe some dark chocolate and molasses.

T: Oh.. oh god.. whoa! tart tart tart.. with a little bit of coffee aftertaste.. It grows on you the longer you drink it, but drinking it is the first problem.. That is a little funk.. tastes nothing like it looks like or smells like, and that is not a good thing.

M: Lots and lots of carbonation..

D: Pass. A little too far down the funk road for me, and out of style as well.

2.58/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a dark brown, nearly black color with mahogany highlights around the edges. Topped by a voluminous tan head that lasts a long time and can be brought back up by swirling the glass. The aroma is strong roasted notes and a decent bit of hops. The initial taste is a nice roasted flavor with a decent amount of sweetness. Strong chocolate flavors as well, with a decent amount of hop bitterness on the finish, but then a slightly tart sharpness slips in. The sweetness is enough to make me think this is a milk stout of some sort, but the tartness is wrong. The mouthfeel is also a bit thin and watery. Drinkability is poor due to the odd finish and the unimpressive mouthfeel. Four of us tried this, two thought it was decent and two of us didn't care for it at all.

2.63/5  rDev -27.1%

22oz bottle split between two. my portion into a hobgoblin impy pint.

Thanks goes out to naproxen for the chance to review this one.

A- pours black. no light coming through. a creamy 1 1/2 finger head is produced but reduces to a light film withing a couple minutes.

S- not much going on here. pretty much a robust american stout aka "export stout" aromas. spot on for the style but I can't put anything towards exceptional here.

T- waaaayyyy too dry and watery for my taste. it almost has even a sour quality. this reminds me of guiness draught in a bottle which I can drink, but it's actually a little offensive. worse than water.

M- as I said earlier. just way too thin. I didn't see this coming from the pour and smell but it's gone way downhill from there.

D- I couldn't finish my 12oz's poured in my glass. I have a certain distaste for dry stouts but I expect a little more robust flavors from an export stout.

2.73/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

ReaperAle- Mortality Stout

A- Dark deep brackish brown/black with a small flimsy head.
S- Sweet cocoa powder and creamy coffee.
T- Very sweet sugary malt with touches of chocolate and coffee.
M- Just too sweet. Slight dry chalky finish.

Overall- Not impressed. The overly sweet malt dominates. I say avoid this 1.

2.78/5  rDev -23%

22 oz bottle, no date coding whatsoever. Into the Shorts imperial pint glass...

A - Very dark brown body with two and a half fingers of rich brown fluffy head. Some retention, no lacing.

S - Hops show up well in the aroma, adding grass and spice. Sweet chocolate, toffee, coffee, peppercorn and hazelnut really give this beer a beautiful aroma. Further aeration produces more twang and citrus notes that detract from the initial wonderful aroma.

T - One can tell that there are a lot of things going right in this beer. Roasty, chocolatey, nutty with some toffee notes. Citrus hops are very present right from the start. The major problem here in that there is a TON of homebrew-esque twang. The twang really dominates, and makes this hard to enjoy.

M - Mouthfeel is quite smooth, silky, with a mid-full body and little carbonation.

D - I bet this beer would be great on tap. A lot of really good features in this beer, but everything is dominated by the twang. Infected bottle? Flaw in the bottling procedure? Needed more conditioning time? I don't know, but this was a drain pour.

Split with dkachur and CrellMoset

A: Black, with a touch of a browny for some reason. Tan head, fairly creamy.

S: Rich chocolate and roasted notes with some hints of astringency.

T + M: Nuttiness... But the nut flavour seems a bit rancid. Thin, fortunately when it comes to the taste. Some old spent coffee on the finish. Not great.

D: Not very good, unfortunately. Some strange off flavours.

2.83/5  rDev -21.6%

22 oz bomber without a freshness date, but shouldn't be a problem as this one recently arrived in Tx. Fairly cool label with the whole skull and raven thing going on, only slightly over-the-top and garishly goth. Says "Do You Dare?" Why yes...yes I do. Pour is about as nice as it gets. Black color with very little highlighting. Light brown head is creamy, dense and long lasting. Lacing is pretty nice too.

Nose is a bit on the fruity side for an export stout...strawberries, plums and blackberries. Powdered baking cocoa with a little bit of sweetness and some yeasty dough round out the aroma here. Not bad, but not great either.

Taste is pretty thin, even approaching watery with coffee and cola-esque malt flavors leading the way. Some slight astringency, and the ABV is not very well disguised. Light fruits like some cantaloupe and strawberries are in there and is not very tasty in this style of stout. An acrid bitterness lingers long on the palate and pretty sure it is not from hops. This beer is not one of the better foreign export stouts I have had. I wont have too much trouble finishing the bomber but this is not one I will be purchasing again.

2.83/5  rDev -21.6%

Dennis: This beer was a gift, and as such I'll have no complaints about price or anything like that. From the get go this bottle had me sold, I wanted to love it simply because of the ballsy wording and label art, but all that happened was that I ended up feeling let down sorta. This is a good solid stout, good coloring, hints of coffee and chocolate, with just a little bit of a funky bitterness at the end (kind of reminded me of a milk stout, but was probably the 7.5% alcohol), but beyond that there's nothing much to it. I had hoped for a lot more malt backbone, and some bold hops to really crank the intensity up to 11, but in the end I was left slightly unfulfilled, and wishing I had just had a Czar or Storm King.
Jen: I was expecting a lot more out of this stout, but I don't hate it either. It starts off with a light aroma of chocolate and coffee. The taste is of mocha, roasted malts and a slight burntness to it. The chalkiness, IMO, is almost overwhelming anything great this beer could have been, so instead it is just good. For 7.5% it is fairly easy to drink, but leaves a sourness in your mouth afterwards. I wish with a name like this, it would have been better!

2.93/5  rDev -18.8%

Nice roasted flavor not bad, okay I think this beer is one of the more true locals, I do graphic design for a living and believe the label for the beer was made by the guys that created the beer or perhaps they have a friend who made it, really!!! papyrus for the mortality stout font....I personally think papyrus should be outlawed along with the fajita font... It seems every grandma or antique shopper uses these damned fonts...sorry for going on a rant....I happen to be a design snob, but I also am a beer snob, sort of, and while reaper ale has a generic trying too hard design, they do have a high quality beer.

2.98/5  rDev -17.5%

Really cool imagery, but the beer doesn't quite live up to it. Pours a thick black color with a medium beige head. Fairly thick lacing. Aroma of bitter coffee and dark malt. Medium bodied and fairly dry, this isn't the easiest Stout to drink. Very bitter roasted coffee flavor with an acidic aspect that does not mellow at all throughout the glass. Overall it is unbalanced on the sharp side. The finish is in line with the rest of the experience, being bitter with a little bit of roasty malt. There are many better Stouts out there.

2.98/5  rDev -17.5%

Really cool head color: it is mocha with a red tinge. The rest is black black even when held up to the light. The smell is slightly alcoholic which makes it a touch sour, but mostly chocolate malts. Definitely not a real smooth and creamy nose. Taste has it's ups and downs. The alcohol is pretty prevalent (however I am notoriously very sensitive to that). I don't get a relate-able flavor from the malts (such as coffee or caramel) because there is this strange sourness from the alc that takes everything over. Still some sweet flavors that hang around to keep things in check. The body could be a touch smoother, too, as it feels slightly too carbonated to me considering the huge malty-sweet-sour characters.

Honestly, I think this is, and many other imperial stouts are, over the top, rejecting flavor in place of abv and "cred." Bring the ABVs down a touch and I bet I would be able to pick out a lot more of the tasty nuances of this brew. But that may just be my anti-high grav self talking.

3.08/5  rDev -14.7%

Out of a 22 ounce bomber bottle and into my nonic pint glass. The stout appears a deep brown color with about an inch of fluffy tan foam. Nose and flavor are of roasted grains, bittersweet cocoa, caramel, bitter and pungent bad coffee, dark toast. Medium bodied with ample carbonation.

3.08/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours opaque with off-white head. Aroma is sweet, cream, and some notes of chocolate. Taste is very subtle: slight chocolate with a dry finish and rather boring in flavor. Light carbonation in this medium-bodied brew. This is not quite what I look for in a stout. It was drinkable but not very enjoyable.

3.08/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle courtesy of proteus93 - thanks! Split three ways w/ dkachur and the aforementioned proteus, my portion poured into an Allagash flute.

Appearance: Pours a deep, dark brown with a fast-fading part-offwhite, part-tan head

Aroma: Tons of chocolate, but unfortunately also tons of paint. Sort of a latexy, plasticy paint note. Earthy, dirty malt notes, too. A sort of sour, foul milky lactose note

Taste: Nuttiness, tons of sour, roasted astringencies, dark malts, bitter chocolate. A few distinct sour notes, perhaps citrus. Bad walnuts is what this tastes like. Sour, funky, ugh.

Mouthfeel: A little thin, mild carbonation, medium body. Nothing offensive here, but nothing too impressive either.

Drinkability: This is one funky, sour, with way too many malted, roasted astringencies. This one was rough, really rough, and I can't recommend it to anyone.

3.1/5  rDev -14.1%

The first aroma that strikes me from this beer is the smell of an old doorway (why I don't know but it just is), after this I get an aroma of roast malt. This beer is a bit oily in character. It has a roast flavor that dominates the flavor profile. This beer is mostly easy drinking, it could be better if it had more of a malty body to it. This is definitely not a bad beer but it is lacking some oomph.

3.13/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured an opaque black with an eighth inch tan head. Small, fine, fast moving bubbles. Little to no lacing.

The smell reminded me mostly of soy sauce. Not very inviting. A hint of burnt cocoa perhaps as well.

The taste was better than the smell by far. Up front toasted dark cocoa powder. Slightly bitter like baking chocolate. You can really taste the chocolate malts. A definite hop tang, although what type of hops I couldn't say. After taste of blue cheese? I think so...

Mouth feel was good, smoother than expected with all the fast moving bubbles. Not as biting as I would have imagined. Medium bodied, again not as thick as the color might lead you to assume.

Drinkable in it's own right, but when reaching for a double stout I'd sooner reach for a Storm King.

Mortality Stout from ReaperAle