2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Guinness Extra Stout (Canada) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Canada)Guinness Extra Stout (Canada)

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: wordemupg on 09-05-2009)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 231 | Reviews: 85 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by tito42:
tito42

3.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a 1 pint, 6 oz. bottle. "Brewed in Canada" on label.

A: Nearly opaque with a very thick, foamy cocoa head. Great head retention and lacing.

S: Roasted malt with some chocolate and coffee notes.

T: Bitter, smoky barley, earthy hops, and a coffee flavor. Very flavorful but lacks balance.

M: Medium bodied and very creamy. A snap of hops at the end dries the mouth a bit but it doesn't linger.

D: It will be a pleasure working through 22 oz. of this beer. Seems stronger than 5.0%, this stout has bite. Not the most refined beer, but it has a lot of character.

I haven't had an Extra Stout from Ireland, but the Canadian product really fits the style description. I've read a lot of disappointment regarding Labatt brewing this beer, but it has a lot of character in my mind, doesn't taste like a macro at all. There is a hell of a lot more to this than Guinness Draught as available in the U.S.

02-27-2011 05:40:52 | More by tito42
hunterjames

04-10-2014 23:13:03 | More by hunterjames
Ryman777

Maine

04-07-2014 03:52:03 | More by Ryman777
thehyperduck

3.04/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

341 mL bottle from a six-pack picked up at TBS; bottled Sept. 20 2014 (I am assuming that they use the same packaging codes as Labatt, considering it is brewed at the same facility). This beer isn't very hard to find, but to be honest I've never really heard anything good about it so I've basically been avoiding it for years. Served slightly chilled.

Pours black as night, like you'd probably expect, topped with just over one finger's worth of creamy, light-tan coloured head. Its dissipation is a gradual process, and after five minutes or so I am left with a smooth, frothy cap and modest collar accompanied by a few swaths of lacing. Looks fine, but the aroma is beyond bland - caramel and roasted malts are the only things I can pick out. A little sweet, and extremely boring.

As weak as the aroma is, this isn't a bad-tasting beer. The roasted malts provide notes of caramel and coffee, but surprisingly enough it is the dark fruit flavours that are grabbing my attention - mild acidity reminiscent of raisins comes through mid-sip. This sourness is soon overpowered by the modestly earthy finish, which leaves a 'lukewarm, sweetened coffee' flavour behind on the palate. My biggest gripe with this beer is the disappointing mouthfeel - it is light-bodied and quite watery, with fairly mild carbonation that accentuates these flaws. Other than that, it's drinkable enough, I suppose.

Final Grade: 3.04, a C+. Guinness Extra Stout has lived up to the anti-hype. Sessionable, but completely forgettable, this is an uninteresting stout that pales in comparison to virtually all craft/imported examples. It has more flavour than the nitrogenated draught can, which may very well scare off the uninitiated, and the overall flavour profile is unlikely to appeal to most BAs given its pedestrian qualities and annoying sweetness. I'll probably use the rest of these bottles in black-and-tan experiments, because I don't know if I have the patience to plow through the rest of them.

04-07-2014 03:51:09 | More by thehyperduck
Tim9m1r

04-06-2014 22:50:07 | More by Tim9m1r
archyquaffer

Montana

3.51/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a stubby, brown 12 ounce bottle into a shaker pint glass. A semi-aggressive pour produces a billowy stiff head that mushrooms over the top. This sticks around pretty well. After about 5 minutes, the head is reduced to about 1/2 to 3/4 inch but with chunks of froth clinging to the sides of the glass. The beer is a very dark brown and does not admit much if any light from a standard light bulb. I do see some ruddiness.

Lots of caramel aroma-flavors are detectable, along with some dark fruit, coffee and a hint of cherry, with a nutty and/or unsweetened cocoa bitterness in the aftertaste. I think I also detect a some mineral qualities (?) similar to some English beers- it just has that certain taste that I've noted in some British and Euro brews. It's lightly sweet and just a little bitter- less so than a typical stout. It has a full, satisfying mouthfeel despite the lighter than normal body.

I confess that I've not drank that much Guinness except for the regular stout in bottles and an occasional draft- this beer is actually quite common in my town because of the heavy Irish-American presence. This higher alcohol version is a bit thinner and much less creamy but still worthy of a try.

03-27-2014 02:54:31 | More by archyquaffer

WesMantooth

03-17-2014 23:09:46 | More by WesMantooth
DagenhamDavis

2.75/5  rDev -18.4%

Review from notes. Decided to try this one alongside the classic Draught version. Comes in stubby bottles which is kind of cool. Poured into a pint glass with vigor, producing a pillowy foamy head that is tan in color. Similar in color to Draught, but with even less red when held up to the light.

Has more of an intense, molasses type smell than expected. Which I don't like. The taste is stale and dusty molasses and malts, with the same thing as an aftertaste. Rich, chololatey, but little else.

Feels much fizzier than Draught, which is weird. In fact, this is fizzier than most stouts I've had.

Overall, I didn't really care for this. To tell all, it's not a style I care for. But this still leaves something to be desired for.

03-17-2014 02:17:58 | More by DagenhamDavis
amvrana

03-07-2014 20:37:20 | More by amvrana
DenisKolkin

3.28/5  rDev -2.7%

341 ml bottle purchased from the singles bin at the LCBO for $2.00 CDN. Served well chilled into a pint glass.

Appearance - Dark cola brown nearly black in appearance. A few bubbles can be seen rising very close to the edge of the glass. The remainder can't be seen since the color is dark. Nice 1 finger of tan head is poured with good retention time. Would've expected something a little bigger and more billowy however.

Smell - Faint coffee aromas, but significantly sweeter smelling as well like caramel and Christmas baking. Also a bit of a merichino cherry aroma in there too. Pretty tasty but not overly potent.

Taste - The coffee is there with some earthiness too, but that's about it. Touch of smokey ash, but not really in a good way. Slight bit of leather too. Not bad flavored just not as appealing as the nose would otherwise present.

Mouthfeel - Dry slightly earthy finish. Medium-high carbonation. A bit watery makes this really easy drinking albeit not as flavorful as other Guinness products.

Overall - A bit disappointed in this, would much prefer the original draught beer, although this has a lightness that makes consuming multiple an option if you enjoy this. For me I will pass and move onto something more to my liking.

02-25-2014 23:43:06 | More by DenisKolkin
utopiajane

3.44/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours out thin and black but if held to the light you can see a dark brown hue. A fat loose head of tan foam that fell slowly to a film, then a small ring and left lace that was not permanent. Nose is malty and grassy. Sweet malt , light toast, light caramel and grassy hops. Then some dark fruits evolve. Prune and a bit of something grapey and quite sweet. Taste follows the nose all the way except the first thing to greet your palate is metallic. The malt is a bit awkward and husky but you begin to enjoy it as robust as you drink. The dark fruits are light and at first the prune is sour but that gives way to this grapey sweetness. Mouthfeel is light and has a nice dryness to the mid palate. Finishes a touch bitter and with that grass over top of a light caramel.

For a stout this was crisp and mild. With a bit of hop presence this is an easy drinking stout that gives some light buttered toast and a touch of caramel to a bit of dark fruits and finishes a bit tame but altogether pleasant.

02-23-2014 13:30:44 | More by utopiajane

12-20-2013 20:15:14 | More by WildMaverick1200
BeerWizard

Colorado

2.99/5  rDev -11.3%

Picked this up for about $8.50 from Target today. Typically don't get many imports but I am officially bored with Target's unchanging selection and decided to give it a go. The last time I had this was probably in high school, and I remembered it being OK but thought it was too strong back then. Would I like it now? Hmmmm....

Before I get into it, let me say that the iconic Guinness packaging is attractive as always and made me feel a little nostalgic whenever I looked down into the shopping cart. Didn't I have the tee shirt? Anyway, poured it into a goblet when I got home, and it poured black with an airy looking tan head that fell almost immediately and left virtually no lacing on the glass. I scanned the bottle looking for the abv again and couldn't find it, but looked it up and found it to be a fiver, and was a little surprised. Usually when I read "extra" on something it makes me think it's going to be a little more potent than the ordinary stuff, but lesson learned, I guess. And hell, if that's the case, I'm having another.

Nose is nice, toasty and malty, but a little tame. The flavor is really where I take issue with this one. Starts off the like nose, roast, toast, malt, but then there is the back end which is something I've experienced in other beers that I don't like. The malts take on this kind of pungent grape juice like flavor to me, and I just can't get over it. I guess it's like a dark fruit maltiness, but it's just pruney to me. Kind of levels down in the second one, but I know it's there. My next issue is with the airy mouthfeel, but that's not as major and I actually think they do pretty well bringing in some structure with that 5%, I'm just used to a bit more heft. Other than that I think the carbonation is appropriate and the body is inoffensively medium.

Overall I think they did well for what's practically a light beer to me, and I do actually like that I can have a few of these, but I just can't bring myself to get over the grape juice finish, and I still don't understand why this is an "extra" stout. Bring on the Obsidian.

12-20-2013 01:24:57 | More by BeerWizard
Captain_Komamura

3.61/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Apearance - a thick black color, with a tan colored head.

Smell - a very sweet sugary smell, with caramel and toffee.

Taste - a sweet burnt malt taste, with coffee and caramel.

Mouthfeel - silky and a bit syrup like, thick beer.

Overall - I enjoyed this Irish stout.

12-19-2013 21:55:37 | More by Captain_Komamura
beaverapproved

12-12-2013 01:45:36 | More by beaverapproved
Guinness Extra Stout (Canada) from Guinness Ltd.