1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Guinness 250th Anniversary Stout - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness 250th Anniversary StoutGuinness 250th Anniversary Stout

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: naterock on 04-13-2009)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 547 | Reviews: 401 | Show All Ratings:
sacredduck

New Hampshire

1.35/5  rDev -61.9%

Now I'm not a fan of the Guinness that we Americans get to begin with, but when I saw the "Limited Edition" 250 anniversary stout, I had to give it a try.

The appearance is the best part about it. Up to a light, a beautiful amber shines through. Unfortunately, the head pours a cheap-looking stale white.

The smell is possibly the most vile beer smell I have ever encountered. The first thing that comes to mind is kitty litter and laundry detergent.

The mouthfeel is more like a pale ale than a stout. Strange tanginess, and a totally unsatisfying malt. Overall a very unpleasant taste. It's rare that I can't finish a beer, and I'm going on an hour and only half the glass is gone.

Honestly Guinness, if you're going to make a Limited Edition batch of beer, put some quality ingredients into it and give it some heft. The lightness makes this feel like the Natural Light of stouts.

09-16-2009 00:49:48 | More by sacredduck
GRG1313

1.7/5  rDev -52%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours dark brown/black with a thick pillow white head and with nice lacing.

Simple light coffee nose with hints of bell pepper.

No mouth feel to speak of - could be water. No body; no character. No flavors to speak of - hard to even describe as this beer is almost devoid of flavor. (What am I missing??) Hint of flavor but without desription or character.

Hard to believe that this was released as a limited edition. Candidly, if they labeled this "Guinness Light" it would be accurate. A real miss.

05-25-2009 23:17:59 | More by GRG1313
corby112

1.7/5  rDev -52%

Pours pitch black with mahogany edges and a two finger frothy light beige head that slowly settles into a thin ring. Spots of lacing left behind.

Sweet malty aroma with bittersweet dark chocolate, earthy hops, caramel, nut and toffee.

Thin and fizzy mouthfeel. Disturbingly watered down with high carbonation. Slight toasted malt flavor with subtle caramel and hazelnut. Tastes more like dirty soil with some sweet malt thrown in. Pretty gross.

10-28-2011 05:12:12 | More by corby112
falcon1

1.85/5  rDev -47.7%

I was extremely disappointed with Guinness 250th Anniversary Stout. The appearance and aroma was average to say the least, but the taste was rather watery and weak. This is a rather poor example of the brewing ability of Guinness Ltd. and a sad product to represent the famous brewery's 250th anniversary.

05-07-2009 15:58:33 | More by falcon1
marvin213

2.03/5  rDev -42.7%

A couple inches of fizz tops off what looks like an average stout. The head has only the slightest black tint. The initial fizziness leaves me surprised when the thick foam cap just sits there for minutes. If nothing else, Guinness knows how to pressurize a beverage.

Smells like every other Guinness I've experienced: there's a malty, raisiny quality to it--an aroma that's distinctively Guinness. It's almost like you can smell the pressure. The carbonation that forms the head gets creamier as the beer sits, and it offers a milky tip to the nose. As I try to distinguish it from the more familiar Guinness, I detect more raisin and cream. Still, it ain't that much different.

I smelled the cream, but I taste the malt. Though it's there, the raisin sensation is less apparent in taste. The milk effect is like a spoiled aftertaste. It tastes oddly like fancy cheese smells: pungent and old. For such a fizzy pour, the taste is stale malts. Is it more bittering hops in what is usually an ordinary, malty stout?Whatever was supposed to make this special has backfired--it's inferior to a normal Guinness. It's a stale malt milk hop. Though that might sound promising, this is forgettable.

Stale malts make for a dull mouthfeel, and high-pressure carbonation compounds that effect. Throw in the old cheese milky aftertaste, and it feels downright disappointing. Were there not the comfortable familiairity that a Guinness offers, I'd dub it awful.

It's less enjoyable than your average stout, as well as your average Guinness. Though it's lighter than most stouts, I debate whether I'd just as soon have the nothingness of a Bud Light. A stout in that light must really be awful. Throw in that it's a special anniversary beer, this one is a real let-down.

09-24-2009 21:45:51 | More by marvin213
DavoleBomb

2.05/5  rDev -42.1%

Poured into a pint glass. I admit to be a General in the Hate-Guinness Army, but I'll be as objective as I can.

3.5 A: Dark as night color. Foamy head with pretty good retention and a reasonable amount of lacing.

2.5 S: Not much of anything with a slightly odd huskiness.

1.5 T: Once again Guinness forgot to add taste to their beer. I can't describe any flavors because there aren't any

3.0 M: Light body. Good carbonation. Relatively smooth with a goofy husk aftertaste.

2.0 D: This fucking sucks. I don't know how Guinness manages to make beer with no taste.

04-23-2009 02:26:29 | More by DavoleBomb
nlmartin

2.05/5  rDev -42.1%

The beer was served in an Imperial Pint glass. This review is based of drinking 2 bottles of 250th Anniversary.

Appearance: The beer pours a dark brown coloration. When exposed to light the beer looks like a glass of coke. The head is thick with ok retention. Specs of lacing remain behind on my glass.

Smell: The beers initial aroma is very very super light roasted malt. Something vaguely identifiable as fruity aroma is kicking around my glass. An earthyness finishes the aroma.

Taste: The beers flavor leads with a caramel sweetened light roasted coffee flavor. I am not sure what I expected but this isnt it.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The beer has a light body. The carbonation is a bit much. It was a chore to consume 2 of these for a review. I am hoping I can give the other 4 bottles away.

04-28-2009 04:16:10 | More by nlmartin
Blakaeris

2.1/5  rDev -40.7%

Pours very dark brown with a slight soapy head.

Aroma is musty dark grain.

Taste is similar to the nose. Dry mu dark grain is predominate. Mild underlying sugar sweetness. Finish is dry and powdery.

Mouthfeel is light-medium.

Overall, uninspiring. There are too many good stouts to bother with this again.

05-25-2009 19:06:05 | More by Blakaeris
ljbrisson

2.1/5  rDev -40.7%

Poured a dark brown/black into a Guinness pint glass, with a bit of rocky head that quickly reduced to a thin cap. Left some ropey lacing in the glass. Aroma was very weak. Chocolate, roasted grains, but hardly any of either. Mouthfeel was syrupy with low carbonation and stuck to my teeth at the end of each sip. Taste was... licorice, root beer, anise, cloying, almost "green" sweetness in the finish, hardly any roasted or toasted character at all. Overall this was a brew that I found very unpleasant.

08-05-2009 17:30:20 | More by ljbrisson
JMBSH

Colorado

2.2/5  rDev -37.9%

A - Pours lke a Guinness Extra Stout (dark liquid, tan head, no nitro). Head was about two fingers worth. To strong light, the dark ruby color of Guinness. Head a light tan which shrinks to a nice coating leaving a thick lacing about a finger above the fluid.

S - Chocolate, dark roasted coffee tones. Again like Guinness usually.

T - Tastes a bit thin and watery with only a little hop bitterness in the finish. Has a bit more smoke in it then I remeber from the last time I tried a Guinness (The extra stout being my personal favorite). But this seems bland and boring to me. I don't know what I was going to get from a beer that celebrates 250 years of history and lore but this doesn't seem to be a good way to show off what it can be.

M - Fairly carbonated with a very dry finish. The bitterness stick around but the malts don't want to dance as they do in other dry stouts.

D - Can I drink it again? Maybe with other BAs or some of my friends so we can talk about it. But I came home looking forward to tasting a beer that sings the brewer's praises but instead falls flat. I cannot see buying any more of this beer I am sorry to say.

05-02-2009 03:08:07 | More by JMBSH
bashiba

2.2/5  rDev -37.9%

Poured a dark brown color with a very light head.

Had a strange musty smell, no typical stout smell at all.

The flavor was very flat and boring with just a hint of burnt grain.

The mouthfeel is the high point of this beer with a nice bit of carbonation and a creamy finish.

Overall easily one of the blandest stouts I have ever drank.

05-25-2009 19:03:13 | More by bashiba
crossovert

2.25/5  rDev -36.4%

I am not a fan of regular Guinness but I figured this one would be worth a try. It's for the 250th anniversary of the original lease of the brewery. So I personally would think that this one would have a little more character than your average Guinness product.

Pours a pitch black with a cramy white head that has a hint of toffee brown in it. I would probably just call it an off white.

Scent is of roasted cofee and malt, it is pretty thin. There is a hint of cocoa. Nothing out of oridinary for a Guinness product. I was expecting more.

Tastes of wood and bitter roasted coffee. It has light carbonation with a watery mouthfeel. A little bit of malty sweetness is in the palate, that intensifies when the carbonation bubbles seem to activate it. Maybe if they got some more co2 in here the real character hiding in this beer would have been able to show itself.

The watery mouthfeel and the not too offensive bitterness actually give would this brew a pretty high drinkablity if it weren't for the dry and awkward finish. But overall it is a pretty bland failure of a stout.

This beer is nothing spectacular and yet a small step up for the original Guinness. I wouldn't buy it again but it does leave me with at least a little bit of satisfaction, but then again not much.

08-11-2009 17:41:03 | More by crossovert
scaliasux

Wisconsin

2.3/5  rDev -35%

Appearance - Very dark brown. Clarity hard to determine. Light brown, sudsy head.

Smell - Light roasted malt.

Taste - Dark malt flavor, but seems watered down. More acidic than sweet. Finishes with a bit of sour hops. Okay, but not worth waiting 250 years.

Mouthfeel - Medium light. Dry finish. Wouldn't go so far as to call this creamy.

Drinkability - Moderately drinkable. I'm not a huge Guinness fan, but I'd take a regular over this one. Not very inspired, in my opinion.

05-20-2009 00:38:44 | More by scaliasux
blackearth

2.33/5  rDev -34.2%

Purchased from Consumer Beverage in Hales Corners, WI. Pours a black body with a puffy light tan head. Aroma is of wet cardboard and bready. Medium bodied with more carbonation than is necessary for a stout in my opinion. Astringent flavors are mixed in with the roasted malt flavors. This is the last of the six pack I bought back in May, so it must not keep very long. I remember the first one I tried being better than this, but still nothing very special.

07-29-2009 17:18:12 | More by blackearth
Reswald

Alaska

2.35/5  rDev -33.6%

Tasted both the draft (regular carbonation, not nitro) and bottled versions.

Nice to look at in the glass, though lacking the classic "nitro" head. Not much in the way of aroma. Taste is OK, but nothing special. Mouthfeel was rather thin

I was amazed at how "little" there was to them. To my taste, they had even less body than regular Guinness Draught. Not to mention they were totally lacking in the roasted notes usually associated with a Irish Dry Stout. If this is the brewery trying to harken back to its porter roots, from the days prior to that new-fangled thing called "Stout Porter" being dreamed up, they missed the mark.

Not much to show for 250 years of brewing...

07-15-2009 22:13:24 | More by Reswald
BuckeyeNation

2.4/5  rDev -32.2%

Dark nut brown that becomes lucent dark cherry when backlit with the overcast morning outside my front window. Opacity wasn't expected. The beige crown has outstanding texture, like a torn loaf of freshly baked peasant bread. Plenty of lace sticks as well.

The nose is simple and underpowered. Each sniff delivers a whiff of cocoa and a fruitiness that is pleasant enough. It's also somewhat earthy and nutty, characteristics which aren't usually appreciated in beer of this style due to the dominance of chocolate and black malt. No such dominance here.

Forget the interesting history of Guinness and the fact of its 250th anniversary. Forget the fancy packaging. Simply put, 250th Anniversary Stout isn't very good beer. I've had loads of American-brewed Irish dry stouts that put this one to shame. It's slightly better than the abomination that is Guinness Draught, but then that isn't saying much.

Each mouthful leads me to drop the taste score another notch. Bland is the one word that keeps coming to mind. It's as if the brewers tweaked and tweaked... and then tweaked some more, until they 'succeeded' in engineering any sort of stout-like flavor out of this brew. BMC drinkers who feel brave enough to venture out into 'dark beer' should find a comfortable home here.

Specific flavors... now that's a tough one. Let's go with watery cocoa, bitter nut skins and a large splash of mineral water. The beer simply isn't flavorful enough to be offensive. A near complete lack of malt sugars leads to a dry, bitter, metallic finish that is shockingly brief. That's probably for the best.

My mouthfeel impressions should be obvious by now. The beer is too thin, even keeping style and ABV firmly in mind. Carbonation is on the low end, which contributes even more to the lackluster feeling that accompanies each and every mouthful.

Why? Why? Why? Why take the opporutunity of your 250th anniversary to release lousy beer? Why not take the time and effort to... who am I kidding? This is exactly the beer that Guinness wanted to brew. More's the pity.

08-03-2009 12:29:31 | More by BuckeyeNation
greenjeff4141

2.42/5  rDev -31.6%

A: Pours a dark brown-black. Not as much head as I would expect and not as fine as I would expect from this style. Nothing impressive.

S: There wasn't much of one. Very faint roasty malts and coffee.

T: Very uninspired. I wanted to be kicked in the mouth with flavor. I was disappointed. It was very watery and had a fairly light taste of dark malts and chocolate. Barely noticeable.

M: Lots of carbonation. Light to medium body. Once again, I wasn't impressed.

D: I downed it in a minute or so, like drinking a glass of water, but wasn't drawn back to it. The drinkability is good, just not a great beer.

I would have rather had a regular guinness stout than this. Attempt at gimmicky beer I guess. Guess the 110k+OT I had the night before drowned it out.

06-21-2009 20:45:57 | More by greenjeff4141
Arbitrator

2.42/5  rDev -31.6%

Received as an extra from mfielden. Thanks Mark!

A: Pours a dark, but not opaque, maroon-mahogany blend in the glass that looks quite inviting at first. A standard pour yields 2 inches of beige-colored foam that retains well and deposits nice lace. Not quite as nice as the standard Guinness on nitro-tap, but nice just the same.

S: Yep, this is in the Guinness family. An underwhelming waft of nuts, dark fruit, chocolate, roasted malt. "Lightly scented" is the euphemism I would use here.

T: And "lightly flavored" is the appropriate analogue here, too. A water blend of nuts, roasted malt, and a slightly dry, bitter finish that is short-lived at best. Within a second of sipping you'd never know that you had drank the beer at all.

M: Thin-bodied and sluggish in carbonation. Unimpressive.

D: Bleargh.

11-11-2009 08:30:35 | More by Arbitrator
philipquarles

Connecticut

2.45/5  rDev -30.8%

12oz bottle. Pours clear dark brown/black with a substantial beige head. Smells faintly of roasted malts with some metallic and mineral notes. Taste is weak, watery dark malt with some slight bitterness. Light body with a fair amount of carbonation. Slightly better than the standard Guinness, but that may only be down to the carbonation vs nitro.

06-10-2009 23:27:26 | More by philipquarles
OtherShoe2

2.53/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a dark brown with a fluffy head with good retention and no lace. You can easily see through this when held to the light. Tons of bubbles in this one.

Faint scents, and what you get is kind of a boiled barley mixed with watery coffee scent. Eh.

This is stout, right? Could've fooled me. Take a Guinness Draught and mix it with a Michelob Dry (remember that crap?). Watered down, dry, thin flavors. Some dark roasted malt, maybe some coffee, but what is missing is that creaminess that you look for in the Guinness. Has a bitter, almost mineral/metallic finish.

Mouthfeel is thin and fizzy.

Drinkability? I've been on the wagon because of a health issue and this is the first beer I've had in little while. I poured out the remaining third of the pint glass. Glad I only bought a single. I always try to be constructive, and justify any critical comments, but when it comes right down to it, this is just a really shitty marketing ploy gone bad. This is terrible beer. Not horribly undrinkable, but not even worthy of its mediocre predecessors. This is a limited edition (6 months?) so grab one if you are compelled to do so, but for God's sake do not buy multiple bottles of this swill. If this is what they do to celebrate 250 years, I'd hate to see what these clowns do for Mother's Day (hey Ma -- here's a punch in the mouth!).

04-29-2009 23:10:23 | More by OtherShoe2
MusicmanSD

2.55/5  rDev -28%

Was stoked to try, was disappointed to drink. It looks good like your average stout, but without hardly any head. I enjoy Guinness' gimmicks, so I was kinda let down here. Tastes like their usual nitro-stout recipe except not nitrogenated and missing the acidulated malt sourness. I have no idea if this was their "original" recipe or something along those lines, but it was really un-inspiring.

06-22-2009 04:28:23 | More by MusicmanSD
MayorAdamWest

2.55/5  rDev -28%

Calling this a stout is a crime. Dark Ale maybe, but not a stout. There was little to no body making mouthfeel nill and the flavors were weak almost bland. The slightest maltiness, but nothing impressive.

Guinness, if you're going to brew something for your 250th...make it exceptional. Not mediocre. Better yet why not give the US Foreign Extra finally.

09-13-2009 17:48:30 | More by MayorAdamWest
redneckchugger

2.6/5  rDev -26.6%

poured into a mug. Dark almost balck, tan haead, sheets of lacing.
almost no nose, some faint roastlike smell comign through
tastes awful like the regular stuff, but not as smooth since its not on nitrobut still good which i actually like, earned a bump in mouthfeel points there, but not much for the taste, its worse that the regular gusinness, more like you poured guinness into a coors light.

05-26-2009 03:35:02 | More by redneckchugger
icefisherman

2.6/5  rDev -26.6%

Poored in a two part poor in to a standard pint glass. So to start a huge sand colored head that only lasted about a minute. Smell was almost non existant of burnt not impressed. Taste slightly better, wattery burnt spice goodness and not burnt in a good way either. Mouthfeel was well a little on the thin side. Drinkability not so good I think I know what I will be giving out for the hollidays.

12-19-2009 03:50:13 | More by icefisherman
DoubleJ

2.63/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Went to an Irish pub with friends last night, and was surprised to see this beer available from draft. On to the beer:

In a dark pub, it looks black. But when taken to the patio with better lighting, it looks more ruby brown than black. Run of the mill head retention, minimal lacing. Astringent, astringent, astringent, my nose claims. Asrtingent roasted malts. Tastes like....an unmasked Guinesss. Out goes the nitro, and out goes more flavor, but not neccessarily for the better. Again, very astringent dark malt is the name of the game. Rough, not smooth in flavor. Not watery at all.

Three years ago, this beer would have won me over. But now, after trying so many stouts, I would give this a pass, regardless of its celebration.

08-15-2009 18:18:35 | More by DoubleJ
Guinness 250th Anniversary Stout from Guinness Ltd.