Guinness Black Lager - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Black LagerGuinness Black Lager

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Euro Dark Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: mdagnew on 04-03-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Black Lager Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,903 | Reviews: 440

~~~
I know several who loved the smooth Guinness Black Lager, I am very disappointed the Black Lager has been discontinued in Colorado, we feel it wasn't on the market long enough to gain traction. At our house we will not be buying the dainty Guinness Blonde brew.

As I stated earlier we very much miss the Guinness Black Lager, with the holidays near, we are looking for a different brand to replace the Guinness Black Lager. Here in Fort Collins, Colorado I've put the word out to many of our Craft Breweries are looking for a smooth Black Euro-Lager.

Good.

4.95/5  rDev +57.6%

Excellent beer - Full bodied and sessionable. Everything you could ask for in a beer. -0.05/5 because some other Schwarzbiers are better, in my opinion, though this is a go-to beer for me.

4.94/5  rDev +57.3%

Fantastic brew! Better than buttwiper!

4.74/5  rDev +51%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

As the name suggests, it's a bit of a darker spin on Guinness stout. Pour yields a gentle head. The aroma is intoxicating. The roasted barley absolutely dances off the beer. Like the stout, it seems much darker and heavier than it actually is. The malt is balanced very nicely. So full of flavor, without feeling too overpowering.

4.71/5  rDev +50%

Extremely smooth. Great beer and no bad after taste. First time Guinness drinker here. Can't wait to try more Guinness.

4.68/5  rDev +49%

Pours a fantastic black color with wonderful head and some very nice lacing. Excellent scent with a cool and sweet maltiness, great toastiness scents, and hints of chocolate. Fantastic flavors, with a great smooth and sweet malt with excellent undertoned yet noticable chocolate bites, and slight coffee hints; slight earthy hop finish. Extremely smooth, it goes down a treat.

4.56/5  rDev +45.2%

If you know what a black lager is, and what characteristics it is supposed to have, this is pretty much a perfect representation.

A black lager is supposed to be lighter in mouthfeel (high drinkability and refreshing), with a stout-like sweet, roasted-malt taste. This is what Guinness's black lager is. It is a little light in color for a black lager, but that is the only deficiency. It has a very not heavy mouthfeel (very different than Guinness stouts, as it should be). It has a very strong roasted malt taste with nodes of sweetness from the converted starches.

If you like black lager, drink this.

4.43/5  rDev +41.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm surprised that Guinness Black Lager is rated as poorly as it is on the site. I thoroughly enjoy this beer, and if I'm ever out somewhere that has it, I almost always get it rather than whatever I was going to order before I saw it on the menu. This beer not only looks cool with it's dark appearance, but is surprisingly smooth considering how dark it is. It still packs a good lager flavor, though. Of course it's not traditional Guinness, but it's just as enjoyable to me.

4.38/5  rDev +39.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As a huge fan of Guinness Draught, this Lager raises the bar.

It pours dark and appears heavy, but sits well after drinking. A very crisp, clean finish with plenty of taste.

A perfect beer for anyone who wants to drink the best.

Great job Guinness - keep it up.

4.35/5  rDev +38.5%

Date: 8/17/14
Other notes: Beer said to "enjoy ice-cold straight from the bottle", so that's what I did--partially. I made sure the beer was super cold, however I poured into a glass so I could see the color and get the smell better, and do a proper review.

Appearance - 3.5/5
The foamy head appears while pouring, but immediately dissipates after the beer has sat still for a few seconds. Pours a dark dark brown (some would say black). No light goes through this beer. Since the beer is so dark, you cannot see any of the carbonation rising through the beer, unless you look at the top of the beer.

Smell - 4.4/5
Malty, maybe toffee-like smell. A little bit of sweet fruity smell (raisins?). Actually the smell is quite hard to define. Being no beer expert, I have no words to put to it other than it smells similar to the Guinness Extra Stout (which I like a lot).

Taste - 4/5
Tastes similar to the Guinness Extra Stout, but is more crisp, and not as creamy as the Extra Stout. I can taste the standard lager taste if I focus on it, and I can taste the Guinness taste (i.e. the same smell as the Extra Stout) if I focus on that. In that respect, the beer really does what it claims to do on the label which is "to deliver the refreshing taste of lager with the unique character of guinness". I don't normally like lagers, but I do like the Guinness flavor and this is a lager I definitely like.

Mouthfeel - 4.5/5
As described above, the beer is quite crisp. The carbonation is present throughout the whole sip, which is nice. The beer has a fairly light body, perhaps a little watery. I love the crispness of the beer, which the Extra Stout does not have. this might be my new replacement for the Extra Stout, or at least an alternative. This is a nice crisp beer I could drink on a summer night.

Overall - 4.5/5
This beers pulls off what it claims to do quite well, which is to combine a lager with a Guinness. In terms of Guinness, this tastes much closer to the Extra Stout than the standard Draught. I was very surprised by this beer. Part of me feels like I shouldn't be rating it so high, because it's "not really a craft brew". But each beer should be judged on its own merits, regardless of what company brews it. This is a quality brew from Guinness.

Weighting: Appearance 15%, Smell 15%, Taste 35%, Mouthfeel 15%, Overall 20%

4.28/5  rDev +36.3%

A practically black look with a long lasting, tan colored head, very lacy leftovers.

A sweet and roastie malt aroma, light coffee, vanilla, toffee with chocolate coupled with a tasty sour-lager yeast that is just right.

A perfect balance of flavor's, it's one part quality euro lager and one part mild stout. It's guiness all the way. malty, dark wheat, sour yeast, dry earth and stout style dark malt flavor's all in wonderful balance.

The feel is is just right, snappy and dry lager body, light to medium with a smooth, creamy finish with plenty of jazz and kick left to make it VERY easy to quoff. amazingly easy Quoff.

4.21/5  rDev +34.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I absolutely love Guinness, as well as the Foreign Extra, and I think this is a great beer. It was getting so much hate that I decided to create an account and do this as my first review. It is very refreshing and goes down great. Not much smell, but great taste and after-taste, and easy to put down if you are looking for something lighter than Guinness.

4.17/5  rDev +32.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

My Saturday in main stream Ireland has been very much a surprise. Guinness has provided a nice variety pack.

This opens to a nice aroma. Malty and yeasty. The color is as it should be and there is almost enough head and lace (a little more would be nice).

The taste is well balanced. The after taste is quite nice too, with a little more bite than I would expect. Overall this is a nice easy brew and vastly underrated.

4.14/5  rDev +31.8%

Appearance - Didn't look at the beer, so really cannot comment

Smell - clean & fresh. Not overpowering.

Taste - Hops flavor, but not overpowering. Same for the malt.

I really like this beer. I usually prefer ales to lagers because they have more flavor, but this lager is an exception as it has plenty of flavor and no bitterness. It has a pleasant aftertaste. Smooth in the mouth it goes down easy.

I cannot comment on the appearance of the beer as I drank it out of the bottle.

4.09/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

I'v enjoyed Guinness black lager on-tap as well as from the bottle. I have determined this beer needs poured to truly enjoy, despite the fact that the bottle says "ok to drink from bottle".

Tan, foamy head that courses through the body when poured correctly. Dark, impenetrable body.

Smell is lacking, smells the same as Guinness draught, side-by-side it would be hard to tell the difference before tasting.

Taste is amazing, full-bodied with minimal bitterness and a lasting flavorful aftertaste that lingers until your next drink.

Mouthfeel, Like Guinness draught and Blue-moon it is very smooth leaving a refreshing, satisfying feel as it goes down. Almost perfect in my opinion.

4.09/5  rDev +30.3%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A - Like most other Guinnesses, very dark brown with an attractive tan head that's thick, leaves pretty liberal lacing.

S - Most appealing part of the beer in my opinion, fresher than other Guinnesses in the expected lager sort of way, with a nice toast/bread scent coming through.

T - Somewhat bitter, but not in a bad way. Dark malts, has that familiar coffee taste, too.

M - Thinner than other Guinnesses, light, medium carbonation, but you get the impression that the bubbles are very small. To me, a good thing.

O - Not bad. A pleasant twist on the regular. Wouldn't let it sit around long, though, I imagine it might get too bitter.

4.03/5  rDev +28.3%

Poured chilled into a Perfect Pint.

A=Very dark reddish brown...almost opaque. Poured a creamy three finger foamy ecru head.

S=Malted barley; molasses and a hint of nutmeg?

T=Rather bitter, plus a hint of skunkiness. Reminds me of some of the NA beers I've tried. Hop presence is minimal. Seemed to become more sour at the finish.

M=Nice body, but a bit lighter than anticipated. Still, quite drinkable; carbonation is minimal.

O=I'm not overly familiar with Euro Dark Lagers, but this was somewhat enjoyable. I wouldn't purchase a 6-pack of it, but might try it on tap or would choose it over most adjunct lagers, if I was in the mood for a more bitter beer.

4.03/5  rDev +28.3%

Another CAN courtesy of my local, in-person trader, tone77, who knows how to keep me happy when it comes to The CANQuest (TM)!

From the CAN: "Cold brewed with roasted barley"; "Guinness Black Lager is cold-brewed with roasted barley to deliver the refreshing taste of lager with the unique character of Guinness."

The Crack was loud and enticing and I went with an inverted Glug to get things started right. I got an initial two fingers of deep-brown head that actually lightened in color as the pseudo-cascade took place, finally becoming a finger of light-tan head with decent retention. Color was a deep mahogany with ruby highlights (SRM = 44). Nose was very roasty, like my morning coffee. Mouthfeel was silky and the taste was coffee, dark chocolate, smoke, all adding up to a roasty beer with a lager smoothness. Man, did I drink through this quickly! Finish was semi-dry and had just the right amount of roasted malt flavor to keep it from being over the top.

Original, bottle review dtd 03-09-2013 follows:

My local, in-person trader, tone77, brought this for me to try. It has been an interesting day of beer.

From the bottle: "Cold brewed with roasted barley"; "Guinness Black Lager is cold-brewed with roasted barley to deliver the refreshing taste of lager with the unique character of Guinness. Enjoy ice cold straight from the bottle. [undersigned] Arthur Guinness".

First of all, as a founding subscriber to this website's magazine, I try to read and pay attention to it each time it shows up in my mailbox. The Bros were on about glassware this month and while I may not lay my opinions on others, when I am anywhere that I can decant my beer from its medium of storage into a glass, you can bet your sweet bippy that I will do so. Directions be damned, such as the ones on this bottle or on a CAN of Heady Topper. What, if they told you to drink while jumping from a bridge, would you do that, also? Fine, if you want to be mindless sheep, herded along without hue or cry. I will do my own thing, thank you very much!

This Euro Dark Lager must be a relatively new designation as there are no guidelines listed as yet, but I am already a fan. My pour created two dense fingers of light-tan head with good retention. Color was a deep, dark brown with garnet highlights and good clarity despite its low light penetration. Nose had the characteristic lager honey-like sweetness, but in this case, married with a light roastiness. Chocolate malt, perhaps? I wonder about what, exactly, constitutes "roasted barley" for them. Mouthfeel was on the thin side, even for a lager, but the taste was a pleasant mix of chocolate and smokiness along with a mild sweetness. I do not like Cascadian/Dark/Black IPAs because I feel as though such flavors get in the way of my beloved hops, but in this case, they meld nicely. Finish was semi-dry and the mild smokiness seemed to linger well past the swallow. As usual, I would not want a steady diet of this as a self-avowed hophead, but it beats a lot of other lagers. Not bad.

4.03/5  rDev +28.3%

A-pitch black with a nice light tan head

S-European malts with a hint of black coffee. not bad, but a faint scent.

T-comes in with a smooth mix of euro malts and black coffee. its not a strong taste, but its a decent one. reminds me a classic Euro pale lager, except much more smooth and balanced with a light touch of coffee. there's a quality matching after-taste. well balanced

M-medium creamy carbonation with a creamy finish

O-okay, compared to other classic black lagers, this is missing something...its not as exciting or flavorful, but is more drinkable than some others. but as a dark euro lager, this seems to be really good. its actually the best "euro lager" that i've had. can't quite find why people dislike this. i'm finding this to be quite enjoyable, and i'm excited that i decided to get a whole 6-pack.

4.02/5  rDev +28%

11.2oz bottle purchased at Shaw's in North Hampton. Pours a nearly opaque dark brown to black body with a half inch or so of light tan head. Malt and milk chocolate comprise the aroma. Roasty coffee, chocolate, malty notes make up the flavor, though it finishes relatively clean. Medium to light in body with ample carbonation. An easy drinker - the flavors mesh well and don't clobber you over the head and the carbonation, body, and clean finish make this beer seem fairly light. Not bad overall but I'm not sure I'll be having this again any time soon.

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Dark roasted malt
Appearance- Has a dark coffee color with a tan colored head.
Taste- Strong flavor of roasted malt with a bitter flavor, nice
Palate- A medium bodied brew with moderate carbonation, has a creamy to slight oily texture that goes well with the flavor.
Overall- A nice Euro Dark Lager, I would order this if I saw it on a bar list.

Guinness Black Lager has a pretty thick, spongy, beige head, which dies away rather quickly, a very dark brown appearance, with some brown highlights around the edges where the light hits it, and faint lacing left behind. The aroma is of mild, dark bread crust with a trace of sweetness. Taste is of dark, but not burnt, malt, sweetness, bread, and a rounding hop bitterness at the end. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Guinness Black Lager finishes smooth and highly drinkable.

RJT

wow im so glad i find this beer for 27 bucks a case it worth it. its black baby mt favorite color . looks good in a glass a nice beer smell with a taste like dark euro beers, because drinking the regular guinness doesnt do anything for .overall i would drink this and tell other so go try it

A good unique beer, but doesn't rock my house

Guinness Black Lager from Guinness Ltd.