Guinness Black Lager - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Black LagerGuinness Black Lager

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Euro Dark Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: mdagnew on 04-03-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Black Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 430 | Hads: 1,905
3.18/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Better than I expected - abv's a little too for what I'm usually looking for, but this had a lightly roasty and toasty flavor, mild background sweetness, and it drank quickly and cleanly. (187 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Not a horrible black lager by any means, but nothing major about it. A great velvety texture, but little in the way of flavor. A little bit of roast to it. (157 characters)

3.07/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I thought Guinness stout was a little on the watery side, but this one is much thinner. Barely any roasted malts at all. A touch of that euro lager taste a la Stella Artois. Kind of lame and unremarkable. What's up with that "Cold Brewed" shit? Let's not try to be ole blue mountain Coors here. (294 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

At 4.5%, it's easy drinking, with a mild dark lager flavor. A good substitute for the traditional lager, when you want something just a little different. (154 characters)

3.44/5  rDev +12.1%

Really expected more from this beer. Wanted it to be awesome, turned out not bad. A little light for my taste, love the heavier stuff. Still love Guinness! Just not this... (172 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

rb

Bottle from the COOP... Clear dark walnut brew, foamy light khaki head sticks around for a bit... Nose shows washed out dark malt and little else. Flavor is dry bitter maltiness with background dry toast... No hops to speak off... watery.. Won't ever buy again.

3.75/2.5/2.25/2.5/2.25 (289 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -1.3%

Consumed on St. Pats day just to say I had some Guinness. Pours black as night with a finger of off white head that dissipates quickly. Overly carbonated for the style.

Aroma yields dark roasted grains, molasses, and unsweetened chocolate.

Taste is as if they took a flavorful beer and just removed all of the flavor.... Up front I get some of that sweet molases and roasted barley, but this is extremely short lived. After that initial thought of flavor, the beer converts to a light bodied, over-carbonated mess. I get some mineraliness but not nearly as much as the Guinness stout.

Overall, not something I would ever get again. I can understand the market I guess, but definitely not my cup of tea ( or beer for that matter). Also I'm not understanding the cold brewed methodology they are boasting? I would pair this with a nice Reuben sando or corned beef and cabbage ( I mean that's the only time I would ever consider a Guinness beer). it gets a 61/100. (966 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

I am not sure why people don't care for this beer, but I love the taste and the smooth coffee smell and flavor. While I recognize that there are better black lagers, I maintain this is an oldie but goodie. (205 characters)

~~~
I know several who loved the smooth Guinness Black Lager, I am very disappointed the Black Lager has been discontinued in Colorado, we feel it wasn't on the market long enough to gain traction. At our house we will not be buying the dainty Guinness Blonde brew.

As I stated earlier we very much miss the Guinness Black Lager, with the holidays near, we are looking for a different brand to replace the Guinness Black Lager. Here in Fort Collins, Colorado I've put the word out to many of our Craft Breweries are looking for a smooth Black Euro-Lager. (556 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +41.7%

Date: 8/17/14
Other notes: Beer said to "enjoy ice-cold straight from the bottle", so that's what I did--partially. I made sure the beer was super cold, however I poured into a glass so I could see the color and get the smell better, and do a proper review.

Appearance - 3.5/5
The foamy head appears while pouring, but immediately dissipates after the beer has sat still for a few seconds. Pours a dark dark brown (some would say black). No light goes through this beer. Since the beer is so dark, you cannot see any of the carbonation rising through the beer, unless you look at the top of the beer.

Smell - 4.4/5
Malty, maybe toffee-like smell. A little bit of sweet fruity smell (raisins?). Actually the smell is quite hard to define. Being no beer expert, I have no words to put to it other than it smells similar to the Guinness Extra Stout (which I like a lot).

Taste - 4/5
Tastes similar to the Guinness Extra Stout, but is more crisp, and not as creamy as the Extra Stout. I can taste the standard lager taste if I focus on it, and I can taste the Guinness taste (i.e. the same smell as the Extra Stout) if I focus on that. In that respect, the beer really does what it claims to do on the label which is "to deliver the refreshing taste of lager with the unique character of guinness". I don't normally like lagers, but I do like the Guinness flavor and this is a lager I definitely like.

Mouthfeel - 4.5/5
As described above, the beer is quite crisp. The carbonation is present throughout the whole sip, which is nice. The beer has a fairly light body, perhaps a little watery. I love the crispness of the beer, which the Extra Stout does not have. this might be my new replacement for the Extra Stout, or at least an alternative. This is a nice crisp beer I could drink on a summer night.

Overall - 4.5/5
This beers pulls off what it claims to do quite well, which is to combine a lager with a Guinness. In terms of Guinness, this tastes much closer to the Extra Stout than the standard Draught. I was very surprised by this beer. Part of me feels like I shouldn't be rating it so high, because it's "not really a craft brew". But each beer should be judged on its own merits, regardless of what company brews it. This is a quality brew from Guinness.

Weighting: Appearance 15%, Smell 15%, Taste 35%, Mouthfeel 15%, Overall 20% (2,348 characters)

This beer is not a bad beer, just very bland. The appearance is dark black with an off white head. The smell is very subtle with some sweetness coming through. The taste was a bit flat. There was a bit of bitterness in the beginning but the rest was rather neutral. Also not a fan of the mouthfeel which was too thin and not enough carbonation. (344 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -3.3%

Singles cooler at Kessler's in Aberdeen, SD.

Appearance (4) : Cap pops off with a good hiss and pours a fine, three fingered head, beige in color. The body is a coffee brown-black with 95% opacity. Hardly any light passes through, if any at all. Licks of lace are left around the glass with a quarter-thickness ring left throughout the review.

Aroma (3.25) : Dark earth notes, some old coffee grounds, mud. Not much here for character in the aroma. A little bit of barley malt with the imagination.

Taste (2.75) : Bitter-sour clash of dark roasted malts with just a hint of roasted coffee. The roast coffee flavor dries on the palate like a coat of paint in your mouth. I'm not too happy with this one.

Mouthfeel (3) : Carbonated lager feel, with a slight creaminess from the head. Dry, putrid roast coffee on the finish that doesn't go away fast enough.

Overall (2.97) : Dump. A poorly executed dark beer. I didn't think I'd be giving this 5's, but I didn't expect it to be quite this bad either. The roast flavor is okay, but it stays too long and becomes pasty on the palate after the swallow. A good example of how to NOT brew a black lager. (1,151 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +61.2%

Excellent beer - Full bodied and sessionable. Everything you could ask for in a beer. -0.05/5 because some other Schwarzbiers are better, in my opinion, though this is a go-to beer for me. (189 characters)

Guinness Black Lager has a pretty thick, spongy, beige head, which dies away rather quickly, a very dark brown appearance, with some brown highlights around the edges where the light hits it, and faint lacing left behind. The aroma is of mild, dark bread crust with a trace of sweetness. Taste is of dark, but not burnt, malt, sweetness, bread, and a rounding hop bitterness at the end. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Guinness Black Lager finishes smooth and highly drinkable.

RJT (486 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +14%

Pours dark and completely opaque without much ruby hue or chance to see it. Thick persistent tan head of loose bubbles that lasted and left lace. Nose is low malt aroma that has a a light bit of floral hops that come forward as it warms. At first there is a only a grain scent then as the beer opens up , there is a light caramel, a bit of weak coffee and a lightly sweet and very light cocoa powder.

Taste is rich and fullish. A very small hint of the green apple right out of the bottle and then it fades off in the drink in submission to the roast. Medium mouthfeel and very creamy. Smooth malt that does show some mild roast as the beer opens up, light caramel, light cocoa and weak coffee. It finishes with a roasty dryness and a touch of hops at the very last minute.

I would say that this beer is not terribly sweet but has a luscious mouthfeel that accents the subtle flavors that it does have. Has a brief bite from carbonation and drinks very well. After taste is brown bread. (1,003 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +5.9%

A pours dark. not a log lasting tan head that did not stick around

S I smelled it right away when poured. Toasty grain taste.

T I get a significant part of the toast in the taste

M- moderate thickness with little carbonation.

O - People don’t seem to like this, but I think it is a decent beer. (304 characters)

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Dark roasted malt
Appearance- Has a dark coffee color with a tan colored head.
Taste- Strong flavor of roasted malt with a bitter flavor, nice
Palate- A medium bodied brew with moderate carbonation, has a creamy to slight oily texture that goes well with the flavor.
Overall- A nice Euro Dark Lager, I would order this if I saw it on a bar list. (398 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +5.9%

This beer pours with a lot of promise - nice foamy head, good colour, decent nose. Overall, there is nothing wrong with this beer. It is underwhelming, more than anything else. The roasted malts are very faint and there is little depth or complexity in the flavour. There are far better Euro Dark Lagers than this, but I would not turn it down if there was nothing else to drink. (379 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +54.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

As the name suggests, it's a bit of a darker spin on Guinness stout. Pour yields a gentle head. The aroma is intoxicating. The roasted barley absolutely dances off the beer. Like the stout, it seems much darker and heavier than it actually is. The malt is balanced very nicely. So full of flavor, without feeling too overpowering. (330 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -18.6%

Guinness and Lager do not mix. I love Guinness Regular (in the pub) and Guinness Extra Stout and my favorite is Foreign Extra but this Guinness is terrible. It tasted slightly like Guinness but it just didn't hit the spot of the way other Guinness tastes. Lager is lager and Guinness is Guinness. Just keep it that way. (319 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Black with some ruby red highlights. Head fizzed out right away like soda.

S: Very sweet. Some caramel. Somewhat metallic as well.

T: Like the aroma. A bit too sweet for my liking. I get a bit of a metallic flavor that I picked up in the aroma as well. Fakey overdone caramel malts also come through. I get very very minimal roast character. Bitterness is very low.

M: Soda water. Very water and weak with moderately higher carbonation.

O: I wanted to like this but it really just seemed like a sweeter, black, macro lager to me. I could easily see this appealing to you're average BMC drinker if they were told to drink it straight from the bottle and didn't know it was black. Poor example of style and just a lame lack luster beer in general. (752 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bottle: Poured a clear dark color lager with a small off-white foamy head with OK retention. Aroma of lightly toasted malt is mildly pleasant. Taste is also dominated by lightly toasted malt with light dry bitter notes and watery finish. Body is light with OK carbonation. This is a water-down version of Guinness which says a lot about this beer. (347 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -0.3%

This lager pours a deep brownish mahogany with a dish soap like off white head and minimal lacing. The nose is an unappealing blend of malt sweetness and an almost chemical aroma. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy as one would expect from a guiness product. The flavor is a lack luster blend of roasted malts and...well, not much else. This one isn't bad but it is nit something I'll be returning to again. (403 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A 11.2 ounce bottle poured into a shaker pint glass.

Appearance - A pitch black beer with a foamy tan head that doesn't hang around very long. Good stickage. A handsome beer.

Smell - Just barely.

Taste - Mild roasted malt/black licorice flavor followed, quickly, by a crisp hop hit.

Mouth - Fizzy.

Overall - Imagine a very attractive women with little personality. This beer looks great but the overall experience is unsatisfying. Don't get me wrong; this is not a bad tasting beer. The taste, initially, is pleasant. Almost immediately, however, the flavor disappears. This beer is chugable but, aside from the buzz, what's the point. This beer is less than the some of its parts (hence, the 3.50 overall rating). P.S. Your American adjunct lager drinking buddies might like it. (788 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Guinness Black Lager $8.99(OH)

11.2 oz brown bottle poured into a stemless white wine glass. No freshness date.

pours a shade lighter than Guinness draught. holding it up i can see my ceiling light through the glass. a two finger tan head that doesn't last long and gives way to minimal lacing.

i can smell some roasted malts, a bit of coffee, and maybe some caramel flavors.

taste follows the nose. A decent roasted malt followed by a weak touch of coffee. A slight toffee caramel taste at the end.

the mouth feel is poor. very watery and hardly any taste clings to your palate. It is smooth, but there's not a whole lot there to smooth out to begin with.

Overall this is what i expected. A supplement for Guinness draught. Not my Cup of tea if you know what i mean. I mean Guinness was just OK, it's little brother is gonna be weaker. (844 characters)

Guinness Black Lager from Guinness Ltd.