Kaliber - Guinness Ltd.

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-07-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kaliber Alström Bros
colts9016

Idaho

2.15/5  rDev -12.2%

Appearance: A dark golden amber color beer that had a one finger head. The head dissipated to a 1/8 quarter inch white ring around the ale glass. The clarity of the beer is mostly clear with a slight cloudiness. It just seems there is some some particles suspended in the beer.

Nose: It smells like cheerios, and wheat bread. with a hint of citrus and floral.

Taste: The beer taste like Wheat bread/cheerios there is a funky note that seems like a light molasses and citrus note.

Overall: God forbid the human that like this shit. It is not good. There is a carbonation mouth feel with little to no finish except for that funky note.

12-27-2008 23:18:34 | More by colts9016
hwwty4

Missouri

2.13/5  rDev -13.1%

Review #300

Poured a 12oz bottle into my New Belgium globe. This beer pours a deep caramel copper with a 2 inch white head that left no lacing as the beer recedes. The aroma is pretty vacant from the beer. There is just a slight caramel note if you really focus. This beer is pretty void for flavor also. Slight toffee notes with a club soda flavor intermingled. The mouthfeel is dry and unassuming. This is probably one of the better beers for a NA but give me the booze. I think that the process of extracting the alcohol really took a lot out of the beer. Judging by the color, I actually thought I was in for a treat.

12-08-2008 21:16:47 | More by hwwty4
generallee

2.4/5  rDev -2%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a little dimpled Guinness mug.

Appearance: The body had a nice light honey color with a small creamy off white colored head. The head fades quickly leaving nothing behind.

Smell: Its aroma was light and some buttery, sweet and bready notes.

Taste/Mouth feel: It has a light body and a thin watery texture with odd buttery and grainy flavored malt. Also there is a mild and bland over cooked hop flavor that sneaks into the finish. The carbonation is lifeless and almost flat.

Notes: Overall it had more beer flavor than I expected (similar to a weak watered down English Bitter) but I still wouldn't seek this one out.

10-21-2008 02:27:22 | More by generallee
Georgiabeer

Georgia

2.1/5  rDev -14.3%

This bottle was left in my fridge by my father-in-law on his last visit, so I decided to pop it and see what it tasted like. Pours almost still with no real head. Light brownish amber. Smells like Wasa crackers, very crackery with rye and pumpernickel aromas. Dry malt. Light tasting with some grainy sourness, more of the crackery flavor and some mouthcoating sweetness at the end that is a bit cloying. Don't think I could drink a whole one.

07-06-2008 03:42:46 | More by Georgiabeer
dewalt

1.5/5  rDev -38.8%

I had high hopes for Kaliber, since it's brewed by the makers of Guinness. Alas, I was disappointed. Kaliber boasts a strong, sickly sweet aroma of wort, kind of a hay-like barnyard smell. It tastes sweet too, with hints of corn, but mostly just like sugar water with hay in it. In a word: gross.

06-29-2008 00:10:40 | More by dewalt
scaliasux

Wisconsin

Appearance - Clear dark gold. Fairly tall white head that disappears quickly into a thin film.

Smell - Light honey and molasses scent. Not at all difficult to discern, unlike many low alcohol beers.

Taste - Watered down flavor - as one would expect. Delivers on the scent. Light honey and molasses flavor. No indication of hops. Not spectacular, but not unpleasant.

Mouthfeel - Light. Very crisp.

Drinkability - This beats most low alcohol beer simply by providing something to taste. Doesn't exactly deliver much in the way of beer flavor - but you can't have everything. I'd pick this over the other low alcohols I've tried.

04-15-2008 02:14:18 | More by scaliasux
Onslow

4.25/5  rDev +73.5%

A truly great beer... has a delicious flavour for a reduced alcohol beer .. the foam level is awesome, lower on the lacing ... flavour is good, even fooled a friend thinking this was a regular beer ... wonderful on a warm day when alcohol is not an option!!

04-06-2008 19:09:19 | More by Onslow
JDV

1.05/5  rDev -57.1%

Very pale clearish, orange amber color. Frothy white head that faded quickly. Oddly sweet malt smell. kind of plasticy bandaid-ish, medicinal sweetness. Tastes like a honey dipped band-aid. Strange, unnatural, and I would rather have a coke poured in a beer bottle if I wanted people to think I was drinking beer without drinking beer. Awful. I can't believe the ratings are even this high.

02-06-2008 23:09:14 | More by JDV
Gusler

Arizona

The beer emerges from the 12 ounce bottle a limpid gold with a depleted semi-creamy white head that evaporates leaving a patchy coating of lace to almost cover the glass. Nose is sweet malted grain, fresh and crisp to the senses, start lightly sweet with a decent grain presence, top is light in feel. Finish is prickly in its acidity, the hops present and light as one would expect, quite dry aftertaste, a drinkable brew for its type. Do to a recent recurring, medical problem, It satisfies my taste for beer, not the alcohol, I just like the taste, besides how much water and Gatorade can one person take? lol

10-16-2007 19:16:52 | More by Gusler
pmcadamis

2.78/5  rDev +13.5%

A - This amber brew sports a small but decent-looking off-white head, and leaves a very small amount of alce on the glass.

S - Smells sweet and grainy with a little trace of hops and lots of caramelish malts. Syrupy and sweet to my nose.

T - This is pretty damn malty and tasty for an NA brew! It still doesn't quite taste like beer, but if I think of it as just another beverage and not an actual beer it's damn good! The main flavor component is carmel malt with some dry and tangy aproximation of hop bitterness.

M - On the lighter side of medium bodied, but very solid and hefty for the style. This finishes sandy, dry, and slightly bitter with a lingering aftertaste that makes me want another sip.

D - Loads of carbonation (when combined with a near-freezing temperature) help this one go down easy. Easily the best NA that I've tried so far.

09-02-2007 13:09:44 | More by pmcadamis
cjgator3

2.15/5  rDev -12.2%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. The appearance is actually surprisingly pretty good with a orange/amber color with a nice creamy white head with good retention and lacing. The aroma is decent as well and a little better than expected with some malt and dark bread. The taste is pretty faint and watery with just a touch of malt. The mouthfeel is the one trait that really detracts from the brew as it is thin and fizzy like a soda. Overall, this is a beer that is decent for what it is but really lacking in the flavor department. I poured my bottle into a glass, but I think this beer actually may be a little better straight out of the bottle.

08-26-2007 14:59:10 | More by cjgator3
Cyberkedi

Georgia

2.15/5  rDev -12.2%

This low-alcohol beer promises, but fails to deliver. Maybe because I am so used to fine imports and craft brews? Aroma is malty with a hint of sweetness. Color is a deep golden brown, so it at least looks like real beer. Flavor, however, leaves a lot to be desired. It scarcely tastes like beer - the flavor is thin and, though not nasty, barely mediocre. It feels watery, like a "light" beer. An "A" for effort, but unfortunately somehow the brewers removed the taste along with the alcohol.

07-04-2007 00:13:01 | More by Cyberkedi
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.08/5  rDev -15.1%

N.A. Shootout (With Blanks) IV will be a contest between this English entry and Buckler, the pride of Holland. Or, if you prefer, between the breweries themselves, Guinness Ltd. and Heineken Brouwerijen. Which one of these giants can brew the most palatable low alcohol beer? If the first three contests in the series were any indication, it'll come down to which one is the least offensive.

I don't believe I've ever seen such a stark difference in color between two beers in any of my head-to-head matchups. Kaliber is pale orange and Buckler is sun-bleached straw. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Guinness uses caramel coloring. The heads are both more than respectable. This one is off-white and the other is bright white. Since I have no preference regarding the colors, the appearance scores should be the same.

Kaliber's nose is the weaker of the two and smells quite a bit less like beer. There's no real offensiveness since there isn't much present to offend. Even though I'm going to give the edge to its competitor, I appreciate the fact that I can venture near this glass as many times as I want without experiencing that typical N.A. nastiness.

The difference on the palate is even more pronounced. The flavor tastes fake to me. I know that malt extract is occasionally used in home brewing and that I probably couldn't tell the difference between it and all-grain in the hands of someone who knows what he's doing. So instead of malt extract, let's just say that Kaliber tastes like beer made with beer extract. Not good.

There isn't much difference in the mouthfeels since both are lighter than light. In terms of carbonation, though, this beer is the clear loser because it doesn't have enough bubbles. There's nothing like a lack of carbonation to make a light-bodied beer feel lousy in the mouth.

It looks like Guinness has taken it on the chin in N.A. Shootout (With Blanks) IV. This isn't anywhere close to good low alcohol beer, although it isn't quite the worst version that I've ever had. Not only that, but the name has always reminded me of a brand of condoms for some reason. I'll refrain from any jokes about how flaccid Kaliber is. But it is.

01-27-2007 14:20:24 | More by BuckeyeNation
xoqx

Washington

3.68/5  rDev +50.2%

This non alcoholic brew has a clear yet dull copper amber color. There is light retention of a white head and light retention. There is plenty in the nose, unfortunately somewhat more than in the taste. There are smells of honey, nuts, substantial malts, with a bit of a grassy odor. The taste is very bready and grassy. There are no hope to speak of. This brew tastes kind of like wort smells, very malty and light. Tastes more like a beer themed refreshment than an actual beer. The mouthfeel is light and crisp. All that said, for the style, it's an ok non-alcoholic beer.

11-19-2006 04:42:29 | More by xoqx
Ricochet

3.03/5  rDev +23.7%

I haven't had a n/a for a long time, and I was in a bar that was really far away from home watching a friends band play, so I ordered this.

App: Red, fizzy.
Smell: Generic red beer. Nothing stuck out.
Mouth: It's beer. Maybe a little thinner, but not enough to detract from flat average.
Taste: Pretty decent. It tasted somewhat like caramel, and I could taste the hops, and the sense was...I KNOW THIS! It was Genesee Red Lager without the alcohol. Wow, it was almost a copy, and since I drink GRL all the time, it was welcome.

HOWEVER, in the stores, this stuff is $8 for a six! I would drink it again if I want a n/a at a bar, but I'd never buy this at home. Still, one of the better NAs I've tried, but OMNA still wins for taste/value.

10-29-2006 05:25:03 | More by Ricochet
shererjt

2.28/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured a nice light copper color and clear. Highly carbonated with a thick whipped-cream head. Smell was sweet caramel, though not all that beer-like and had something unpleasant that I can't quite put my finger on. Huskiness/astringency, maybe? Flavor was similar; really sweet with some huskiness. Some malt was there, but not much. Body was medium. Mouthfeel wasn't bad, and can't really find much fault in the drinkability.

Somewhat disappointing. Better ice cold and right out of the bottle.

05-21-2006 01:36:55 | More by shererjt
gnoff

Sweden

2.7/5  rDev +10.2%

Bottle from Swedish "Systembolaget".

Golden honey color, white non-lasting head. Very sweet scent, like sirup. Short sweet flavor, a bit fruity aftertaste. No bitterness.

It’s not the best non-alcohol beer I’ve had, but not the worst either.

I like my beers to taste more, especially from hops. This was a bit tame. If I want a good non-alcohol beer I'd choose a Clausthaler or Jever Fun instead.

05-05-2006 19:49:18 | More by gnoff
Vancer

1.95/5  rDev -20.4%

A NA brew, just for shits and grins – well, a lot more shit than grins. Good grief, NAs are bad. Clear amber brown brew, minuscule head that quickly died, leaving brown crap water behind. A nasty, meaty and grassy aroma drifted towards my nose, and the taste – whoo. It was somewhat a candy apple followed by a vinegary aftertaste.

Extremely tangy, sharp and crisp – to take your mind away from the off tastes. This was a real struggle to finish! But as the label advises: “Serve Ice Cold” . No argument there. I can’t imagine people drinking this stuff to avoid alcohol – better to just drink a diet coke with lime to blend into a social situation.

01-17-2006 14:24:42 | More by Vancer
xduderx

Tennessee

2.23/5  rDev -9%

I was really looking forward to trying this as Guinness' NA beer. The color was golden with the scent of almost apple juice mixed with a little bit of beer. the taste was smooth with barely any beer falvor with an aftertaste that tasted like a corn soda. The afertaste stuck in my mouth all night even after I brushed my teeth and made me sick. Stick with Clausthaler if you must drink an NA beer.

10-06-2005 13:11:47 | More by xduderx
bark

Sweden

1.68/5  rDev -31.4%

The colour is gold, the large foam sinks slowly down to a finger thick uneven head.

The smell is strong with sweet flavours of oats and roasted malt. It is bitter and very artificial – chemical.

The taste is bitter and sweet, it tastes a bit like carbonated treacle with bitter hops. The aftertaste is similar to toffee ice cream sauce with some bitterness.

The carbonation is strong, almost sharp, and short.

10-01-2005 09:28:21 | More by bark
pentathlete

1.95/5  rDev -20.4%

Dark brass with a big-bubble head. Nose is dirty dishwater that someone dumped a stale beer into. Taste is malty and sweet. Beer soda. The mouthfeel is quite thin and tastes like bad soda water. Not very drinkable...the sweetness is tough to deal with after a few sips.

08-31-2005 02:25:03 | More by pentathlete
riversider76

3.35/5  rDev +36.7%

Why do I bother? Wait, I know...Wifey dosen't like me to drink during the week! Pours a nice golden color,with a better head and lace than some regular beers. This review is comparing to other NA's . Light mouthfeel with a better than average taste. Still has that sweet malt taste. If you have to have a NA,give it a shot.

08-04-2005 00:36:38 | More by riversider76
freed

Oregon

2.15/5  rDev -12.2%

I'd love to write about why I have this, etc, but that's not really important to the review.

Pours a nearly golden with excellent clarity. Slight hues of orange in lower light. Amazing white foam that folds and collapses like hot break. Lasts for much of the drink.

Aroma is of only of malt. Pre-boiled malt. There's light DME and a nutty crystal or maybe southing further south like a Munich. No hops, nothing else.

Taste is like an unboiled wort, sans hops. Purely of malt, and like licking the paddle after cleaning the container of light malt extract. It's rather boring and simple, and I get the feeling that if this were boiled down, you'd get the same ingredient that I would later pour in to my beer. I can only assume that the unfermented malt sugars are there to give it the characteristic of a good beer, and while it's a good idea, it just isn't that good.

07-23-2005 04:40:59 | More by freed
cypressbob

United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

1.75/5  rDev -28.6%

440ml can

Pours with an insipid straw yellow body, slight fizzy head with little retention

Smell, slightly malty, some hint of adjunct, slightly off

Taste, not very pleasant, slightly malty, some hint of corn

Not worth drinking even if u are driving, avoid

12-10-2004 16:19:20 | More by cypressbob
DrunkMcDermott

2.13/5  rDev -13.1%

I guess this is no better than I could've expected, but at least it's a step up from, say, an O'Doul's. Pours a soda pop fizziness with no head. But I must admit, it does look a bit like an ale, and there's a slight ale smell, so points there. Taste is still weak and watery, but there are the remains of a slightly malty ale taste here, even a slightly floral hop note. If you don't compare it to real beer, it stands up as something you can drink for lunch that's still less than half the sugar of a soda.

09-01-2004 15:52:57 | More by DrunkMcDermott
Kaliber from Guinness Ltd.