Guinness Draught Extra Cold - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Draught  Extra ColdGuinness Draught  Extra Cold

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 01-15-2007)

1.25/5  rDev -64.8%

1.4/5  rDev -60.6%

1.5/5  rDev -57.7%

This was terrible. The appearance was slightly intriguing as it had that dark stout look to it but that was very deceiving. The smell was coffee-esque at best. The taste was like a watered down Samuel Adams Cream Stout. The mouthfeel was worst of all, it went down like bad water and the only reason that it has a 2.0 on drinkability is because you can chug these and feel nothing.

I had to throw a shot of rum in 6oz and drop a shot of Godiva Chocolate Liqueur in to get ANY taste from this. Terrible beer and I'm ashamed it has such a high rating on here.

EDIT - Sorry, I didn't even feel like giving this a real review. Go get a real beer.

1.55/5  rDev -56.3%

Bought this for St. Patrick's Day just like almost everyone else did.

A: Looks awesome in a glass as a purely opaque beer with an awesome head that follows your progession down the glass.

S: Smells like water with a little weak coffee mixed in there. Some hoppy notes are present as well.

T: I drank one of the bottle for this review because that's what you should do according to Guinness. It tastes like someone filled my bottle with water then added really weak coffee. It was alright at first but the more I drank of it the worse it was.

D: Maybe one is doable but I'm now regretting opening a second and can't wait to get it finished.

Overall: Very dissapointed I bought a six pack and am thinking of giving the rest away. Don't waste your money on this beer.

1.6/5  rDev -54.9%

Ok, I bought this beer from the grocery store where i shop. I have been wanting to try it for a while but havent because of the $8 six pack price. I did what it said drink, very cold out of the bottle.

Appearance:Dark, Rich cola color always a plus.
Smell: Has an earthy aroma
Taste: Bitter as if you soaked an oak log for a month and drank it.
Mouthfeel: Absolutely flat, no carbonation at all.
Drinkability: I guess you have to be European to enjoy this. I will never buy this again.

1.75/5  rDev -50.7%

I got a six pack of the nitro-bottles. I drank one straight from the bottle as directed by the labeling on the bottle. The smell was insignificant. Taste was pretty much nothing. Slight coffee taste. Honestly, it tasted like really watery cold coffee.

I also poured one into a glass. The Guiness visuals were of course amazing. Other than that... smell and taste were minimal. I can't believe I wasted beer money on these. The other 4 might be sink pours...

1.75/5  rDev -50.7%

A - Pours a medium brown, mud-ish type color. However, when the drink has taken a moment to settle, it develops into an attractive black body with a 1/2 inch cream-colored head. A very nice looking drink.

S - Has a malty smell with a coffee- or espresso-like fragrance to it. There's also a hint of nut as well.

T - After the first sip, it leaves a light aftertaste of coffee and a little chocolate. About halfway through the bottle, the aftertaste becomes unpleasant, but the taste of the beer moreso. Once it begins to get the slightest bit warm, it starts to taste like extremely diluted espresso. Sadly, the most flavorful part of this drink is the foam, which you can really only get to by finishing a glass and having the liquid displace it. Unless you want to take a spoon and scoop it out.

M - Personally, I feel that this beer fools you into thinking you will be feeling something very thick and full going down your throat. However, it actually feels like you are drinking a glass of water with 2 ounces of milk mixed into it (there's a tiny hint of "thickness," but its water-like consistency exponentially outweighs this, thus the thickness is almost non-existent). It's weak and definitely tricks your mind with its appearance.

D - I drank one each day, for three consecutive days, twice from the bottle and once from a glass. I then had to wait three more days to actually stomach drinking another one. When drinking from a bottle, the drink becomes almost unbearable once you get down to the last few sips, since by that time it has lost its "Extra Cold." When drinking from a glass, I am able to take bigger gulps, which means it will be cold for most of the drinking period. I'd recommend drinking it from a glass and not out of the nitro-bottle. I'd also recommend drinking it after your meal, and not before or during it. Drink it before, and you'll ruin your appetite. Drink it during, and you'll ruin your meal.

I used to dream of drinking Guinness as a kid because of how nice it looked when poured. Now I dream of not drinking it again (the Draught, at least) after being severely displeased with its taste.

1.78/5  rDev -49.9%

A - Poured a basically black color with a tan head that leaves lacing

S - This beer has a weird malt smell

T - Well theres a weird malt taste thats not so good

M - This one has light carbonation and feels watery

D - This is a very disappointing example of Guinness this is probably the reason why people think dark beer is shitty

1.85/5  rDev -47.9%

This is all over the UK. During my travels in Scotland and England this last year this was on at every bar along side the regular Guinness Draught, and I was able to write a few notes down.

A: Pours dark brown, not really black and with plenty of reddish highlights towards the middle. I can't believe people actually think this is pitch black. A two finger tan head forms from the nitro pour. Some lace as well.
S: Some malt, lots of sourness, and mold bread.
T: Pretty much just cereal grain, and soggy bread. That distinct Guinness sourness as well.
M/D: Dead, thin, and lifeless. Just really week. Something I will drink only when my options are this, Tennent's, and God forbid Tennent's Extra Cold while out and about in the UK.

A really crappy stout to say the least. Hugely popular in the UK though. Maybe even more so than the regular Guinness Draught from what I could tell. All marketing and nothing else. Avoid.

1.98/5  rDev -44.2%

Appearance: Poured out of an 11.2 oz. bottle into a nonic glass. The plastic label tells me to "serve extra cold" and to "drink straight from the bottle", but I don't take orders from bottles. This beer pours an opaque dark brown color, but when held up to a light the beer appears a dark, ruby red color that supports the old saying that "there's a ruby in every glass". The nitro-bottle gives the head the usual cascade effect and produces a swirling storm inside the glass that eventually rises to a soft, pillowy, and very creamy looking beige colored head about one-and-a-half fingers in height. The head sticks around for an absolute eternity, and never really dissipates, just stays a thin layer of foam on top of the beer.

Smell: This is a very clean and non-descript nose for a stout, which is disappointing. It takes me quite a while to smell anything from this beer, but I am finally struck by the very faint aromas of chocolate and black roasted malts, and surprisingly it also smells like Guinness used some wheat malt in this beer, so we'll see if it shows up again in the taste. Overall this is the most disappointing nose I've ever smelled for a stout, and it really makes me want to go shove my nose in a glass of Stone IRS or something.

Taste: Very little flavor in this one. In fact, just as in the aroma, I'm having a very hard time coming up with anything worth talking about here. This tastes like water with a few drops of chocolate syrup or an iced coffee with too much ice that has been sitting in the sun for too long, causing the ice to melt. There is absolutely no bitterness to speak of, and the only finish to this beer is a mild, cloying sweetness. This is a macro stout just like Budweiser is a macro lager. Both are watery beyond belief and don't even taste like beer.

Mouthfeel: My first thought about this beer is "my God it's watery". Does water have a mouthfeel? I didn't think so. This beer is so thin, so nonexistent on the tongue that it makes me angry to even drink.

Drinkability: That depends; do you want a glass of brown water or a beer? If you want a beer, the drinkability of this stuff is so low that it's hard to finish. If you want a glass of brown water, you can have the one I'm currently drinking out of because I'm not going to finish it. My first "drainpour" so far.

Notes: I have a very fond memory from my childhood of going out to eat with my grandfather when I was around fourteen. I had heard of Guinness, so I jumped at the opportunity to taste his. I remember it tasting very heavy, very rich, and very, very bitter. Drinking this beer now I find none of those qualities. This could be that I was so young and I had never really had beer before, or it could be that Guinness has decided to "dumb down" their product. Judging by some of the other reviews on this site it's the latter, and this is such a shame. Regardless, this is definitely a beer to avoid - unless you're a fan of watery, tasteless, "light stouts" that bring shame upon the name of beer.

2.13/5  rDev -40%

Black color. No oxidation. Flat body, very watery and tasteless or nearly so. Just a bit of roasted malt but then, really super discreet. Creamy touch unappetizing. Finish slightly bitter but with this industrial side well disgusting. Really not good at all. It seems clear that a cut Guinness Draught Classic with water.

2.2/5  rDev -38%

A - Dark with what starts out to be a full head but rapidly dwindles to about a 1 inch top. Little to no lacing when drinking.

S - Malty smell with a hint of chocolate and coffee.

T - Coffe taste with a malty feel. Neither pleasant nor unpleasant. It is what it is.

M - No bite whatsoever. In fact it feels like you have a mouthful of water

D - One could pour these down all day with little effect.

This is the Coors light of Guiness and not a very pleasant one to drink. It does have a nice bottle, though!

2.2/5  rDev -38%

This review is for the pictured beer poured into a glass, against the "brilliant" marketers' wishes. Drunk out of the bottle, this is one of the worst beers around--that just doesn't work here. I don't know what they're thinking!

A gimmicky, weak beer. I like that it's easy to make black and tans, but that's about the extent of this invention's worth. Brilliant? No. Marketing is not brilliant, IMO. Good beer is brilliant, and this is not good beer. It is to beer what $7 merlot is to wine. This is "good beer" to people who don't know beer. Since such people are used to not tasting their beer, it's no wonder this is so well received. But it's a shame, because the Extra Stout is so good. It's amazing how much flavor they had to take out to make room for the plastic gimmick.

Do yourself a favor and try the Guinness Extra Stout, which is sold for about the same price.

GLASS: Boddingtons Imperial Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Guinness is one of the world's most beautiful beers. The so dark that it's almost black liquid, with it's dark ruby highlights. The reverse cascade of the bubbles. The three finger creamy tan head.
This nitro bottle produces something which is similar to that, just not quite. Not nearly as dark. Not as much head. Just doesn't look as good.

Much like the nitro cans, this doesn't have alot of nose. Decent malty notes, with some coffee and chocolate scents.

How can Guinness even put their name on this product? Weak, weak, weak. Like a BMC made coffee stout. Really.

Weak and waterey.

Stay away from this one!

2.28/5  rDev -35.8%

Another from my dear mother. Thanks Mom.

A - Poured into a glass of its own bloodline. The nitrogen generated foam rises to leave a dark black body and a pale, off-white, one inch thick head.

S - Malt, malt and malt.

T - It starts out light and empty. It moved to a middle and finish of soft, open malt. There's an aftertaste of malt that has a hint of bitterness.

M- Watery texture throughout. The finish offers a hint of coarseness but really does nothing to assist with the lack of flavor.

~ While the nitrogen is supposed to add a nice creamy texture, I have never actually been a big fan. I think it masks the flavors dwelling within. I say pass on the Guinness Draught and go for a brew with some taste.

2.3/5  rDev -35.2%

I used to think this was what dark beer was all about, which is why I used to drink Miller Lite. I've grown up since then, and moved on to real beer. If you're on this site, you're probably only reading this b/c you agree with me. Guinness is just bland anymore, as far as stoudts go.

2.45/5  rDev -31%

Appearance is good considering the uniqueness of the nitro widget-gimmick thingy, but the head doesn't hold the same as, or even have the same color as a nice nitro-tap version... it's like they make different versions of this beer and call it the same thing.

Smell is mild coffee

Up-front the taste is unbalanced toward the sour end of things... not like it's luscious doppelganger that I've had on certain tapped occasions. Roasty/coffee hints, but it stops there. leaves a mildly pleasant dry-sour aftertaste

Mouthfeel is watery!

Drinkability - I could drink this all day if I wanted to, but then again, the same with Pabst. And just the same with Pabst, only if I were having a particularly poor and alcoholic week.

Guinness Draught Extra Cold from Guinness Ltd.