Deathly Pale Ale - ReaperAle

Deathly Pale AleDeathly Pale Ale

good

ReaperAle visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2002)

djrn2, Jun 22, 2014

Latarnik, May 24, 2014

harpus, Mar 19, 2014

RMelyon, Jul 01, 2013
4.83/5  rDev +31.3%

I will be the first to admit that I knew better and yet I still allowed circumstances to dictate to me. I bought a bomber of this long enough ago that I cannot remember when or where. I was really just beginning to seriously immerse myself in craft beer and I was thinking that I needed to share bombers with others. It got shuttled into my basement and soon forgotten until it made the crosstown shift to Chez Woody where it went into the basement. Doh! You are not supposed to age PAs or IPAs and this was approaching voting age. I lovingly brought it upstairs, chilled it, rinsed the dust off of it and set it in the sink, anticipating a gusher and subsequent drainpour.

Imagine my surprise and elation when nothing happened! I got a sampler glass out and poured some into that and braced myself for the worst. Still nothing untoward. I then used a goblet and utilized the most gentle pour ever. I got only wisps of head as a result, but carbonation was quite evident. Color was a coppery-orange with NE-quality clarity. Nose reminded me of Orange Pekoe tea and I was again nostalgic, remembering my late Pops, the cook in our family when I was growing up and my inspiration in high school. I know how to cook, I just do not like to do so for only myself. He always made tea on Chun King nights and this was it. Mouthfeel was actually prickly, bespeaking how well the CO2 had held up. The taste was very orange citrus and while whatever hops had once existed were long gone, but the alchemy that had transpired was phenomenal and totally unexpected. The finish was caramel, orange (BIG orange) and a slight mustiness. Wow! Not recommended for others, but this worked out in my favor.

woodychandler, Mar 16, 2013

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

RoryOMoore, Feb 28, 2012

bonbini26, Jan 10, 2012
3.05/5  rDev -17.1%

Had a chance to suck down a reaper deathly pale ale. It was OK. The color was darker clear orange with slight haziness. The head was white and laced. The smell was dominated by fresh hops...not alot of pine or citrus however....but definietly fresh hops. The taste was very tart and/or sour. Hops dominate the taste and there was not much malt to balance the hops. Mouthfeel was downgraded due to the tartness of this beer. One 22oz bottle was enough. Massive settlement...so make sure you pour to a point then cut it off. Overall it was ok.

WoodBrew, Oct 14, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -7.6%

Rust orange beer, mostly clear with just a slight haze to it. The head is khaki and thick for a pale ale. It's sticky, creamy and sticks to the edge of the glass. A hearty looking APA.

The nose is sweet from a strong malt base. Then there is a juicy fruit, citrus punch that again is bold for the style but not unwelcome. This smells better then some ipa's out there so I expect that I'm in for a treat.

The taste strays from that winning formula found in the nose. It leans more towards a fruity flavor and a musty sweet malt. Not the hop bomb I was expecting from the nose. Those little green cones are there but are muted compared to the meaty grain flavor.

Mouthfeel takes a step in the right direction with a creamy body but ripe with a sharp bitterness. Clean and smooth feeling that is quite delightful but is somewhat ruined by the taste in the finish. The brew ends up in a kind of baked apple area that really isn't appealing. A shame because this one looks, smells and feels great but loses it's luster in the taste.

jbphoto88, Oct 01, 2011
2.55/5  rDev -30.7%

22 oz bomber popped huge when opening and was an instant gusher, infection or just over-carbonated? Obviously has a massive white head and is slower than hell to recede.

Nose only smells slightly infected...very bright, very citric hop aroma with just a pale biscuit malt background.

Yup, its infected. Still drinkable though, has a woody, somewhat earthy sourness to go along with some bright hoppy flavors. Too bad, I kinda liked the nose and where this was going. 5 bucks down the drain...oh well. If I do give it another go, it would have to be a tap pint. I am a proponent of reviewing infected beers so that if others encounter the same issues, at least there is some frame of reference. I doubt the brewery folk read these, but if they do then they will know there is a problem as well.

twiggamortis420, Aug 26, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

This beer poured out as a yellowish orange color with a thick billowing white head on it. The head leaves a nice looking lacing on the glass too. The smell of the beer has a good amount of hops on the nose and some pale malts. The nose is a little floral. The taste is crisp and had a solid bitterness to it. The mouthfeel was good also, it had plenty of carbonation to it and it was dry too. Overall it was an enjoyable pale ale.

Knapp85, Jul 05, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +6%

On the pour there wasn't much of a head, then it appeared that one was forming but it disapeared quickly. Gold orange and yellow mixing into the body. It's really weird looking in a interesting way. Tiny bubbles that seem not to move at all. Some sediment, not a whole lot. Beautiful lacing on the glass from the filmy head that reappeared later.

I smell caramel, some citrus hops, a slight nuttiness and a bready malt. I really have to go digging for the aromas because it's a little muted.

I don't have to go digging for the taste, quite delicious right away. A lot of sweet toasted flavors, caramel, hazelnut and bread. Slight hop flavors coming in at the end to give it a little bitterness. The malt is the main attraction here, quite tasty.

Light body, medium carbonation, a very easy drinking beer. It doesn't leave the mouth dry; it leaves my lips slightly sticky.

This bomber was on clearance at one of my favorite beer stores. I have had Reaper Ale's Mortality Stout, which I recall was pretty good, so I decided to pick this bad boy up. At first sip it wowed me; I wasn't expecting this. Toasted flavors which worked quite well for this brew. Bitterness was on the outskirts which is okay.
On my second pour a head did a appear. I'm thinking it might be due to the temperature as it sat. As I continued to drink it, it was still tasty but the wow factor was going away. It still is a solid brew and worth a shot.

9InchNails, Jun 19, 2011
2.35/5  rDev -36.1%

22oz bottle. Pours a cloudy dark amber color with a thin head. Aroma is sour. Very little lacing. Picking up on some yeast as well but basically it just smells tart as hell. Taste is tart and metallic with some breadiness. This does not taste like a Pale Ale at all. This does not taste very good. It kind of tastes like drinking a glass of sour pennies. Drinking the whole bomber by myself seems like a daunting task at this point. Overall, do not get this beer.

PicoPapa, Jun 01, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -7.6%

22 Ounce portion sold at Giant Eagle Market District...Pale copper amber hue with a big off white head forming thick and chunky like bread rising from a biscuit pan. Aroma has citrus/grassy/herbal notes with a tart finish there's no bottling date. I have a guess that this stuff is aged a bit, I'm just glad it's sold in PA. The tart finish doesn't distract me at all, it's actually an interesting flavor profile. Tart stale hop profile, citrus floral presence, mouthfeel is medium bodied oily mouthfeel easy going carbonation. Drinkability is solid even for a dated pale ale, I would like to try it fresh.

WVbeergeek, Jan 18, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -23.1%

This beer pours a golden color with a large laceing head. The smell is weak an unnoticalable. The taste is odd for an apa. Its not as dry as other apas but has a sweet then sour grapefruit like flavor, but finishs with a dry like flavor. Not much carbonation with this one even though there was a large head. Overall iam not sure about this one, not bad not good.

vette2006c5r, Dec 04, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

Nice looking beer, almost looks like a hefeweizen, very cloudy with a nice head. A blonde colored body. Very interesting taste. Not hoppy at ale, almost more of a witbier flavor. A bit sour and very flavorful. Nothing like I expected after the pour and scents of it. Nice and tangy, no bitterness, whatsoever. Very crisp and fruity. This one is extremely different and took me by surprise. Definitely not a pale ale, but so what. Very good in it's ownright. Will get it again.

bigdeuce, Nov 26, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

A: Rich, cloudy brown. Thick-looking (if that makes any sense)
S: Sweeter than I would have expected - almost syrupy?
T: Good, smooth pale ale. Worthy of a Halloween party!
M: Fair - this did not knock me over.
D: Fun pale ale. Not overly hoppy, but still full of flavor.

IndolentReader, Oct 29, 2010
3.08/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass. Huge pillowy, foamy, marshmallowy head with a lot of lace. Orange colored brew.

Aroma full of malt sweetness, floral/citrus hops. Taste follows suit, very sweet beer almost tart with a soft hoppyness. Orange marmalade, apple cider, and just a hint of bitterness. Overly sweet for a pale ale.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, drinkable beer but not enough hops and a weird cider like character.

Stinkypuss, Oct 07, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +11.4%

From the smell one might judge this pale ale to be a hefeweizen owing to it's rich citrus scent. The coloring disproves this notion as the rich coppery liquid flows from the bottle. The first taste denotes a not over-bearing hopiness as well as clear hints of lemon and/or lime. The crisp and clear taste is tartly sweet yet bitter. I want to be clear: these flavors compliment each other rather than conflict. It is as though a hefeweizen and an ipa have married and spawned this delicious offspring, smooth and slightly fruity yet bold and hoppy all at once. The acidic mouth feel is reminiscent of a chardonnay as is the crisp flavor. This ale is, in a word, complex. In several words it is mischievous, daring, pragmatic, vexing, and... Well I could go on and on with superfluous ten dollar words, or you could try it for your self, fir about the same amount. I've rarely paid nine bucks for a beer but this is the best return I've ever gotten on such an investment. There is a slightly more-than-subtle coppery after taste which reminds me of blood, appropriate of this beer's title.

EddieTheTrooper, Jun 18, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured into my Zatec fluted glass. 2 fingers of head with decent lacing and retention. Very aromatic. Citrus, floral, sweet malt notes. Very well balanced, citrus flavors, and a bit of malt balance. Great straight up American Pale. Very drinkable with a nice lingering bitterness.

WestValleyIPA, Jun 17, 2010