Smithwick's Imported Premium Irish Ale - Guinness Ltd.

Smithwick's Imported Premium Irish AleSmithwick's Imported Premium Irish Ale

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Red Ale |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 04-01-2006)
3.65/5  rDev +5.8%

Nice amber color with some head noticed and good lacing to boot. A malty smell in toe. Bitter in taste, sweet if you will. Gulp factor is on the high level. Medium bodied makes for easy sipping and a sweet pleasant withdraw of the malt is the star of this beer. A very drinkable brew that I will be returning to when available. This one caught me off guard, wish it were more hoppy, but you have to respect the style of the land. I recommend over Guinness any day of the week, cheers!

BuffaloTapHugger, Feb 23, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +16.8%

This is a nice all around brew, very light in body to the mouth but also creamy. The head never quits right down to the bottom. Very drinkable and with a low but fizzy carb. Yeasty aroma and only a hint of bitterness from its low level of hoppiness. Some tinny aftertaste that reminds me of Newcastle Brown Ale -- this is much like that but creamier and a bit sweeter. Recommended.

jkdrummer, Feb 20, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +42.9%

This is one of my favorite beers hands down.

The color is light brown and very clear. When poured it left a good 1.5" head that stuck around for quite a while and laced the glass nicely.

Smells great, like baked bread, somewhat malty, sweet.

Wonderful tasting beer. It has a very balanced taste roasty and malty and very comforting.

This beer is not too thick but also not too weak. It's got great carbonation and it's very smooth going down.

I could and have drank these all night long. No problem. In fact my picture is from Halloween three years ago where I was drinking pitchers of Smithwicks by myself. The wait to get a beer from the bar was half an hour long so when we got up there we would just order pitchers for ourselves and drink straight out of those. Needless to say it was a messy way to drink. But a fun one.

pphunkdelux, Feb 19, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured a fairly dark brown color with amber highlights. The light tan head did not last long at all. I got whiffs of caramel and sweet maltiness. Malt flavor dominates the taste also but the hops are there just enough. Nice and smooth. This was a good nacho coolant, nothing special but kinda enjoyable at the same time. Solid irish red.

kbnooshay, Feb 17, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A: Nice red color with a thick and creamy tan head. Thick in appearance.

S: Just enough malt and hops to provide balance.

T: A bit more bitter than I was expecting. It was very good, just thought the flavor would have been as balanced as the aroma. Still what you'd expect for an Irish red.

M: Light in carbonation, could use some more for crispness

D: Very drinkable beer. I think I prefer it on tap as opposed to the bottle.
The last time I had this, I made a "Blacksmith" with this and a nitro-can of Guinnesss Draught. Very good.

jlb307, Feb 15, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +8.7%

Appearance:
Formation of a creamy, tan head is excellent; I'm given ~3 fingers before I can even pour the whole bottle out. Retention and lacing are both excellent, as well. In terms of color, this is a very dark beer. Through the translucent copper-ish red I can see plenty of rising carbonation.

Smell:
"Roasted malt" seems to be the best way to describe what I smell. Its sharp, malty scent is quite apparent, though it finishes bitter when wafting deeply. There's a subtle sweetness and a hint of coffee, too.

Taste:
My first impression is of a VERY subtly sweet, roasted coffee bean; it's stronger than the smell would have you believe. I believe the sweetness might be caramel, though I'm not quite sure. Malt flavors dominate, though bitterness becomes apparent in the finish and aftertaste.

Mouthfeel:
I suppose this beer is of medium body. It's not as thick as you would figure given the texture and appearance of the head, but it's definately not watery. I guess it just seems kind of "neutral" on the tongue.

Drinkability:
This is a beer you can drink quickly if desired. Given the %ABV, I'd wager that some might call it a "session" beer. That's fine with me since it tastes pretty good, has decent alcohol content, and goes down smooth.

Summary:
As something from the Guinness/Diago family of beers, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I know it's likely to fall under that "macro"/"mass-produced" definition for some, but I actually think that this brew is quite good. It's similar to some stouts that I've had, but it's far easier to drink (if that's even a problem for you in the first place). I don't know if that was the intent of said brewer(s), but it's a good pick-up if you're looking for something "safe."

diabecktic, Feb 10, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -0.6%

had this one with jenny @ the willard

A: Not bad looking decent head.

S: Malty and good roasty aroma.

T: I remember liking this better back in the day. but it isnt bad maybe a bit metallic.

M: not too bad could use a bit more.

D: I had one and switched to a brown ale with a bit more flavor. but this beer is better and most and a good session beer as well.

baos, Feb 07, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +8.7%

It poured a nice dark amber/light brown color with plenty of white head. My sniffer was out of commission from a cold, sorry. It is rather smooth, has a bit of a caramel flavor very little bitterness, goes down good. This one is very enjoyable. I finally got a good one from the World Market International Pack.

DesMoinesMike, Feb 06, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. bottle.

The pour is an amber colour with a decent white head. Retention and lacing are nice.

Toffee, grains and a bit of coffee make up the nose. The taste is very sweet, with the toffee and some fruity flavours. After the initial sweetness comes a toasted malt flavour, and the finish brings bitterness and dryness.

Mouthfeel is light-medium bodied with a bit less carbonation than I would have liked. Drinkability is on the high side of decent; I could go for another.

It's an average example of the style, and it's worth a revisit every now and then.

CityBoy1986, Feb 06, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +33.3%

Enjoyed on a Monday evening after work (01-19-09) with a group of friends.

A: Dark & clear. Red & brown with some carbonation. Little lacing. The head was small.

S: Malt & hops. A tad sour, as it should be.

T: Earthy, roasted malt. A dry & bitter, slighty hop finish.

M: Light body. Crisp, but carby.

D: I'm almost always excited to find Smithwick's on tap & will default to it unless there is a craft on tap I either like or haven't tried.

Ahh, Schmidt-icks...my old friend.

ILikeGoodCider, Feb 02, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +14.5%

A pint at the local Irish Pub.

This widely available ale saved me from the tyranny of the Irish Dry Stouts when I toured Ireland a few years ago. I was familiar with the bottled version available at home, but not particularly impressed by it. On draft, Smithwick's was, and is, a whole different story.

This beer arrives to the table a dark-ish amber hue, perfectly clear, with an ambitious finger or two of puffy, soapy white head, which leaves a nice webbed pattern of lace around the glass as it slowly seeps away.

It smells slightly of grainy malt, and a bit of earthy, leafy hops. The taste has a fairly sizable bit of floral hops, and slightly sweet grainy malt - simple, and verily workable.

The body has got some decent weight, the carbonation is very low, helping this to be a very smooth pub draft, and it finishes off-dry.

This is a stellar session ale, one I will continue to enjoy when in UK/Irish-theme pub land. It's also amusing/confounding to ask for this at the typical locations, in the manner in which the Irish pronounce it, and getting blank stares.

biboergosum, Feb 02, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -2%

Pours a clear garnet color with a thick off-white large bubbled head. Surprisingly nice staying power and lacing. A nice looking brew.

Roasty malts, weak coffee and a bit of sulfur in the nose. Not exactly a great sniffer here.

Fairly watery roasted and toasted malt flavor profile. Overly carbonated and lager-esqe mouthfeel. It is actually pretty unoffensive and has just enough flavor to keep it somewhat interesting. A decent Irish poundable beer. Pint after pint is easily attainable with Smithy's...not bad at all.

twiggamortis420, Jan 31, 2009
3.68/5  rDev +6.7%

appearance- Dark red to light brown in color, two finger head that comes down eventually to a thin layer of foam, fairly good lacing is visible.

smell- caramel comes to the nose first, with light hops and a touch of malt in the background.

taste- caramel sweet taste, with a hint of dark fruits. all in all there was really a lack of flavor, but the flavor that was there was good.

mouthfeel- perhaps a bit to thin. i would say it's a bit below a medium bodied beer.

drinkability- very drinkable and is a session beer.

notes: the real weak spots in this beer are the lack of flavor and mouthfeel. otherwise it really isn't all that bad, but nothing special.

heath1agnew, Jan 31, 2009
3.53/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured a 440-ml can into a pub ale pint glass.

Appearance - dark amber with very good lacing and a thin frothy head.

Smell - fresh veggies and heavy malt meet.

Taste - deep roasted flavours of malted grains. Has a floral quality in the finish.

Mouthfeel - heavy with a strong, pleasing aftertaste.

Drinkability - good character, willing to have a few of these.

DoctorStrangiato, Jan 29, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +13%

Well I ordered this one as it was about as crazy as it got on the beer list, including in bottles. I was pleasantly surprised.

The appearance was the weakest part. Not a great head, lacing was decent but nothing spectacular. Was almost a brown with a hint of red.

Smelled good, malty tones with some faint aromas from hops.

Was incredibly smooth. Hops were minimal as per style, more aroma hops than acidic hops. Was an above average and way above expectations flavor.

Was a little light bodied but carbonation was perfect. Drinkability was higher and i was surprised to find myself wanting another, I even recomended it to another at the table.

Baileyuk, Jan 29, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +18.3%

Smithwicks pours to a rich amber, almost copper color. The brew is very clear and there is a decent level of carbonation. There is a nice off white head formation around ¾ of an inch that sticks around for a while. You also get a nice white lacing around the glass.

The aroma brings malt and some earthy grains. There is also a subtle sweetness in the nose, maybe caramel? The overall aroma is very mild.

The taste of Smithwicks is somewhat sweet up front. Throughout the middle I can taste the toasted almost burnt malt. It definitely has a grain background reminiscent of bread or wheat. You get a slight hoppy bitterness in the end which balances well with the malt. Smithwicks is a medium-bodied brew which is easy to drink and finished smooth.

CMW, Jan 27, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +11.6%

Smithwick's poured a dark amber, almost brown, with a very nice tan head. The smell was of light caramel and faint hops. Taste was very nice with hints of caramel, brown sugar, and slight hoppy citrus bight. Mouthfeel was ok, maybe a little less carbonation would be nice. Drinkability was nice. Goes down well, and could easily put down a few of these a night with no problem. Overall I enjoy this beer very much. It one that I can always go to and enjoy. It might not be the most complex beer, but it is nice. This is a favorite of mine, sure I have had better beers, but this is a beer I keep going back to.

nickynick, Jan 26, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +5.2%

I had this on-tap at Flip and Bailey's in Rosemont, Pa where it came in a pint glass.
Appearance: The body is a deep amber color topped with a light tan but big head that has good retention and lacing.
Smell: The aroma consists of roasted earthy hops.
Taste: The most noticeable flavor is roasted nuts.
Mouthfeel: This is a very crisp beer.
Drinkability: I really enjoy this ale as it is light but not absent of flavors.
Don't drink and review.

treehugger02010, Jan 26, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -14.5%

Checking out the inauguration on the TV in a bar near work, I was faced with limited choices. Decided to try this on-tap.

A: Dark clear reddish brown with visible carbonation. Small fizzy white head that retained a thin head throughout. Some spotty lacing.

S: Sourness that was a mix of malt and hops.

T: Earthy, roasted malt. A hint of sweetness. The telltale dry bitter hop finish. At times the finish and aftertaste seemed watery to me.

M: Very light body. Crisp but fizzy.

D: I guess it is drinkable in the sense that you could knock them back if you wanted to . I didn't find it enjoyable (I switched drinks) and I wouldn't go out of my way to have another. It was a monotone and diluted experience for me.

sgoodship, Jan 21, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -2%

Pours a clear brown color with a sudsy off-white head that became rocky as it slowly settled into a puffy cap. The aroma is light, some caramel malt and mineral water. Light toffee flavors are forefront, honey, and mineral water, kind of heavy on the mineral water. The feel is light, watery and quite fizzy, finishes slightly dry. An average brew, some light flavor mixed with fizzy mineral water. Easy to swill.

Gmann, Jan 17, 2009
3.58/5  rDev +3.8%

Copper and orange. nice two finger head with generous amounts of lacing. smell is slightly skunky - maybe the types of hops, not that the beer is spoiled. there is a smell of caramel. the skunky kind of smell seems to have toned down since i let the beer settle out a bit. taste is malty, with some fruitiness towards the end. some notes of caramel. beer is pretty smooth, and has a good mouthfeel. slightly creamy, but with plenty of carbonation.

jpaltan, Jan 11, 2009
3.55/5  rDev +2.9%

A= pours a coppery red color with a small amount of lacing and head
S= small hops and yeasty. A little carmel malt
T= yeasty and grainy. Not bad but nothing to really note on
M= chewy I think
D= pretty high. Not much flavor or anything interesting going on here ut its not too bad

jjanega08, Jan 11, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -9.3%

I'm Irish, and the Irish are supposed to be know for their ales - there just don't seem to be many beers of irish origin available.

Since there are not many to compare this to I can't say if it is typical of the style. Frankly, it seemed a little thin and weak - certainly nothing special. No hoppiness apparent. Tastes too sweet. The body and flavor suggests this beer is not all-malt.

While not bad, I can't endorse such a bland, unremarkable product.

DukeofAle, Jan 10, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours a nice copper color with a small white head. The nose is of caramel, toffee, and a faint hint of hops. It has decent lacing. The flavor is rather bland. Just a touch of hops, mostly malty and biscuitty. The after taste at first is somewhat harsh and lingering. As it warms a licorice flavor emerges and the overall taste improves. The mouthfeel is thin and lightly carbonated.

Overall this beer is decent at best. The best part was the lacing, which was not even that outstanding. I have had this on tap and it was much, much better.

thegodfather2701, Jan 08, 2009
3.55/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance: beautiful dark maroon with a huge off white billowy lasting head. Some floaties. Bottle conditioned?

Smell: smells of fruity esters and malts. No hop aroma

Taste: malty but not overly fruity. Disappointing. Would like a more complex flavor here in this beautiful beer. Pretty average.

Mouthfeel: nice body. Heavy. Fits style. Syrupy

Drinkability: easily drinkable due to the non-intense flavor.

Squelch, Jan 02, 2009
Smithwick's Imported Premium Irish Ale from Guinness Ltd.