Guinness Draught Extra Cold - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Draught  Extra ColdGuinness Draught  Extra Cold

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 01-15-2007

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
1.56/5  rDev -53.8%

This was terrible. The appearance was slightly intriguing as it had that dark stout look to it but that was very deceiving. The smell was coffee-esque at best. The taste was like a watered down Samuel Adams Cream Stout. The mouthfeel was worst of all, it went down like bad water and the only reason that it has a 2.0 on drinkability is because you can chug these and feel nothing.

I had to throw a shot of rum in 6oz and drop a shot of Godiva Chocolate Liqueur in to get ANY taste from this. Terrible beer and I'm ashamed it has such a high rating on here.

EDIT - Sorry, I didn't even feel like giving this a real review. Go get a real beer. (644 characters)

1.62/5  rDev -52.1%

Bought this for St. Patrick's Day just like almost everyone else did.

A: Looks awesome in a glass as a purely opaque beer with an awesome head that follows your progession down the glass.

S: Smells like water with a little weak coffee mixed in there. Some hoppy notes are present as well.

T: I drank one of the bottle for this review because that's what you should do according to Guinness. It tastes like someone filled my bottle with water then added really weak coffee. It was alright at first but the more I drank of it the worse it was.

D: Maybe one is doable but I'm now regretting opening a second and can't wait to get it finished.

Overall: Very dissapointed I bought a six pack and am thinking of giving the rest away. Don't waste your money on this beer. (770 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -49.1%

Ok, I bought this beer from the grocery store where i shop. I have been wanting to try it for a while but havent because of the $8 six pack price. I did what it said drink, very cold out of the bottle.

Appearance:Dark, Rich cola color always a plus.
Smell: Has an earthy aroma
Taste: Bitter as if you soaked an oak log for a month and drank it.
Mouthfeel: Absolutely flat, no carbonation at all.
Drinkability: I guess you have to be European to enjoy this. I will never buy this again. (487 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -47.9%

I got a six pack of the nitro-bottles. I drank one straight from the bottle as directed by the labeling on the bottle. The smell was insignificant. Taste was pretty much nothing. Slight coffee taste. Honestly, it tasted like really watery cold coffee.

I also poured one into a glass. The Guiness visuals were of course amazing. Other than that... smell and taste were minimal. I can't believe I wasted beer money on these. The other 4 might be sink pours... (458 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -46.4%

A - Poured a basically black color with a tan head that leaves lacing

S - This beer has a weird malt smell

T - Well theres a weird malt taste thats not so good

M - This one has light carbonation and feels watery

D - This is a very disappointing example of Guinness this is probably the reason why people think dark beer is shitty (334 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -45.6%

This is all over the UK. During my travels in Scotland and England this last year this was on at every bar along side the regular Guinness Draught, and I was able to write a few notes down.

A: Pours dark brown, not really black and with plenty of reddish highlights towards the middle. I can't believe people actually think this is pitch black. A two finger tan head forms from the nitro pour. Some lace as well.
S: Some malt, lots of sourness, and mold bread.
T: Pretty much just cereal grain, and soggy bread. That distinct Guinness sourness as well.
M/D: Dead, thin, and lifeless. Just really week. Something I will drink only when my options are this, Tennent's, and God forbid Tennent's Extra Cold while out and about in the UK.

A really crappy stout to say the least. Hugely popular in the UK though. Maybe even more so than the regular Guinness Draught from what I could tell. All marketing and nothing else. Avoid. (924 characters)

1.87/5  rDev -44.7%

A - Pours a medium brown, mud-ish type color. However, when the drink has taken a moment to settle, it develops into an attractive black body with a 1/2 inch cream-colored head. A very nice looking drink.

S - Has a malty smell with a coffee- or espresso-like fragrance to it. There's also a hint of nut as well.

T - After the first sip, it leaves a light aftertaste of coffee and a little chocolate. About halfway through the bottle, the aftertaste becomes unpleasant, but the taste of the beer moreso. Once it begins to get the slightest bit warm, it starts to taste like extremely diluted espresso. Sadly, the most flavorful part of this drink is the foam, which you can really only get to by finishing a glass and having the liquid displace it. Unless you want to take a spoon and scoop it out.

M - Personally, I feel that this beer fools you into thinking you will be feeling something very thick and full going down your throat. However, it actually feels like you are drinking a glass of water with 2 ounces of milk mixed into it (there's a tiny hint of "thickness," but its water-like consistency exponentially outweighs this, thus the thickness is almost non-existent). It's weak and definitely tricks your mind with its appearance.

D - I drank one each day, for three consecutive days, twice from the bottle and once from a glass. I then had to wait three more days to actually stomach drinking another one. When drinking from a bottle, the drink becomes almost unbearable once you get down to the last few sips, since by that time it has lost its "Extra Cold." When drinking from a glass, I am able to take bigger gulps, which means it will be cold for most of the drinking period. I'd recommend drinking it from a glass and not out of the nitro-bottle. I'd also recommend drinking it after your meal, and not before or during it. Drink it before, and you'll ruin your appetite. Drink it during, and you'll ruin your meal.

I used to dream of drinking Guinness as a kid because of how nice it looked when poured. Now I dream of not drinking it again (the Draught, at least) after being severely displeased with its taste. (2,136 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -41.1%

Appearance: Poured out of an 11.2 oz. bottle into a nonic glass. The plastic label tells me to "serve extra cold" and to "drink straight from the bottle", but I don't take orders from bottles. This beer pours an opaque dark brown color, but when held up to a light the beer appears a dark, ruby red color that supports the old saying that "there's a ruby in every glass". The nitro-bottle gives the head the usual cascade effect and produces a swirling storm inside the glass that eventually rises to a soft, pillowy, and very creamy looking beige colored head about one-and-a-half fingers in height. The head sticks around for an absolute eternity, and never really dissipates, just stays a thin layer of foam on top of the beer.

Smell: This is a very clean and non-descript nose for a stout, which is disappointing. It takes me quite a while to smell anything from this beer, but I am finally struck by the very faint aromas of chocolate and black roasted malts, and surprisingly it also smells like Guinness used some wheat malt in this beer, so we'll see if it shows up again in the taste. Overall this is the most disappointing nose I've ever smelled for a stout, and it really makes me want to go shove my nose in a glass of Stone IRS or something.

Taste: Very little flavor in this one. In fact, just as in the aroma, I'm having a very hard time coming up with anything worth talking about here. This tastes like water with a few drops of chocolate syrup or an iced coffee with too much ice that has been sitting in the sun for too long, causing the ice to melt. There is absolutely no bitterness to speak of, and the only finish to this beer is a mild, cloying sweetness. This is a macro stout just like Budweiser is a macro lager. Both are watery beyond belief and don't even taste like beer.

Mouthfeel: My first thought about this beer is "my God it's watery". Does water have a mouthfeel? I didn't think so. This beer is so thin, so nonexistent on the tongue that it makes me angry to even drink.

Drinkability: That depends; do you want a glass of brown water or a beer? If you want a beer, the drinkability of this stuff is so low that it's hard to finish. If you want a glass of brown water, you can have the one I'm currently drinking out of because I'm not going to finish it. My first "drainpour" so far.

Notes: I have a very fond memory from my childhood of going out to eat with my grandfather when I was around fourteen. I had heard of Guinness, so I jumped at the opportunity to taste his. I remember it tasting very heavy, very rich, and very, very bitter. Drinking this beer now I find none of those qualities. This could be that I was so young and I had never really had beer before, or it could be that Guinness has decided to "dumb down" their product. Judging by some of the other reviews on this site it's the latter, and this is such a shame. Regardless, this is definitely a beer to avoid - unless you're a fan of watery, tasteless, "light stouts" that bring shame upon the name of beer. (3,021 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -37%

Black color. No oxidation. Flat body, very watery and tasteless or nearly so. Just a bit of roasted malt but then, really super discreet. Creamy touch unappetizing. Finish slightly bitter but with this industrial side well disgusting. Really not good at all. It seems clear that a cut Guinness Draught Classic with water. (321 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -34.3%

A - Dark with what starts out to be a full head but rapidly dwindles to about a 1 inch top. Little to no lacing when drinking.

S - Malty smell with a hint of chocolate and coffee.

T - Coffe taste with a malty feel. Neither pleasant nor unpleasant. It is what it is.

M - No bite whatsoever. In fact it feels like you have a mouthful of water

D - One could pour these down all day with little effect.

This is the Coors light of Guiness and not a very pleasant one to drink. It does have a nice bottle, though!

Serving type: bottle (534 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -34.3%

This review is for the pictured beer poured into a glass, against the "brilliant" marketers' wishes. Drunk out of the bottle, this is one of the worst beers around--that just doesn't work here. I don't know what they're thinking!

A gimmicky, weak beer. I like that it's easy to make black and tans, but that's about the extent of this invention's worth. Brilliant? No. Marketing is not brilliant, IMO. Good beer is brilliant, and this is not good beer. It is to beer what $7 merlot is to wine. This is "good beer" to people who don't know beer. Since such people are used to not tasting their beer, it's no wonder this is so well received. But it's a shame, because the Extra Stout is so good. It's amazing how much flavor they had to take out to make room for the plastic gimmick.

Do yourself a favor and try the Guinness Extra Stout, which is sold for about the same price. (877 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -31.1%

GLASS: Boddingtons Imperial Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Guinness is one of the world's most beautiful beers. The so dark that it's almost black liquid, with it's dark ruby highlights. The reverse cascade of the bubbles. The three finger creamy tan head.
This nitro bottle produces something which is similar to that, just not quite. Not nearly as dark. Not as much head. Just doesn't look as good.

Much like the nitro cans, this doesn't have alot of nose. Decent malty notes, with some coffee and chocolate scents.

How can Guinness even put their name on this product? Weak, weak, weak. Like a BMC made coffee stout. Really.

Weak and waterey.

Stay away from this one! (690 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -30.8%

Another from my dear mother. Thanks Mom.

A - Poured into a glass of its own bloodline. The nitrogen generated foam rises to leave a dark black body and a pale, off-white, one inch thick head.

S - Malt, malt and malt.

T - It starts out light and empty. It moved to a middle and finish of soft, open malt. There's an aftertaste of malt that has a hint of bitterness.

M- Watery texture throughout. The finish offers a hint of coarseness but really does nothing to assist with the lack of flavor.

~ While the nitrogen is supposed to add a nice creamy texture, I have never actually been a big fan. I think it masks the flavors dwelling within. I say pass on the Guinness Draught and go for a brew with some taste. (715 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -30.5%

I used to think this was what dark beer was all about, which is why I used to drink Miller Lite. I've grown up since then, and moved on to real beer. If you're on this site, you're probably only reading this b/c you agree with me. Guinness is just bland anymore, as far as stoudts go. (284 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -26.9%

Appearance is good considering the uniqueness of the nitro widget-gimmick thingy, but the head doesn't hold the same as, or even have the same color as a nice nitro-tap version... it's like they make different versions of this beer and call it the same thing.

Smell is mild coffee

Up-front the taste is unbalanced toward the sour end of things... not like it's luscious doppelganger that I've had on certain tapped occasions. Roasty/coffee hints, but it stops there. leaves a mildly pleasant dry-sour aftertaste

Mouthfeel is watery!

Drinkability - I could drink this all day if I wanted to, but then again, the same with Pabst. And just the same with Pabst, only if I were having a particularly poor and alcoholic week. (723 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Small capped bottle, with a widget.
Poured into a pint, the usual dark Guiness color, foamy tan head, thinner than expected, probably it is served too cold (as the bottle recommends...)
Aroma is midly roasted, some coffee, not very strong. Quite thin on the palate to my surprise, with the same roastiness but not a lot of complexity or depth.
Acceptable at best. Drinking from the bottle as recommended does not make it any better. (434 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -24.3%

Presentation: Pint Glass

A: A solid, black body poured smoothly from the bottle, leaving a finger thick, off-white head with minimal lacing.

S: Smells like it's going to be strong and thick to the taste. It is slightly hoppy with a barley overtone. It doesn't have a roasted smell.

T: This wasn't what I expected. It's a bit watery for a stout and none of the expected taste comes through. It's like a watery, barley-laced, flat soda.

M: Very watery and bland. It has the same feel throughout.

D: This is not my go-to stout. I expected more from the heavily advertised company and I just cannot see why people enjoy this. There are plenty of other better stouts out there. (677 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -24%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass last night, a friend brought over a bunch of these for my dad, color was nearly black, big 1 1/2 inch tan head that was pretty soapy with a pillowy backdrop, leaves some lace at first, decent retention, smell is quite weak with roasted barley, burned malts, and some light bready scents, taste is rather dry, leaves a bit of a coating in the finish, roasted malts and barley is pretty much all I pick up, mouthfeel is slightly chewy and roasty, medium to full bodied, too much carbonation, could drink two of these and that would probably be about it, a little lighter than the standard Guinness I am used to having, would probably go for that over this if I had the choice, do not see myself having more of this any time soon, might be worth trying (790 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -23.7%

Thanks to Mr. Russev for bringing from Europe. Coffee and sugar aroma. Opaque dark brown with off-white head. Noticeably thin mouthfeel, though creamy from the nitro. Like old coffee grounds bitterness. Horrid really. We know they can make a drinkable version. (260 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Nitro bottle purchased at Total Wine in Alexandria. Glad to have that zero taken out of my profile. Only one to go now. Served in a Hill Farmstead wine glass.

The pour is nearly a thing of beauty. The nitro pellet really does its job. Body is pitch black. The head is just barely off white and skies up a few fingers with good retention and quite a bit of lacing. Each swirl creates three layers--black up to a mix of brownish-black bubbles and then the white head. Really pretty. From there, downhill.

The nose brings some very light chocolate and roasted malt. It's hiding in the background. Some light toffee as well. The flavor is a bit unappetizing. There's too much toffee and not enough roast. The creaminess further enhances the toffee flavor. I think there's probably a touch of diacetyl in there, but not too much. Mild roast that really doesn't come through until the finish, which is too dry. Not a big fan of this one, other than looking at it. (959 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -22.5%

Black, tan head. Sticky lacing.

Burnt chocolate, toffee. Off putting however.

Watered down roasted chocolate. Cigarette ashes in water.

Very dense for the low Abv. Medium carbonation. Buttery thick mouthfeel.

Not the worst beer in the world, and quite sessionable, tis a pitty the beer has some off putting scents and generally is quite bland and watery. (358 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -20.4%

A - Looks the real thing, black as coal body and slightly off white head. The classic Guinness profile.

S - Take hold of glass to smell aromas, hold on! When they say extra cold they mean EXTRA COLD. Unpleasantly cold feels like a lager should be in the glass. Can smell the coffee aroma but it is supressed compared to regular Guinness.

T - Pretty much like the old Guinness but divided by quite some way. Bitter and smoky coffee taste but really too cold.

M - Smooth and COLD.

D - No thanks one is enough.

Can't see why anyone would want this in preference to standard Guinness. Probably sounded good to the marketing boys in the board room. Sorry guys, not for me. (682 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -20.1%

Guinness Draught is available in just about every serving type and has many variations. "Extra Cold" is it's bottled and "brought to the grocery store" variety that insists on a set of rules for maximum taste: serve extra cold (as per it's name), keep it in the bottle, and let the nitrogen flow evenly. To review the beer and follow these set regulations puts me at a disadvantage: I can't really shove my nose down the bottle to get a whiff, and since the entire bottle is covered with a sticker, I have no idea what it looks like. What I can do is compare it to previous experience with Guinness in it's other forms.

Guinness has a very interesting taste -- a heavy, mead-like taste and texture are there, but there is a watered-down feel to it (perhaps what makes it so liked). Extra Cold has much of the same, but it's very watery... very, very watered-down. You sort of have to search for the flavor to find it. The next problem is to keep nitrogen flowing, you have to really tilt the bottle... to a chugging degree. It seems to taste better this way than keeping the angle at a minimum. All of this makes the whole experience not enjoyable.

Instead, I'd opt up to the four-pack cans of Guinness. You can pour it into a glass, savor the aroma, and it's full flavor is there. Or best-yet, find it served properly at a local bar. This twelve-pack bottled variety, although convenient, is not the real Guinness taste that makes it the unofficial beer of St. Patty's Day. (1,476 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -19.2%

A: It is lighter in color than one would expect from a good stout beer. A decent head formed when poured into a pint glass, but, then again, it is a nitro beer. (The bottle actually suggests drinking straight from the bottle...)
S: I will not lie, my sense of smell is not that keen, but with my nose a half inch above the beer, I can't get more than a mere hint of the malts and hops.
T: Immediately, you taste the roasted malts like an iced frappuccino from Starbucks or something. There is very little bitterness and it tastes really thin and watery as if it would be better if everything about it was stronger.
M: It feels light and creamy and it goes down smooth for sure, but I'd wager that's because it doesn't pack much of a punch taste-wise. It's good that it's not over-carbonated, though.
D: I'm not nearly as excited to grab another one of these as I would be to grab an Extra Stout. I don't foresee myself buying another ounce of this beer unless I really don't have a choice.

This is not a bad beer, but it feels like it lacks in everything. The Guinness Extra Stout is a far superior beer to this, in my humble opinion. This simply tastes weak and watered-down in comparison. Frankly, I'm disappointed that I bought a whole 24 pack of this and I'm going to have to either pass it on to someone (who doesn't realize or care how much better the extra stout is) or I'll have to get rid of it some other way. The prospect of drinking this over the next couple weeks does not appeal to me in the slightest. (1,517 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -18.9%

I saw this one in the local supermarket, and it was cheaper than the usual cannned equivalent...so I gave it a try.

It looks nice...but a bit clear for a stout. Looks a bit Coke-ish as it pours, and it is usually darker. Topped with that nitro cream head.

Where's the smell?? I wonder if that nitro head locks the smell or something. Only a whiff of malts.

Beer is cold, you get tiny roasted flavors, which actually diminish as the beer warms up. A hint of hops. Wimpy bitterness from both.

This is the lightest "non-light" beer I've ever drunk. I really just can't believe how watery it is...

Well, it's not cool, but it's still better than the extra-metal, extra-watery light beers. Still, it's extremely weak for a stout. It makes me wonder if the tap version is better at the pubs... The only exciting thing about it is...breaking it once empty. Yep. Put it in a bag, smash it against the wall and take a look at that widget. (936 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Guinness Draught Extra Cold from Guinness Ltd.