Guinness 250th Anniversary Stout - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness 250th Anniversary StoutGuinness 250th Anniversary Stout

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: naterock on 04-13-2009

Ratings: 565 | Reviews: 402
3.81/5  rDev +7.6%

Nitro-tap into an Imperial pint glass.

From notes from late spring visit to Chicago.

A- 1 finger, dark tan head, with the classic creamy look from a nitro-infused stout.

S- Mostly roasty malts come through in it's aroma, didn't pick out the chocolate that I was expecting.

T- More of the roasted malts suggested in the aroma. It didn't have quite that bitter bite of the traditional offering.

M- Creamy, smooth feel with just the slightest of bite on the tongue.

D- It's an easy drinker that I could put back a bunch of in a sitting.

Overall- A lot like the regular Guinness Draft. I was expecting a bit of a departure from what I'm used to.

2.76/5  rDev -22%

I wanted so much and I tried to find the good in this beer but it lacked on all levels except drinkability. I hate to say it but i have described it to friends as "Guinness Light." As someone who loves a guinness in hot or cold weather, it didn't stand up to the hype.

3.53/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 11.2oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: very dark, cloudy brown that allows some red hue through when held up to the light. Two fingers of bubbly head, tan in color. Pretty nice.

Smell: a little roasted malt with hints of chocolate; some grainy aroma. It smells rather like a Guinness.

Taste: somewhat sweet malt with a little chocolatey roastiness accompanying. The plain grain of the aroma subsides here; this simply strikes me as a very well-crafted Guinness. There's just the slightest hint of tartness from the roasted grains, but overall it's pretty smooth. I like it, but it's not particularly stout-ey.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation. Good, but I feel like it either needs a little more body or a little less carbonation.

Drinkability: quite drinkable in my book. I think I prefer just a regular bottle to the nitro-widget cans and bottles that normal Guinness comes in.

3.34/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a dense black with a large fluffy light brown head. Very nice to look at.

Aroma of malts, light hops, earthy...all very light.

Taste is of roasted malts, toffee....all very subtle. Not a lot to go on.

Mouthfeel is cramy, med-light, lightly cleansing.

Overall, a decent enough brew. Not a dynamic stout, but sessionable.

3.45/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I got to sample this when I was back home last thanksgiving. I just found my notes that I took on my computer. I was told by my friend at the local liquor store that this was a special release that was only supposed to be made available to bars. I am not sure if that was the case but he had a pallet of them at his store so I snagged a sixer of it and got him to count is as a regular sixpack of guinness so I could get the 12 pack price being I had a six pack of regular guinness as well. So heres we goes.

Appearance- Not the typical guinness black and white it is more of a deep chestnut and tawny color. 2 finger puffy head that deflates a little. Still very nice to look at though. Pretty nice lacing too.

Smell- Not quite as pungent as regular guinness. I mean you still smell alot of trademark guinness notes they just don't smack you in the face. There is also kind of a nutty and cream essence to it. Has a slight smokey characteristic to it but to my nose it isn't as intense as regular guinness.

Taste- Very interesting taste. I mean you can tell it is a guinness product for sure. It has those characteristics but it has sort of a fruitier sweeter presence to it. Definitely not as bitter as I thought it would be. Kind of surprising spin on a guinness.

Mouthfeel- I would say medium thin to thin feel. It is very smooth and drinkable. It is a hair thicker than regular guinness. Carbonation is pretty low which is good.

Overall- I like it but I don't love it. It is a great session beer, That I would drink on occasion but that is if they decide to keep this beer around. I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled it after a year. I like traditional guinness much better and Extra Stout even more than that. It was a great effort on their part but I think this product could have been better.

It has a beautiful color with some great lace. This dark beer doesn't have much for carbonation in it. It has a thick dark two tone light tan and dark tan head. This beer is a lot milder than the regular Guinness. It has a little less bitter and you can taste the caramel and the chocolate malts. The body has medium mouthfeel and it also thinner than the stout.

3.58/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours dark brown-black with a khaki head. The aroma is roasted malt with some coffee notes. Definitely a better smelling beer than regular Guinness Extra or Draught. The flavor is roasted malt. My problem with this beer is the same I have with Guinness Draught and Guinness Extra Stout, that is the beer is so thin-bodied. I definitely prefer this without nitro since I am not a fan of nitro-stouts. Better than the regular Guinness beers, but still not great.

4.05/5  rDev +14.4%

Definitely a slightly lighter and slightly more complex blend than the regular Guinness. It is dark and silky yet slightly more bitter and hoppy upfront. There is a some deeper roasted flavor that is not quite as dry and astringent as the regular Guinness. The malts come off as nutty and crisp.

It was particularly smooth and impressive on Nitro with a thick head and creamy mouthfeel. Highly drinkable and a true session beer with a light alcohol touch.

4.47/5  rDev +26.3%

Situation: Trying to erase PSU's loss to OSU... Glassware: Guinness tulip... Appearance: like any other Guinness--jet black, formal for the evening, with a milky brown head... Aroma: lactic, milky with a smoke that somehow cohabitates into an awakening of cocoa... Palate: soft, creamy body that stands with enough backbone to flourish at the throat--smooth across the tongue with a fortified aftertaste... Taste: velvet milkiness with a complexity unexpected--hops and malts are in a whirl of enjoyment... Overall: A celebration of all that a stout should be--dry, creamy, yet warming, invigorating, a pint that needs to be refilled...

3.88/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours a black with big fluffy tan head that falls slowly and laces well.

Aroma is dry roasted malts some light sweetness mild metallic hints.

Taste is roasted malts on light side though some bitterness like coffee even light tartness, or is it metallic hints not sure. Roasted coffee seems to blend with the hops well.

Mouthfeel is only medium not near as big as normal without the nitro helping out, but lends itself well to the drinkability.

Drinkability is good enjoyable goes down smooth and easy, not a big dry stout fan but this one is good.

3.26/5  rDev -7.9%

pours out a nearly opaque dark brown colur with blackish hues and crimson edges. foamy tan head, large in nature with staying power. nice lacing. malty aroma...caramel and toffee notes with some woody, nutty undertones. a bit astringent...puckering bitterness...ghostly sour. light bodied and an easy going mouthfeel...not really smooth but not coarse by any means. finishes dry. drinkability is nice.

i found this special offering from guiness a bit underwhelming and really sort of boring. maybe on draught or nitro it might be better. OTOH, this would be a nice beer to pair with some meat and cheese platters or other some other game time snacks.

3.33/5  rDev -5.9%

Similar to Guiness Extra Stout in its complexity and dryness, but really has an interesting verve to it that the regular draft stout does not have. Typical Guinness color and viscosity, with roasted grains and milk in the smell and taste.

I would say this surpasses regular Guinness by the bottle, but it could use a bit of that creaminess attributed to draft Guinness instead of the dry, wistfulness that one gets with a typical grainy taste. Over-roasted barley and yeast residue round out the finish.

3.59/5  rDev +1.4%

I recognize that the ubiquitous Guinness Draught is not the most flavorful or complex beer, but it is a unique and enjoyable beer nonetheless, so I was happy to give their special release a try. The pour is dark, dark brown with a massive beige head that quickly collapses to a fluffy cloud atop the dark liquid. The aroma is full of roasted and nutty malts, but is still crisp and welcoming. The taste is all of the same flavors of Guinness Draught, but magnified: dark, sweet, and a little bit nutty. The texture obviously isn't as creamy and smooth as the Draught, but it is still a bit thin, leaving this one plenty drinkable but a little unfulfilling. Overall, though, it's quite enjoyable and a good complement to Guinness' other offerings.

3.03/5  rDev -14.4%

It's Guinness draught but a little watered down. I was excited to try this beer knowing it was a Guinness product, however, I was extremely disappointed by how bland and watery it was. There's really not much else to it aside that its just a Guinness with a watery taste. It's not bad at all, just disappointing.

2.59/5  rDev -26.8%

Poored in a two part poor in to a standard pint glass. So to start a huge sand colored head that only lasted about a minute. Smell was almost non existant of burnt not impressed. Taste slightly better, wattery burnt spice goodness and not burnt in a good way either. Mouthfeel was well a little on the thin side. Drinkability not so good I think I know what I will be giving out for the hollidays.

Grabbed this bottle at a local beer bar, served in an imperial pint glass. I'm not expecting great things but its a novelty beer.

Beer is dark brown to black. Brown head made up of a tiny bubbles leaves a lot of lacing on the glass.

Smell isn't roasty at all, mostly malts and sweetness, that was surprising.

Beer is medium body (heavier than a Guinness draft). Beer is slightly sweet and moderately bitter. This is approximately what I expected. I'm not surprised but I'm also not disappointed. There is no aftertaste, overall its a fine crafted, sweeter fuller Guinness and I can respect that.

3.33/5  rDev -5.9%

Tastes a bit more malty than the original, but other than that it is pretty similar. Cocoa and coffee flavor beans are there. Not quite as bitter as the original. Pour very dark, only light can be faintly seen through the edges.

I almost prefer the original to this 250.

2.86/5  rDev -19.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass.

A: Finger width of light brown coffee colored head. Pours a very very dark brown that for all intensive purposes is black unless you hold it up to the light. Head reduces down into a nice thick film. Some lacing present.
S: Not much here. Some light chocolate maybe.
T: Sweet malt and fruits. Slightly sour at the end. Light toffee and slight roasted coffee flovors. All flavors are slight and disappear quickly on your tongue.
M: Less watery than regular Guinness but still a light mouth feel and fairly watery and clean.
D: Slightly more flavor than regular Guinness draught. More fruity and tingly but not as creamy. I would say it might be better than regular Guinness but it's not worth the extra money. Not a bad beer, and very drinkable one at that, but there is better stuff I would spend my money on.

3.75/5  rDev +5.9%

Had this at the Truckee Soroptomist beer fest. Also have had some subsequent bottles of it. Pours not as impressively as the usual nitrogen guinness, but looks cool nonetheless.

Nothing to write home about smell wise, just a hint of the smoke.

Taste is where its at. Superior to normal Guinness, it has a smoky edge to it. A little thicker than the normal stuff too. Mouthfeel is better, stickier, not thin like the normal. Very drinkable.

2.81/5  rDev -20.6%

Poured a semi-transparent black with ruby and brown hints around the edges, this mocha colored head that hung around fairly well and left a few lace bubbles
Smell is light roasted malts and what I always consider the "nitro" aspect
Taste is nothing all that spectacular actually tastes just like regular Guinness to me but more concentrated
Mouthfeel is typical for style light watery and easy to drink
Drinkability - eh why not just stick with normal Guinness and not pay the premium I'm sure this is getting

3.23/5  rDev -8.8%

(Served in a nonic)
A- This beer has a black dense body with a creamy beige head that pops of big bubbles and then fades to a thin wisp of foam. There are a few tiny bubbles that stick to the glass.
S- This beer has a light cola note followed by mellow roasted dark malt notes and a cream note in the finish.
T- This beer has a light smooth roasted flavor with a light chocolate malt note and finishes with a soft dark roasted not that doesn't have any bitterness. There is a very light tartness that only comes through when the beer is pretty warm.
M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with no alcohol heat and a thin texture on the tongue. There is a tight fizz that cleans up any flavor at the finish.
D- This reminds me of a Guinness that has been lagered for a good bit of time and is smooth but really doesn't have much character.

3.76/5  rDev +6.2%

This stout pours a deep black color (with a dark crimson shining through when held up to a strong light). It has a characteristic cream-colored head, and looks a lot like the traditional Guinness. The aroma isn't particularly exciting: a little roasted smells, a hint of sourness in the smell, and a touch of malt. No hops. The taste quite good overall...lots of notable lactic notes and some roasted character. I really like the acidic bite, which is a welcome change. It makes the beer not quite as creamy as other stouts, but it's very fitting. Moderate bitterness and quite dry. Interesting ad very good beer.

2.87/5  rDev -18.9%

Thanks to my homie Jeff for the bottle. from notes, consumed on 10/1.

Pours black with a very light tan head. Nice retention and dotted lacing covers my glass.

Lame aroma overall for me. It's got that 'macro', light malt- vegetable-y thing going on. Very faint cocoa powder and roasted malts try to cover it up but ultimately fail. epic fail.

Taste has less off-flavors than the aroma in a sense. Light bitterness from the roasted malts I presume. Faint chocolate flavors.

Watery mouthfeel with little substance, leaving a lot to be desired. I tolerated this bottle, but just because it's so watery and mild-tasting. I'll pass on having another.

3.62/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Here's to Arthur! I have been given a couple of bottles of this beer and I feel it only fair to open one and get a review in.

From the bottle: "To mark the 250 year anniversary of the signing of the lease on St. James's Gate Brewery by Arthur Guinness, we introduce a special commemorative stout. This premium recipe provides a refreshing taste, which underlies the complex flavor of stout."

It began with a big, foamy two fingers' worth of deep-tan head that eventually sat down, leaving a lot of lacing in its wake. The nose had notes of dark chocolate, black coffee, and smoke. The color was a Stygian black with ruby highlights at the edges. Mouthfeel was medium with tastes of charcoal, coffee and smoke on the tongue. The finish was very dry with about as much charcoal taste as I can tolerate in a stout. It might be worth trying this side-by-side with regular Guinness, but otherwise, it was just sort of a novelty for me.

3.45/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

One of many in the long line of Guiness Stout products, and to be quite frank, very few of them actually stand out against each other. I wonder how many people could actually pick one over the other, blind.

Pours very, very dark brown. Suprising lack of head on this one, only a little ring. Leaves little lacing. Scent is thin... dark roasted, almost burnt or smoked malts. Slightly earthy. Taste follows scent with the burnt, smoked, earthy malt flavor and a touch of chocolate and roasted nuts to it. A stretch to say medium bodied, very thin carbonation, dry and earthy. Not sure what Guiness was going foe here... different then other Guiness Stouts, yes... any better, not really.

Guinness 250th Anniversary Stout from Guinness Ltd.