Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Smithwick's Imported Premium Irish Ale - Guinness Ltd.

Smithwick's Imported Premium Irish AleSmithwick's Imported Premium Irish Ale

Guinness Ltd. visit their website

Irish Red Ale |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 04-01-2006

Reviews: 766 | Hads: 2,543

I had my first Smithwick's while in divinity school last summer. It's dark full bodied flavor was the perfect beverage for the peppered venison tenderloin I sizzled up for supper on several occasions. This is a smooth, non-bitter, manly brew.

4.94/5  rDev +42%

Since everyone else has described the flavor (which is all highly subjective), this is the "go-to" beer in my household. It's smooth and light and just an all-around solid Irish ale.

When I brew my Irish ale, this is the benchmark I use.

4.92/5  rDev +41.4%

This is one of my favorite beers hands down.

The color is light brown and very clear. When poured it left a good 1.5" head that stuck around for quite a while and laced the glass nicely.

Smells great, like baked bread, somewhat malty, sweet.

Wonderful tasting beer. It has a very balanced taste roasty and malty and very comforting.

This beer is not too thick but also not too weak. It's got great carbonation and it's very smooth going down.

I could and have drank these all night long. No problem. In fact my picture is from Halloween three years ago where I was drinking pitchers of Smithwicks by myself. The wait to get a beer from the bar was half an hour long so when we got up there we would just order pitchers for ourselves and drink straight out of those. Needless to say it was a messy way to drink. But a fun one.

4.8/5  rDev +37.9%

Every person has their own taste. This is the absolute best beer I have ever had. The color was a darkish brown red with a perfect cream color head. The taste and flavor of this beer far exceeded what I expected and left me wanting more. It was a heavy beer to me which is my style but may not be agreed upon my others. Overall perfection here in my book. I wouldnt change a thing, but thats all just opinion.

4.8/5  rDev +37.9%

One of my favorites
Pours a nice mahogany color with a 1 finger off white head
Very light caramel smell
Nice light-to-medium mouthfeel with just the right amount of carbonation
Very nice semi-sweet malt taste with lingering hops at the end
Being able to find this almost everywhere (Meijers even has this in the cold section), pricing is right, makes this one of the best Irish Ales I've had.

4.72/5  rDev +35.6%

A - Dark red color and with out light it looks black with a 1 inch head on top.

S - a maulty smell that is intoxicating in its self.

T - Sweet with a stout type of after taste to it

M - Crisp and clean all through out your mouth

D - you can definalty sit down and and have a few of these with out getting sick of them

4.68/5  rDev +34.5%

I had this on tap at a local bar. I had never heard of this beer before trying it. Heard it was made by Guinness, and thought I might give it a try. Pours a reddish brown color. With about 2 finger length head that recedes quite quickly. Leaves a light lace on the glass. Hints of caramel, sweet with some smoothness, and light carbonation.
Goes down pretty good. All around good beer. I would take this over a Guinness Draught.

4.68/5  rDev +34.5%

I have to say, for the price I was extremely pleasantly surprised. The taste is balanced and smooth and vaguely reminds me of pumpernickel bread and coffee beans. The high level of malt gives it a lasting and satisfying thickness that lends itself to slow enjoyment.

For the price, the taste is exceptional.
A very thick brew with plenty of substance.
Alcohol is not very pronounced in this brew, which allows the subtlety of the malt and hops to come through and form a delicious blend of flavor.

It could stand a little more flavor, possibly a pinch more hops.

Really, for the price, you can't go wrong. It's a good beer, not perfect, but it's a heck of a lot better than it's price tag would suggest.

4.66/5  rDev +33.9%

Found this beer by accident, was looking for a partner for a Black and Tan. Our local LCBO doesn't carry Bass Ale anymore so Smithwicks was suggested as an alternative. Now my beer of choice. Being of German descent i've always enjoyed German beers, Smithwicks is now 1rst choice

4.65/5  rDev +33.6%

First tried this beer on-tap back in '07 at The Recovery Room in Mineola, Long Island while attending nearby Hofstra. Been hooked since then, whether on-tap or from the bottle.

A-Has somewhat the look of Guinness, but lighter looking and more amber/reddish; very enticing.

S-Aroma not very pungent, but not too dull either. Moderate at best.

T-Exactly the way all Irish red ales should taste. Touches of caramel and malt. Has the characteristic of being heavy, like most ales, yet easy on the taste buds.

M-Again, caramel heavily present in the ale's aftertaste.

D-Bartender, keep 'em comin'!

Serving type-Either bottle or on-tap (though I lean more towards the on-tap variety)

4.55/5  rDev +30.7%

Enjoyed on a Monday evening after work (01-19-09) with a group of friends.

A: Dark & clear. Red & brown with some carbonation. Little lacing. The head was small.

S: Malt & hops. A tad sour, as it should be.

T: Earthy, roasted malt. A dry & bitter, slighty hop finish.

M: Light body. Crisp, but carby.

D: I'm almost always excited to find Smithwick's on tap & will default to it unless there is a craft on tap I either like or haven't tried.

Ahh, Schmidt-icks...my old friend.

4.55/5  rDev +30.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: Very dark amber brownish. Nice head with really good close retention. Light brown chocolate foam, somewhat reddish color, thick lacing and great cling

S: Roasted malt and some nut.

T: Very roasted malt flavor with smooth close. Smokiness at the end. More toasted flavors in the middle with a watery caramel character.

M: Pretty smooth, not quite what I would call creamy.

4.53/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draught pour in a branded glass in my local village pub. Appearance is a dark ruby-red with a creamy head, it smells fruity, hoppy and with hints of caramel. Taste is balanced, not too sweet or too bitter and feels great going down, not too heavy but also not too light with a light, not bitter, caramelly aftertaste. Overall his is one of my favorite beers and I do a "BlackSmith" when I want to transition to a heavier stout. Can drink this all evening.

4.5/5  rDev +29.3%

Surprisingly, I have never had this beer before and ordered this on tap at a local Irish pub by the suggestion of the bartender.

Nice brownish/red hue that did justice to the 16 oz pint glass.

Had a citrusy/spicy flavor and semi-creamy consistency that went down well..

Somewhat high carbonation, with a creamy head that didn't last too terribly long. However, the lacing was fantastic and the drinkability smooth. A refreshing beer that would probably compliment this particular establishment's pub fare very well.

I will definitely have this beer again and pick up a six for the fridge.

4.5/5  rDev +29.3%

The first time I had Smithwicks was when I got a case for a Buffett concert. Haven't had it again until now. This is just a good beer. It pours a red/brown with a pillowy off white head that fades slowly. The is s sweet citrus smell that is very inviting.
The taste is just good , it has a light hoppy finish. This is a session beer through and through. Thanks Lisa for this Christmas present.

4.48/5  rDev +28.7%

My favorite beer to date.

A: Incredibly long lasting head with a dark copper brown body. Perfect.

S: Smell's a bit burned, but it also smells of roasted coffee yum!

T: Tastes a bit sweet with a strong hop pressence to balance it. With almost no aftertaste.

M: Not too bubbly at all, perfect.

D: Goes down smooth, finishes clean, fantastic.

I would reccomend this to anyone especially guiness fans. God it's so drinkable! Adios

4.47/5  rDev +28.4%

Served at between fridge and cellar temperature in a Stella glass. Paired with grilled salmon for dinner.

Appearance- Pours the traditional color for this style... burnt red with a hint of brown, supporting a sudsy two finger head. Fantastic retention, and wide rings of lacing drape the interior of the glass.

Smell- Starting with the water, the foundation of brisk, clean ingredients is laid. Wonderful bright, lightly roasted malts tease the nose with a bready, delightful aroma. There's a perfumy sweetness that adds another layer to appreciate and savor.

Taste- Wow, very nice! As with the smell, there's plenty to enjoy here. Malty and biscuity, the crisp flavors melt on the tongue and concede to a drying bitterness. The aftertaste is a summary of all of the above, with no flaws.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Slick and substantially effervescent, with enough action to lift food off the palate and accentuate the terrific balance of all ingredients. It never gets dull, and the beer only gets better as it comes to temperature. A totally unexpected winner for me, and it's available everywhere.

4.47/5  rDev +28.4%

The beer was served in a pint glass.

A - Amber/Light Brown color and almost perfectly clear. A nice 2 finger white head with great retention and lacing.

S - The aroma is that of sweet malt character. Some bread and biscuit tones as well.

T/M - The beer starts with the sweet malt character and develops into a well balanced beer with nice toasted malt to even out the sweetness, mild hop bitterness. The beer finishes very smooth and creamy. Good carbonation and light to medium bodied.

D - Extremely.

Reviewed on: 02-28-2011 14:29:04

4.43/5  rDev +27.3%

This is my favorite Irish pub ale. I first had it on tap at a pub in Long Beach. Since then I have found a few places with it on tap In CA and AZ. The bottle serving is the closest thing I've found to store-bought six-pack bliss.

A= translucent amber
S= nothing objectionable
T= Mmmm. Not complex, but better than all the sixies on the supermarket shelf.
M= Very carbonated, but what do you expect. After taste is pleasant.
D= Very easy to drink and without compromise.

4.42/5  rDev +27%

A- Dark brown color, great head retention, lacing is beautiful.
S- Sweet, malty backbone with a hint of piney, earthy hops.
T- Crisp and refreshing. For such a dark colored beer I was expecting to taste something with a bit heavier body. From the nose I thought I was going to taste some hoppy and bitter finish. I am surprised and happy to say that I received neither.
M-Light body to Medium light.
O- Best Irish Ale I have had according to the style guidelines. This is everything an Irish red should be. I'll take 6, thank you.

Container Volume: 335ml

Container type: Bottle

Head: Slight

Lace: Good

Reflected- Red
Transmitted- RubyRed

Aroma: Good

Mouthfeel: Medium

Palate: adjusts well

Comments: Sharp and crisp taste! Slightly too much carbonation taste for me (freshness of sample is in question). Medium body and mouthfeel. Better than I expected. Hint of Sweet-Black-Cherries.

Mowing/Working on car- n
With Friends- y
Sipping- y
Get my buzz on- y

4.4/5  rDev +26.4%

I've had this beer many times before today, but today I reviewed it...

It's St. Patty's Day season so I bought a six pack of Smithwick's at the supermarket (that's what my wife gets for asking, "can you go out and get milk and eggs?"). ps> I got an Irish Soda Bread too!

Smithwick's pours a very nice dark reddish brown with good lacing (I pour slow to avoid "head")

Smithwick's smells good, sweet roasted malts.

IMO this beer tastes very good for the style and price.

it goes down easy and has a pleasant aftertaste.

I can (and have!) drink a lot of this beer, great for St. Patty's Day parties and celebrations. Makes a great Black & Tan when poured very slowly (over a spoon) on top of a half pint of Guinness Extra Stout... an Irish Classic

Erin Go Drinking!

4.4/5  rDev +26.4%

Smithwicks is probably one of my favorite beers to have at any time of day. When poured out of a tap there was 1 inch of head at the top. The color was magestic dark brown with a red tint. The flavor is pretty good although slightly bitter at the end of a sip. It is easily drinkable but only if you drink one at a time. It's not very good to drink with other beers. It does have an almoundy taste with a kind of toffee flavor. It is pretty exceptional overall and I highly recommend it. I will always have a Smithwicks whenever I feel like having a cold brew.

4.38/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a chestnut color with a large egg shell colored head thatholds well with excellent lacing. earthy, musty, slighty spice aromas. taste is same with nice hop balance. mouthfeel is light, crisp, lots of carbonation. good session beer for any time of the year. also think it would do well with most types of food.

4.37/5  rDev +25.6%

A nice alternative to Killians or other Irish Reds. Slightly hazy reddish in color. Thin head with very little lacing present. Nice taste, slightly fuller than Killians. Excellent drinkability, goes down smoothly and very quickly was ready for another. No overpowering after taste. Definitely would drink again.

Smithwick's Imported Premium Irish Ale from Guinness Ltd.