Smithwick's Imported Premium Irish Ale - Guinness Ltd.

Smithwick's Imported Premium Irish AleSmithwick's Imported Premium Irish Ale

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Red Ale |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 04-01-2006)
3.78/5  rDev +9.6%

No complaints here, oh Danny boy. Pretty yummy stuff. Nice crystal malt flavour, caramel of course, light hoppy finish. Wouldn't say robust, but not timid either. Doesn't taste macro-ish. Sessionable, especially with the meat & pototoes crowd. Come back to Erin, my boy!

Jaxxon61, Nov 06, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +28.4%

Smithwicks is probably one of my favorite beers to have at any time of day. When poured out of a tap there was 1 inch of head at the top. The color was magestic dark brown with a red tint. The flavor is pretty good although slightly bitter at the end of a sip. It is easily drinkable but only if you drink one at a time. It's not very good to drink with other beers. It does have an almoundy taste with a kind of toffee flavor. It is pretty exceptional overall and I highly recommend it. I will always have a Smithwicks whenever I feel like having a cold brew.

bastardface, Oct 31, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +11%

Poured into regular pint glass.

A - Poured clear amber brown color with medium head that quickly dissipated leaving almost no lacing around the glass.

S - A little disappointing since this beer has almost no scent. What's there is just a small hint of maltness and that's it.

T - What it lacked in smell it got in taste. Malts upfront with slight sweetness and a slightly bitter dry finish.

M - Light bodied with average carbonation and slight metallic aftertaste.

D - Average but I would not recommend it.

taigor, Oct 31, 2010
3.55/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a deep brown black color with ruby hues and a thick tan head that sticks around awhile and some decent lacing. Smells of coffee, chocolate, and roasted barley with some hints of smoke. Tastes of coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and roasted barley and maybe some wheat. Mouthfeel is very nice with a thick medium body. Drinkability is decent.

TheKingofWichita, Oct 28, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +9.6%

This beer looks like a root beer float in my mug. Big (three plus fingers) whip cream like head of light brown bubbles over a dark body of beer. The beer color is dark brown, rating a 30 on the SRM chart. Smells like I want to drink it before I get a good smell. I can smell dark chocolate, coffee bean, wheat, some spices, and roasted wheat. Flavors are coffee, cocoa, raisins, lime, wheat, barley, and hops in a nicely balanced brew. Velvet in my mouth, need a little less zing. I have had this ale before and like it bunches. Oh yes I will drink this again. Very flavorful, yet not too heavy. Good buzz factor, but sets well in my tummy and no bad morning after.

beerprovedwright, Oct 27, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +13%

One of my favorite standbys. Great session beer. Very drinkable.

Nice rich brown coloring with reddish hues. Nice white head with decent lacing.

Smell is nothing exceptional, mild roasted malt. Little bread.

Taste is very smooth and creamy. Nice malty flavor. A little hint of hops at the finish. some nuts and grains. Very Tasty.

One of my favorite session beers.

BillyBob78, Oct 27, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -5.8%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a moderate darkened amber color with a bit of an off white head. The nose brings forward a bit of roasted and toasted malt as well as some slight hop characteristics. The taste is quite bready with some roast and a bit of hops. Moderate feel with good carbonation. Drinks fairly well and is a decent alternative at some bars, but nothing I'd really come back to.

Thorpe429, Oct 25, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -7.2%

This beer has been hanging around in the back of the fridge for about a month now. It was left over from a cookout, but my BOTM shipment for the month has not arrived yet and I'm thirsty.

The beer pours a very dark amber color and had a substantial off white head. (Not my greatest pour ever.) It took a while for the head to dissipate. There is very little carbination.

The aroma is nothing but malt with a hint of hops. It does have a bit of a bite which lets you know it is an ale. Smells like an old wooden bar that has had its share of beer spilled on it.

The maltiness is present as soon as the beer hits the tongue.

The flavor remains the same in the middle, and it goes down smooth and easy.

The only complexity is at the end of the taste. The beer goes from oaky to smokey as it evaporates on the tongue.

Overall, this is a decent beer. It doesn't pretend to be anything that it isn't. It would be very low down on the list of ales that I would search out, but I would say that about most Irish Ales that I have had.

KonigObHops, Oct 15, 2010
2.15/5  rDev -37.7%

Looking back at a beer that I used to consider my favorite. This time around I couldn't even finish the glass I was so disappointed... luckily the damn thing was free.

Nice dark color, a sort of watery coffee ground brown. Small head on it.

Smelled half of roasted malts and half of a macro lager.

I used to think this was such a complex, flavorful, and rich beer. Years later I discover that I tastes like a blend of Guinness Draught and Harp. Not very appealing at all.

Mouthfeel is thin and creamy, barely carbonated at all.

This beer drinks easily if you like it, but i have to mark it low because I couldn't stomach a pint of it.

Time changes a lot of things. I still have a ton of respect for this beer as one of the gateways into craft and import goodness for me. But, unless it's free again, I don't see myself ever ordering one outside of some need to experience nostalgia in my olden days far from now...

Spider889, Oct 12, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +2.3%

Bright clear caramelized copper. Smooth offwhite cap. Decent retention. Some organic lacing.

Rich caramel. Toasty. Bit of Herbal with slight citrus.

Rich caramelized, toasty bread. some herbal and citrus. Nice rounding bitterness.

Smooth and rich, Med body. Moderate carbonation. Some drying.

Great drinkability. A tasty Irish Red, solid enough. Dont get it that often, but always enjoy it when i have it.

CHILLINDYLAN, Oct 11, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +9.6%

Look: This beer pours a nice amber-brown color with a very light head. Sticks to the sides of the mug nicely.

Smell: I mostly smell malt and hops. Nothing else comes to mind with the smell.

Taste: I instantly taste this beer on the back of my tongue. A pleasant fruity, with almost a nutty finish.

I find this beer to be very drinkable and smooth; before you know it, the glass is empty. An above average beer to enjoy with any occasion. A downside to the beer is that it's not as complex tasting as other beers out there.

HuppMJH, Oct 11, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +11.6%

Color is reddish brown colour with light tan head and decent lacing. The head stuck around for 5 minutes or so before it was gone.

Smell was a little sharp, can smell roasted malt.
Taste of malt with some dark grains, hops in the finish

Carbonation was a bit strong. Mouthfeel was tingly from the carbonation and a creamy feel.

This beer is highly drinkable, easily could have a couple of these in one sitting. Good beer to keep in the fridge for friends poping in.

beyah, Oct 09, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -4.9%

A: Pours a rich mahogany color with ruby tones. Rocky off-white head that fades slowly and leaves clumpy lacing on the glass.

S: Light roasted malt aroma. Hints of toasted bread and carmel. Very faint.

T: Roasted malt. Sweet carmel with hints of nuts and brown bread. Light underlying smokiness as well. Very faint hops as it finishes. Fairly mild flavor for the style.

M: Very thin and overly carbonated. Has the same texture as tonic water or club soda.

D: Overall this is decent yet uninspiring ale. It's quaffable, but mostly because of its relative blandness.

JMD, Sep 28, 2010
3.5/5  rDev +1.4%

12oz. bottle, chilled.

Pours a dark red-brown, has a nice two-finger head, low carbonation. Malty, slightly sweet aroma. Has a slightly bitter, dry finish, different from other Irish Reds I've tried. Mouthfeel was thinner than I expected. I thought the aroma was a bit off, something about it was strange.

Like pretty much all Guinness beers, it's a macro at heart, but is still decent, highly drinkable.

Sudsy89, Sep 27, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +18.3%

S- Served from a chilled 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- Dark brown color with about a fingers worth of white tan head.

S- Malted smell, good dark ale.

T- Roasted ale taste, nice strong aftertaste finish.

M- Moderately carbonated, excellent retention.

D- Not a beginners beer. Somewhat thinker then the ordinary beer, its made by Guinness which has a reputation for its beers to be on the thicker side.

HUXC, Sep 16, 2010
3.03/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams Boston Lager glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark amber color. Has a large, foamy, white head that dissipates slowly and leaves spotty lacing.

Smell: Smells malty and a little nutty with hints of caramel.

Taste: Starts slightly bitter. Develops a strong malty flavor with toasty, nutty, and caramel notes. Has a bit of a metallic edge to it as well, unfortunately.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a bit of a carbonation bite.

Drinkability: A decent, unassuming ale. While certainly not the best out there, you could do a whole lot worse.

wahhmaster, Sep 16, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +40%

Every person has their own taste. This is the absolute best beer I have ever had. The color was a darkish brown red with a perfect cream color head. The taste and flavor of this beer far exceeded what I expected and left me wanting more. It was a heavy beer to me which is my style but may not be agreed upon my others. Overall perfection here in my book. I wouldnt change a thing, but thats all just opinion.

tjsmith910, Sep 16, 2010
3.5/5  rDev +1.4%

Served in a shaker pint glass at Finn McCool's.

Another Quizzo beer. We came in second this week (couldn't repeat, dammit...). It pours a darkish amber-copper topped by finger or so of ecru micro-foam. The nose comprises orange peel, light caramel, and light flowers. The taste is nearly identical to the smell, though ever-so-slightly caramelier. Not by much, though. The body is a light medium, with a light carbonation and a fairly dry finish. Overall, a nice brew (I've been drinkin' 'em for years, now), nothing overtly special and nothing very emblematic of Irish reds in general, but a tasty- and drinkable-enough brew to enjoy while rockin' fools at pub trivia.

TMoney2591, Sep 16, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +5.2%

Deep brownish-red color with a pleasent off-white head that reduces to a healthy cap. Sweet, light, toasted, malt aroma with a hint of fruit. Light bodied with low carboation. Nice toasted malt taste with with very light fruit flavor with a dry, toasted malt finish. Easy to drink.

IronLover, Sep 10, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -0.6%

A: Clean tan color, huge frothy white head with great retention.

S: Big malty base with a very muted hop finish.

T: Very clean up front, dark malt in the middle and finish. No hops to be heard from.

M: Thin, under-carbonated.

O: OK brew, better than your average macro.

bundy462, Sep 07, 2010
3.05/5  rDev -11.6%

A- nice head, some lace lingers, not much nose, good inviting mahogany color. Looks grrat, not sure it its too carbonated. Not sparkly, but a bit fizzy. Mostly malt hints, maybe some fruit, not floral. Nice but not much
Mouth - a bit thin, somewhat watery, disappointing given the 'from Guiness' on the label which compelled my purchase. Fair malt, maybe some grain. Bitterness is not exciting. Watery again. A little hop finish.

Overall I was disappointed. Frankly, a big gulp, bolus to the gullett is best. I'll have a few more and see.

Ybsnroh, Sep 07, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -4.9%

A: This one is as expect a brown creamy body but light brown when against light with a light brown head that leaves a layer over the liquid.

S: Medium toasted malty aroma some hops and some barley can be sensed but it is faint.

T: Toasted malty with some bitterness in the middle, hops are present at the end Ireland - English tradition in bitterness.

M: Even at the beginning it is refreshing the felling change fast to a bitter intense not very cool.

karait95, Sep 02, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +12.5%

Aroma is malty, with toffee and a bit of creaminess coming through.

Taste is of smooth maltiness....toffee, cream, and just a touch roasted malts coming through. There's a smattering of hop bitterness on the backend, but it is pretty minor. A little bit of breadiness is also apparent on the finish. Pretty dry on the end with roasted maltiness. Carbonation low to medium.

This isn't a bad beer. I haven't had many beers in this style before, but this could make me seek out more.

NODAK, Aug 30, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +8.7%

On tap at a pub in Kingston, Ont.

A: Served a deep amber color with a nice off white head that fades to decent lacing.

S: Light clean aroma with a hint of caramel & grain.

T: Light caramel & malt taste with a bit of sweetness. Has a nice mild bitter finish.

F: Medium body, light creamy texture that is smooth and goes down easy.

D: Good choice went at the pub or any place really.

soju6, Aug 18, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -6.4%

Anything that comes from the Guinness brewery must be good quality. This is a very dark beer with a lot of foamy head and minimal carbonation. IT smells sweeter than a normal beer of this type and tastes the same. I love this beer and hope to have it many more times in my life.

Cheers!

smithza9, Aug 17, 2010
Smithwick's Imported Premium Irish Ale from Guinness Ltd.