Guinness 250th Anniversary Stout - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness 250th Anniversary StoutGuinness 250th Anniversary Stout

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: naterock on 04-13-2009)
4.15/5  rDev +17.2%

12oz bottle obtained at the local Hannaford. Pours a nearly opaque dark brown to black body with slight ruby-red highlights and nearly an inch of slowly-dissipating light tan head. Smells toasty with strong notes of caramel and toffee. Tastes initially sweet with toasty rich caramel playing a big role, but finishes dry. Medium-bodied with ample carbonation. This was definitely better than expected - downright good. Solid flavors, no perceivable flaws, leaps and bounds better than Guinness Draught and at least as good as Guinness Extra Stout if not even a bit better in some ways. The only thing that will stop me from getting this beer as often as I can is the price (9.99$/sixer) is a little steep for what it is. It's a solid dry stout though.

MrHurmateeowish, Apr 29, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +22.3%

I, too, will be very disappointed when this brew goes away!!! This delicious, malty, roasty, creamy and smooth brew is a step above the traditional Guinness we get in the states. Same Guinness goodness, but, a creamier, smoother drink. I compared side by side, Guinness Extra Stout and the 250. Extra Stout seemed watery compared to 250, the nitro infused head on the ES lasted far longer than the 250, but, my concern was the flavour and drinkibility of the 250. It will be hard to go back to Guinness, but, since 250 is a limited release, I'll stock up now!

thequeen711, Apr 28, 2009
2.05/5  rDev -42.1%

The beer was served in an Imperial Pint glass. This review is based of drinking 2 bottles of 250th Anniversary.

Appearance: The beer pours a dark brown coloration. When exposed to light the beer looks like a glass of coke. The head is thick with ok retention. Specs of lacing remain behind on my glass.

Smell: The beers initial aroma is very very super light roasted malt. Something vaguely identifiable as fruity aroma is kicking around my glass. An earthyness finishes the aroma.

Taste: The beers flavor leads with a caramel sweetened light roasted coffee flavor. I am not sure what I expected but this isnt it.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The beer has a light body. The carbonation is a bit much. It was a chore to consume 2 of these for a review. I am hoping I can give the other 4 bottles away.

nlmartin, Apr 28, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +28%

I'm going to be very sad when this beer goes away, and I'll go out on a limb by saying that after the promotion has run its course I'll find it very difficult to go back to nitro-Guinness. I've never quite understood the rationale for putting nitrous on a beer rather than CO2, which is the gas that yeast makes when it ferments the liquid that we all love. It ruined Boddington's for me.

This beer looks very much like regular Guinness but with a slightly darker head, and obviously no cascading. The aroma is the most wonderful mix of roasted malt, chocolate and coffee - just what you'd expect really. The taste is much the same, with that added dry stout finish that can make your mouth pucker if you're not ready for it. Mouthfeel is a little on the thin side compared to some of the craft stouts I like to drink, but the drinkability of this beer is second to none.

Guinness really need to add this (or something like it) to their full-time portfolio after the 250 promotion is over and done with.

omnigrits, Apr 28, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -6.8%

A - Deep brown. Not nearly as dark as their regular stout. Heavy in carbonation with a large off-white head.

S - The smell is sweet with matls, but not overwhelmingly so. Nothing really distinguishable.

T - Slight bitterness. No chocolate or coffee flavors, just dark malts. Finished quite dry.

M - Carbonation is lively. An astringent feel covers the tongue.

D - Easy to drink. The CO2 is less drinkable than nitrogen, but that can't be helped.

drcarver, Apr 27, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +9.6%

Guinness- 250th Anniversary Stout

Deep dark black with a moderate size tan head. Quick dissapation and no lacing.
S- Light roasted malts with a creamy coffe bean, chocolate, and vanilla nose.
T- Nice roasted malt and chocolate with a creamy vanilla coffee body. Creamy light caramel and a slight dose of molasses.
M- Very smooth very creamy. A nice dry body with a sweet creamy finish.

Overall- Quite good and quaffable. This could be enjoyed all night!

NJpadreFan, Apr 27, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -5.4%

Served in a "Guinness" glass. Served on co2, not nitro. Poured a solid black with about 3/4 inch of medium tan head that left less lacing than I expected.

A rich, roasted aroma greeted me. A more fulfilling scent than I expected. The full, roasted, toasted flavors came through on the tongue, much richer and fuller than I expected.

Easy and smooth to drink, much like "regular" Guinness, this beer had an enjoyable body and level of drinkability that outpaces the standard Guinness. You should try this beer while available, and hopefully the suits will make this a yearly offering.

beertunes, Apr 27, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +11.6%

The color is just as black as regular Guinness. Head is about the same color also. Thick and creamy. Aroma was coffee like. The flavor and body are where the differences come in. I found it to be not quite as roasty with much more body than the regular Guinness. Same carbonaton levels as regular as it was served on nitro also. Flavor was that of choclate and roasted peanuts. A decent beer but not too different from the regular to make it anything out of the ordinary.

bigbelcher, Apr 27, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer seemed to just show up on a few taps around town with no flare, marketing, or promotion. Glad it did, it's a marked improvement over the standard Guinness.

First off, the beer has a more beer-like appearance without the cascading effect of the the nitro-tap. A sturdy white foam sit proudly on the beer and laces well on the way down in true Guinness fashion. Still as dark brown and dense looking as ever.

Faint aromas give a light impression of toasted grains, delicat maltiness, and with a slight yeasty twang.

Flavors on the other hand do deliver a bit more sweetness than the original Guinness and take the shape of caramel, barley malt, and light esters of grapes and plumbs. Still quite reserved in flavor and aroma, this beer has a noticable depth that is similar to the Extra Stout.

Somewhere between moderate and full, the mouthfeel seems heavy up front (probably because of the low carbonation and added sweetness). The beer fades nicely into a powdery and lightly ashy texture that is reminescent of Guinness Draught.

Ultimately, I find that the beer might be a good blend of Guinness Draught and Guinness Extra Stout. Still it's a good beer that I'll happily drink again.

BEERchitect, Apr 26, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -10.2%

A not offensive attempt at something a little different from Guinness. Glad I tried it but wouldn't seek it out again.

Appearance: Blackish with a decent head, a perfectly decent looking stout. Does not require the two-stage pour of a proper Guinness.

Smell: A little chocolate, some roasted malt, a hint of yeastyness. Not bad.

Taste: A little caramel, some roasted malt, not bad, but not great either. Nothing really standing out in the end.

Mouthfeel: a fizzy carbonation, surprisingly medium bodied, not heavy and rich like standard Guinness.

Drinkability: Good, could be a serviceable replacement for standard Guinness, but why would you do that? Still a decent session beer.

sbe1, Apr 26, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -3.1%

I often credit Guinness Draught as "the beer" that got me into different beers. When I heard that Guinness was releasing an Anniversary Stout, I knew I had to try it. While in the package store today, I saw this and picked up a six-pack.

Now onto the beer itself. I poured from the bottle in a nice cold glass. Appearance is opaque black with a two finger head that has good retention and sticks nicely to the side of the glass. The aroma is dark chocolate all the way, with nice hints of fruity esters. A nice new dimension. The flavor really surprised me at first. Fruity esters were the first thing I picked up. Almost reminded me of a Belgian Ale from the taste. On the back end, the flavor of the roasted malts present themselves in notes of chocolate, coffee, and a nice smoke. The roasted malts and fruity flavors don't blend as nicely as I would hope, and as a result, the fruity esters are not as fulfilling as usual. The mouthfeel is also strange, considering this is an Irish Dry Stout. It is light, watery and not at all creamy. The carbonation gives it a nice little bite, but still completely unlike the Draught. Drinkability is much lower than the Draught as the fruity flavors can be a bit overwhelming and this also seems a bit more boozy than the Draught.

Overall, an interesting beer completely different than what I expected. It was rather enjoyable, but I still prefer the Draught. Actually reminded me more of the new Smuttynose Star Island Single than Guinness Draught. The interesting flavor combination is certainly worth the visit for Guinness fans.

Gosox8787, Apr 26, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Max's the other day.

Like regular Guinness draft, this beer pours a dark black brown color with pretty good head retentition, but minimal lacing. On the nose I get some dry roasty aroma, with some licorise. The flavors on the palate replicate the nose, except this beer is a bit sweeter and has a somewhat fuller mouthfeel. I assume this is from the slightly elevated abv. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, but is otherwise a bit thin. Drinkability is OK, though this beer really isn't interesting enough for me to drink more then one.

This is an OK beer, but one that is so similar to regular Guinness, I'm not sure I see the point. Can't say I'm hugely impressed.

John_M, Apr 26, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -16.7%

A - Dark, dark brown. Almost black. Nice fluffly, thick, off-white head that settles down a bit pretty quickly but remains throughout.

S - Smells like a run-of-the-mill dry stout. Not a ton of aroma, but the BP does show through. Roasty, with maybe a hint of chocolate.

T - Tastes almost EXACTLY like Guinness Draught. Maybe a tad bit more chocolate, but it still tastes pretty much like water that gets some bitterness from roasted barley. Not a huge fan, but it's a tiny bit more flavorful than the Draught.

M/D - WAYYY too much carbonation. It was like somebody dropped an Alka-Seltzer in my beer. This was a huge turn-off for me. I guess it was drinkable enough.

I was really disappointed in this beer. Everything was just very under-whelming. Guinness really played it safe with this beer. I would have thought it was okay, but the over-carbonation ruined it for me. I tried to give the rest of these to my roommates, but even they wouldn't drink them after trying mine. Not recommended.

timmah427, Apr 26, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -4%

I had this on-tap at The New Deck Tavern in Philadelphia, PA. It came in a signature Guinness 250th Anniversary Stout Glass.
Appearance: The body is a deep black color. The head is a velvety light tan color, small bubbles, two or three inches tall, excellent retention as well and lacing.
Smell: The aromas are nutty, coffee and a bit of mocha (not to much).
Taste: The flavors are dominated by roasted nuts, but there are notes of chocolate and coffee.
Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is very smooth.
Drinkability: This isn't that much different than Guinness, but unlike the other reviews, I felt the flavors were more intense.
Don't drink and review.

treehugger02010, Apr 26, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +2.5%

Comes to a dark brown color with a nice, tight head of foam, maybe two inches or so. This retains nicely and a little bit makes it to the bottom of the glass. The nose is of black patent and roasted malt, mostly dry with a bit of fruity sweetness.

The flavor is mellow, an average dry stout. Sweetness comes from a chocolate malt character, with some caramel, and fruit notes that I don't associate with Guinness. Bitterness includes a mild hop prick, some roasted malt, and a little coffee character.

The body is medium and fairly creamy, but overcarbonated. Finishes dry with a dusty roast edge. Not much to get me too excited, but I did get a free pint glass out of the deal.

BretSikkink, Apr 25, 2009
3.55/5  rDev +0.3%

Just got 8 cases of this at work today, sold out completely by 4pm.

Nice looking bottle, pours a deep brown, however not completely opaque like the other Guinnesses and without the effervescence of the draught. Decent 2 finger head with good retention, not much lacing however.

Smells light and chocolaty. Not impressed so far as I remember the sixer was $10.25.

Taste makes up for the smell. First thing that comes to mind is "Stone Smoked Porter Lite." Getting the typical flaky dark Guinness barley and a subtle smokiness. Not that hammy, bacon grease smokiness but the charcoal bbq smokiness of Stone's porter.

Carbonation is just above the Extra Stout, nowhere near as creamy as the draught. Dry finish.

Not too sure about the drinkability on this one as the weather is getting warmer. But a month ago this would've been a great session beer.

My first beer was a Guinness and I will be forever thankful and loyal but predispositions aside, this is a worthy brew.

PoolhouseRebel, Apr 25, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours a pitch black color with a white one-finger head into my glass.

Aroma has a bit of bitter coffee roastiness to it in the nose. Seems pretty bland at first.

Taste is light and full of light roasted tones. A bit creamy but not by much. Pretty average.

Mouthfeel is average here but it does go down ok. Doesn't seem thick enough for the style. Doesn't really inspire anything.

What's the difference between this and regular Guinness? Only try it if you enjoy Guinness. Otherwise, not even in the top.

Brad007, Apr 25, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -22.9%

A-Very nice pitch black. Looks promising. Decent 2 finger head that lingered. Nice lacing.

S-As others have said, theres not much here. Faint coffee aroma is all I'm noticing.

T-Bland, bland, bland. I want to describe it, but how can you describe something that isn't there?

M-Appearance is deceiving. Thin and light with too much carbonation.

D-Its hard to say a beer is drinkable when there is no taste.

OK. Now I can officially swear off Guinness brews. I thought I'd give them a shot with this "special" beer. This beer is nothing special. I won't buy this again. Life is too short to waste on poorly made beer.

Lerxst, Apr 24, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Now listening to: Kiss - Shout It Out Loud

A- Body = black, head = light tan. Head was close to two strong inches in a 20oz glass. Head stayed relatively long through the drink and there was a decent amount of lacing.
S- Not much happening in the nose. Some mild roastiness.
T- More roasty character than I expected for such a mass produced beer, but nothing as I might like to have seen from an anniversary.
M- A little thin. Definitely not as rich as the Extra Stout, which I am use to. I don't drink the draft style enough to know, but this may just be that beer without the nitro.
D- I would have said that this had a higher drinkability if I was writing this half way through the beer. But by the time that I finished my glass, I was surprisingly bloated.

opwog, Apr 24, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -11.6%

Got it on tap at BEFF's in Delmar.

A: Body is black with a 1-finger foamy off-white head. Leaves a ring of lace up top, but nothing beyond that.

S: Faint. Some roasted grains, but that's about it.

T: First impression: a tad bit more chocolatey than regular Guinness, then I get a hint of coffee as well. But really, it's only a hint. Roasted grains are knocked down by that sour bitterness -- it's a somewhat dry, minerally, metallic bitterness that lingers.

M: Thin in heft, bordering on watery.

D: Not bad for a light stout, but it's nothing all that interesting.

Kendo, Apr 24, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +8.2%

This is pretty good. I'm not a fan of Guinness in the first place but this is a bit different. It's still pretty light and flavorless but the flavors that do come out are tasty. It pours with a great head with nice retention and it's a nice dark black/ruby. smell isn't remarkable and nothing really sticks out. Goo mouthfeel and a pleasant aftertaste. There's better stouts but this isn't bad. The price would prevent me from buying this again though

kballer, Apr 24, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -17.2%

still a pint of the black, but the head is way too sodaish.

little metallic sweet malt coffee smell

coffee tones and then a light graininess.

the mouthfeel is just way too light for an irish stout. too much carbonation way too light.

wanted to like it, but really just tastes like an american micro w/ an irish kick too it.

bfields4, Apr 24, 2009
3.55/5  rDev +0.3%

Black, with the signature tan Guinness head. The head thins out to a light dusting after a few sips. No lacing.
The aroma is dry and light, like Guinness, with some additional ale fruitiness and lactic sourness.
The flavor opens with the traditional Guinness roastiness, immediately sweetened with some additional pear flavors. Kinda like a black and tan without the tan. Much fruitier than your average pint of Guinness. Well carbonated, making the already light body airier and somewhat vapid. Maybe a little too carbonated for my taste. Finishes with the standard Guinness dryness, but with a little boost of extra lactic sourness. Tastes a touch stronger that normal. I'd guess 5.5-6%
Nice, maybe better than your standard pint of Irish dry stout. Certainly more flavorful than average.

UnionMade, Apr 24, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +9.6%

Thank goodness it's not a nitro-bottle! This pours a classic guinness color, with a huge, densely creamy head. The nose is a bit disappointing. A faint lightly-roasted caramel. Not as much roasted flavor as in the typical drink, but it's still pleasant, plus it has a lightly sour edge to it, similar to the extra stout, that makes it unusually refreshing for a stout. The body seems a tad thin, but it's quite a drinkable beer. It'd be nice to have something a bit more special for a 250 anniversary, though. I'd like to thank them for a plain carbonated beer, at least.

allengarvin, Apr 24, 2009
2.05/5  rDev -42.1%

Poured into a pint glass. I admit to be a General in the Hate-Guinness Army, but I'll be as objective as I can.

3.5 A: Dark as night color. Foamy head with pretty good retention and a reasonable amount of lacing.

2.5 S: Not much of anything with a slightly odd huskiness.

1.5 T: Once again Guinness forgot to add taste to their beer. I can't describe any flavors because there aren't any

3.0 M: Light body. Good carbonation. Relatively smooth with a goofy husk aftertaste.

2.0 D: This fucking sucks. I don't know how Guinness manages to make beer with no taste.

DavoleBomb, Apr 23, 2009
Guinness 250th Anniversary Stout from Guinness Ltd.