Guinness Special Export Stout (John Martin - Belgium) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Special Export Stout (John Martin - Belgium)Guinness Special Export Stout (John Martin - Belgium)

pDev: 10%
Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Foreign / Export Stout |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 06-28-2003)

beerutiful1, Sep 02, 2013

simoen, Aug 27, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -34.5%

Coren, Aug 27, 2013
4.51/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

33cl Bottle

I got this bottle from one of the trading elite, BitterBill. Happy St. Patty's Day Bill, here's to you my friend! Wow, the head on this Guinness is like that from a nitro can, very impressive. A soft pour easily conjures up two-plus fingers of incredibly creamy foam. The body is black like strong coffee and shows some flashing chestnut highlights. The head slooowly falls to one fat finger of meringue-like peaks and valleys while leaving sticky clump lacing as far as the eye can see. Impressive!

This is like no Guinness I've ever had the opportunity to imbibe. Dense roastiness kicks things off while molasses and fudge make appearances of their own. Tendrils of smoke manage to make it up through the rich maltiness and a clean alcohol brings up the rear. There are even hints of dark fruit such as plums and figs. This is a pleasant surprise.

I'm actually drinking this side by side with a Guinness Extra Stout and I don't see where these two are even close to being similar. The roastiness kicks in up front again and rides the wave all the way through the mouth. Molasses, fudge, cocoa, and those dark fruits pop in here and there to add layer upon layer of flavor to this wonderful brew. The swallow has a touch of heat but no sign of alcohol beyond that.

The mouthfeel is spot on with carbonation on the low side and a hefty enough body to coat the tongue. There's a slight slickness left behind and a somewhat powdery feel on the drying finish. The touch of heat on the swallow warms my chest after each sip.

This bottle is disappearing far too quickly and it's my only one. If this was available around here a 6-pack would go down on an evening like this without a problem, besides the buzz of course, which usually isn't a problem.

I don't know what to say about this brew. It's one of the best of one of my favorite styles. I figured good things for this brew but I'm blown away! Thanks again for this wonderful treat Bill! If you order anymore let me know.

Reviewed: 3/17/09

bonbini26, Jun 24, 2013

Slatetank, May 26, 2013

BlackSpark, May 26, 2013
3.98/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4

Nice lookin beer. Pitch black with a tan head that sticks around.
Understated aroma. Nice and chocolaty, with considerable sweetness, and maybe some figs, but not too pronounced.
It's full flavored, and full-bodied. Lots of chocolate and sweetness, with a nice roasted touch to it that could be, and for me should be, a larger part of the flavor profile. A little bitterness from the roast, and probably a little more from the hops, though I wasn't able to perceive any hop flavor in this one.
Full, rich mouthfeel. Not too thin for the style, not too big, just right.
A good big stout, though I wish there was some kind of slight hop flavor there, and I'm not one who generally likes super-hopped stouts.

mmmbirra, Apr 27, 2013

jandadeboer, Mar 25, 2013

safaricook, Mar 23, 2013

ChugMan, Mar 16, 2013

DmanGTR, Feb 06, 2013
4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

I had a chance to try this beer again while in Greece. The Foreign Extra Stout has become my favorite Guinness in the US so I wanted to have another taste of this guy to see who would win out. I would say no doubt that this is my favorite Guinness stout and rates high overall on the stouts I like. Even though not classified an Imperial stout, the alcohol content is high. It lacks the bitterness of a regular Guinness; it is almost sweet. Pours a dark black colour with no head. I don't know if it is served on tap anywhere but I would like to try it if it is.

Argion, Feb 02, 2013

Ciocanelu, Jan 31, 2013

unclekeith, Jan 30, 2013

phishbone23, Jan 23, 2013

spycow, Jan 14, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

KLSKNick, Jan 12, 2013
Guinness Special Export Stout (John Martin - Belgium) from Guinness Ltd.