Kaliber - Guinness Ltd.

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-07-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kaliber Alström Bros
3.13/5  rDev +27.8%

Out of a bottle this 'beer' was a pale amber color with good clarity and good rising carbonation. The head was two fingers of of-white foam that became a thin cap and left good lacing. The aroma was of cereal grains and sweet malt - think Product 19 Cereal. The flavors were dry at first and the yeast was distinctly similar to Guinness . Then it got sweeter with the cereal grains, a hint of toasted malt and a rather European taste like salt water taffy. The mouthfeel was semi-smooth, the body light and the carbonation medium. As far as the non-alcoholics go, this is probably one of the best.

thekevlarkid, Apr 17, 2009
3.1/5  rDev +26.5%

Presentation: 12oz brown bottle, pop-top; this says it was brewed in the UK; that surprised me

Appearance: Light burnt orange beer with a white cap which is halfway decent for a near beer and fades to a thick ring

Smell: Dead on like unfermented homebrew, about 45 minutes into the boil; ultra fresh, husky grain, just a hint of hops

Taste: See above

Mouthfeel: Light, semi-crisp, and watery

Drinkability: Pretty decent

Conclusion: Since I'm still on my Lenten kick, this is (sadly) the only beer I get to enjoy on St. Patty's day...that being said, for what it is, it's not bad. The only other NA beer I've tried to date is Odouls; where Odouls is very similar to many light macro lagers (but fairly lacking in flavor), Kaliber has much more flavor but it's less "beerish" and more "fresh wort". All in all, not too bad for what it is.

BedetheVenerable, Mar 18, 2009
1.88/5  rDev -23.3%

Reviewed 3/12/2009 (Tap @ Flying Saucer, Houston, TX):

Pours a pretty clear orangish off-brown color body, with a small creamy off-white head. Funky aroma, some maltiness and some funk. Berry aroma. Blueberry. Strong ripe blueberry pancake smell. Tastes like blueberries, very carbonated. Thick carbonated taste, soda water harsh. Light sweet taste. Better than water? Maybe.

jujubeast6000, Mar 14, 2009
3.28/5  rDev +33.9%

A-Deep gold/tan color with a big creamy white head...slighty hazed..

S-Doesn't smell much like a complete beer...has some worty characteristics....sugary...bready...I had this at a bar the other day and thought it had some bock like notes....not getting that as strong today but it leans that direction.

T-Has a sweet worty flavor...bready...

M-Feels watery and thin despite the sweeter flavors and aroma...has the feel of an NA when you drink it.

D-I thought I really liked this at the bar the other day and it is fine...much better than a Sharps or O'Douls, etc...this has a nice sweeter flavor and if you try real hard you might be able to convince yourself this has some "bock" like notes. Overall though the thin body and watery texture keeps this from being a great NA...decent...not bad....a nice change up if you don't want the alcohol but I'd much prefer the Beck's NA which is actually very good.

ZAP, Feb 08, 2009
2.15/5  rDev -12.2%

Appearance: A dark golden amber color beer that had a one finger head. The head dissipated to a 1/8 quarter inch white ring around the ale glass. The clarity of the beer is mostly clear with a slight cloudiness. It just seems there is some some particles suspended in the beer.

Nose: It smells like cheerios, and wheat bread. with a hint of citrus and floral.

Taste: The beer taste like Wheat bread/cheerios there is a funky note that seems like a light molasses and citrus note.

Overall: God forbid the human that like this shit. It is not good. There is a carbonation mouth feel with little to no finish except for that funky note.

colts9016, Dec 27, 2008
2.13/5  rDev -13.1%

Review #300

Poured a 12oz bottle into my New Belgium globe. This beer pours a deep caramel copper with a 2 inch white head that left no lacing as the beer recedes. The aroma is pretty vacant from the beer. There is just a slight caramel note if you really focus. This beer is pretty void for flavor also. Slight toffee notes with a club soda flavor intermingled. The mouthfeel is dry and unassuming. This is probably one of the better beers for a NA but give me the booze. I think that the process of extracting the alcohol really took a lot out of the beer. Judging by the color, I actually thought I was in for a treat.

hwwty4, Dec 08, 2008
2.4/5  rDev -2%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a little dimpled Guinness mug.

Appearance: The body had a nice light honey color with a small creamy off white colored head. The head fades quickly leaving nothing behind.

Smell: Its aroma was light and some buttery, sweet and bready notes.

Taste/Mouth feel: It has a light body and a thin watery texture with odd buttery and grainy flavored malt. Also there is a mild and bland over cooked hop flavor that sneaks into the finish. The carbonation is lifeless and almost flat.

Notes: Overall it had more beer flavor than I expected (similar to a weak watered down English Bitter) but I still wouldn't seek this one out.

generallee, Oct 21, 2008
2.1/5  rDev -14.3%

This bottle was left in my fridge by my father-in-law on his last visit, so I decided to pop it and see what it tasted like. Pours almost still with no real head. Light brownish amber. Smells like Wasa crackers, very crackery with rye and pumpernickel aromas. Dry malt. Light tasting with some grainy sourness, more of the crackery flavor and some mouthcoating sweetness at the end that is a bit cloying. Don't think I could drink a whole one.

Georgiabeer, Jul 06, 2008
1.5/5  rDev -38.8%

I had high hopes for Kaliber, since it's brewed by the makers of Guinness. Alas, I was disappointed. Kaliber boasts a strong, sickly sweet aroma of wort, kind of a hay-like barnyard smell. It tastes sweet too, with hints of corn, but mostly just like sugar water with hay in it. In a word: gross.

dewalt, Jun 29, 2008

Appearance - Clear dark gold. Fairly tall white head that disappears quickly into a thin film.

Smell - Light honey and molasses scent. Not at all difficult to discern, unlike many low alcohol beers.

Taste - Watered down flavor - as one would expect. Delivers on the scent. Light honey and molasses flavor. No indication of hops. Not spectacular, but not unpleasant.

Mouthfeel - Light. Very crisp.

Drinkability - This beats most low alcohol beer simply by providing something to taste. Doesn't exactly deliver much in the way of beer flavor - but you can't have everything. I'd pick this over the other low alcohols I've tried.

scaliasux, Apr 15, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +73.5%

A truly great beer... has a delicious flavour for a reduced alcohol beer .. the foam level is awesome, lower on the lacing ... flavour is good, even fooled a friend thinking this was a regular beer ... wonderful on a warm day when alcohol is not an option!!

Onslow, Apr 06, 2008
1.05/5  rDev -57.1%

Very pale clearish, orange amber color. Frothy white head that faded quickly. Oddly sweet malt smell. kind of plasticy bandaid-ish, medicinal sweetness. Tastes like a honey dipped band-aid. Strange, unnatural, and I would rather have a coke poured in a beer bottle if I wanted people to think I was drinking beer without drinking beer. Awful. I can't believe the ratings are even this high.

JDV, Feb 06, 2008

The beer emerges from the 12 ounce bottle a limpid gold with a depleted semi-creamy white head that evaporates leaving a patchy coating of lace to almost cover the glass. Nose is sweet malted grain, fresh and crisp to the senses, start lightly sweet with a decent grain presence, top is light in feel. Finish is prickly in its acidity, the hops present and light as one would expect, quite dry aftertaste, a drinkable brew for its type. Do to a recent recurring, medical problem, It satisfies my taste for beer, not the alcohol, I just like the taste, besides how much water and Gatorade can one person take? lol

Gusler, Oct 16, 2007
2.78/5  rDev +13.5%

A - This amber brew sports a small but decent-looking off-white head, and leaves a very small amount of alce on the glass.

S - Smells sweet and grainy with a little trace of hops and lots of caramelish malts. Syrupy and sweet to my nose.

T - This is pretty damn malty and tasty for an NA brew! It still doesn't quite taste like beer, but if I think of it as just another beverage and not an actual beer it's damn good! The main flavor component is carmel malt with some dry and tangy aproximation of hop bitterness.

M - On the lighter side of medium bodied, but very solid and hefty for the style. This finishes sandy, dry, and slightly bitter with a lingering aftertaste that makes me want another sip.

D - Loads of carbonation (when combined with a near-freezing temperature) help this one go down easy. Easily the best NA that I've tried so far.

pmcadamis, Sep 02, 2007
2.15/5  rDev -12.2%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. The appearance is actually surprisingly pretty good with a orange/amber color with a nice creamy white head with good retention and lacing. The aroma is decent as well and a little better than expected with some malt and dark bread. The taste is pretty faint and watery with just a touch of malt. The mouthfeel is the one trait that really detracts from the brew as it is thin and fizzy like a soda. Overall, this is a beer that is decent for what it is but really lacking in the flavor department. I poured my bottle into a glass, but I think this beer actually may be a little better straight out of the bottle.

cjgator3, Aug 26, 2007
2.15/5  rDev -12.2%

This low-alcohol beer promises, but fails to deliver. Maybe because I am so used to fine imports and craft brews? Aroma is malty with a hint of sweetness. Color is a deep golden brown, so it at least looks like real beer. Flavor, however, leaves a lot to be desired. It scarcely tastes like beer - the flavor is thin and, though not nasty, barely mediocre. It feels watery, like a "light" beer. An "A" for effort, but unfortunately somehow the brewers removed the taste along with the alcohol.

Cyberkedi, Jul 04, 2007
2.08/5  rDev -15.1%

N.A. Shootout (With Blanks) IV will be a contest between this English entry and Buckler, the pride of Holland. Or, if you prefer, between the breweries themselves, Guinness Ltd. and Heineken Brouwerijen. Which one of these giants can brew the most palatable low alcohol beer? If the first three contests in the series were any indication, it'll come down to which one is the least offensive.

I don't believe I've ever seen such a stark difference in color between two beers in any of my head-to-head matchups. Kaliber is pale orange and Buckler is sun-bleached straw. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Guinness uses caramel coloring. The heads are both more than respectable. This one is off-white and the other is bright white. Since I have no preference regarding the colors, the appearance scores should be the same.

Kaliber's nose is the weaker of the two and smells quite a bit less like beer. There's no real offensiveness since there isn't much present to offend. Even though I'm going to give the edge to its competitor, I appreciate the fact that I can venture near this glass as many times as I want without experiencing that typical N.A. nastiness.

The difference on the palate is even more pronounced. The flavor tastes fake to me. I know that malt extract is occasionally used in home brewing and that I probably couldn't tell the difference between it and all-grain in the hands of someone who knows what he's doing. So instead of malt extract, let's just say that Kaliber tastes like beer made with beer extract. Not good.

There isn't much difference in the mouthfeels since both are lighter than light. In terms of carbonation, though, this beer is the clear loser because it doesn't have enough bubbles. There's nothing like a lack of carbonation to make a light-bodied beer feel lousy in the mouth.

It looks like Guinness has taken it on the chin in N.A. Shootout (With Blanks) IV. This isn't anywhere close to good low alcohol beer, although it isn't quite the worst version that I've ever had. Not only that, but the name has always reminded me of a brand of condoms for some reason. I'll refrain from any jokes about how flaccid Kaliber is. But it is.

BuckeyeNation, Jan 27, 2007
3.68/5  rDev +50.2%

This non alcoholic brew has a clear yet dull copper amber color. There is light retention of a white head and light retention. There is plenty in the nose, unfortunately somewhat more than in the taste. There are smells of honey, nuts, substantial malts, with a bit of a grassy odor. The taste is very bready and grassy. There are no hope to speak of. This brew tastes kind of like wort smells, very malty and light. Tastes more like a beer themed refreshment than an actual beer. The mouthfeel is light and crisp. All that said, for the style, it's an ok non-alcoholic beer.

xoqx, Nov 19, 2006
3.03/5  rDev +23.7%

I haven't had a n/a for a long time, and I was in a bar that was really far away from home watching a friends band play, so I ordered this.

App: Red, fizzy.
Smell: Generic red beer. Nothing stuck out.
Mouth: It's beer. Maybe a little thinner, but not enough to detract from flat average.
Taste: Pretty decent. It tasted somewhat like caramel, and I could taste the hops, and the sense was...I KNOW THIS! It was Genesee Red Lager without the alcohol. Wow, it was almost a copy, and since I drink GRL all the time, it was welcome.

HOWEVER, in the stores, this stuff is $8 for a six! I would drink it again if I want a n/a at a bar, but I'd never buy this at home. Still, one of the better NAs I've tried, but OMNA still wins for taste/value.

Ricochet, Oct 29, 2006
2.28/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured a nice light copper color and clear. Highly carbonated with a thick whipped-cream head. Smell was sweet caramel, though not all that beer-like and had something unpleasant that I can't quite put my finger on. Huskiness/astringency, maybe? Flavor was similar; really sweet with some huskiness. Some malt was there, but not much. Body was medium. Mouthfeel wasn't bad, and can't really find much fault in the drinkability.

Somewhat disappointing. Better ice cold and right out of the bottle.

shererjt, May 21, 2006
2.7/5  rDev +10.2%

Bottle from Swedish "Systembolaget".

Golden honey color, white non-lasting head. Very sweet scent, like sirup. Short sweet flavor, a bit fruity aftertaste. No bitterness.

It’s not the best non-alcohol beer I’ve had, but not the worst either.

I like my beers to taste more, especially from hops. This was a bit tame. If I want a good non-alcohol beer I'd choose a Clausthaler or Jever Fun instead.

gnoff, May 05, 2006
1.95/5  rDev -20.4%

A NA brew, just for shits and grins – well, a lot more shit than grins. Good grief, NAs are bad. Clear amber brown brew, minuscule head that quickly died, leaving brown crap water behind. A nasty, meaty and grassy aroma drifted towards my nose, and the taste – whoo. It was somewhat a candy apple followed by a vinegary aftertaste.

Extremely tangy, sharp and crisp – to take your mind away from the off tastes. This was a real struggle to finish! But as the label advises: “Serve Ice Cold” . No argument there. I can’t imagine people drinking this stuff to avoid alcohol – better to just drink a diet coke with lime to blend into a social situation.

Vancer, Jan 17, 2006
2.23/5  rDev -9%

I was really looking forward to trying this as Guinness' NA beer. The color was golden with the scent of almost apple juice mixed with a little bit of beer. the taste was smooth with barely any beer falvor with an aftertaste that tasted like a corn soda. The afertaste stuck in my mouth all night even after I brushed my teeth and made me sick. Stick with Clausthaler if you must drink an NA beer.

xduderx, Oct 06, 2005
1.68/5  rDev -31.4%

The colour is gold, the large foam sinks slowly down to a finger thick uneven head.

The smell is strong with sweet flavours of oats and roasted malt. It is bitter and very artificial – chemical.

The taste is bitter and sweet, it tastes a bit like carbonated treacle with bitter hops. The aftertaste is similar to toffee ice cream sauce with some bitterness.

The carbonation is strong, almost sharp, and short.

bark, Oct 01, 2005
1.95/5  rDev -20.4%

Dark brass with a big-bubble head. Nose is dirty dishwater that someone dumped a stale beer into. Taste is malty and sweet. Beer soda. The mouthfeel is quite thin and tastes like bad soda water. Not very drinkable...the sweetness is tough to deal with after a few sips.

pentathlete, Aug 31, 2005
Kaliber from Guinness Ltd.