Guinness Extra Stout (Canada) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Canada)Guinness Extra Stout (Canada)

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: wordemupg on 09-05-2009

to view more.
Ratings: 275 | Reviews: 94
Reviews by thehyperduck:
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

341 mL bottle from a six-pack picked up at TBS; bottled Sept. 20 2013 (I am assuming that they use the same packaging codes as Labatt, considering it is brewed at the same facility). This beer isn't very hard to find, but to be honest I've never really heard anything good about it so I've basically been avoiding it for years. Served slightly chilled.

Pours black as night, like you'd probably expect, topped with just over one finger's worth of creamy, light-tan coloured head. Its dissipation is a gradual process, and after five minutes or so I am left with a smooth, frothy cap and modest collar accompanied by a few swaths of lacing. Looks fine, but the aroma is beyond bland - caramel and roasted malts are the only things I can pick out. A little sweet, and extremely boring.

As weak as the aroma is, this isn't a bad-tasting beer. The roasted malts provide notes of caramel and coffee, but surprisingly enough it is the dark fruit flavours that are grabbing my attention - mild acidity reminiscent of raisins comes through mid-sip. This sourness is soon overpowered by the modestly earthy finish, which leaves a 'lukewarm, sweetened coffee' flavour behind on the palate. My biggest gripe with this beer is the disappointing mouthfeel - it is light-bodied and quite watery, with fairly mild carbonation that accentuates these flaws. Other than that, it's drinkable enough, I suppose.

Final Grade: 3.00, a C. Guinness Extra Stout has lived up to the anti-hype. Sessionable, but completely forgettable, this is an uninteresting stout that pales in comparison to virtually all craft/imported examples. It has more flavour than the nitrogenated draught can, which may very well scare off the uninitiated, and the overall flavour profile is unlikely to appeal to most BAs given its pedestrian qualities and annoying sweetness. I'll probably use the rest of these bottles in black-and-tan experiments, because I don't know if I have the patience to plow through the rest of them.

3.75/5  rDev +11.3%

Better than the American standard for Guinness

It's an average stout with a cool looking bottle. It's black. It has tan bubbles.

It is malty. A fine sweet almost grapey malty...

I wish for some hops.

It's drinkable. And it sure impresses the chicks. I have to explain to them that's like Budweiser...pretty darn average...don't expect a great beer. Expect a good one...well I'm alright with saying that...

2.78/5  rDev -17.5%

341ml bottle at the newish beer bar on Whyte Ave, aptly named the Pourhouse. I don't know what to think about this being listed under the "Ireland" section of a local beer bar, what with the "Made in Canada" label on the neck of the bottle.

This beer pours a clear, very dark brown colour, with fairly striking (in a negative sense) reddish highlights when the sun from the street quickly and readily backlights it, with one finger of weakly foamy, and mostly bubbly beige head, which leaves some sparse, disjointed specks of lace around the glass in its lingering wake.

It smells of mildly roasted grain, a sour corn syrup astringency, flat, chalky cocoa notes, a tart, stale apple fruitiness, and some strange earthy yeastiness. The taste is sour roasted caramel malt, a bit of dry chocolate, bitter week-old coffee, and some mild leafy, weedy hops.

The carbonation is moderate, and tacky at certain points, the body on the light side of medium weight, and quite edgy for any sort of um, 'stout', which precludes the normal spouting off about 'creamy', and 'smooth', at the very least. It finishes weirdly tart, what with the grain and the fruit both still leaning heavily thataway.

I have to wonder if this is what the real Extra Stout really tastes like. Being licensed by Labatt to be brewed in Canada does not fill me with any amount of certainty, or hope. Expectations and now preconceptions aside, this was indeed a chore to finish.

3.44/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Close to opaque but not pitch black. It really seems to be a very dark brown, that sort of brown that is so dark it looks black. The light creates highlights in the beer at the edges of my glass, making it's brown hue more visible. It's frothy cappucino head is plentiful and long lasting, and thickly coats the walls of my pint glass. I actually think this looks better than the nitro Guinness Draught. Mild roasty aroma smells of coffee. Tastes of black coffee with a pleasing, tangy, slightly fruity acidity. Finishes with a lingering light charred bitterness.

It doesn't feel as smooth as the Draught, but I think this has a bit more body to it. The smoothness provided by the nitro dispense can make it feel a bit weightier than it is, but I've always found the Draught very thin. This isn't heavy either, but it's also not as thin. It's definately not watery. I think this would work pretty well as a session stout. It's not great, but it works.

3.53/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was expecting really more from this beer. It pours a dark, very dark chocolate color. head is minimum with almost no retention. It has a toasted coffee smell. little bit of chocolate also.

It has a bitter taste, with a remarkable presence of hops. Not my favorite flavor for a beer.

3.06/5  rDev -9.2%

Nice pitch black liquid with some cream on top like it always has...

Some soft cocoa puffs and roasted malts in the nose

Very mild cereal, a tad sweet cocoa and a hint of bitter hops on the back of the tongue

Light medium body, with some burning carbonation

Overall its alright. As an american man with 3 Irish grandparents I wish our biggest beer from the Isle was a wopper of flavor but in the name of capitalism it sure aint what I hope it used to be

2.79/5  rDev -17.2%

The big bottles of this are cheap at the grocery store. Sometimes it's OK to drink one in the garage after work before going inside.

A: Always drunk right out of the bottle. The bottle is Guinness! So of course it looks cool!!

S: Less smell than from the smaller bottles. Still, it has a smell. Not bad. Not great.

T: About what you'd expect. Several cuts above the mass produced American beers. Classic Guinness Stout taste.

MF: Feels good. Like you are drinking a beer and not merely watered down alcohol.

Overall: Recommended when your short of time.

3.75/5  rDev +11.3%

Not as good as the British/Nigerian extra stouts.

3.12/5  rDev -7.4%

A beautiful appearance, two thick fingers of creamy light coco head with spectacular lacing coating the glass. It is deep brown near black.

Smell is molasses and burnt malt.

Taste follows the nose with wood and smoked meat.

I can't believe I considered this a full bodied brew in my youth, in reality in it is relatively light bodied and a little watery with little carbonation. Dry and somewhat bitter, it is still an easy drinking brew and sessionable.

Worth a go in a pinch it is almost worth grabbing just to admire its aesthetic qualities.

4.15/5  rDev +23.1%

Guiness extra stout for NA market is brewed just across the border in New Brunswick-- assuming the Moosehead brewery is the NA contractor. I buy one or two bombers/monthly even though the craft stout market is strong here. The appearance is dark color with a large head that pillows. clumps and laces. Smell is of dark roasted malt and hops. Taste is of the heavy roast malts, dark coffee/chocolate undertones and hops. Mouthfeel is medium and crisper than some. Overall I still very much appreciate a guinness extra stout even though it is "macro" for practical purposes. The fact it is brewed just up the way makes me think the stock is a bit fresher here.

3.19/5  rDev -5.3%

Hmm interesting. Brewed in Canada on the 1 pint 6 fl. oz bottle, guess I missed that. Let's see what we have here, lord knows I have had plenty of Guinness in my life. Poured into a nonic pint glass. I am assuming this is where the review goes.

Classic Guinness big head off the pour, kind of a darker light chocolate brown actually. Head is clumpy too. Sits on a dark classic body, looks good to me, quite good.

Bouquet is nothing to get excited about. Small malt, hint of a real small roast. Pleasant but kind of boring.

Taste is strangely light and bitter. Small roasted malt finish, a bit wet bodied, but cheap cigarettes and ash tray in the palate. Kind of medicinal numbing and tasting too.

Overall I am surprised by this bitter medicinal feeling, kind of was expecting this to be more enjoyable but when I examined it a little closer it really wasn't. It's totally drinkable I'll give it that.

2.32/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

The smell is pretty good but the taste is another story.

It pours a black with a tiny dark tan head.

The smell rich with malt and some piney hopiness and metal.
The taste like an old cigar. It is to bold for my taste . I could only drank one or two of this beers. I still have four beers left in the cooler. I wish I can return them. This is not a good stout!

3.13/5  rDev -7.1%

pours a near black with a frothy two finger head that fades pretty quickly but leaves behind nice cascading lace down the glass.

aroma of dark roasted malt, molasses sweetness, almost some caramel corn. hints of vanilla. an odd smidgen of amonia. More brown sugar. interesting.

taste is mellow... bitter earthy malt, burnt coffee, molasses and alcohol. boozy yet mild. burnt corn. vanilla. cola? fruity? hmm.

carbonated like whoah... i guess for the abv, it needs a bit of carb to help it along... but its fizzy, boozy, and dense yet thin all at once. kinda funky mouthfeel.

All in all, I'm digging it a bit more than draught, but can't say it's all that. That being said, I think for a dry irish stout, its pretty solid.

3.43/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is close to being near black in color and has amber visible at the bottom of the glass when it is held up to a bright light along with some slight hints of carbonation. It poured with a three quarter finger high tan head that died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and a good amount of lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: There are light aromas of dark malts in the nose along with some hints of roasted malts. The smell becomes a little stronger as the beer warms up.
T: The taste is similar to the smell, but has a little more roasted malts along with slight hints of toasted malts and sweet malt extracts. Minimal bitterness is present.
M: It feels a little shy of medium-bodied and somewhat airy on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation. The finish leaves a bit of dryness in your mouth.
O: This beer goes down quite easily and can be considered sessionable. I wouldn’t have a problem drinking a few of these in one sitting.

2.93/5  rDev -13.1%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. Some type of code on the back label, but I'm not entirely sure that it is a bottling code. No abv listed anywhere on the bottle either. I think I am reviewing the correct version of this beer - the back label reads "Imported by DIAGEO, Guinness USA, Stamford, CT. Brewed and bottled by Guinness Brewing Company, New Brunswick, Canada. Product of Canada". Either way, I believe this is my first encounter with any type of Guinness.

Poured into a Guinness St. James's Gate Dublin mug. #properglassware.

A - It pours a dark chocolate black-brown colored body. Some shades of mahogany show through when held to the light. Two fingers of frothy tan head with nice staying power. No lacing sticks to the glass as it goes down. Looks alright for what it is. 3.5

S - The aroma is neutral, boring, and uninspired. No coffee, roast, or chocolate presence like I have come to expect from a nice stout. 'Medicinal' isn't quite the right descriptor, but the lack of quality ingredients definitely comes through on the nose. 2.5

T - The taste follows the nose - the lack of quality ingredients shows. Lightly bitter, malty, and perhaps a bit of light roast, but there is really nothing to write home about here. Some notes of indistinct dark fruit & perhaps a minor alcohol note noticeable. 3

M - The feel is lightly bitter and sticky. Fluid, and medium-full bodied with good carbonation. Easy drinking for the style. 3

Overall, a tame representation of a what I have come to expect from a stout, but it was about what I was expecting it would be, considering how mass-produced this beer is. Not recommended.

Guinness Extra Stout -----3/5.

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a Guinness pub glass

A: Pours deep brown with a slight ruby hue, and a creamy mocha brown head that hangs around for a while and laces properly well.

S: Roasted malt, dark fruit, a little coffee, and a light diacetyl buttery and butterscotch note.

T: Roasted malt, strong black coffee, hints of bittersweet chocolate, burnt toast, dark fruit, a bit earthy, light buttery diacetyl notes, and a slightly metallic kinda tart twang on the finish.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation.

O: I appreciate that it is thicker and has a bit more flavor than regular Guinness, but I wish some of the off flavors weren't there. I can do a pint or two once a year, but not much beyond that. Hopefully it's better on tap.

4.2/5  rDev +24.6%

This was the first stout I ever had the privilege of tasting. Purchased illegally at Stan's Beverage in Asheville, NC, this was -to the 19 year old me-- the nectar of the gods. I had no idea that this brew might have been "counter to the style," all I cared about was that it was good beer. You know what? All these years later, that's still all I care about.

Poured into a chilled, wide-mouthed glass.

-Appearance 4.0: Poured out as a dark brown stream that filled the glass and quickly became jet black. A small, tan head appeared after pouring and quickly dissipated. No visible carbonation visible in the inky blackness.

-Smell 4.0: Beautiful bouquet. Toasted grains, chocolate, coffee, this is what a stout should smell like! Also, there's an almost indefinable "something" in this smell. Mouthwatering.

-Taste 4.5: Toasted grains, big barley and hop tastes and lots and lots of sweet smokiness and chocolate. There is a lot of depth of flavor to this beer, but it fades away quickly after swallowing, which is somewhat unique. Swallowing leads into a delicious, bitter aftertaste which is a real thirst-quencher. I also taste more toasted grains in the aftertaste. So good.

-Mouthfeel 4.0: Good mouthfeel with an excellent amount of carbonation and "juiciness." This is not a beer to grab after working outside, this is one to be savored and the first drink you get of it, you will understand that. Delicious aftertaste lasts for a long time.

-Overall 4.0: The word "reliable" is what first comes to mind. I've tasted stouts better than this, but this is the old reliable. Come to think of it, I like this word better than "reliable": "the standard." To me, Canadian Guinness is the benchmark by which all other stouts are measured.

2.31/5  rDev -31.5%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

Wow, I think I got a bum bottle, because there's absolutely no head here. At all. I've never seen anything like it. There's some bubbles around the edge, but zero head. The smell is roasted malts, chocolate, and coffee. Standard fare for a stout. The taste is about on par to normal Guinness, maybe with a touch more flavorful. There's a watery flavor here for sure, perhaps the Guinness calling card I can't get away from. Either that, or it's just shitty brewing from Labatt. Either way, roasted/sweet malts, coffee, chocolate, and water is what I get out of this.

The mouthfeel here is downright strange. I think I got a bottle with carbonation problems, it's quite flat. There's a little bit of a prickly factor here to remind me this should be carbonated, but not much. The drinkability also suffers. The lack of carbonation just makes this hard to get through, since it doesn't have a thick and creamy mouthfeel to make up for the lack of carbonation. Another fail in my quest to enjoy a Guinness. It's just not very good, at all. Next stop - FES!

3.6/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Apearance - a thick black color, with a tan colored head.

Smell - a very sweet sugary smell, with caramel and toffee.

Taste - a sweet burnt malt taste, with coffee and caramel.

Mouthfeel - silky and a bit syrup like, thick beer.

Overall - I enjoyed this Irish stout.

4.33/5  rDev +28.5%

A: poured from a 22 oz bottle into a nonic pint glass, pours a dark orange brown with a huge creamy tan head that lingers leaving good lacing, clear

S: smell of bitter hops, burnt toasted malt, coffee, floral bready quality

T: bitter hops up front that fades to dark roasted burnt malt, finish is dry and quite choppy with flavors of coffee

M: fuller bodied with a dry quality, less creamy than regular Guinness, stronger aftertaste

O: Guinness Draught's more robust heavier brother, it has more hop flavor and more alcohol content, flavors are similar but the texture is much different

3.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Guinness Extra Stout(Canada)@ 5.0% served cold from a 341 ml bottle
A-pours a dark cola brown with medium size tan head with very little retention leaving almost no lacing along the pint glass
S-dark roasted malt , coffee
T-toasted grains , some barley and hops add to a somewhat roasted bitterness finish
MF-moderate carbonation , crisp finish , just lacking something for a Guinness
Ov-a bit of a dissapointing brew , a maybe for trying again

cheers LampertLand

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%

Not a great head, one finger of light brown foam that went away in seconds. Little lace, less cling. Very dark brown color, matching a 39 on the SRM beer color chart. Aromas of butter, chocolate, caramel, vanilla, and molasses. Tastes of coffee, toffee, caramel, vanilla, dark chocolate, malt, and molasses. Good amount of body as this brew flows over my teeth and tongue. This is not quite as good as the same product from Ireland, but not shabby. Will drink this again

4.29/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 24 oz (or so) bottle into glass.

A: Great head. Screw the nitro tap, this pours fine as it is. Deep black body with off-white foam riding high on the glass.

S: Dark chocolate and caramel, slightly sweet aroma

T: A little bite and bitterness, trace hop presence although little or no flowery tones. Sweet, caramel and chocolate notes

M: Thick, slightly carbonated, a little bit of clinging to the tongue. It's oily in a positive way like a good stout should be.

I enjoyed it. I got a larger bottle for $3. It had two glasses worth in it. This is certainly best enjoyed in winter and in traditional Irish weather where it's never what we in North America consider "warm." It sticks to your insides and builds a fire there. It's a safe bet for a nice stout. I don't like it nearly as much as Magic Hat Heart of Darkness, but it's a solid bet if you want a nice dark beer that clings to your ribs.

3.94/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours a very dark almost black color, with a nice thick beige colored head.

The scent is coffee and notes of chocolate.

The taste is of bitter coffee, notes of dark chocolate and some sweet cream.

Full bodied, kind of chewy feel but pretty smooth, moderate carbonation.

I really enjoyed this beer, I though it had nice flavor and relatively easy to drink for the style.

to view more.
Guinness Extra Stout (Canada) from Guinness Ltd.