Guinness Extra Stout (Canada) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Canada)Guinness Extra Stout (Canada)

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: wordemupg on 09-05-2009)
1.35/5  rDev -59.9%

This is my 4th trial with Guinness in the 40 years that I've been drinking beer.
After the first few sips, this is my 4th failed attempt at liking Guinness.

It's black with a tan head.
I'm met with very little aroma, very little flavor, just a slight bitterness similar to charred food off the grill.
The only thing I can come up with that is nice to say is that I like the shape of the bottle and the label is very well done.

This is easily the worst beer I've drunk since the last time I tried Guinness.

industrialswill, Nov 22, 2010
1.75/5  rDev -48.1%

shade13, Jul 27, 2012

650ml bomber. I mistakenly bought this thinking it was the new foreign extra stout.

It actually has a decent appearance, if a bit inorganic. It is a thick,dark brown with a foamy off-white head that sticks for a good while.

It smells like circus peanuts.

The flavor is weak, with a hint of roastiness and a hint of fruitiness. There is also a hint of green bean.

It is pretty carbonated.

Overall another failure from Guinness, though as far as Irish Irish dry stouts go this might be the best example.

crossovert, Oct 20, 2010

terence, Jun 17, 2012
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Mar 27, 2012
2.13/5  rDev -36.8%

Pours an ink black with a tiny dark tan head. The smell is richly malty, with some piney hopiness, a touch of sweetness, and just the tiniest hint of metal.
The taste is malty and sweet with some really harsh astringency that is somewhat metallic in nature. It's really quite gross. This is not a good stout! Drink anything but this.

ElCommodoro, Sep 08, 2011
2.3/5  rDev -31.8%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

Wow, I think I got a bum bottle, because there's absolutely no head here. At all. I've never seen anything like it. There's some bubbles around the edge, but zero head. The smell is roasted malts, chocolate, and coffee. Standard fare for a stout. The taste is about on par to normal Guinness, maybe with a touch more flavorful. There's a watery flavor here for sure, perhaps the Guinness calling card I can't get away from. Either that, or it's just shitty brewing from Labatt. Either way, roasted/sweet malts, coffee, chocolate, and water is what I get out of this.

The mouthfeel here is downright strange. I think I got a bottle with carbonation problems, it's quite flat. There's a little bit of a prickly factor here to remind me this should be carbonated, but not much. The drinkability also suffers. The lack of carbonation just makes this hard to get through, since it doesn't have a thick and creamy mouthfeel to make up for the lack of carbonation. Another fail in my quest to enjoy a Guinness. It's just not very good, at all. Next stop - FES!

shand, Jan 30, 2011
2.3/5  rDev -31.8%

Reviewed from notes.

A. The same dark brown color as usual, but only has a loose-bubbled finger of light cream-colored foam for a head, and no lacing at all.

S,T. Mildly toasted and sweet bready malts and a whisper of chocolate aroma/flavor... Not as strong as I've come to expect from well-made stouts... Severely lacking in charred or black coffee character. And this is supposed to be the "Extra" version??? Not enough bittering in the finish, either.

M. Lighter body with highly active carbonation. Unusually 'crisp' texture for a stout because of this, and I'm not certain that the high levels of fizziness match up well with the flavor profile.

WastingFreetime, Mar 20, 2012
2.31/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

The smell is pretty good but the taste is another story.

It pours a black with a tiny dark tan head.

The smell rich with malt and some piney hopiness and metal.
The taste like an old cigar. It is to bold for my taste . I could only drank one or two of this beers. I still have four beers left in the cooler. I wish I can return them. This is not a good stout!

bbluemzbeer, Mar 27, 2013
2.35/5  rDev -30.3%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into an oversized wine glass:

A- Oily black with a thick white head that dissipates quickly

S- smells of espresso with malt and hop notes as well

T- not a whole lot of flavor to be honest. Light hop taste with a heavy stout taste of malt; light coffee taste, but again, doesn't taste like much

M- Smooth mouthfeel, but carbonation is definitely subpar

O- Very disappointed in this beer; flavorless, which is definitely not what I want out of a stout

MrDonQuixote, Aug 30, 2011
2.38/5  rDev -29.4%

A: Pitch black. 1-2 finger slightly tan head. Great lacing. Mild carbonation bubbles in head. Good head retention.

S: Surprisingly has a grape smell. Slight sweetness. Light roasted malt. Little chocolate bringing up the rear.

T: Very sour. Kinda metallic. Little cola. A grapefruit or orange tang to it. Very light roasted malt.

M: Very light-bodied for a stout. Dry. To thin.

O: This review started with a good looking beer... and went straight down hill from that! Being only the second Stout I've had (the first being Deschutes' Obsidian Stout) I think I had high hopes for this. Heard so much about Guinness. Not impressed at all. Don't even want to finish the bottle really. Will not buy again. I will give other Guinness' a shot though.

doughanson78, Jun 04, 2011
2.42/5  rDev -28.2%

12 oz bottle I purchased from Hollinghead's in Orange, CA. Was excited to try it until I saw the poor reviews. Poured in a pint glass, reviewed live.

A- Quarter inch tan head. Small bubbles and abysmal retention. This isn't good. Dark cola brown, not the ruby I was hoping for.

S- Big whomp of malt and chocolate. Strong smell but not tremendously appealing.

T- Hit with the bitter chocolate and coffee tones after the malt overwhelms you. Hmm. Not terrible. Kind of has something to it.

M- Extremely carbonated, to the point of excess. Medium feel and a smooth finish.

O- After I've had the original Guinness in Dublin, how can I be anything but disappointed? Won't buy again.

Murrhey, Jan 21, 2012

PopGun, Mar 19, 2012

russwilliam, Mar 19, 2014

Danny1217, Feb 04, 2012
2.53/5  rDev -24.9%

341ml bottle poured into a 16oz pint glass.

A - Pours with a thick mocha head, about a finger-and-a-half. The actual color is near pitch-black, with just the slightest touch of red when held up to the light. As the head begins to recede it's already leaving lacing down the glass.

S - Roasted malt and skunky-ness(?..) are immediately apparent. Meh.

T - The actual taste of the beer says a whole lot more than the aroma. Really heavy on the roasted malt upfront. Molasses, burnt coffee and a touch of sourness.

M - Fairly heavy body with medium carbonation. Works well with the style.

D - I'm not a huge fan of stouts, and this one isn't really an exception. Less-than-enjoyable flavor really does it in. Though I have to admit, it looks pretty good.

Converge, May 23, 2011
2.53/5  rDev -24.9%

12 oz. bottle into a Perfect Pint

A: Pretty typical, and fairly attractive. Mostly black with with rounded brown edges beneath a pillow-y, just tan head. Not at all like the Guinness nitro head, but still pretty. Head disappeared quickly.

S: Surprisingly malty nose--sweet malt, not roasted barley. Of course it's fairly roasty, too, but I'm surprised by its sweetness. It's very one-note and simple, however. Not really much hops on the nose.

T: The malty body finishes a bit acrid and metallic. A tannin-heavy taste isn't helping the otherwise alright maltiness. It tastes like flat Coke drunk through a copper straw. It could be alright without that aftertaste.

M: Pretty much what you'd expect--smooth, low-to-medium carbonation. I enjoy regular Guinness on occasion, and this lacks the very fine mouthfeel of that on nitro, but it's pretty much to style, I think.

O: I prefer regular Guinness or FES, but this is not as awful as I recall it being when I first had it. I've definitely had worse stouts from other brewers, and worse beers from nasty, dirty taplines. Overall, if you're in a pinch, it'll trump most BMC options.

wschmit, Mar 17, 2011
2.65/5  rDev -21.4%

Compared to Guinness on tap in Ireland this beer is very, very disappointing. Perhaps back in the days before craft beers took off, this was a great alternative to the big U.S. breweries. No days it really doesn't stand up to the amazing stock of microbrew stouts available. That said, sometimes a pint of Guinness just hits the spot.

Favorite beers (for comparison, after all taste preferences are subjective): Elysian's Daedalus Irish Stout, Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar, Allagash's White Ale, New Belgium's 1554, Full Sail's Wassail, etc. Beers I don't like: IPAs (with few exceptions)

GordonofSeattle, Mar 25, 2012
2.73/5  rDev -19%

A: Pours a very dark brown with ruby highlights when held to the light. Has a couple fingers worth of tan head. Settles to a thin cap and left some big chunks of lacing.

S: Roasted malt with almost a skunky sour smell.

T: It's actually really sour. There's some roasted malt in there but wow the sourness takes over.

M: Medium carbonation with a medium body.

O: I was hoping for a better result with this Guinness since i'm not a big fan of the normal one. But the sour taste to this beer wasn't exactly what I was looking for. The body was a major improvement though since I hate the watery body of the normal Guinness in the nitro can.

marty21, Mar 17, 2011

RandyFlameThrower, Aug 03, 2014

gtermi, Nov 09, 2012

Whatup14, Nov 19, 2013

thomseye, Feb 20, 2014

chrisroarshack, Nov 14, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -18.4%

Review from notes. Decided to try this one alongside the classic Draught version. Comes in stubby bottles which is kind of cool. Poured into a pint glass with vigor, producing a pillowy foamy head that is tan in color. Similar in color to Draught, but with even less red when held up to the light.

Has more of an intense, molasses type smell than expected. Which I don't like. The taste is stale and dusty molasses and malts, with the same thing as an aftertaste. Rich, chololatey, but little else.

Feels much fizzier than Draught, which is weird. In fact, this is fizzier than most stouts I've had.

Overall, I didn't really care for this. To tell all, it's not a style I care for. But this still leaves something to be desired for.

DagenhamDavis, Mar 17, 2014
Guinness Extra Stout (Canada) from Guinness Ltd.