Deathly Pale Ale - ReaperAle

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2002

Ratings: 102 | Reviews: 90
4.82/5  rDev +30.6%

I will be the first to admit that I knew better and yet I still allowed circumstances to dictate to me. I bought a bomber of this long enough ago that I cannot remember when or where. I was really just beginning to seriously immerse myself in craft beer and I was thinking that I needed to share bombers with others. It got shuttled into my basement and soon forgotten until it made the crosstown shift to Chez Woody where it went into the basement. Doh! You are not supposed to age PAs or IPAs and this was approaching voting age. I lovingly brought it upstairs, chilled it, rinsed the dust off of it and set it in the sink, anticipating a gusher and subsequent drainpour.

Imagine my surprise and elation when nothing happened! I got a sampler glass out and poured some into that and braced myself for the worst. Still nothing untoward. I then used a goblet and utilized the most gentle pour ever. I got only wisps of head as a result, but carbonation was quite evident. Color was a coppery-orange with NE-quality clarity. Nose reminded me of Orange Pekoe tea and I was again nostalgic, remembering my late Pops, the cook in our family when I was growing up and my inspiration in high school. I know how to cook, I just do not like to do so for only myself. He always made tea on Chun King nights and this was it. Mouthfeel was actually prickly, bespeaking how well the CO2 had held up. The taste was very orange citrus and while whatever hops had once existed were long gone, but the alchemy that had transpired was phenomenal and totally unexpected. The finish was caramel, orange (BIG orange) and a slight mustiness. Wow! Not recommended for others, but this worked out in my favor.

4.54/5  rDev +23%

22 oz bomber.

Pours a reddish orange with a thin head. The aroma on this beer is fabulous. Very potent and complex. It smells of sweet fruit and even lychee. The flavor opens very malty with diacetyl fruitiness and floral hops. There is a touch of dark malt in the ending and some grassy and sandy flavored bitterness. Overall the beer has a complex fruit, malt, and floral balance. It is a unique and crisp beer.

4.35/5  rDev +17.9%

Reviewed Halloween evening, 2009. Poured a very nice deep copper color with fantastic head and lacing. Great scent, very deep bitter aromas, a lot of citrus tones and a slight pine tinge. Great taste, a nice deep maltiness with a fantastic bitter ending; very nice American hops (citrus) with a nice earthy undertone to it. Goes down very nice, with just the slightest hop roughness. Great beer.

4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

Although it's best enjoyed slightly warmed (around cellar temperature), it needs to be poured cold and allowed to calm for a few minutes. It pours a slightly hazy orange-amber with golden highlights beneath an inch of creamy off-white foam that resembles the rocky and dimpled lunar surface. Tiny bubbles that grow larger as they near the surface teem below it's creamy head, no doubt adding to its excellent head retention. It holds a half inch or more of densely creamy head throughout the first half of the glass and leaving solid walls of lace throughout the first quarter. Even towards the end of the glass, it maintains a thin, creamy lid and leaves wide splashes of lace. The nose offers sweet, cookie dough and toasty, bread-like malt over lightly floral and sweetly citrusy hops. The body is medium-full and it's fine and natural carbonation leaves it lightly tingly and then velvety smooth across the palate. The flavor follows the lead of the aroma with a honeyish, caramel-tinged, and bready malt combined with floral, grassy and citrusy hops. It's bitterness is decidedly solid, yet it never overwhelms as it's balanced by rich maltiness. Still, it finishes long and drying with its doughy malts and splashes of citrusy hops steadily fading. An impressive, satisfying and easy to drink pale ale.

4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

Deathly Pale? I think not. This beer pours a deep amber-orange with a creamy white head. Good head retention, and even more can be recalled by swirling the glass. The aroma is sharply hoppy, but a bit of malt sweetness still slips thorugh. The taste is again very hoppy, but supported by a good malt backbone. The hop profile is very even as well, standing out from the first sip well into the aftertaste. The lingering soapiness is wonderful. Mouthfeel is very solid, and although the carbonation looks strong, it is not excessively obtrusive on the palate. And although I shared this bottle with three others, I could have quaffed the whole thing myself. This is a very good APA.

4.32/5  rDev +17.1%

ReaperAle- Deathly Pale Ale

A- Clear golden copper with a huge thick foamy head. Good lacing.
S- Nice sweet grainy malt, caramel, butter, and oily green hops.
T- Nice buttery caramel malt with good cracked grain. Sweet oily fresh picked green hops.
M- Thick and malty with a nice sweet oily hop touch. Big sweet fresh hops leave a slight dry and bitter finish on the tongue.

Overall- Great smell and taste. An easy session beer and a solid Pale Ale. Worth seeking out!

4.32/5  rDev +17.1%

Good thing I happened to pour this into an oversize glass - wow - at least three inches of head - and talk about staying power - frothy clumps stuck together to the very end like marshallow cream.

Hopasauraus Rex in a bottle - cascades dance about the tastebuds but the malt balances quite well. Finishes with a soft sweetness. A very well done pale ale, with APA tendencies.

Extra style points for the bottle artwork - the grim reaper on horseback silhouetted against a full moon. Reminds me of a Molly Hatchet album cover (yes, you might be a redneck if.....).

4.3/5  rDev +16.5%

My brother-in-law and I split a bomber of this brew while I was in Phoenix. Once emptied into my waiting pint glass, Deathly Pale Ale showed its colors; a nice orangy copper hue upon which perched a foamy off-white head that left streaky lace behind.
The nose had a nice toasty malt aroma and a surprisingly potent citric hoppiness. Little hints of oranges and hops juice floated out of the glass to mingle with the malt. The taste mirrored the nose quite well. Nice earthy malts up front, not overly sweet. Crisp. Biting pine-laden hops flavor surged to the fore mid-palate and continued through the finish, leaving a good resinous hoppy coating in the mouth. This is one well-hopped pale ale! The feel was light-to-medium bodied and a tad slick.
Overall, no complaints about this offering from Reaper Ales. A nicely crafted pale ale that I'd be happy to have again.

4.3/5  rDev +16.5%

Pours a hazy orange brew.

Smell is fairly malty with a small scent of cascade hops to it.

Taste is malty with a stronger than expected bitterness. A strong flavor of caramel comes through the bitterness.

Mouthfeel is good.

A tasty drinkable brew that is neither too sweet nor too bitter, it is just right.

4.3/5  rDev +16.5%

Presentation: Bomber with a dark green label, which has a skull in each corner, and a silhouette picture of a horse-mounted Grim Reaper in front of a full moon with the words “Do You Dare?” in blood red. Brewed by Bayhawk Ales, and listed as “ReaperAle – Deathly Pale Ale”. No freshness, but the strength is stated as 5.4% in the bottom left hand corner.

Appearance: Amber-copper with some deep-orange hints when back lit. Poured into my 24 ounce Mug, it took only half of the Bombers contents to fill it, because the expansive head rapidly forms a huge, off-white frothy mass. High levels of small bubble carbonation.

Nose: Surprisingly hoppy, way more than what I expected from a Pale Ale. Some citric, orange and lemon zesty hints, and some oily pine needles. I like this one.

Taste: An astringent fruity hoppiness that mixes well with the balanced malts. The finish has lemony hoppiness entwined in pine needles that lends an oily, slightly sticky finish on the tongue. Chuffin’ good!!

Mouthfeel: Solid and strong, hop dominant with a smooth body. Oily slick feeling in the mouth that seems to last forever after the beer is swallowed.

Drinkability: A superb American Pale Ale that drinks well, the hops and malts balance with the fruitiness of the beer. The lingering tastes often delay the next mouthfeel whilst you appreciate the flavors in the attenuation, but I still realized that the Bomber was empty was before I expected it to be.

Overall: Bloody hell, this is a *very* nice, “hoppy” offering, from Bayhawk Ales, and a great session beer. A very accomplished, rather endearing APA.

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

"Then the door was open and the wind appeared,
The candles blew and then disappeared,
The curtains flew and then he appeared, saying don't be afraid,
Come on baby... don't fear the Reaper"

--Blue Oyster Cult

Burnished, shimmering orange-bronze with a tremendously active interior. Swirling plumes of fine yeast eventually settle down into a stationary 'frozen blizzard' and multiple streams of vigorously rising bubbles eventually slow to a more sedate rate of rise. This looks for all the world like a hop-riddled IPA. The head completes the wonderful appearance with its heavy, creamy, cropped mesa of light caramel colored foam that is depositing thick blankets of lace on the upper reaches of the glass.

Excellent IPA (er... APA) nose of Left Coast hopitude. Several of the 4-Cs are undoubtedly present, and, if I'm not mistaken, Amarillo may be in there as well. Deathly Pale has a classic brown sugar-crusted grapefruit and orange peel aroma that never fails to make me salivate. Although it could be stronger, effort is rewarded by olfactory excellence.

I know that the boundary between APAs and IPAs is anything but clear-cut, but this beer strikes me as being definitively on the IPA side of the divide. The malt is hanging on by two fingernails and a toenail and *just* does manage to support the hops. The snappy, moderately resiny, white grapefruit zesty, pine sap sappy hop profile is busting out of its APA britches with zealous abandon.

As I reach the midway point of the bomber, it appears that the malt has thrown up the white flag of surrender. The hops now have free reign and I find that I'm beginning to trip on (alpha) acid. This is far from the most bitter beer I've ever poured down my gullet. Having said that, bitterness outpaces hop flavor, keeping it from being as vibrant as it could be.

Lace update: almost no glass is visible due to the still thick layer of hop crust. The finish is medium to medium-full with a tacky mouthcoating that belongs on a bigger beer. Although it may not be big for an IPA, this is the biggest APA mouthfeel that I've ever run across. The bubbles, which were somewhat jumpy initially, are now well-behaved and are just about perfect in the bottom half of the bottle.

This is the biggest and most bitter APA that I've ever had, but not the best. Deathly Pale Ale is my first ReaperAle beer. I've wondered on more than one occasion if they used up all of their creative energy in naming the brewery, naming the beer and coming up with the cool labels. I needn't have worried. Any brewery that is capable of creating an IBU-intensive APA the likes of this one is okay by me. I do not fear the Reaper. And neither should you.

4.2/5  rDev +13.8%

Just found this beer hidden away at the Coralville Liquor store. They had a lot of stuff I hadn't seen anywhere else in the state, surprisingly enough. Good stuff. I'll have to check back often to see how the other stuff is.

The beer is a light golden color, clear and quite well carbonated. Has a nice white foam that retains very well and leaves a great lacing. Looks good.

Smells quite good as well. Nice hops aroma with a light sweet caramel malt. Spicy with a bit of fruity hops. Well balanced. The taste is nice and caramel grainy with a very well balanced hops flavor. I have enjoyed it. I just finished brewing an IPA, so I have a lot of the same flavor coming through, and it is a very pleasant cap to the brew night.

Very easy to drink. I will probably try it again in the future. Honestly, I had low hopes for this beer, but it's good.

4.13/5  rDev +11.9%

Alas, pale ales are the red-headed stepchildren of the beer world. Battered, bruised, and generally under-appreciated, they dwell in those out-of-the-way corners and safely dark places behind the IPA's, the Imperial whatchamacallit's, and all those other hopped-up, smoke 'em if ya got 'em brews that call attention to themselves by their sheer ability to torch your esophogeal tissue.

Still, pale ales deserve a second look. Not Bass, though that occasionally has it's place. No, I'm talking about brew just like this DEATHLY PALE ALE...I was impressed right from the moment I thought I glimpsed it's wonderfully balanced pale-amber color through the impressively labeled bottle...only to realize I couldn't make out any kind of color through the brown glass of the bottle itself. Still, when it poured into the glass I was truly smitten. This beer invited itself into my mouth on looks alone, and that is no small task (just ask my wife!).

More to the point: what an amazingly subtle and balanced flavor! Hops on the one side of my tongue - malt on the other! Confusion! Flavor! Ecstacy! Wow! Hey, I could get used to this...(as the French say) in a "big, mofo way!". This is a pale ale to hold on to, to grapple with, figure out, then buy a few cases to round out your cellar for the next few years.

4.13/5  rDev +11.9%

Don't know if this bottle is a little old or what, but it halfway exploded out of the bottle, tons of head without even trying, staying there in a fluffy, cloudy swirl, off white and leaving nice lacing. Oh, and lots of rising bubbles through a amber to copper color. Nose is a lovely bunch of hops, a cornucopia if you will. Well ripened grapefruit is strong, slightly grassy and piney.

Taste is what I'll call a classic west coast APA; a IIPA anywhere else. The malts are coming through, but playing third fiddle to a heavy hop presence. In fact, the one this keeping it an APA is the malts, though subtle, keeping an obviously massive hopping from becoming too bittering. The hops are full of pine and that dark grapefruit goodness, a floral boquet of happiness. The malts keep things real, sweet but slightly burnt caramel, and slightly bready.

The mouth I found to be, combined with that shitton of flavors, just too much at first. After about a half hour the carbonation settled down, and it turned much nicer, smoother, but still assertive. Overall, I really like this one. Its a lot much for being called an APA, but I can live with that. Lets just call it a damn fine beer.

4.12/5  rDev +11.7%

22oz bottle poured into a chalice.

Pours a very nice rich golden amber color with a small light brown head with some nice lacing. Nose is awesome, very hoppy and sweet.

Taste is bitter and sharp with a very crisp bite. Has a light maltiness and a light twang that's I can't identify. Pretty solid beer worth trying.

4.12/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured into my Zatec fluted glass. 2 fingers of head with decent lacing and retention. Very aromatic. Citrus, floral, sweet malt notes. Very well balanced, citrus flavors, and a bit of malt balance. Great straight up American Pale. Very drinkable with a nice lingering bitterness.

4.12/5  rDev +11.7%

A: Nice amber color with a 2 finger fluffy white head that never really goes away.

S: Mmmm, smells great! Lots of nice fresh grapefruity hops, with just a hint of caramel.

T: One good, bitter pale ale. Healthy dose of grapefruit and citrus hops at the forefront. This leads into a nice caramel sweetness. However, bitterness does dominate all the way through - and I like that. This is what some brewpubs would call an IPA. Personally, this is just the right bitterness for a West Coast Pale. There's also just a very slight touch of sourness at the end (seems almost a touch off maybe? Ehh, it's not enough that I have a problem with it).

M: Good relatively full mouthfeel for a pale, but finishes relatively crisply too. Medium to high carbonation - it's at a nice level.

D: Very drinkable. Nice and tasty!

Just glad I got the chance to try one of the ReaperAles before they completely disappeared off shelves. I've heard some rumours they may be coming back at some point - I hope so, as this beer at least was quite good.

If you see a bottle of this, grab it while you can.

4.11/5  rDev +11.4%

Had this in a 22oz bomber with a picture of the Grim Reaper on the label. This pours a hazy orange color with a large dirty white foam head that has excellent retention. Leaves a decent streaky lacing about the glass as well. The aroma is of a slight malt and a fairly dominate citrus hop, the smell got stronger as this warmed. This is definitely a hopped up PA as the citrus piney hops dominate most of the flavor with a very slight malt sweetness of balance this one out. A biting bitter after taste is present as well that is pleasant and leaves a hoppy flavor lingering about for a while. Mouthfeel is light to medium with decent carbonation. A pretty darn good Pale Ale overall that I would definitely have again.

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

Appearance: pours a clear orange color with a thick 2" head. Thick lacing develops through the drink. Plenty of carbonation bubbles streaming to the top.

Smell: the nose picks up plenty of citrus and pinecones.

Taste: the flavor is dominated by strong bitterness, but the caramel along with the orange / lemon zest provide a nice balance. Slight dryness too. Typical west coast style I enjoy.

Mouthfeel: very crisp at the start, less so at the finish.

Drinkability: I rank this pretty high on the drinkability scale as this is a decent session beer.

4.08/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the smell one might judge this pale ale to be a hefeweizen owing to it's rich citrus scent. The coloring disproves this notion as the rich coppery liquid flows from the bottle. The first taste denotes a not over-bearing hopiness as well as clear hints of lemon and/or lime. The crisp and clear taste is tartly sweet yet bitter. I want to be clear: these flavors compliment each other rather than conflict. It is as though a hefeweizen and an ipa have married and spawned this delicious offspring, smooth and slightly fruity yet bold and hoppy all at once. The acidic mouth feel is reminiscent of a chardonnay as is the crisp flavor. This ale is, in a word, complex. In several words it is mischievous, daring, pragmatic, vexing, and... Well I could go on and on with superfluous ten dollar words, or you could try it for your self, fir about the same amount. I've rarely paid nine bucks for a beer but this is the best return I've ever gotten on such an investment. There is a slightly more-than-subtle coppery after taste which reminds me of blood, appropriate of this beer's title.

4.08/5  rDev +10.6%

This is a nice copper colored beer with good clarity and a dense, thick inch-head on top. Pleasantly hoppy aroma, with lots of citrusy hop notes. The taste is mostly hops, grapefruity, with some light, sweet malt, but it is definitely forced into the background by the bitterness. The finish is bracingly dry. Moderate bodied, with a good creamy mouthfeel.

4.07/5  rDev +10.3%

Golden orange sort of color, lots of bubbling and fizzing going on. Good looking white head with nice stick.

Citric hopping on the nose, not much else, but very pleasant. The flavor is nice and hoppy - very little on the malt front. Actually, it's not much of a front. The grapefruit is present, orange peel present; plenty of resin and pine sap.

This is a hell of an APA. A little overly bitter, but I like it. If I'm rocking a pale ale, this is the kind of pale ale I'd like to rock.

4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

The beer pours a cloudy burnt orange color with lots of floaties and a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a nice malt scent that boasts of pale, carapils, and roasted malts along with a substantial bitter hop aroma. The taste is good. It has a smooth and creamy flavor that's dry and toastey. It goes down smooth and finishes with a very bitter hop bite. It has a nice piney hop flavor. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium/full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a good American pale. It has a solid malt base with excellent hop qualities; a good drinker.

4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

Served from bottle into standard pint glass.

Pours medium amber, slightly hazy, with a nice half inch off white head. Excellent retention, eventually settling into a decent amount of lace.

Pretty fruity nose. Touch of piney hops, but mostly orange citrus aromas.

Taste is hoppy as well. Upfront, I'm getting a touch of a bready/biscuity malt flavor sneaking through, coupled with orange citrus hop notes. Hops turn towards nice lingering grapefruit bitterness in the finish.

Medium body, moderately carbonated. Very drinkable, pretty crisp....excellent example of the style. Could see drinking a few of these in a sitting.

4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

22 oz bomber.
6.2% abv. 45 IBU's.

Just got this in at a local store. Kinda surprised a small micro from California made it all the way out to Iowa, but it intrigued me enough to try it.
Pale ale, eh? Looks dark for a supposed "pale ale", but I'll go with it... it looks damn good. Pours a dark orange with a head of foam that just doesn't know when to die..and leaves a thick coating of lace down the glass..
More hoppy than malty, but still seems quite well balanced, as both sides are showcased very well. Up-front bready malts with a caramel backing...then the Cascade & Chinook hops are unleashed and take over from there..should definitely be considered quite bold for the style, and would certainly satisfy most hop fiends. Fairly high abv for a pale ale, and a definite winner in my book..I hope to try more from this new brewery.

"Do You Dare?" Absolutely.

Deathly Pale Ale from ReaperAle