Guinness Extra Stout (Canada) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Canada)Guinness Extra Stout (Canada)

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: wordemupg on 09-05-2009

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 271 | Reviews: 92
2.78/5  rDev -17.3%

Review from notes. Decided to try this one alongside the classic Draught version. Comes in stubby bottles which is kind of cool. Poured into a pint glass with vigor, producing a pillowy foamy head that is tan in color. Similar in color to Draught, but with even less red when held up to the light.

Has more of an intense, molasses type smell than expected. Which I don't like. The taste is stale and dusty molasses and malts, with the same thing as an aftertaste. Rich, chololatey, but little else.

Feels much fizzier than Draught, which is weird. In fact, this is fizzier than most stouts I've had.

Overall, I didn't really care for this. To tell all, it's not a style I care for. But this still leaves something to be desired for.

3.3/5  rDev -1.8%

341 ml bottle purchased from the singles bin at the LCBO for $2.00 CDN. Served well chilled into a pint glass.

Appearance - Dark cola brown nearly black in appearance. A few bubbles can be seen rising very close to the edge of the glass. The remainder can't be seen since the color is dark. Nice 1 finger of tan head is poured with good retention time. Would've expected something a little bigger and more billowy however.

Smell - Faint coffee aromas, but significantly sweeter smelling as well like caramel and Christmas baking. Also a bit of a merichino cherry aroma in there too. Pretty tasty but not overly potent.

Taste - The coffee is there with some earthiness too, but that's about it. Touch of smokey ash, but not really in a good way. Slight bit of leather too. Not bad flavored just not as appealing as the nose would otherwise present.

Mouthfeel - Dry slightly earthy finish. Medium-high carbonation. A bit watery makes this really easy drinking albeit not as flavorful as other Guinness products.

Overall - A bit disappointed in this, would much prefer the original draught beer, although this has a lightness that makes consuming multiple an option if you enjoy this. For me I will pass and move onto something more to my liking.

3.46/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours out thin and black but if held to the light you can see a dark brown hue. A fat loose head of tan foam that fell slowly to a film, then a small ring and left lace that was not permanent. Nose is malty and grassy. Sweet malt , light toast, light caramel and grassy hops. Then some dark fruits evolve. Prune and a bit of something grapey and quite sweet. Taste follows the nose all the way except the first thing to greet your palate is metallic. The malt is a bit awkward and husky but you begin to enjoy it as robust as you drink. The dark fruits are light and at first the prune is sour but that gives way to this grapey sweetness. Mouthfeel is light and has a nice dryness to the mid palate. Finishes a touch bitter and with that grass over top of a light caramel.

For a stout this was crisp and mild. With a bit of hop presence this is an easy drinking stout that gives some light buttered toast and a touch of caramel to a bit of dark fruits and finishes a bit tame but altogether pleasant.

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

3.02/5  rDev -10.1%

Picked this up for about $8.50 from Target today. Typically don't get many imports but I am officially bored with Target's unchanging selection and decided to give it a go. The last time I had this was probably in high school, and I remembered it being OK but thought it was too strong back then. Would I like it now? Hmmmm....

Before I get into it, let me say that the iconic Guinness packaging is attractive as always and made me feel a little nostalgic whenever I looked down into the shopping cart. Didn't I have the tee shirt? Anyway, poured it into a goblet when I got home, and it poured black with an airy looking tan head that fell almost immediately and left virtually no lacing on the glass. I scanned the bottle looking for the abv again and couldn't find it, but looked it up and found it to be a fiver, and was a little surprised. Usually when I read "extra" on something it makes me think it's going to be a little more potent than the ordinary stuff, but lesson learned, I guess. And hell, if that's the case, I'm having another.

Nose is nice, toasty and malty, but a little tame. The flavor is really where I take issue with this one. Starts off the like nose, roast, toast, malt, but then there is the back end which is something I've experienced in other beers that I don't like. The malts take on this kind of pungent grape juice like flavor to me, and I just can't get over it. I guess it's like a dark fruit maltiness, but it's just pruney to me. Kind of levels down in the second one, but I know it's there. My next issue is with the airy mouthfeel, but that's not as major and I actually think they do pretty well bringing in some structure with that 5%, I'm just used to a bit more heft. Other than that I think the carbonation is appropriate and the body is inoffensively medium.

Overall I think they did well for what's practically a light beer to me, and I do actually like that I can have a few of these, but I just can't bring myself to get over the grape juice finish, and I still don't understand why this is an "extra" stout. Bring on the Obsidian.

3.6/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Apearance - a thick black color, with a tan colored head.

Smell - a very sweet sugary smell, with caramel and toffee.

Taste - a sweet burnt malt taste, with coffee and caramel.

Mouthfeel - silky and a bit syrup like, thick beer.

Overall - I enjoyed this Irish stout.

3.39/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Compared to import genuine Guinness the Canadian big bottle seems to be more "drinkable" I mean this in the sense that I could picture college frats chugging this on some sort of bet, dare or challenge and it could be done with ease. Surely not as good as the traditional, but still good.
Appearance is very dark and syrup like
Smell is kind of weak and adjunct(y)
Taste has less of that stout tongue coating pleasure I am used to, but still very acceptable
Mouthfeel is still kind of weak and has that same adjunct feel
3.5 - 4 depending on my mood
Get one :D

4.36/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Reddish Black with creamy two finger head.

Smell: chocolate malt, and some roasted malt with a end note of hops

Taste: Smooth, malty, Chocolate malt, Little black satin malt. When chewed the hops come out alot more. Finishes with a note of coffee.

Mouthfeel: clean and smooth

Overall: Easy drinker, Even my wife likes it. I could drink a bomber of it easy.

3.54/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 341 mL bottle into what appeared to be a 12-ounce pilsner glass.

2-finger head (bear in mind the glass is small). Very solid black. I couldn't see any light at all through it, and the restaurant was not that dark.

In the beginning, the head had moderate smells of berries and raisins. As the beer warmed up and I progressed down my glass throughout the course of my meal, the smell improved to something somewhat richer. The scent is hard for me to describe, but it is typical of what I smell from a good beer that's warmed up.

Taste was bittersweet, in a nice way. I might say it tasted like beer mixed with the flavour of bitter raisins. I think I detected notes of cocoa. I more or less liked the overall taste, though it didn't wow me like some other fantastic beers did on my first try.

Mouthfeel: There was a mild tingle of carbonation.

Overall, a good beer. I'd buy this again to have with my meal if there were no craft offerings, or any amber beers available in the restaurant.

3.25/5  rDev -3.3%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Guinness Extra Stout (Canada) from Guinness Ltd.