Guinness Extra Stout (Canada) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Canada)Guinness Extra Stout (Canada)

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: wordemupg on 09-05-2009

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
3.8/5  rDev +14.8%

3-19-2015. Dimpled Mug. Produced in New Brunswick: L4329NEZ - 0940. Not sure what that means. Reviewing here, rather than the (Original) because I know it was produced in Canada.

Appearance: Pours an opaque black with 1 finger tan, foamy head. Some sediment in bottle. No light goes through. Some carbonation. Nice lacing and retains a few islands of bubbles.

Aroma: Malty and roasty. A very clean smelling stout. Very little sweetness on the nose.

Taste: Roasty and bitter. Chocolate. Bitter dark chocolate. Not sweet.

Moutfeel: Very nice. Heftier than a draught. Similar texture to Edmund Fitzgerald. Not slick. Decent carbonation, not overcarbed and not flat.

Overall: Really surprised by the impressive lacing. This beer defines the category, and will never cease to be a classic. Dry, bitter, roasty, clean. A shame I came to this one so late. I tend to prefer slightly sweeter beers, so this won't be a regular, but I could see this being an every other year spot in the rotation. (1,001 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +23%

A- pitch black with a cola rim. Two fingers of creamy, khaki head. Great head retention and attractive lacing.

S- chocolate, caramel, roasted malt, and a hint of coffee.

T- creamy chocolate, caramel. There is a light smokiness to it. The finish shows some coffee and an herbal hop bitterness.

M- light bodied. Light rolling carbonation.

O- very Impressed. Recommended. (383 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

My dad handed one of these to me today. No freshness date that I can see. Poured from the fridge into my tulip glass.

L: Pours jet black with about a two-inch khaki head, quite dense, that sticks around for a good bit and leaves nice lacing on the glass.

S: Roasted and caramel malts in the nose, with a little bit of herbal earthiness at the edges. Not a particularly assertive bouquet.

T: Roasted malts at the front, with caramel malts sweetening things up a touch. The middle sees those malts flow into some hop brightness—somewhat herbal and grassy. There's a sense of corn in the mix and perhaps a touch of diacetyl. The back has more of those roasted malts and more hop bitterness than I was expecting. The bitter actually lingers for a bit in the aftertaste. Upon further tastings--and following what another reviewer mentioned--this taste does seem to register as tartness. There is also a distinct metallic note I’m picking up in the aftertaste.

F: Creamy, smooth, and medium-bodied. A shade more watery than I like in a stout, but this one is definitely easy to put back. Brings the bitter at the end and leaves it on the palate for a while.

O: I’m more accustomed to drinking Guinness draft (I don’t think I’ve had the extra stout in a number of years), so this was a welcomed refresher. This is a nice, approachable stout with good flavor (aside from those metallic notes) and more hop character that I would have expected. I would take this over the Guinness draft—in bottles or cans—any time. (1,525 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured into 25oz mug down the side progressing to a center pout.

LOOK: Very dark, basically black with a very slight brownish red hue when viewed through light. Nice dark tan head that lingers with a descent amount of lacing. A relatively heavy body appearance in general.

SMELL: Very prevalent roasted malt aroma with undertones of coffee & chocolate. Mostly present was that roasted malt smell.

TASTE: Malty, roasted malt was the dominant flavor by far. Nice bitterness that seemed to have hints of chocolate & coffee in the background. There also seemed to be a buttery aspect to it as well. Nothing overbearing, nice combination of flavors.

FEEL: Somewhat creamy mouth feel to it, but not nearly as hardy & full bodied as I expected from it's appearance. Wasn't watery, but had less weight to it than I anticipated.

OVERALL: I like stouts, so it should come as no surprise that I enjoyed drinking & rating this beer. It's highly available & modestly priced, so there's not much to complain about this beer other than I want another one.

CHEERS (1,053 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +31.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: black, perfect lacing with brown colors

Smell: no hop signature, malty

Taste: Balanced malt, amazing that no burnt products detectable with dark color.
Perfect for style.

Mouthfeel: nice body, carbonation great.

Overall: great, would get another bottle, Canadians pulled it off! Perfect for style. (314 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a Guinness pub glass

A: Pours deep brown with a slight ruby hue, and a creamy mocha brown head that hangs around for a while and laces properly well.

S: Roasted malt, dark fruit, a little coffee, and a light diacetyl buttery and butterscotch note.

T: Roasted malt, strong black coffee, hints of bittersweet chocolate, burnt toast, dark fruit, a bit earthy, light buttery diacetyl notes, and a slightly metallic kinda tart twang on the finish.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation.

O: I appreciate that it is thicker and has a bit more flavor than regular Guinness, but I wish some of the off flavors weren't there. I can do a pint or two once a year, but not much beyond that. Hopefully it's better on tap. (731 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Imported... from Canada ??!! When did they start doing this ? Wouldn't have known if I hadn't looked at the fine print on the back label.

Pours more like a Guinness on tap or one of those Guinness Draught cans then an actual Guinness Extra Stout bottle. Black cola body with a 1 one beige head .Slight lacing

The familiar Guinness smell, Lots of malt !

Tastes has all the familiar complexities of a Guinness extra stout right down to the slightly bitter finish

Feel is just a little off

Overall it wasn't bad. It had many Guinness extra stout qualities like taste and smell with a little more carbonation . But this wasn't like the bottles of extra stout I had 20 years ago... (688 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Simple and plain, but very drinkable stout. I've actually got to the point where the draught guinness tastes too creamy for me and now this is the one that I turn to when I want a good old guinnness. Sure it doesn't have the complexity of the american stouts, but it tastes great and that's all that really matters. One glaring flaw of this guy however is the mouthfeel, which is rather watery even compared to the draught (guinness lite) brother. (450 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -11.5%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. Some type of code on the back label, but I'm not entirely sure that it is a bottling code. No abv listed anywhere on the bottle either. I think I am reviewing the correct version of this beer - the back label reads "Imported by DIAGEO, Guinness USA, Stamford, CT. Brewed and bottled by Guinness Brewing Company, New Brunswick, Canada. Product of Canada". Either way, I believe this is my first encounter with any type of Guinness.

Poured into a Guinness St. James's Gate Dublin mug. #properglassware.

A - It pours a dark chocolate black-brown colored body. Some shades of mahogany show through when held to the light. Two fingers of frothy tan head with nice staying power. No lacing sticks to the glass as it goes down. Looks alright for what it is. 3.5

S - The aroma is neutral, boring, and uninspired. No coffee, roast, or chocolate presence like I have come to expect from a nice stout. 'Medicinal' isn't quite the right descriptor, but the lack of quality ingredients definitely comes through on the nose. 2.5

T - The taste follows the nose - the lack of quality ingredients shows. Lightly bitter, malty, and perhaps a bit of light roast, but there is really nothing to write home about here. Some notes of indistinct dark fruit & perhaps a minor alcohol note noticeable. 3

M - The feel is lightly bitter and sticky. Fluid, and medium-full bodied with good carbonation. Easy drinking for the style. 3

Overall, a tame representation of a what I have come to expect from a stout, but it was about what I was expecting it would be, considering how mass-produced this beer is. Not recommended.

Guinness Extra Stout -----3/5. (1,694 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -4.8%

Bottle poured in pint glass.
Appearance: Deep ruby colour, almost black. Lots of creamy lingering foam maybe a finger high.
Smell: Coffee and chocolate.
Taste: Relatively simplistic. Very sweet, with a moderately strong bitterness that lingers in the back. Initial taste is moderately burnt. Chocolate and coffee are most prominent in the aftertaste, with a hint of something I would pin as raisins. Very slight astringency in the aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Surprisingly watery compared to what one might expect. Still would count as full-bodied in comparison to most beer, but as a stout it is watery.
While not "bad", something labeled as Extra Stout definitely needs a fuller body and more complex flavour. (707 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

341 mL bottle from a six-pack picked up at TBS; bottled Sept. 20 2013 (I am assuming that they use the same packaging codes as Labatt, considering it is brewed at the same facility). This beer isn't very hard to find, but to be honest I've never really heard anything good about it so I've basically been avoiding it for years. Served slightly chilled.

Pours black as night, like you'd probably expect, topped with just over one finger's worth of creamy, light-tan coloured head. Its dissipation is a gradual process, and after five minutes or so I am left with a smooth, frothy cap and modest collar accompanied by a few swaths of lacing. Looks fine, but the aroma is beyond bland - caramel and roasted malts are the only things I can pick out. A little sweet, and extremely boring.

As weak as the aroma is, this isn't a bad-tasting beer. The roasted malts provide notes of caramel and coffee, but surprisingly enough it is the dark fruit flavours that are grabbing my attention - mild acidity reminiscent of raisins comes through mid-sip. This sourness is soon overpowered by the modestly earthy finish, which leaves a 'lukewarm, sweetened coffee' flavour behind on the palate. My biggest gripe with this beer is the disappointing mouthfeel - it is light-bodied and quite watery, with fairly mild carbonation that accentuates these flaws. Other than that, it's drinkable enough, I suppose.

Final Grade: 3.00, a C. Guinness Extra Stout has lived up to the anti-hype. Sessionable, but completely forgettable, this is an uninteresting stout that pales in comparison to virtually all craft/imported examples. It has more flavour than the nitrogenated draught can, which may very well scare off the uninitiated, and the overall flavour profile is unlikely to appeal to most BAs given its pedestrian qualities and annoying sweetness. I'll probably use the rest of these bottles in black-and-tan experiments, because I don't know if I have the patience to plow through the rest of them. (1,986 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a stubby, brown 12 ounce bottle into a shaker pint glass. A semi-aggressive pour produces a billowy stiff head that mushrooms over the top. This sticks around pretty well. After about 5 minutes, the head is reduced to about 1/2 to 3/4 inch but with chunks of froth clinging to the sides of the glass. The beer is a very dark brown and does not admit much if any light from a standard light bulb. I do see some ruddiness.

Lots of caramel aroma-flavors are detectable, along with some dark fruit, coffee and a hint of cherry, with a nutty and/or unsweetened cocoa bitterness in the aftertaste. I think I also detect a some mineral qualities (?) similar to some English beers- it just has that certain taste that I've noted in some British and Euro brews. It's lightly sweet and just a little bitter- less so than a typical stout. It has a full, satisfying mouthfeel despite the lighter than normal body.

I confess that I've not drank that much Guinness except for the regular stout in bottles and an occasional draft- this beer is actually quite common in my town because of the heavy Irish-American presence. This higher alcohol version is a bit thinner and much less creamy but still worthy of a try. (1,214 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -16%

Review from notes. Decided to try this one alongside the classic Draught version. Comes in stubby bottles which is kind of cool. Poured into a pint glass with vigor, producing a pillowy foamy head that is tan in color. Similar in color to Draught, but with even less red when held up to the light.

Has more of an intense, molasses type smell than expected. Which I don't like. The taste is stale and dusty molasses and malts, with the same thing as an aftertaste. Rich, chololatey, but little else.

Feels much fizzier than Draught, which is weird. In fact, this is fizzier than most stouts I've had.

Overall, I didn't really care for this. To tell all, it's not a style I care for. But this still leaves something to be desired for. (738 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -0.3%

341 ml bottle purchased from the singles bin at the LCBO for $2.00 CDN. Served well chilled into a pint glass.

Appearance - Dark cola brown nearly black in appearance. A few bubbles can be seen rising very close to the edge of the glass. The remainder can't be seen since the color is dark. Nice 1 finger of tan head is poured with good retention time. Would've expected something a little bigger and more billowy however.

Smell - Faint coffee aromas, but significantly sweeter smelling as well like caramel and Christmas baking. Also a bit of a merichino cherry aroma in there too. Pretty tasty but not overly potent.

Taste - The coffee is there with some earthiness too, but that's about it. Touch of smokey ash, but not really in a good way. Slight bit of leather too. Not bad flavored just not as appealing as the nose would otherwise present.

Mouthfeel - Dry slightly earthy finish. Medium-high carbonation. A bit watery makes this really easy drinking albeit not as flavorful as other Guinness products.

Overall - A bit disappointed in this, would much prefer the original draught beer, although this has a lightness that makes consuming multiple an option if you enjoy this. For me I will pass and move onto something more to my liking. (1,248 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours out thin and black but if held to the light you can see a dark brown hue. A fat loose head of tan foam that fell slowly to a film, then a small ring and left lace that was not permanent. Nose is malty and grassy. Sweet malt , light toast, light caramel and grassy hops. Then some dark fruits evolve. Prune and a bit of something grapey and quite sweet. Taste follows the nose all the way except the first thing to greet your palate is metallic. The malt is a bit awkward and husky but you begin to enjoy it as robust as you drink. The dark fruits are light and at first the prune is sour but that gives way to this grapey sweetness. Mouthfeel is light and has a nice dryness to the mid palate. Finishes a touch bitter and with that grass over top of a light caramel.

For a stout this was crisp and mild. With a bit of hop presence this is an easy drinking stout that gives some light buttered toast and a touch of caramel to a bit of dark fruits and finishes a bit tame but altogether pleasant. (1,012 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -8.8%

Picked this up for about $8.50 from Target today. Typically don't get many imports but I am officially bored with Target's unchanging selection and decided to give it a go. The last time I had this was probably in high school, and I remembered it being OK but thought it was too strong back then. Would I like it now? Hmmmm....

Before I get into it, let me say that the iconic Guinness packaging is attractive as always and made me feel a little nostalgic whenever I looked down into the shopping cart. Didn't I have the tee shirt? Anyway, poured it into a goblet when I got home, and it poured black with an airy looking tan head that fell almost immediately and left virtually no lacing on the glass. I scanned the bottle looking for the abv again and couldn't find it, but looked it up and found it to be a fiver, and was a little surprised. Usually when I read "extra" on something it makes me think it's going to be a little more potent than the ordinary stuff, but lesson learned, I guess. And hell, if that's the case, I'm having another.

Nose is nice, toasty and malty, but a little tame. The flavor is really where I take issue with this one. Starts off the like nose, roast, toast, malt, but then there is the back end which is something I've experienced in other beers that I don't like. The malts take on this kind of pungent grape juice like flavor to me, and I just can't get over it. I guess it's like a dark fruit maltiness, but it's just pruney to me. Kind of levels down in the second one, but I know it's there. My next issue is with the airy mouthfeel, but that's not as major and I actually think they do pretty well bringing in some structure with that 5%, I'm just used to a bit more heft. Other than that I think the carbonation is appropriate and the body is inoffensively medium.

Overall I think they did well for what's practically a light beer to me, and I do actually like that I can have a few of these, but I just can't bring myself to get over the grape juice finish, and I still don't understand why this is an "extra" stout. Bring on the Obsidian. (2,084 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Apearance - a thick black color, with a tan colored head.

Smell - a very sweet sugary smell, with caramel and toffee.

Taste - a sweet burnt malt taste, with coffee and caramel.

Mouthfeel - silky and a bit syrup like, thick beer.

Overall - I enjoyed this Irish stout. (270 characters)

3.39/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Compared to import genuine Guinness the Canadian big bottle seems to be more "drinkable" I mean this in the sense that I could picture college frats chugging this on some sort of bet, dare or challenge and it could be done with ease. Surely not as good as the traditional, but still good.
Appearance is very dark and syrup like
Smell is kind of weak and adjunct(y)
Taste has less of that stout tongue coating pleasure I am used to, but still very acceptable
Mouthfeel is still kind of weak and has that same adjunct feel
3.5 - 4 depending on my mood
Get one :D (562 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +31.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Reddish Black with creamy two finger head.

Smell: chocolate malt, and some roasted malt with a end note of hops

Taste: Smooth, malty, Chocolate malt, Little black satin malt. When chewed the hops come out alot more. Finishes with a note of coffee.

Mouthfeel: clean and smooth

Overall: Easy drinker, Even my wife likes it. I could drink a bomber of it easy. (372 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 341 mL bottle into what appeared to be a 12-ounce pilsner glass.

2-finger head (bear in mind the glass is small). Very solid black. I couldn't see any light at all through it, and the restaurant was not that dark.

In the beginning, the head had moderate smells of berries and raisins. As the beer warmed up and I progressed down my glass throughout the course of my meal, the smell improved to something somewhat richer. The scent is hard for me to describe, but it is typical of what I smell from a good beer that's warmed up.

Taste was bittersweet, in a nice way. I might say it tasted like beer mixed with the flavour of bitter raisins. I think I detected notes of cocoa. I more or less liked the overall taste, though it didn't wow me like some other fantastic beers did on my first try.

Mouthfeel: There was a mild tingle of carbonation.

Overall, a good beer. I'd buy this again to have with my meal if there were no craft offerings, or any amber beers available in the restaurant. (1,005 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

It is a pity that Guinness is basically a synonym for stout. I do not loathe the beer and actually view it as a reasonable session option, which probably sounds insane to beer novices (those novices who know what session means in any event). Seriously, drink more stouts, even other Irish drys, and you will see what I mean. The beer is that light and drinkable in quantity despite being considered the iconic Irish dry stout. Guinness in Canada pours up with a reasonable light mocha head and one is immediately struck by the reddish brown non-opaque appearance, not the black murk one would see with most microbrewed stouts and porters. The aroma is faint chocolate malt, a hint of burnt barley, bread, light roast coffee, a tinge of grape/muscat/random funkiness and little to no hops. The body is surprisingly thin and weak, almost feels like a mainstream Irish red ale like Kilkenny, very smooth and perhaps a tad watery. The taste is more bitter than the aroma but still the hops are subdued and the flavor is burnt toast, dilute dark chocolate, some vinous fruit but again its subtle, and a sweet black tea astringency. There is a touch of the vaunted Guinness sour which probably saves the beer from total mediocrity. If you are a stout fan you want to keep sipping to see what else emerges but alas there not much else and pretty soon the beer is gone. Its not terrible but its not great. Try it to pad your list but look elsewhere for better examples of dry stout. (1,474 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -11.5%

Guinness should be in the world record book for blandest stout. Seriously, just look at the thing - it isn't even really black! Light and clarity sneak through the beer's many soft brown spots and hardly any head materializes atop (this brown bottle version is obviously not nitrogen-infused). This has hardly more colour than my morning toast.

Many people wrongly assume that a beer that is dark will be heavy and that darker colour means richer flavour. This is not always the case and, in this instance, it's an outright untruth. Leave the knife and fork behind - this thing is better suited to a sippy cup. No roast, no bitterness, no real impression at all - it's a stout that could be right under your nose and you wouldn't know it.

An interesting fact about Guinness that most people don't know is that they tinker the recipe to cater to local palates. Depending on where in the world it's brewed, the formula might be sweeter or stronger, less dense or more yeasty, less dark or more carbonated, etc. This Canadian-brewed offering is the weakest I've tried, with hardly enough malt to feign even roasted grain (let alone chocolate or anything else).

While I'm relieved that my palate isn't drowning in foamy nitrogen, I'm equally put-off by the cloying corn syrup texture (not to mention the near total lack of roast and body). Guinness is a stout in the same way that I'm the world's best guitar player - I can call myself that but it doesn't mean I actually have the credentials. This feels less dense than water, something criminal for any beer but especially a stout.

Whether I prefer Labatt's version (brewed in Ontario) over the actual Irish-brewed import requires a blind taste-test I do not care to take. In truth, I don't care for either. Odd though it may sound, Nigeria, Ghana and Jamaica all have better Guinness on offer than cold-climate Canada. Maybe it's a case of not wanting what you have, but I doubt it; Caribbean, African and Belgian Guinness are simply formulated for more refined palates. (2,027 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 24 oz (or so) bottle into glass.

A: Great head. Screw the nitro tap, this pours fine as it is. Deep black body with off-white foam riding high on the glass.

S: Dark chocolate and caramel, slightly sweet aroma

T: A little bite and bitterness, trace hop presence although little or no flowery tones. Sweet, caramel and chocolate notes

M: Thick, slightly carbonated, a little bit of clinging to the tongue. It's oily in a positive way like a good stout should be.

I enjoyed it. I got a larger bottle for $3. It had two glasses worth in it. This is certainly best enjoyed in winter and in traditional Irish weather where it's never what we in North America consider "warm." It sticks to your insides and builds a fire there. It's a safe bet for a nice stout. I don't like it nearly as much as Magic Hat Heart of Darkness, but it's a solid bet if you want a nice dark beer that clings to your ribs. (911 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A- Very dark brown, foamy and fluffy tan head, bit of lacing on the glass. Looks like a typical stout.

S- Smokey, a bit of hops, but not that great.

T- A bit hoppier than expected, tastes like a cigar, but not in a good way, got better as it warmed up.

M- Creamy, meduim carbonation, not bad but not great.

O- Overrated beer, not worth it. A disappointment. (404 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

The smell is pretty good but the taste is another story.

It pours a black with a tiny dark tan head.

The smell rich with malt and some piney hopiness and metal.
The taste like an old cigar. It is to bold for my taste . I could only drank one or two of this beers. I still have four beers left in the cooler. I wish I can return them. This is not a good stout! (363 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Guinness Extra Stout (Canada) from Guinness Ltd.