Guinness Black Lager - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Black LagerGuinness Black Lager

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Euro Dark Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: mdagnew on 04-03-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Black Lager Alström Bros
2.45/5  rDev -21.7%

Guinness and Lager do not mix. I love Guinness Regular (in the pub) and Guinness Extra Stout and my favorite is Foreign Extra but this Guinness is terrible. It tasted slightly like Guinness but it just didn't hit the spot of the way other Guinness tastes. Lager is lager and Guinness is Guinness. Just keep it that way.

GuinnessRegular92, Jun 25, 2014
3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

Light, good quality As always.

ChadwickHines, Yesterday at 01:05 PM

dannymo24, Tuesday at 07:33 PM
3.64/5  rDev +16.3%

corywalston, Tuesday at 04:26 AM

~~~
I know several who loved the smooth Guinness Black Lager, I am very disappointed the Black Lager has been discontinued in Colorado, we feel it wasn't on the market long enough to gain traction. At our house we will not be buying the dainty Guinness Blonde brew.

As I stated earlier we very much miss the Guinness Black Lager, with the holidays near, we are looking for a different brand to replace the Guinness Black Lager. Here in Fort Collins, Colorado I've put the word out to many of our Craft Breweries are looking for a smooth Black Euro-Lager.

AgendaBuster, Tuesday at 04:03 AM

AppalachianGyration, Nov 10, 2014

thomasbj7, Nov 10, 2014
4.35/5  rDev +39%

Date: 8/17/14
Other notes: Beer said to "enjoy ice-cold straight from the bottle", so that's what I did--partially. I made sure the beer was super cold, however I poured into a glass so I could see the color and get the smell better, and do a proper review.

Appearance - 3.5/5
The foamy head appears while pouring, but immediately dissipates after the beer has sat still for a few seconds. Pours a dark dark brown (some would say black). No light goes through this beer. Since the beer is so dark, you cannot see any of the carbonation rising through the beer, unless you look at the top of the beer.

Smell - 4.4/5
Malty, maybe toffee-like smell. A little bit of sweet fruity smell (raisins?). Actually the smell is quite hard to define. Being no beer expert, I have no words to put to it other than it smells similar to the Guinness Extra Stout (which I like a lot).

Taste - 4/5
Tastes similar to the Guinness Extra Stout, but is more crisp, and not as creamy as the Extra Stout. I can taste the standard lager taste if I focus on it, and I can taste the Guinness taste (i.e. the same smell as the Extra Stout) if I focus on that. In that respect, the beer really does what it claims to do on the label which is "to deliver the refreshing taste of lager with the unique character of guinness". I don't normally like lagers, but I do like the Guinness flavor and this is a lager I definitely like.

Mouthfeel - 4.5/5
As described above, the beer is quite crisp. The carbonation is present throughout the whole sip, which is nice. The beer has a fairly light body, perhaps a little watery. I love the crispness of the beer, which the Extra Stout does not have. this might be my new replacement for the Extra Stout, or at least an alternative. This is a nice crisp beer I could drink on a summer night.

Overall - 4.5/5
This beers pulls off what it claims to do quite well, which is to combine a lager with a Guinness. In terms of Guinness, this tastes much closer to the Extra Stout than the standard Draught. I was very surprised by this beer. Part of me feels like I shouldn't be rating it so high, because it's "not really a craft brew". But each beer should be judged on its own merits, regardless of what company brews it. This is a quality brew from Guinness.

Weighting: Appearance 15%, Smell 15%, Taste 35%, Mouthfeel 15%, Overall 20%

mchegash, Nov 10, 2014
2.84/5  rDev -9.3%

Khaack, Nov 09, 2014
3.44/5  rDev +9.9%

WholeLottaTricks, Nov 09, 2014

Jlabs, Nov 07, 2014

This beer is not a bad beer, just very bland. The appearance is dark black with an off white head. The smell is very subtle with some sweetness coming through. The taste was a bit flat. There was a bit of bitterness in the beginning but the rest was rather neutral. Also not a fan of the mouthfeel which was too thin and not enough carbonation.

WhiteHillsStore, Nov 04, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

aklude, Nov 04, 2014
Guinness Black Lager from Guinness Ltd.